Gabriel

Time for the (Revised) HellQ! This is for Gabriel.

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I'm just an Irish boy trying to do his best to make the world a little better place.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Well, when I'm off righting wrongs, I go by Gabriel. Beyond that, not that I know of. If other people have nicknames for me, they haven't told me yet.

What is your full birth name?

Carson Finbar Keefe.

Where do you live?

Freedom City. Specifically, one of the not-quite-as-poor areas, just off the Freedom College campus. Close enough to walk, even.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I'm a ripe old age of 26, born in 1984. I already find myself referring to teenagers as "kids", and thinking things like "back in my day". It's kinda scary.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male. Unless my parents, doctors, mirror, voice, sense of touch, and a half-dozen other things have been lying all these years...

How would you describe your heritage?

Irish. Irish. And more Irish.

How tall are you?

I top off at a nice, even 6 feet.

What is your body type?

Um...generally fit? I'm no Terminator, but I'm still fit as a fiddle. Just don't have all kinds of fancy muscle lines, I suppose.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Not really.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I'd like to think I'm fairly graceful. You can't be clumsy and work on the stage. I suppose I could sneak about, but I've never really learned or tried. And of course I walk with confidence!

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Pale skin, like anyone else from the Blessed Isle. My eyes are a fetching shade of blue, if I do say so myself, and my hair's a nice shade of red. And no, I don't bloody well have freckles, thanks for asking.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Uh...short and not too messy? I keep clean shaven. Really, working in the stage means you can't do much in the way of fancy hair; it'd get messed up or re-colored half the time anyways.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I'd say I'm a decent looking bloke. The ladies I talk to certainly haven't expressed displeasure at my appearance.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Birthmarks, no. Scars, a few little ones from a rough and rowdy childhood. Nothing noticeable, though.

As for tattoos or piercings? No way on Earth. I don't much like needles; bad enough getting shots and tests. No way am I letting a bloody needle full of ink near my body, thank you much!

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Sadly, no. I'm sure it would be a great conversation starter.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Rigt.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Comfortable. The Freedom College Theater Department is pretty casual, so I get away with jeans an a polo shirt. When I'm not at work, I usually switch to a plain t-shirt.

Well, there's my "work clothes", of course, but that's something else, really.

Do you wear makeup?

Only when I'm in a performance, and thus have to.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Well, normally I have a fairly noticeable Irish accent. My vocal range tends to be low tenor to mid baritone. When I'm "working", I've figured out how to hide my accent, though I don't drop 3 octaves or anything. Just enough change to make "Gabriel" another person.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Well, when I get frustrated or flustered, my accent deepens. I've had to keep a tight hold on it in costume, and it's still almost slipped a few times.

My raising left me with a touch of "old-style charm", though it's certainly not as pronounced as a few people I've heard about. Mostly I'm just polite, especially to women. My Ma would box my ears otherwise.

History

Where do you come from?

The nice little city of Limerick, Ireland. Great place.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Well, about a year and a half ago, I moved from Limerick, Ireland to Freedom City, USA.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Oh, I love Ireland, for sure. But the USA isn't too bad, either. They keep insisting on calling football "soccer", and have that weird variant of rugby be called "football", but it's actually pretty nice here. I'm working on gaining dual citizenship right now; I have a feeling I'll be in Freedom City for a while.

I'm...mildly patriotic, I suppose. I don't shove my home country in people's faces, but I still support them, generally. Obviously no government is perfect, be it Irish or American, so there are always things I end up disagreeing with. Nonetheless, I count myself utterly blessed to have lived in either country. Things could always be worse.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

It's a great place! Have I mentioned that I do love Ireland?

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Oh, Limerick's on a river in the southern half of Ireland. Great city. Has pretty much anything you could want or need, be it shopping, housing, entertainment, or employment. Not a paradise, I suppose, but a good city.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I was just another Irish boy, really.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Always had a flair for the Dramatic! You like that? I've been practicing.

Really, it's shaped my life a lot. It's what I majored in, what I do for a living.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Well, that one girl Susie did try to give me cooties in 3rd grade...Heh, no, not really. I've been blessed with a fairly peaceful life.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

My third class with Miss O'Brian. My old drama teacher. She told me I had a real talent, that it was a blessing from the Lord, and that I ought not to waste it.

I'd like to think I lived up to that advice.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Heh, my Ma won't see this, will she?

