A Father's Wishes

Heridfel

When the Emissary returns to his room after his latest patrol of the city, he finds that his father has left a message for him to contact him when he receives the message, no matter what time it is. This level of urgency is not common for Sarlyn, but the fact that it was not relayed to him any sooner suggests that it is not life-threatening.

When the Emissary returns to his room after his latest patrol of the city, he finds that his father has left a message for him to contact him when he receives the message, no matter what time it is. This level of urgency is not common for Sarlyn, but the fact that it was not relayed to him any sooner suggests that it is not life-threatening.

He walks through to the office set up within the embassy, which seems all due and properly dignified, the shelves lined with books. It is simply that if one looks closely, those books tend to be things like Peter Pan, and the collected Oz works by L Frank Baum.

He floats before the desk in a sort of za zen position (chairs that matched the office just kept breaking), pressing a simple panel on his desk that signalled to his people, and his father particularly, when he was present to so contact him.

He walks through to the office set up within the embassy, which seems all due and properly dignified, the shelves lined with books. It is simply that if one looks closely, those books tend to be things like Peter Pan, and the collected Oz works by L Frank Baum.

He floats before the desk in a sort of za zen position (chairs that matched the office just kept breaking), pressing a simple panel on his desk that signalled to his people, and his father particularly, when he was present to so contact him.

A couple of seconds later, Sarlyn appears on the viewscreen. He looks tired, like he's been up for a long time waiting on Emissary's call. Once he realizes that he's on, he opens his eyes to clear them, then looks to Emissary. Only those close to him could recognize his fatigue now, as he looks upon his son.

"Good evening, my son. I did not want to interrupt your evening, but there is some news that bodes us ill. Tell me, what do you know of Grant Conglomerates, both its history and recent events?"

A couple of seconds later, Sarlyn appears on the viewscreen. He looks tired, like he's been up for a long time waiting on Emissary's call. Once he realizes that he's on, he opens his eyes to clear them, then looks to Emissary. Only those close to him could recognize his fatigue now, as he looks upon his son.

"Good evening, my son. I did not want to interrupt your evening, but there is some news that bodes us ill. Tell me, what do you know of Grant Conglomerates, both its history and recent events?"

He frowns.

"You are fatigued. Are you alright? Are you getting enough rest? There are others on the Utopian council you know, if you have taken up some unfortunate habit of doing more work than you have to."

"As for Grant.. ahm.. not much. It is an economic holding in existance across many nations that focuses upon science?"

He frowns.

"You are fatigued. Are you alright? Are you getting enough rest? There are others on the Utopian council you know, if you have taken up some unfortunate habit of doing more work than you have to."

"As for Grant.. ahm.. not much. It is an economic holding in existance across many nations that focuses upon science?"

He frowns.

"It is held primarily in Freedom City, and is one of their largest employers - especially when its hidden shells are included. However, I am not as concerned with its economic power as I am with the possibility that one of our people is supplying them with Utopian technology," he says grimly. "Based on some of the materials which have been stolen from scientific supply groups over the last couple months, we've come to the conclusion that they are seeking to build some of the same sort of technology that was used to synthesize you."

"I need not say that this is a grave concern, both as a politician and as a father. They may be seeking to adapt it to control you, or worse. We need to figure out the truth of this, and the best way that I can think of is to send you into the lion's den. They have lost one of their chief scientists, and the murderer is still at large. I want you to volunteer your services to them to try to find the guilty party. If you can find him or her, so much the better, but your chief goal is to see if one of our own is a traitor, and to make sure that you remain your own man."

The reason for Sarlyn's secrecy - and the reason why he didn't use a priority channel - becomes clear. If there is a traitor, he could be monitoring the communications. It's easier to hide a late night communicator call than a priority distress alert. Likewise, his worry for his son explains his fatigue.

"It is held primarily in Freedom City, and is one of their largest employers - especially when its hidden shells are included. However, I am not as concerned with its economic power as I am with the possibility that one of our people is supplying them with Utopian technology," he says grimly. "Based on some of the materials which have been stolen from scientific supply groups over the last couple months, we've come to the conclusion that they are seeking to build some of the same sort of technology that was used to synthesize you."

"I need not say that this is a grave concern, both as a politician and as a father. They may be seeking to adapt it to control you, or worse. We need to figure out the truth of this, and the best way that I can think of is to send you into the lion's den. They have lost one of their chief scientists, and the murderer is still at large. I want you to volunteer your services to them to try to find the guilty party. If you can find him or her, so much the better, but your chief goal is to see if one of our own is a traitor, and to make sure that you remain your own man."

The reason for Sarlyn's secrecy - and the reason why he didn't use a priority channel - becomes clear. If there is a traitor, he could be monitoring the communications. It's easier to hide a late night communicator call than a priority distress alert. Likewise, his worry for his son explains his fatigue.

He starts at his father's words and just seems in shock for a moment.

He looks as though he is going to speak, then stops.

Then tries again. Then stops.

Then, finally..

"It seems.. a near impossiblity. We have spent tens of thousands of years evolving past such concepts as treachery. I... I, yes, of course, I will go forward and do as you ask. I will keep in contact besides."

Then, finally..

"It seems.. a near impossiblity. We have spent tens of thousands of years evolving past such concepts as treachery. I... I, yes, of course, I will go forward and do as you ask. I will keep in contact besides."

Then, finally..

Sarlyn smiles wearily. "Even in Utopia, there are those who fall prey to their darker natures. We took care to choose the best of our people to participate in your creation, but do not be certain that you do not have one yourself. I spent many a night after battle during the World War, trying to figure out if what I did was just. A wise Englishman once said, 'Great men are almost always bad men'. Without false modesty, you and I are both great men. We must take care not to become bad ones," he says. He half-yawns, half-sighs.

"I will take your advice and retire for the evening. Take care to be circumspect. This conversation will appear to be me asking you for advice on what to get my sister for her birthday. When you need to call me in return, do your best to do so when it will not draw attention. I will be able to cover your trail if you do. Good night, my son."

Sarlyn smiles wearily. "Even in Utopia, there are those who fall prey to their darker natures. We took care to choose the best of our people to participate in your creation, but do not be certain that you do not have one yourself. I spent many a night after battle during the World War, trying to figure out if what I did was just. A wise Englishman once said, 'Great men are almost always bad men'. Without false modesty, you and I are both great men. We must take care not to become bad ones," he says. He half-yawns, half-sighs.

"I will take your advice and retire for the evening. Take care to be circumspect. This conversation will appear to be me asking you for advice on what to get my sister for her birthday. When you need to call me in return, do your best to do so when it will not draw attention. I will be able to cover your trail if you do. Good night, my son."