Total NOOB question, but I've gotta ask it...

Shift X

The basic core mechanics, such as "solve any problem by rolling a single D20, adding a static bonus, trying to hit either a static Difficulty Class or beat someone else's D20+bonus roll," are the same. However, there were more than enough changes that you really do need the 2E core book. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you go ahead and get Ultimate Power and the 2E Freedom City book while you're at it. Everything else is gravy. You can score super-cheap 2E .pdfs in the Green Ronin online store, or at most online RPG retailers.

We've also culled the best parts of 3E for House Rules, which you can find here.

Thanks folks. Guess that explains why I was able to pick up my book so cheaply.

Ah well. It'll be awhile, then, before I can get anything together, I think. Looking at the green ronin store, I'll need to scrape together a spare $50 first for all three PDFs.

But, I'll be back...

:mrgreen:

I'm not sure where you live, Shift, but Green Ronin is currently holding a 10th Anniversary Sale. The only thing you really need to start making a character is the Player's Pocket Guide, a fabulously made reference book with just enough information to make a good character. Owning both the main manual and the pocket guide, I find it an excellent way to save money if you only plan to participate as a player. Right now, it's only $5.

With the main book on sale for $10, shipping is probably going to be the main charge. These books are definitely cheaper than their PDF counterparts, so it might be worth a look.