...Nah, nothing bad, really. Did get pretty blasted at a party once. Few too many Guinness. And I suppose I let my pride crash a few relationships with the ladies. I'd like to think I'm smarter.

Beyond that, just the occasional roughhousing and shenanigans that teenage boys get up to. I can neither confirm nor deny rumors about TP-ed houses, tipped cows, or soap-painted car windows. No sir.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Local public school through high school. For my Bachelor's and Masters, I went to Trinity College Dublin.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Oh, a few pictures and such in my apartment. I'm sure my mother has a half-ton of baby booties, first this and that, and the like.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Hm. Probably right when the Archangel Gavriel appeared to me on my evening walk, and gave me my powers and costume. And, you know, told me I was destined to be a hero. Who am I to argue with that guy?

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

No. I don't generally give a lot of detail on it though. I tend to leave it at "called by a Higher Power, gifted with my powers, here I am."

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Hm. Can't think of any.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Only when in costume. Mostly to protect my family and students, and a bit to keep people out of my hair when I'm not "working".

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Well, I fear the people I care about getting hurt if my identity is let loose. I wouldn't change my morals to protect those secrets, though.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Nope. I was a good boy. My Ma and Da would have boxed my ears, tanned my hide, and grounded me for life if I'd ever gotten in that sort of trouble.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

My Da's Angus, and my Ma's Bevin. Wonderful people, salt of the Earth and all that.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Raised by them.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Well, Da runs The Falcon and Cent Pub with his Da. Everybody likes the pub owners, you know? And Ma's just the sweetest woman on the planet, I wager. She somehow finds time to take care of all of us kids, Da, and still be a part of our church's local outreach. Cooking for shutins and the like, you know. They're both real popular in our little slice of Limerick, I suppose.

Where are your parents now?

Still back home. Probably watching the news for any signs of "their boy", and waiting for my calls and letters that I send. Well, eletronic letters. Have you seen how expensive physical letters from the US to Ireland are?

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Been in Limerick since before my grandparents were born. We're well-planted in that town.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

Oh, we get along fine. They were always there to help me, or straighten me out, whichever I needed. They're really the only ones who know my identity, though I bet my baby sister suspects something.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

They go on and on about how proud of me they are, what with bein' a teacher to the poorer kids, and bein' a hero to boot.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Oh yeah. Two brothers, Brody and Doyle, and my baby sister Riona. We all get along fine, pretty typical brothers and sister. Riona gets mad when we play 20 questions with any new boyfriend of hers.

What was your birth order in the family?

I was 2nd of the 3 boys, and 2nd overall, what with Riona comin' last and all. That's why she's the "baby sister".

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Brody's living and working in Limerick, working with Grandpa Colin. I think Grandpa Colin's looking to hand the reigns of things over to Brody pretty soon. Doyle's still living at home for a bit until he finishes college; he's gonna be a computer engineer. Riona's a senior in high school. She can't decide yet on what she's gonna be.

Brody's got himself a pretty serious ladyfriend. Doyle's a bit shyer, but Ma says he's been dating a nice gal for a bit. Riona's trying to keep a boyfriend, but she says Da, Brody, and Doyle keep scarin' 'em off. I dunno what she means by that, no sir.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Much as I can. E-mail's a wonderful thing.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Um...I suppose I got a soft spot in my heart for Riona. We get along a touch better than her and the other two boys. She doesn't complain as much when I make sure she's datin' a good fella.

Da was actually quicker to accept my bein' a theater teacher than Ma. She was worried about earnin' money and such, but Da pointed out that teachers are often in short supply, so bein' a teacher would be good.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Well. Like I said, Riona's my baby sister. And I think she maybe almost knows something is going on.

But Ma and Da are the ones I actually talk to about the hero-stuff. But now that I'm in the US, I have to use code words and such.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Not really.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Not that I know of.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Ladies of the world rejoice, for Carson Finbar Keefe is still single for the moment.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Oh, yes, I'd definitely like to settle down. Pretty firm, but I suppose something drastic happening that endangered people close to me might shift my view.

