Movie Night [IC]

Lone Star

Blake was sitting on a bench just outside the Kingston theater, waiting. He was nervously tapping his foot. He decided to show up almost half an hour before the show in case she showed up early. He was, as he promised, clad in a Rush T-shirt, which showed one of their album covers. Despite having buffet-style meals at Claremont, Blake was still as skinny as a rail, and hadn't gained much muscle despite numerous attempts to do so. He looked around, and sighed. He wiped sweat from his forehead, and looked around again. Meeting a fellow superhero out of costume was one thing, but a date was quite another. He was glad he worked up the courage to ask her, but he was still quite nervous.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica wanted to believe that this was a casual thing, something happening between friends who happened to be of the same age and opposite genders, but she changed her outfit six times anyway. She finally settled on a light green blouse with spiraling designs sewn up the sleeves and around the waistline, with strawberry-colored capris and white athletic shoes. It was just about the only outfit she owned that was vaguely feminine. Her hair was just before her earlobes and she eventually decided to let it hand free. She did wear any jewelry (she didn't own much) but there was a watch with a silvery metal band around one wrist.

She parked her big SUV, pocketed her keychain (she didn't own a purse, their. She'd briefly considered wearing the satchel containing her armor, but she'd figured the theater would never let her take it in. It was in the trunk right now) and stay in the car for a bit, trying to control her breathing, trying not to throw up. Eventually she stepped out and walked towards the theater entrance. She'd done and image search for 'Rush, ban' and memorized the first page of results, so she recognized Kid Cthulhu -- No, he's Blake right now, Jessica reminded herself -- and she walked straight to him.

"Hi," she called, waving one hand in greeting. "Hope you haven't been waiting long." She didn't know how long until their movie, so she just stood there, hands clasped behind her back so she could wring them ceaselessly.

Blake, who was staring at the ground, looked up at her. "Sorry, I was spacing out. Oh wow..." he said, looking at her. "Don't mean to be forward or anything, but you look incredible. In that outfit, I mean. Not that you weren't good looking to begin with..." Aggh! Crap! Stop being awkward, Blake! Despite his obvious nerves, he was really looking forward to this. He hoped she didn't notice the beads of sweat on his forehead. He wiped his forehead off with the sleeve of his shirt and stood up. "Nah, I just like to be at places early. But yeah, we never really decided on a movie, did we? There's a showing of Blood Terror in half an hour...that's the latest slasher flick I think, or there's Two's a Crowd in twenty...some romantic film, and then there's Samurai Warriors III starting in half an hour as well. I'm good for any of 'em. What would you like to see?"

Jessica's blush started behind her ears and advanced along her jawline. "I really liked Samurai Warriors I and II," she said, "even if that ninja they had for the love interest in the second one kinda fell flat." She fell into step beside Blake as they walked towards the theater, a few inches separating them. On impulse she reached out and gripped his hands with hers. She kept staring straight ahead, giving him an excellent view of her blush creeping up her cheeks."

"True enough, but you don't go to action movies for romance anyhow." When Jessica grabbed his hand, Blake blushed too. "Oh wow. Umm, cool. For sure." was all he could manage. Ohmygod she's holding my hand this is so cool! was the approximation of what was going through his head. As the two walked into the theater hand in hand, Blake paid the ticket salesperson the price of two, and they entered the theater. "I didn't realize how big this theater was. I've only been here a few times, to be honest." He looked towards the concession stand. "And I don't know about you, but I'm starved right now. Want anything?"

Jessica felt her heart beating faster as they walked into the theater and Blake bought the tickets. She was on a date! With a boy! And it wasn't a pity date, he thought she was hot! Or, cute at least. Could someone be hot when they were only seventeen? Was that creepy?

She shook her head to clear it and nodded to her date. "Yeah, I'd like some popcorn and a coke. And maybe some Thin Mints. Mm, do you think their nachos are any good?" As usual, the inventor had skipped a few meals and the availability of food was making her stomach rumble.

