A Walk In The Park (IC)

Aoiroo

"Yeah, coffee doesn't sit well with everyone," she replied, "Even with some people that know better."

Before responding to the movie information, she simply watched the twins having a field day with the key chain accessories. In many ways they reminded her of Fatima, her baby sister. Although Mona was much younger when Fatima was their age, she still recalled all the joy and drama of having a much younger sibling. Which meant that she both understood Caroline's affection but also her frazzled nerves. Made her really want to meet the parents. A smile crept up her face.

"That's true. So much of it is cliche nowadays. I had a psychology professor that once said, 'Very few original ideas are actually original.' He had a very good point, especially when it came to television. I'll admit though, musicals have a special place in my heart." Glancing to Caroline, she added, "Although I'm a bit jealous. I haven't seen most of those you listed. My schedule has been crazy lately. In fact this is one of quietest weeks in as long as I can remember."

"Oh, the trick to dealing with the drag queens is to muscle into the front row. You'd be surprised how well they sing if someone helps coordinate them. Failing that just add to din." She laughed, having obviously dealt with similar circumstances.

"Well, I don't mind them terribly, they're good company. I spend a couple of times up front with them, but I'm always in the front or in the back. I like the middle best honestly, but there's always someone in front of me blocking my view. I'd imagine you'd have a similar problem since you probably always have to sit in the back so you're sort of not. Unless you're at a drive in, I miss drive in movies, I haven't been in forever. Given, that's probably because I don't have a car, and the owners wouldn't let me set up my lawn chair and portable radio because it was a safety hazard."

Looking down at the two Ems she let out a sigh,

"I'd probably take these two to a movie to kill time, but there's nothing showing that's appropriate for them, but not so mindnumbingly so that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. But yeah, nothing's original nowadays. It's just several clever adaptions of plots and characters that have been retooled. At least they stopped the line of superhero movies, some were good, a couple were so terrible it was insulting, like that whole Centurion Returns thing, god just the actors alone bugged the heck out of me. Though Shadows Wrath was okay, even though Strike of Midnight didn't do well, the continuing continuity was okay, especially since this is like the forth attempt at reconning the characters."

Mona cringed at the mention of Centurion Returns. Cringed a lot. She nodded and replied, "I can't really get into superhero movies, probably for the obvious reasons, many of which you already listed. Don't even get me started on the Centurion movie. That atrocity even made me want to punch the producers in the head."

Ouch. Too late. Grumbling, she added, "My biggest problem with the movie wasn't the actors first, it was the details. I'm not a superhero historian, but for goodness sakes, do a little research! They screwed up his costume, the Sanctum, even his accent. The man didn't have a New York accent. I know, I met him. The very least they could do was hire the Super Museum Centurion Collection staff as consultants. That movie had, what, a $70 million budget? What did they do? Eat filet mignon and expensive wine every night?"

"Yes, the actors were horrible, but I can't really blame them. Nolan Christopher is a great up-and-coming actor, but when you get handed a terrible script, no amount of talent is going to redeem that sort of mess. He faked his death so he go live in peace on Mars? Seriously? That isn't the Centurion I knew or even thought I knew. I remember an interview he did for Space magazine back in '91 where he said plainly that he'd love to take a long vacation, but until he felt he wasn't needed, he would be there 24/7. That wasn't ego on his part. He'd be there until the end. Which is what exactly happened."

She looked back up at the statue, her jaw clinched.

"Movies, they always try to rework the continuety to try and make sense of things like extended absenses. If he was coming back, he would of by now especially with everything going on, anyway, more importantly, YOU MET HIM. That is AWESOME! I always wanted to meet him when I was a little girl, I would always look through news reports when my father flicked on the weekly news to try and find any footage of his heroics. I so wanted to go to Freedom City when I was a little girl so I could go and meet him, but the invasion happened."

She looked down and cletched her fist,

"It's stupid, but I sort of want to go there, even if it's dangerous just so I can punch that smug bastard in the nuts for what he did. Even when I did get to visit like two years later, the whole city seemed so empty like the spirit had just gone up and left it all behind when he did. Given, it was probably just me, because I was sick the whole time we were their it was awful."

She really hated that last bit, especially since she couldn't attend the muesums and had to sleep for like two days straight just to get the strengh back to properly attend her grandparents vow renewal since that's the reason they technically came.

"You'll get your chance one of these days," replied Fulcrum more neutrally, "He never stops trying to destroy this universe. I think we ticked him off royally by winning that one round. But unless you're crazy prepared or have some hidden superpowers, best to keep him at a distance. I...definitely understand the sentiment though."

She balled her fist and hook punched the air. "I'd do the same thing if the punk popped up."

Chuckling, she rubbed the back of her neck and moved to lighter subjects, "Yeah, I met Centurion. Really cool guy. Remember how some adults, authority figures, would just patronize or tolerate you until they could leave? Centurion really seemed to enjoy our meeting. He visited me in the hospital when I was twelve. That was the same day at the Invasion. I'll never forget that day, for good reasons." She smiled.

"I only hope that when Omega returns, I'll be strong enough to defeat him. Either way I'll fight him. I couldn't do anything less."

"Yeah, you and every other hero in the city. Heck, if he tried that robot thing again I bet that German scientist guy, umm, ohh Doktor Archeville could probably build his own robot army to match. Actually, I wouldn't be surprise if he already have one just gathering dust."

She started to stretch her arms out, less to loosen up, and more to hide the look on her face as she let out a dry heave. Though there was nothing but digestive fluids in her stomach, it felt like those were threatening to make a hasty exit. Relaxing her face as the arms came down she reached into her purse and procurred a water bottle and her ginger pills. Downing two of the capsules she took a sip of water before saying,

"Sorry, antibiotics, I'm just coming off the three day grace period for a bad cold I had last week."

"Oh, that's too bad," answered a concerned Mona, "If you need anything, just say so. I know where to get most anything in this part of the city."

Looking around the park, she continued, "Those summer colds are the worst. Seem to linger on for ages. Good to see you are feeling better, somewhat, at least."

"Tell you what, why don't I let you deal with the twins," she said, motioning to a fight in the making, "And meet you for dinner tonight. What time is good? Eight maybe? That should give the marathon time to run out and you some time to rest up."

"Unless of course you'd rather chat a while more. Either way works for me."

"Eight would be great, give's me ample time to wear these too out and get a nap in myself. Plus, it means I get back to my place and snag some fabric samples so we can disguss materials. I've just got a ton of leftover stuff from various plays hanging around my place, and sitting by my sewing machine, some of it's pretty darn nice and they just let me take it home once all the costumes are made since they don't know what else to do with it."

In her mind she pictured the little overflowing box of fabrics, though she might have to buy some stuff like zippers and buttons, but other then that she could make a few good outfits without spending a dime.

Glancing over at the munchkins who started to try and see if they could use the tape as a jump rope she went over and said,

"So, would you guys like to go to the park now?"

Instantly, they're eyes lit up again at the forgotten activity, and they went to each of her sides to tug her away from the statue, she stopped of course, and glanced over her shoulder,

"So, Riverside Cafe, eight o'clock?"