That, or the Almighty sending me an Angel telling me to stay single. I really hope He doesn't, though.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Hm. She'd need a good sense of humor, as well as being able to stand my humor. At least some shared interests, so we don't always bore each other. Has to get along with my family at least somewhat (not a hard prospect, especially with Ma, but still). And has to, eventually, accept my dual identity.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

None really close at the moment. My school friends and I have drifted apart a bit.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Not...not really. Perhaps I'll make a few, eventually.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My family. Some of my students and coworkers.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Oh, well, had a couple girlfriends. Was a bloody stupid git, lost them. Nothing more than that.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Well, I suppose in one sense, there's the Lord of Darkness and his ilk. But that's on general principle. Don't have any personal enemies like that, no.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

If and when I make any, they'll probably try all the standard tricks.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

One of my ex-girlfriends kicked me in the block and tackle. With steel-toed boots. I nearly went to the emergency room.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Hm. God. Family. Friends. Ireland. America. Freedom City. Freedom College.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

God, and my parents. The first is pretty obvious, and my parents for all the reasons I described above; they support and love me, and always try their best to help me.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Generally, people who take advantage of kids. Especially drug dealers. They're ruining lives that have such potential, for a few extra dollars. Sometimes robbing kids of their choices. It's a bloody horrible crime, I tell you.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Kindness. Willingness to help others. Willingness to learn. Willingness to express yourself. I'd like to think I possess all of these in decent quantity.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Ruthlessness. Heartless pragmatism. Greed. Willingness to exploit others. Not caring at all for your fellow man. And I hope and pray I never let such things take true root in my life, even as I acknowledge my flaw, human nature.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes. Only my parents, God, and the Archangel Gavriel know Carson Finbar Keefe is Gabriel. I hide it from others to protect them. Both from being used as leverage, and from getting caught up in my fight.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I suppose I work well enough in a group. Haven't really had a chance yet, outside of the school. I tend to switch between leader and follower, depending on who else is trying to lead.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Not yet.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Well, I'm a good Irish Catholic. Beyond that, I'm not really a member of any clubs or some such.

I attend weekly services, and do a bit of volunteer work through the Church. They've set up a couple of my mentorships over the years.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Peter O'Toole. Liam Neeson. J.R.R. Tolkien. Saint Patrick.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not really, no.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I do, actually. Probably most rewarding when I manage to avoid any use of force, and convince the person performing the crime to stand down. Even better if I can talk them into seriously evaluating their life.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I'd never "switch sides". I might give this up if it came to a choice between my family and the work. I'd like to think the Almighty would understand. And I suppose one day I'll be old enough I can't really do this anymore, anyways.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I'd like to start turning some of the local neighborhoods around a bit, see the crime start to drop off a bit. Perhaps I'll look into joining, or even helping form, some team of like-minded individuals or another.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Pretty much a larger scale of the same. I'd also like to have helped start others on the path to teaching and mentorships. Perhaps have some kids, working on grandkids.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Failing, or just not making a difference. I typically go off by myself, pray, and wrestle with the fear. That's helped me keep a handle on it so far.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

To save a life. To protect the world. Those sorts of things.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Money's handy to have and use. It's ultimately temporary, though. I try to be frugal with what I have, while still being able and open to share some of it. The Lord blesses those who are effective stewards, after all.

How do you generally treat others?

As I would like to be treated. In other words, as fellow human beings, who deserve love (brotherly love, agape love; not romantic love you dorks), kindness, and compassion.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Generally. I don't fling my trust about willy-nilly, so it's never been really abused. But I try to look for the best in people nonetheless.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Extroverted, and self-confident. Don't listen to the people who say I have too much of either! :D

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Polite. Well-mannered. Interested. Interesting. One might even say "like a gentleman".

What are your most annoying habits?

I tend to slip into a deeper accent sometimes. I also have trouble staying really still, so I'll tap my foot, tap a tabletop, desktop, or leg. Shift around in my seat. Some people can ignore it, but it can annoy some.

Doesn't help that I tend to sing under my breath when I'm distracted, or even slip into quoting movies and books.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Those who exploit children.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

I try enjoy most all food. I like quite a few types, but my favorite is probably a home-cooked plate of steak, potatoes, bread, and a fresh salad.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Water, and an occasional (good) Guinness .

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Chocolate. I'm a bit of a chocoholic.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Certain types of seafood. I don't do well with really spicy things, either.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Hm. If I had to pick one I like, it'd be a nice, earthy green. I'm not a big fan of some shades of yellow. I'm sure you know the ones.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Classical. Contemporary Celtic. This Country-Western stuff isn't too bad. That Trans-Siberian Orchestra is great.

Not a fan of death metal, or any of the really heavily antisocial rocks and the like. Never acquired a taste for Rap, either. Nothing wrong with people liking them, but it's not my pint o' beer, you know?