"Never had the nachos. We'll give them a shot." He walked her to the concessions booth and bought the two of them a plethora of food items. Blake found a bench to sit on, and sat down with her. He opened one of the hot dogs and started to munch on it. "So tell me." he said between bites. "Ever gone on a date before? This is my first time, actually. I hope I'm doing alright." he said. He felt a little more confident, and was able to talk easier. He smiled at her as he gulped down the hot dog.

Jessica collected a generous measure of melted cheese on her nacho chip and ate the whole thing in one go. "Um. This is my first, too. I'm going to HIT, so most of the guys I meet are at least five years older than me." She took a sip of her drink, feeling the hot cheese beginning to burn on the back of her tongue. "Where do you go to school?"

Blake was surprised. Dang...surprised she doesn't beat the guys away with a stick. "I just started this year at Claremont. It's actually really cool to be around kids my age, especially super-kids. My roommate is Rift. Ever heard of him? He's crazy smart, also pretty badass at guitar." he said while taking a bite of his pretzel. "But it's really nice to get away from the campus every now and then. And take pretty girls on dates." he said, blushing. He put one arm around her waist.

Jessica felt Blake's arm settling around her waist and grew tense for a moment, feeling a shiver of anticipation shoot up her spine. She forced herself to relax though, and didn't pull away from him. "Uh. I, uh, can't imagine ever wanting to, you know, get out of a place like Claremont," she stuttered. "There's a not of folks I get to talk to. Except my grandpa, he's pretty cool." She stopped abruptly and the silence stretched between them. Jessica used the opportunity to scoot a little closer to Blake, until her foot started knocking against his in a way that could almost be accidental. "Um. When did you start going to Claremont?"

Blake grinned. "About half a year ago, maybe. It's been really nice." His heart thumped in his chest. Homina homina homina. "Oh, our movie's going to start pretty soon." Blake said, suddenly standing up. He quickly picked up his garbage and tossed it in the trashcan. He stretched his back, and it popped. "Ow. Ready to go?" he said, stretching his hand out to her.

Jessica took Blake's hand and stood, then turned and bent to pick up her trash. It followed the boy's -- My boyfriend, oh-my-god I've got a boyfriend -- into the trash and she turned back to him, taking his hand and interlacing her fingers with his. "C'mon," she said, turning and walking towards the theater. Once inside the massive room, the pair of them stood to the side and Jessica stood on her tip-toes, craning her neck to find a seat. The movie had only been out for a week, and it looked like there were plenty of people seeing this showing. It was quickly becoming evident that there were only two place left: Up high, near the projector, or all the way in the front, where the pair would practically have to lean back to see the entire screen.

Jessica followed Blake up the stairs, sliding past the people already in their chairs and settling her cup in the arm holder before sitting down herself. She smiled when he asked her how things were going, and leaned close to whisper to him. "Everything's fine so far. Thanks for the food."

He smiled at her. "No problem, Jessica. I'm really happy to be here with you. You're really sweet. It's just...uh..." he said. He hesitated for a moment, and kissed her on the cheek. "Crap. Sorry. If that was too soon, I apoligize, it's just that...well..." stammered Blake, his face as red as a stop sign.

Jessica wasn't expecting the kiss, and she froze for a moment, unable to decide how to respond. Eventually she settled back into her seat, eyes on the screen, but her leg shifted over until it was pressed against Blake's. She slowly raised one hand to her cheek, feeling where his lips had pressed against it, and smiled slightly.

The opening credits started to roll. Blake slipped his arm around Jessica's shoulder, and took a sip of his drink. A loud announcer's voice shouted "Welcome to the third installment of Ninja Warriors! In the previous film..." and it went to a ten minute recap of the last movie. Blake leaned close and whispered to her "So are you in any teams? I was going to try and join the Midnighters, but I heard they weren't taking any new-comers. I might start a team with some new guys I met...ever heard of Nick Cimitiere?"

