Aftermath: Movie Night (IC)

Raveled

Jessica Parker pulled her truck into the driveway of her ranch-style condominium. The paved surface went all the way to the back, and when she finally parked the SUV it was entirely hidden from a view off the street. She went into the house by the back door and moved through the building, flipping on all the lights. She was filled with a manic, nervous energy, equal parts caffeine and excitement over what had happened. She finally flounced onto the couch in the front room and pulled out her cellphone, dialing a number she had memorized but not programmed into the phone. She sat there, humming and bouncing slightly as she listened to it ring.

who...? Mara was literally arm-deep in some half-finished invention or another when the phone rang - she sighed, letting it ring a few times before mentally putting it on speaker-phone. The warehouse provided subtle echo as she tiredly gave her usual warm and friendly phone 'hello'.

"Number is unlisted. If you're a telemarketer, or not supposed to have this number, I will blow up your phone."

Jessica rolled her eyes at Mara's usual greeting. "Mara, it's Jessica. Listen, remember that guy I told you about before? Blake Salazar? He saved my ass when we went up against the dead man, you remember!" She squirmed on the couch, drawing her legs up underneath her to get into a more comfortable position. "Well, we had our first date last night. We went to the movies and then we went for a walk in the park, and then--" Jessica broke off, giggling to herself. "Then we kissed. Mara, I kissed a boy! I have a boyfriend and I kissed him!"

"Ah. Hello, Jessica." Mara pulled herself away from her project, putting down her tools and wiping grease on her overalls. try not to think about kissing boys - unsettling "Congratulations. Sounds like a good date...from your tone, he's a good kisser?" happy - happy for her - jealous? - not of a boy....

Jessica blushed at the question. "Well heck, it's not like I have a lot of experience with that. But, um." She blushed brighter, but kept talking. "It was a lot of fun. Made me tingle all the way down to my toes, you know." She sighed hugely, shifting so that she was lying straight-out on the couch. "And now I'm full of caffeine and excitement and now I can't sleeeeeeeep! Woo!"

She laughed a little despite herself, covering her mouth with the (relatively) clean back of her hand to muffle it. "Don't have much context to judge by, myself. Sounds good, though. Glad for you."

Mara turned around and leaned back against the workbench, arms crossed as she addressed the...well, the thin air. "So tell me about your date. Other than the kiss. Good movie?"

"Um. Didn't actually get to see much." She giggled. "One of Blake's enemies was there, and interrupted the movie. Has something against chop-sockey action flicks, I guess. We took him down, but we never did get to see the flick." She took another huge breath, rubbing absently at her eye. "Not that I'm complaining, mind you." She laughed at that, a yawn following on its heels.

Mara shrugged, shaking her head. chop-sockey action flicks? - strange target for villainy - research maybe - look for mentions in the news "Good excuse for a follow-up date. Re-view the movie. Properly, this time. Hopefully."

She tilted her head, just a hint of a smile on her face but when she spoke her voice was still deadpan. "More kisses that way."

Jessica giggled, coffee and fatigue mixing and swirling to suppress her normal inhibitions. "Yeah. That would be nice. And we have a date next week, so that's good news. We're going to a park, so plenty more smoochies." She snuggled down against the couch, hugging herself with her free hand. She drifted off for a bit, but suddenly remembered some of the manners she had memorized. "So did you get a chance to get out at all this week, Mara?"

She tilted her head, thinking back. "Stopped two arms deals. Research...did stop by a junkyard and found very nice materials. Steel, military grade. Didn't know what he had. Was a steal. Not...literal, but almost." Mara shrugged, apparently completely unbothered by having spent most of the week in her warehouse. "Not much else. Quiet few days."

"You need to get out more," Jessica said. "Blake's got a roommate, some guy named Rift. Maybe we can do a double date thing?" Jessica yawned hugely at the end of the invitation, her jaw cracking. Her eyes drifted closed, and her mind started wandering back to her date. "Blake's a great guy. I'm sure you'd like his roomie."

"Rift, Rift...." Mara frowned, tapping a finger against the bench. "Short black hair, guitar player? We've met." She paused, finally adding, "He's...not my type." change the subject change the subject - suspect double date might be awkward

Getting back up on her feet, she turned to fondly look around at her warehouse. "I get out sometimes. See a movie, treat myself to dinner. Pleasurable. If smoochless."

"Didn't meet him, actually," Jessica admitted. "Spent the whole night with Blake. You'd like him, Mara. He's really... nice. And cute. And..." The young woman's words dropped off into a senseless mumble as her chin dropped to her chest. Her eyes closed and didn't open this time, and within seconds Mara could hear the other woman snoring gently.

"We've met. We got along well enough. I think he wanted...." Mara trailed off herself, listening to Jessica snore on the other end of the line. Shaking her head, she waited a few seconds then sent some light (if loud and high-pitched) feedback through the phone. "Wake up, then go to sleep properly. Sound tired. Sounds like a long day - need your rest."

Jessica started awake the high-pitched shrieking, almost dropping her cell phone altogether. She sat upright and then stood, yawning. "Okay, okay," she muttered. "Jeez, could've let me sleep on the couch." She yawned again, rubbing at her eyes and padding off to the bathroom. "Listen, I'll call you tomorrow. We can hit the movies or grab lunch or something. 'Kay?"