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Home on a spring day.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Wolves.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Photo of myself and Liam Neeson, signed by the man himself. I got it framed and hung in my apartment.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

"Roughing it" means living in a dorm with a communal bathroom, thank you kindly.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Anything to do with gambling, brothels, or adult "entertainment", and anything with garbage, sewage, or the like.

The first three are moral objections. The others are for my poor delicate sense of smell.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I'd like to think so. They shape my worldview; my faith is the basis of that worldview, in fact. So my beliefs are very important to me.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Putting aside angelic visits, I'd say my Father and Grandfathers. They all showed me how to live your faith while still doing things outside the church. Gave me a sense of balance, if you will.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I try to attend all the normal scheduled services. There's a little Catholic church not too far from the College that I go to.

Any disagreements are so minor they're not worth talking about.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Could I? Maybe. I'd rather hope I could avoid it.

Have I? No.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

Just part of how I was raised. Now that I can knock people out without killing them, it kind of helps the stance.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

If there's truly no other choice to protect an innocent, or multiple innocents, be it in the moment, or the near future.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I'd probably feel really upset, no matter what. I'd hope any friend of mine would only use killing as an absolute last resort. If they did, I'm mostly be sad it had to happen like that.

If it were an enemy, I'd probably get bloody mad, and try to stop them from doing it again.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I'd get mad, then call the police. Then maybe do some poking around of my own.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Um...Be embarrassed?

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Thank the Lord, it hasn't happened. Accidentally, I'd be sad, a little mad, and probably itching to make sure the conditions for the accident can't be met again. Purposefully...I'd have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to use lethal force to stop someone.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Child slavery, of any sort. Not only does it subject them to the worst sort of brutalities, it robs them of their choices and chances for the future. It forces them to exist only in the context of their slavery, without knowing there's more out there.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

1.)Call my parents and tell them I love them, and am grateful for everything.

2.)Call Doyle and give him some last-minute advice, and tell him I love him.

3.)Call Brody and wish him and his lady luck. Pass on my love.

4.)Call Riona and give her as much advice as possible. Get her to promise to avoid the "bad boys", and only go out with respectable gentlemen. Pass on my love.

5.)Find a nice, willing lady and give her a good, long kiss. Now now, nothing more, mind you.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Not really.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Some of it was instinctual with my powers. The rest is self-taught.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I'm remarkable good at things like card tricks and the like. If I wanted, I might be decent at taking things from people's pockets and such. It's a combination of some stage training (a few plays required fairly fine manual dexterity), and personal practice.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

Teacher at Freedom College for the Theater Department. Plus some mentorship programs. I'll probably stick with that for a good, long time.

What is your preferred combat style?

Try to talk the opponent down. If that doesn't work, I'll hit them with all sorts of trick to confuse them and such, and then knock them out with a good whack of semi-solid sound waves.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Nope.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Probably ought to work on getting even better with my sound. And maybe on how to defend myself.

One of these days, I need to learn how to dance.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Try to figure out how to learn from them.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Get up, clean up, eat, go to work, teach kids, mentor kids, come home, quick supper, go stop some crime. Then sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Hobbies? I do like puzzles. Picked it up from Grandma Moreen.

Oh, and I somehow ended up liking model-building like Grandpa Brogan.

What do you do for fun?

Books of all sorts, movies, games with friends, and professional theater performers.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I do. Loose white pants, rugged gray leather boots, a gray cloth belt, and a baggy white shirt form the base of my outfit. On top of that, I wears a white hooded vest, with the hood resting so that it leaves only my eyebrows on down exposed. Over everything but my mouth and lower nose, I sports a white mask, which tends to blur into the hood's lines at a glance, further muffling my appearance. White fingerless gloves help protect my hands. Finally, a predominately white leather duster sits on top of everything else. The trim is actually black, with intricate gold patterns (primarily Celtic knots and crosses).

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

As casual and comfortable as I can.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

T-shirt and shorts.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

The same rosary I had on when Gavriel gave me my powers. Generally looks like a normal wooden rosary. The cross will glow every once in a great while, typically right as I'm getting a sense of something important.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I Have a lockbox.

...Heh. Lockbox...

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Walking, then the bus. Flying if I can get away with it in the city. Airplane for long distance, unless it's hero work. Then I fly myself.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

Not yet. Maybe I ought to.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Uh...maybe? I dunno what the investigators use for that sort of thing.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Helping a bunch of kids make their lives better.

