How much mass with Morph?

Heritage

Got a question re: Grim's Morph ability. Can she replicate any size and/or weight that's within the realm of Medium, or is she limited to her true mass? Her powers are magic-based, if that makes any difference.

For 2 PPs/rank you can assume any humanoid form, but your traits remain unchanged. So if you wanted to turn from a beggar girl in a dress into a tall man in a top hat . . . yes. But I'm pretty sure her mass would stay the same. The changes are "merely cosmetic."

Perhaps if you gave us an example of what you were thinking

Got a question re: Grim's Morph ability. Can she replicate any size and/or weight that's within the realm of Medium, or is she limited to her true mass? Her powers are magic-based, if that makes any difference.

For 2 PPs/rank you can assume any humanoid form, but your traits remain unchanged. So if you wanted to turn from a beggar girl in a dress into a tall man in a top hat . . . yes. But I'm pretty sure her mass would stay the same. The changes are "merely cosmetic."

Rereading Growth and Shrink sort of answers my question, but also kinda raises others; since it take 4 ranks of either to change your size class up or down, what is the benefit of having 1, 2 or 3 ranks in it? Does it get you anything, or are they basically just bought in blocks of four? The problem is, it seems that you have to get a whole other power (in ranks of 4, I'm thinking) to change your mass even within the limits of your own size class.

Rereading Growth and Shrink sort of answers my question, but also kinda raises others; since it take 4 ranks of either to change your size class up or down, what is the benefit of having 1, 2 or 3 ranks in it? Does it get you anything, or are they basically just bought in blocks of four? The problem is, it seems that you have to get a whole other power (in ranks of 4, I'm thinking) to change your mass even within the limits of your own size class.

Per UP, Morph says "You can alter your appearance to [other creatures or objects] of the same mass," so it's clear there.

I'd personally allow Density (Limited: Mass only, -3 flaw) to increase your effective weight more easily. That's an example of a -3 limitation if I've ever seen one. There's no easy way to decrease mass except to say that reducing size through Shrinking reduces weight somehow (and Insubstantial to lose all weight).

Per UP, Morph says "You can alter your appearance to [other creatures or objects] of the same mass," so it's clear there.

I'd personally allow Density (Limited: Mass only, -3 flaw) to increase your effective weight more easily. That's an example of a -3 limitation if I've ever seen one. There's no easy way to decrease mass except to say that reducing size through Shrinking reduces weight somehow (and Insubstantial to lose all weight).

Well, shucks, me am defeated; this is what I get for not going with Shapeshift, even though I really didn't want to, so I can't actually have any regrets. I will probably starting investing in Growth once I start earning some pp, since she's already pretty tiny, and doesn't need to get too much smaller :D

It's all cool, and thanks for the suggestions and clarifications, guys.

Well, shucks, me am defeated; this is what I get for not going with Shapeshift, even though I really didn't want to, so I can't actually have any regrets. I will probably starting investing in Growth once I start earning some pp, since she's already pretty tiny, and doesn't need to get too much smaller :D

Just wanted to add one last little thing, nothing to do with Morph but on the subject of Growth and mass; under the power, before it even mentions the increase to size ranks, it says, "The additional Strength does not improve you Climb or Swim skills (since your mass also increases)." This does suggest being able to take on slighter larger forms with as little as one rank of Growth, if used in conjunction with Morph, even though the primary benefit would of course be the boost to Str and Con. Just putting that out there :D

Just wanted to add one last little thing, nothing to do with Morph but on the subject of Growth and mass; under the power, before it even mentions the increase to size ranks, it says, "The additional Strength does not improve you Climb or Swim skills (since your mass also increases)." This does suggest being able to take on slighter larger forms with as little as one rank of Growth, if used in conjunction with Morph, even though the primary benefit would of course be the boost to Str and Con. Just putting that out there :D

Just wanted to add one last little thing, nothing to do with Morph but on the subject of Growth and mass; under the power, before it even mentions the increase to size ranks, it says, "The additional Strength does not improve you Climb or Swim skills (since your mass also increases)." This does suggest being able to take on slighter larger forms with as little as one rank of Growth, if used in conjunction with Morph, even though the primary benefit would of course be the boost to Str and Con. Just putting that out there.

I must have misunderstood your original question. How is gaining a little mass a benefit? When you said "slightly larger forms," I thought you meant "make me look taller" so you could disguise yourself as someone taller. Morph would do that for you, I think. Is someone trying to weigh you to determine your identity?

Just wanted to add one last little thing, nothing to do with Morph but on the subject of Growth and mass; under the power, before it even mentions the increase to size ranks, it says, "The additional Strength does not improve you Climb or Swim skills (since your mass also increases)." This does suggest being able to take on slighter larger forms with as little as one rank of Growth, if used in conjunction with Morph, even though the primary benefit would of course be the boost to Str and Con. Just putting that out there.

I must have misunderstood your original question. How is gaining a little mass a benefit? When you said "slightly larger forms," I thought you meant "make me look taller" so you could disguise yourself as someone taller. Morph would do that for you, I think. Is someone trying to weigh you to determine your identity?

I know it may sound silly, and I may indeed be splitting hairs here, but if lil' Grim tried to make herself look like a taller person, say a 6 foot tall guy, someone who knew him might be able to tell he weighed significantly less if the interacted with 'him' physically, like slapping on the back, helping up a ladder, etc.

This is not that big of a deal, since I may well invest in Growth just for the Str and Con benefit, with the eventual gain of a whole size class over time, even though I'm sure there are cheaper ways to achieve the same effect. If I didn't make her so darn little, it wouldn't be much of an issue; I essentially limited myself to women and men of smaller stature, but I like her tiny, so it's hardly a major sacrifice.