Scion (PL10) - Doleth

Character Name: Scion

Player Name: Doleth

Power Level: 10 (150/155PP)

Trade-Offs: Melee -2/+2

Unspent PP: 5

Gold Status: 5/30

In Brief: Half-Ultiman Paragon with a love for the public.

Alternate Identities: Desmond V. Faulkner, Vor-Zed

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Ultima Thule

Affiliations: None

Family: Florence Faulkner(Mother), Alor-Zed(Father), Kal-Zed(Uncle)

Apparent Age: 20

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 181 cm(5’11’’)

Weight: 72.5 kg(160 lbs)

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Auburn

Theme:

[groove]22133657[/groove]

Description: Desmond is a tall, lean and muscular guy whose handsomeness is undermined by is generally scruffy appearance and a friendly kind of aloofness. He’s rarely seen wearing something else than jeans and t-shirt, as far as most people know. What most people doesn’t know, however, is that Desmond is also the superhero Scion, well-known for his green and dark gold costume, with his matching pair of wrap-around sunglasses, his hipster how-does-he-manage-to-see haircut, and his infectious a-bit-too large gregarious smile that just moment away from turning into an overconfident mocking smirk. His golden shoulder pads are adorned with what seems to be random pattern, but are actually ancient Atlantean writing meant to invoke good fortune and bravery while he got a stylized S on his belt buckle.

History: In the early eighties, a young super-heroine from Montréal named Florence Faulkner but better known as the Ice Queen was one of the principal defender of Canada and an occasional ally of Centurion. It come to no surprise then that when one of her ice sentinel catch sight of Superior, acting like a junkie on Max, beating up a guy looking like him and Centurion himself in the part of the North-Western territory that is now northern Nunavut, Ice Queen jumped into the fray to help her much powerful friend. The cosmic powered super-villain deflected her attack with a laugh then turned his attention away from his greatest foe and the other man while he proceed to “swat an annoying insect†as he put it, still laughing as he started to tear apart the young woman. While it pained Centurion immensely to watch the Ice Queen get brutally slaughter by his rival, the great hero kept his calm and, with the help of the other man, the ultiman and brother of Superior Ator-Zed, used an unknown device to banish Superior in the Zero-Zone. As soon as the menace was out of the way, the two men rushed to the broken form of the young heroine and, realizing that she was still barely alive, decided to bring her to Ultima Thule to be healed, as the nearest hospital was too far, even with the speed of Centurion. Her wounds were too serious even for the advance medicine of the hyperborean so they decided to let her stay among them under the care of Ator-Zed and thus, as it often happen in these kind of stories, the two (relatively) young people started to fall in love, married each other and eventually had a kid.

The young demi-human, named Desmond Vor-Zed Faulkner after both of his grand-fathers, was raised peacefully in the hidden city, cared for by loving parents and lots of uncles and aunts happy to see a kid again. Even better than that, Centurion, Daedalus and other super-heroes were often visiting Ultima Thule, bringing toys and stories from the outside world, filling Desmond head with tales of super-heroic adventures. Sure, he sometime longed for friends his age, and the fact that he could not speak with his mind or control cosmic energy like the others made him sad on occasion, but Desmond was generally happy with his life. However, a bit after his seventh birthday, his friends from the outside stopped coming to see him, and when he asked the adults around him why uncle Centurion wasn’t visiting anymore, they would just make a sad face and try to change the subject. He would only learn the complete truth five years later, at the same time as his parents were trying to convince their compatriot to let the family leave Hyperborea so the adolescent could experience life among normal human. The Ultima agreed to let them leave, under the condition that Alor-Zed was not to use his powers unless of an extreme emergency and that if Desmond would ever show sign of having the full power of a Ultima, they would have to bring him back so they could teach him the humility and the perspective needed to not abuse these assets. Florence, Alor-Zed and Desmond moved to Montréal in 1998, where Florence opened a refuge for young meta-humans and other youths in needs, Alor-Zed became a History teacher at McGill University and Desmond got enrolled in high school, at long last meeting people his age and getting friends.

It’s during this time that Desmond found his two passions, comic books and helping others. He was not too popular in school because of his isolated upbringing, but the friendship he had with a few geeks was solid and precious, not to mention the bond he felt with some of the meta-human he met while helping out his mother at her refuge. When he was fifteen, after a girl he knew from school got assaulted by a local drug dealer, Desmond bought a trench-coat, a hoodie of the Canadien hockey team and a goalie mask, took the moniker Scion and went out discreetly at night (as he stopped needing to sleep around that time) to fight crime using his superior strength, stamina and regeneration. Then in 2003, he finished high school and started an independent comic publisher with two of his friend, Cosmic Comic, where he wrote and drew a comic book about his nocturnal escapade. He also got a sudden surge in power, being finally able to tap into the vril, the cosmic energy empowering the Hyperborean. He went to his father for help in controlling it so he wouldn’t hurt anyone by accident and Alor-Zed was more than happy to teach him. Being from a race of telepathic supermen, the Ultiman already knew about his son superhero identity and that he would never fall in hubris like his uncle, the sinister Superior, and thus, with his wife support, decided to keep this sudden turn of event secret from the Ultima-Prime.