Lord willing, I'd also like to be remembered as a loving father and husband.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Not at all! I'm out there trying to make the world a better place, with as little force as possible.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My ability to talk to people.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Perhaps being too willing to talk to people, when maybe I'll need to jump into the thick of it one day.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

"Don't let slow results get you down. Give things a few years, and you'll be shocked at the impact you're making. Some of those kids you're teaching are going to end up being influential in so many ways. And some of those kids you helped convince to stop a life of crime? They'll go on to help even more people in the same way. It really is a trickle-down effect, my friend."

• 3 weeks later...

Twenty Question with Gabriel

Gabriel leaned back against the wall of the bank, well away from the crowds around the police and other emergency workers. He stood there, back against the brick, head resting back against the wall, eyes closed, half-full water bottle in one hand. White costume or no, he seemed to have escaped notice.

Fine by him. He'd been in the bank for over and hour and a half. Negotiating first with a working-class man on the end of his rope, then the police, then the insurance company who had initially refused treatment for the man's wife and son.

Finally, the company had caved, with both the bank employees and police confirming the necessary transactions, and poor Jerry had surrendered. The 40-something had ended up weeping in Gabriel's arms as the police came for him, Gabriel standing there somewhat awkwardly, but still concerned for the man.

He intended to testify such that he received the lowest sentence possible.

With a sigh, he heaved himself to his feet, draining the bottle and looking around for a handy wastebasket.

"Hello, Gabriel, was it?" Turning around, Gabriel was confronted by a smiling woman in a long, poofy black dress, looking oddly out of place in the confines of the alley. She was tall, meeting his eyes easily, and had a confident demeanor. "I'm Joan Collier, I'm with the Freedom Ledger," she said, hefting the pen and paper she had in one hand while shaking his hand with the other. "I was wondering if you'd mind answering some questions about yourself for our profile of you? That was quite a thing you accomplished today in the bank."

Gabriel turned at the voice, taking a moment to register what was occurring.

"The bank? Oh. I'm just glad I managed to keep people from getting hurt today."

His eyes fell on a handy garbage bin nearby, where he quickly tossed the bottle, which just barely made it into the bin.

"Interview? I guess that's fine. Do you want to do it here, or move somewhere less..."

He gestures at the crowd, and the alley she'd placed herself in.

"Yeah. Please, forgive me. I'm usually a bit sharper on me feet, but I was negotiating for nearly the whole time in there."

"Wherever you'd like to talk is fine," said Joan, following Gabriel out of the alley. She walked slowly and carefully, enough that Gabriel couldn't really make out her lower body at all underneath the heavy dress.

1. "I couldn't help notice your accent. Are you a recent immigrant to the United States, or have you lived here for a while?"

"What about this place over here?"

There's a small, conveniently placed outdoor diner nearby. In Freedom City, a superhero sitting down with a journalist is nothing new. Thus, the request for as private of a table as possible was easily granted.

Gabriel settled down after ordering a water and a light sandwich.

1.)He had the grace to look a bit surprised as he realized his accent had slipped. When he spoke next, it was more neutral.

"I was not born in the territory of the United States. I'm not a fresh immigrant, though. I've been in the country long enough to be established in all respects."

2. I understand, and if you don't want to talk about your life elsewhere, that's fine. Were you active as a superhero in your own country, like the hero Arrowhawk, or have you only started your work here in Freedom City?

2."I've only been active as a superhero here in America. I'm neither a "legacy" hero, or someone with decades of experience, so I had to work to master my abilities before I felt it was right to use them in typical crime-fighting situations. As well, I wanted to, ah, "get the lay of the land", as it were."

3. How's your professional relationship with Freedom's superheroes? Are you on any teams, or have you made any close allies?

3."I am not on any teams at the moment. I've started working with assorted heroes here and there, but nothing formal has been achieved. I suppose my closest ally would be Freedom Angel, for, perhaps, obvious reasons."

A twinkle graces his eyes as he smiles.

4. "So your name isn't a coincidence? You actually do draw your powers from figures in Judeo-Christian mythology?"

4.No coincidence at all. I was visited by the Archangel Gavriel himself, the Herald and Messenger of God. He told me he was answering my prayers by granting me a small portion of his power. Specifically, the ability to influence sound.

5. Ah. The Archangel of God. I see. I've encountered many sonic controllers with a wide swath of abilities. Could you be a little more specific about your powers?