Jessica shrugged off his arm on her shoulder, but then she grabbed his hand and held it between them. "I'm kinda on my own," she whispered back. "I met another techy kinda gal, goes by Dragonfly. We fought back these vills, and we've met a few times since then. She's really smart, but kinda, I dunno, schizo. You know?"

Someone a couple rows in front of the pair turned and shushed them. Jessica blushed and sank down into her seat a bit, pressing her lips together. But after a moment she glanced over and met Blake's eyes, then stuck her tongue in the general direction of the shusher.

Blake snorted and giggled a little bit. He looked deep into her eyes. "I like you, Jessica. You're a cutie." he said. He gently squeezed her hand. Towards the middle of the theater, a man stood up. "Vhat iz dis mockery of zhe film industry? Why do you subject yourself to zhis kind of torture?"

Blake's sighed and shook his head. "Oh geez...not this clown."

Jessica looked between Blake and the disruptor. "Blake, do you know this clown?" She slid her hand free from his and wiped both her palms on her pants. The pre-battle tension was flooding her system with adrenaline, and making her palms sweat. The suit was all the way back in her car, too far to get to -- but there had to be something she could do. Her brain raced as she tried to come up with an idea.

"Zhis is an outrage!" the man shouted. He began to levitate, and he rose above the theater patrons. People began to scream and ran out of the theater. The man had a pointy mustache and long hair down to his shoulders. He wore a multi-colored mystic's robe, and summoned two spheres of energy, which pulsated with different colors. His eyes glowed red, and changed color at random. "I am zhe Cultist! If you do not put in a good film, one with zhe plot and zhe artistic direction, then I will be forzed to tear it all down!"

"Yeah, unfortunately I got him locked up. Crazy art thief turned magician, apparently If we sneak out now, we might be able to get back to the car-".

The Cultist pointed at Blake. "YOU! You were zhe one! I can sense zhe magic of the Elder Ones! You locked me up for all zhat time! And now you vill pay with your life!"

Jessica leaned close to Blake. "Keep him distracted," she whispered and dropped to the floor, ignoring the sticky patches as best she could and scuttling over to the aisle. Once there, she trusted in the other hero's ability to keep the villain occupied and sprinted towards the door. She burst out into the hallway at the tail end of the panicked civilians, looking both ways for a door marked 'Employee.'

Blake nodded a little bit to her, and addressed The Cultist. "Now how you got out of prison is beyond me. I don't know why they didn't put you in a straitjacket. But I have one thing to say to you, Cultist."

The Cultist glared at Blake, his eyes full of hatred. "And vhat vould zhat be?"

"Joseph called, and he wants his Dreamcoat back!" Blake said. He stood tall, and shouted "Cthulhu f'thagn!" and was transformed once again into the eldritch hero Kid Cthulhu. But the Cultist was ready, his hand already raised. He screamed at Blake "Zhis is vhat you get, Keed Kehthulhu!" he said, horribly pronouncing his name. He waved his hand, and a wash of color raced towards Kid Cthulhu, which he just barely dodged. KC extended his wings and took off, racing towards The Cultist. He fired off a volley of mystic fire, which The Cultist spins around and dodges.

Jessica raced through the theater, hurriedly recalling the layout from her quick meal in the lobby. There was a door, all by itself -- There it is -- that probably wasn't locked -- Thank you, lax security -- and behind it, stairs leading up. She hurried up the stairs, silently thanking her grandfather for the exercise regimen he forced on her. It was a pain at times, but at least she wasn't gasping for breath yet.

Meanwhile, KC was still fighting The Cultist. The villain did something that KC couldn't have expected. He punched KC in the face. The cheap shot hit KC in the mouth, and it started to bleed a little bit. "You ass! What the hell did you do that for?" KC shouted in surprise, and he punched back. He totally whiffs the shot, and the Cultist laughs contemptuously. "Now you will feel a taste of the pain I experienced in prison!" KC shakes his head, and cracks his jaw. "But why...why did you just punch me in the face?"