In the summer of 2005, life would once again change for the young hybrid as he had one of the most important encounters in his life. He was returning to his tiny apartment from his nightly patrol when he stumbled upon a group of armed Mafiosi surrounding a young man pleading for his life. Using his power to create a transparent donut-shaped cage separating the victim from his tormentors, trapping them with him, Scion then proceeded to defeat them theatrically, having decided to show-off a little for his last act of heroism of the night. He then went home without giving too much thought to the man he just saved. The other man however, a small-time crook with weak psychic abilities named Valentino Falco, was inspired by the display of showmanship and the dream of heroic glory that he got to witness from Scion. Using his power, he tracked down the young super-hero and approached him during the day to make him an offer of partnership. In exchange for a small percentage of anything Desmond would earn as Scion, Valentino would make the superhero famous by getting tv appearances, helping the comic get more reader, who knows, maybe even his own toy line or movie serie! At first, the demihuman was not so sure, but the italian-american, who used to be a designer, threw in a new costume and pointed out the fact that the worst case scenario was that it wouldn't work, Valentino wouldn't make any money and Scion still get a free suit. In the beginning, thing moved slowly for the pair as Scion would sometime appears in local tv show or radio station, but eventually the superhero got into bigger stations, bigger show until Valentino got Castle Comic to buy Cosmic Comic and hire it staff while convicing Desmond to move to Freedom City, where a young superhero could really become someone to admire.

Personality & Motivation: Desmond is a friendly but reserved young man with lots of self confidence that turn into cockiness when in his Scion persona. He became a superhero because, well, his mother was one and taught him at a very young age to care for other and to use his power for the greater good. He also wants to honor the memory of the Centurion, as he sees the great hero as an uncle of sort.

Powers & Tactics: As an half hyperborean, Scion is empowered by the same cosmic energy as the race of his father, greatly enhancing his strength and stamina far beyond the scope of a normal man, allowing him to shrug off even the worst of injury in a matter of minutes. While he lacks the true immortality and mental power of a full-blooded ultiman, his connection to the vril is still growing, so only time will tell if he’ll get the full power set. However, his control over cosmic energy is much more refined than what most young Ultima, with decades of training on him, can do, allowing Scion to create somewhat complex objects, form an cosmic energy aura around him and to use his energy blasts with precision. In combat, Scion usually start off by sending cosmic blast from the air at the villain that look the most likely to cause collateral damage so he can lure him/her/it someplace where they can fight without endangering the population while still close enough that the public can enjoy the fight. Before going into melee, Scion use his power to activate his aura if facing a serious threat or will just use his fist and wrestling move against less powerful foes. If facing a group of criminals close to each other, he’ll create an energy cage to subdue them without risking the safety of normal people.

Complications:

Fame: Scion eagerness to please the public lead him to appear often on TV or radio after a good superheroing.

Reputation: Many superheroes consider Scion to be a glory-hog and less of a hero because of it.

Responsibility: Desmond has a job as a comic book artist and writer.

Secret: His identity as Desmond Faulkner.

Abilities: 12 + 0 + 20 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 36PP

Strength 22 (+6)

Dexterity 10 (+0)

Constitution 30 (+10)

Intelligence 14 (+2)

Wisdom 10 (+0)

Charisma 10 (+0)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +0

Attack: +4, Unarmed +8

Grapple: +14

Defense: +10 (+4 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -5

Saving Throws: 0 + 5 + 5 = 10PP

Toughness: +10 (+10 Con)

Fortitude: +10 (+10 Con)

Reflex: +5 (+0 Dex, +5)

Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Skills: 28R = 7PP

Craft (Art): 3 (+5)

Craft (Structural): 3(+5)

Knowledge (Pop Culture): 3 (+5)

Intimidate : 5(+5)

Notice : 8(+8)

Profession (Writer): 6 (+6)

Feats: 9PP

Attack Focus: Unarmed Attack 2

Benefit(Status:Local Celebrity)

Dodge Focus 6

Powers: 4 + 27 + 8 + 10 + 14+ 9= 72PP

Comprehend 2(speak and understand all languages) [4PP] (Mental Power)

Cosmic Energy Control Array 12.5 (25 pts per power, Feats: 2 Alternate Power ) [27PP] (Cosmic Energy)

* BE: Cosmic Energy Control 10 (Feats: Accurate Attack x3, Precise x2) - Finger Beam

* AP: Create Object 10 (10 25ft cubes, toughness 10, Feats: Affect Insubstantial, Precise, Progression x2, Subtle)

* AP: Energy Aura 6 (Feat: Selective)

Flight 4(100MPH) [8pp]

Immunity 10(Life Support, Sleep) [10PP]

Regeneration 14 ( Bruised 1/round, Injured 1/round, Disabled/minute, Resurrection 1/day, Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [14PP]

Super-Strength 4 (+20 strength for carrying capacity, +4 on grappling, object breaking check and other sustained application of strength or pressure, Feats: Shockwave) [9PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK          RANGE          SAVE                       EFFECT

Unarmed        Touch         DC21 Toughness (Staged)      Damage

Energy Aura        Touch         DC21 Toughness (Staged)      Damage

Energy Aura+Unarmed    Touch     DC 27 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Finger Beam    Ranged        DC25 Toughness (Staged)      Damage

Shockwave      60ft-cone    DC21 Toughness (DC16 Reflex Half-damage)    Damage

Abilities (36) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (7) + Feats (9) + Powers (72) = 150/155 Power Points

So, it's been almost a week now and still nothing here. Is there something wrong with the character or did I do something I shouldn't have? If so, could someone tell me what so I can take the proper course of action? If everything's ok and this is the normal delay, then I'm sorry to be a bother.