5. Well, I've found I'm able to cause intense nausea, disorientation, confusion, or even paralysis in my opponents. I can use sound to calm them, anger them, and so on; not mind control, but notable influence on their emotions and mood. I can concentrate it into a sheer thing of brute force, allowing me to knock opponents out. I can use a fancy version of ventriloquism to speak with people far away. I've yet to test it, but I suppose I could, if I wished, talk to everyone on Earth at once. I can even use my powers to fly! And...somehow, I seem to have become even more of a people person. I find it incredibly easy to negotiate with people, calm them down, and so on.

6. Interesting, interesting. Would you describe yourself as a worshiper of the Abrahamic God, or are you simply empowered by his agents?

6.As I said, I was visited by Gavriel in response to my own prayers. So, yes, I worship, as you call Him, the Abrahamic God.

7. I see. Do you find it difficult to work with other heroes who are empowered by the so-called pagan pantheons?

7. Yes and no. It can prove trying at times, depending on their, ah, source of power, and how aggressively they seek to make others aware of that fact. No, in that I have realized and accepted that my job, when I wear this costume, is not to be a preacher. It is to be someone who uses their powers to save lives. I respect people, no matter their creed. I may not agree with that creed, but I respect them as people. Nothing more than what I feel I'm called to do, really.

8. I'm sure that's good to hear. Tell me, do you think other heroes should have a similar agenda when it comes to their relationship with the world?

8. Do you mean, should other heroes not seek to specifically proselytize others to particular belief systems, ideas, or political agendas?

Again, I'd say yes and no. Yes, we shouldn't use our status as "superheros" as a platform to advertise our particular sets of religious or philosophical beliefs, or to advocate for political parties or individuals.

That said, I do believe we have a duty to call attention to issues causing harm to the city. For instance, I always like to raise awareness of how involved teenagers are becoming in criminal activity. Gangs, drugs, individual crimes. There's a whole host of reasons. I'm a firm believer that both public institutions and private citizens should try to work with these teens to provide them with better alternatives. I'm not going to dictate the particulars, because I think there are a lot of good options. Again, I primarily seek to raise awareness. I believe heroes should be willing to take that step in a public manner, if they feel so inclined. It's a delicate balance, I suppose.

9. That's a very good sentiment, I'm sure. The community could use more civic-minded superheroes. What is it about Freedom City that's attracted you to living and working here?

9. Honestly, it was less my individual choice, and more a rather blunt Divine message. So you could say that Someone Else chose this city, and I simply listened and obeyed.

10. I see. Were you told why? Is something going to happen here that our citizens should be made aware of?

10. Nothing specific. It was less of a strictly verbal message, and more that a couple of very obvious signs occurred when Freedom City was on the news one day. For one thing, my rosary glowed with white light. It's wooden, so that's not normal.

I've taken to think I'm simply here to play my part in the greater whole. If and when I'm led elsewhere, I'll go.

11. You sound like a very committed person. Would you say you have a life outside your work?

11. Outside of my hero work? Yes. I do things beyond just being a superhero.

Joan gives him such a look until he elucidates.

Gabriel has the grace to give a small, embarrassed cough.

I have a more normal job, and at least something resembling a social life. It's nothing fancy, but I feel content in my place. Suffice to say, my job outside of the mask helps people as well. I'm afraid I really can't tell you more than that.

I understand; most heroes do prefer their identity to be sacrosanct.

12. What do you think the role of justice should be in society? Do you favor retribution or reconciliation?

12. Justice is, first and foremost, something meant to protect the innocent. That said, I tend to lean much more towards reconciliation, especially for misdemeanors and lower-level felonies. A lot of times, such crimes occur as much because of circumstances as choices.

Don't mistake me; I fully believe people are responsible for their actions. Crimes cannot go unpunished. I simply think that all factors should be taken into account, and efforts should be made to let people pay their debt, then peacefully re-enter society.

Only the worst, unrepentant criminals should feel the greater share of retribution. I won't give a definitive statement on the exact form; not my place. But I do believe there is evil in the world, including truly evil people. And we must ensure, to the best of our ability within the law that these evil people cannot harm the rest of society.

13. I see. As you may know, the state of New Jersey recently abolished the death penalty. Do you favor the use of capital punishment on the worst recidivist super-criminals?

13.I believe that, in my current identity, it would be more prudent for me not to answer that question. My opinions on that are better expressed in my civilian identity, through votes and letters to the appropriate government representatives.

That actually got a smile out of the hard-nosed reporter.

14. Excellent. Tell me, how do you see your role as a superhero developing in the future?

14. Well. I suppose I'll continue to do what I've been doing. Hopefully, in a couple of years, I'll really start to see an impact from my efforts. Beyond that, I might end up joining one superhero group or another. Barring some unique guidance from my Boss, you understand.

15. I've been made aware of a demonic incursion in the city a few months ago. Do you think something like that is planning to happen again soon, and if so, do you have a plan to stop it?

15. I haven't received specific warning about it, and I haven't stumbled on any signs of such a plan. Yet. But, if it does occur, I will put my full effort into stopping it, right alongside the other heroes. My plan isn't extensive, at least not yet. Perhaps if I can integrate better with one team or another, I can make a more extensive plan.

16. Where does your first duty lie as a superhero?

16. To do my best to protect the innocent from threats, both mundane and extraordinary.

17. How do you define innocence, Mr. Gabriel?

17. Hm. Well, I suppose I'll go with the legal definition of innocence. That is, those who are not in the process of committing a crime. The people simply going about their day, living their lives. As I cannot read minds, I cannot judge people on their thoughts, or even perhaps things they've done in secret. But in a hostage situation, the innocent are those not holding a gun to someone's person, demanding money, freedom, etc. Or any similar situation.

18. Do you have a romantic life, Mr. Gabriel, or do you prefer to remain ascetic?

18. I haven't taken any vows of celibacy, if that's what you mean. Beyond that, I feel any detail, or lack of detail, is better left unspoken for the discretion of all involved.

19. Interesting, interesting. What are your views on the world outside of Freedom City? Do you agree with the Pinnacle Path's argument that this is the Calvinist 'shining city on a hill'?

19. The rest of the world? Well, I think people everywhere have value. I suppose Freedom City is special in some ways, but then, every city is special to those who call it home. I don't believe Freedom City is the "greatest city in the world", or anything of that nature. I don't know if I'd agree about the comment of a "shining city on a hill". Plenty of other cities can shine just as brightly. Beyond that, I won't comment on the Pinnacle Path.

20. Well, I think we're about finished. I just have one more question. Why does a man empowered by God and his angels need a secret ID?

20. Hm. A few reasons. First, my power is by no means absolute. It's harder than for the average citizen, but I could be killed. So caution is due. Second, it's only prudent to ensure the safety of my family, friends, and so on. God watches out for us, but it helps if we act intelligently. Actions have consequences, and revealing my identity would have consequences. Finally, and this is perhaps a bit selfish, I need the chance to get away from the overwhelming pressure of being a "superhero". I'm not all-powerful, so I cannot do everything and save everyone. I need time to be myself, to do things I enjoy in other arenas. It keeps me healthy mentally.

After pleasantries were exchanged, Gabriel left money for the waiter and flew off to continue his never-ending quest.

• 2 months later...

Associated Tropes

Badass Longcoat: Given to him by an archangel, no less!

Lawful Good: But still a nice guy.

The Cape: He dresses in a coat, not a cape, but otherwise fits to a "t".

Christianity is Catholic: Played straight. He's from the Republic of Ireland, so it's kind of expected.

Archangel Gabriel: Not only the inspiration for his heroic name, but also the one who gave him his powers.

Estrogen Brigade Bait: Carson is a 20-something Irish immigrant in great shape. That his powers push his Charisma to literally superhuman levels doesn't hurt.

Knight in Shining Armor: Gabriel has the attitude, and while he doesn't wear true armor, his outfit is almost entirely bright white, so he's still pretty shiny.

Red Headed Hero: Hidden by his costume, but otherwise true.

Martial Pacifist: Gabriel prefers to talk foes down from their actions. Failing that, he prefers to incapacitate them with various abilities, rather than beating them into submission.

Make Me Wanna Shout: Gabriel's entire powerset revolves around the use of sound and sonic energy.

Charm Person: While he doesn't push it to the fullest, Gabriel could easily get whole crowds to do whatever he wanted, after only a couple of minutes talking to them.

Beware the Nice Ones: Gabriel is normally a very nice person. But if pushed, he can become a holy terror in a fight.

November 15, 2010

I sit here in my home, having only been back to full capacity for 4 days. I can still hardly believe how close I came to going home to the Lord at the end of October. I keep having nightmares of those "super-ghouls"; except in the nightmares, I don't manage to take them down in time. It's...disturbing, to say the least. I still think it's a miracle no one was severely hurt; I learned later that there were some cuts, some bruises, and a couple sprains. Nothing from the undead hordes directly.

No, I was the only one hurt. They nearly cut me open, and I shudder to think what would have happened if some of those spells from either necromancer may have hit. I still praise the Lord I managed to take them all down. IN retrospect, what pride I allow myself pities the fact that there was no camera present. I'm sure it would have been an incredible sight.

No, now I am left with only my jumbled memory of pain, blood, sweat, and raw terror, and a set of scars across my torso that seem to ache when it's cold and wet. Stesha's good, but she's not perfect, and who knows what was on the claws of those beasts. I'll have these scars for the rest of my life...

I need to work harder, train harder. I've become complacent. I need to find ways to improve, become more flexible, or I might end up dying before my time out there...

• 3 months later...

February 20, 2011

I should be dead on my feet; I should barely be able to stand and guide myself around my apartment. Instead, I'm only just starting to feel the edges of exhaustion creep in. I still have the energy to pace, to think, to process.

For instance, I think I've finally figured out the dynamic between myself and Stesha. It's like family. She's like a wise older sister I never had; I mean, Brody's good for knocking sense into me now and again, but Stesha brings the shift of a female perspective. It's not like with my mother (saints know that would be awkward); we're too friendly for that. But as much as I love Riona, and acknowledge that she's an adult, I don't know I'd ever really be able to take advice the same way from her that I can from Stesha. Having reached this epiphany, all that strange discomfort I had earlier seems to have become a shadow of a memory. It's like I knew I felt a kinship with her, but couldn't place it. Giving a name to the thing crystallizes it and gives it strength.

Of course, even better was the chance to help. So many people, at that! Old and young, they all need something. Those poor children...I'm just glad I managed to fast-talk those charities into "blind drops". I'd feel bad about it, but the only reason for any vagueness on my part is that it'd take too long to explain. I think I can make some quiet contacts tomorrow and make more honest arrangements. God wants his Church to reach out and help anyone in need, even if they're in another dimension!

Though, I probably should hold off from preaching just yet. They seem so impressionable...thinking me an angel. Ha! As if. I feel blessed to be considered an average hero right now. Ah well. I'm sure we'll do right by them as time goes on. If nothing else, Stesha and I can slowly petition other heroes to help out; some of them have some pretty impressive resources to bring to bear.

Hm. I think I'm tired enough for bed now. I'd say helping get shoes on the feet of children was a good day's work all on its own.

• 1 year later...

Abbey of Saint Marcellin Champagnat

Rising well above the fairly flat area surrounding it, the new Cistercian monastery present on Sanctuary is a slightly unusual, but very welcome sight. The large building sits on a slight hill, its steeple almost doubling its height. The stone walls are a light brown, softening its imposing bulk and giving it a vaguely homey feel; this is augmented by the blue roof tiles that add a touch of cheer to its facade.

The interior of the building is a strange blend of ancient and modern, with plenty of electrical lighting, central air/heating, and interior plumbing making the prospect of staying in a stone building more appealing. Approximately 35 Cistercian monks, of varying ages and skillsets, call the monastery their home. They cultivate a large garden on-site, as well as engaging in a bit of trade with the villagers present, and the occasional shipment from Earth-Prime. To supplement the garden, they have a decent amount of livestock they keep; quite a few chickens, and a few cows (solely for milk at the moment) help provide meat, milk, and eggs to supplement their diet. But more important than the facilities to keep themselves sheltered and fed are the ones to help the natives of this battered world.

The library is well stocked with both theological works, and a large variety of teaching materials; a full third of the brothers at the monastery hold degrees in education, and freely provide classes for both children and adults, on subjects ranging from basic reading and math, to advanced agriculture and animal husbandry. Just as valuable, perhaps, is the very modern and fully stocked infirmary, providing care for both regular checkups and more critical care for injuries and illness. Five of the monks have medical education, with one of them being a qualified surgeon who plans to dedicate the rest of his life to helping those in a much less fortunate position. The rest of the brothers, besides possessing the skills to help maintain the monastery itself, are free to provide counseling, theological instruction, or even just a friendly helping hand and listening ear whenever the people may require it.

All in all, the Abbey of Saint Marcellin Champagnat on Sanctuary is a place of learning and hope, hope for a growing future for these people and this world.