OK, you had a good back story up until the corporate sponsorship showed up, but a word of caution I do know very little about the Ultimen. I don't feel that would fit well within our game. Put another way: do you really thing Centurion would like to see heroes gallivanting around with cola logos on their costume?

Onto the stats:

Stats are good,

Combat, you've got a typo for your defense. Your Base Defense is +4. Also, your Knockback is -5. And your Grapple should be +14.

Saves, good.

Skills, good, although I'd seriously recommend putting more points into here.

Feats, good, with the exception that I have no idea what the Tetsubo is.

Powers,

The Cosmic Energy Array needs work. It should look like this:

Cosmic Energy Control Array 12.5 (25 pts per power, Feats: 1 Alternate Power ) [26PP] (Cosmic Energy)

* BE: Cosmic Energy Control 10 Feats: Accurate Attack x3, Precise x2

* AP: Create Object 10 (10 25ft cubes, toughness 10, Feats: Progression x2)

[b]Cosmic Energy Control Array 12.5[/b] (25 pts per power, [i]Feats[/i]: 1 Alternate Power ) [26PP] (Cosmic Energy)

* [u]BE[/u]: [b]Cosmic Energy Control 10[/b] [i]Feats[/i]: Accurate Attack x3, Precise x2

* [u]AP[/u]: [b]Create Object 10[/b] (10 25ft cubes, toughness 10, [i]Feats[/i]: Progression x2) 

For Regeneration, I'm only counting 13 points spent. 1 For Bruised, 4 for Injured, 5 for Disabled, 1 for Ressurection, and 2 for the PF's.

Super-Strength. Now, cost wise you've got it right. I will however like to point out something. The ranks in Super-Strength DO NOT count as Strength ranks for determining the applicable rank of Super-Strength PF's. All Super Strength PF's like Shockwave for instance, use your Strength (plus any enhanced Strength) for determining the DC. Because your character has +6 Strength, the Shockwave is rank 6. It will stay rank 6 regardless of how many ranks in super Strength you have. Therefore it would be a DC 21 Toughness save allowing a DC 16 Reflex save for Half Damage.

Lastly, giving your attacks fancy names is actually pretty common. We just ask that you clearly show which are which. The preferred way of doing this is adding the flavor text at the end of the power in question. Example:

Blast 10 - Heat Vision

OK, you had a good back story up until the corporate sponsorship showed up,

Well, I wanted something to differentiate Scion from other paragon and any time I heard of super-hero with sponsorship, they were always mercenary type or at least considered barely better than the villains they fight. So, I wanted to prove that idea wrong with this character, a genuine super-hero with sponsors. Just so we're clear however, he doesn't work for these corporations directly, he just does publicity for them. If you really don't think it would fit here, I'll remove this aspect from the character.

but a word of caution I do know very little about the Ultimen. I don't feel that would fit well within our game.

The Ultima are an offshoot of humanity with cosmic power living in a hidden city in the Arctic Circle since shortly before the fall of atlantis. The canon supervillain Superior is one, you can find the template with a short description in the Freedom City sourcebook, p.97

Put another way: do you really thing Centurion would like to see heroes gallivanting around with cola logos on their costume?

Probably not, but he was a man from an older era and some of us still need to eat and we don't all have a cool fortress in the arctic with access to SCIENCE! :lol:

Onto the stats:

Stats are good,

Combat, you've got a typo for your defense. Your Base Defense is +4. Also, your Knockback is -5. And your Grapple should be +14.

I knew I was forgetting something! sorry.

Saves, good.

Skills, good, although I'd seriously recommend putting more points into here.

I agree, but it's pretty hard to put point in skill when you're working with a 105pp template with barely any feat or skill and no attack or defense bonus. With the 4 power points that you made me realize I still had, I got 5 rank in intimidate, 8 in notice and 3 in craft(Structural).

Feats, good, with the exception that I have no idea what the Tetsubo is.

It a large club, from mecha&manga. Basically, it works as a club, but does a bit more damage and it's bigger. I added some precision in the power&tactics section of my character sheet.

Powers,

The Cosmic Energy Array needs work. It should look like this:

Cosmic Energy Control Array 12.5 (25 pts per power, Feats: 1 Alternate Power ) [26PP] (Cosmic Energy)

* BE: Cosmic Energy Control 10 Feats: Accurate Attack x3, Precise x2

* AP: Create Object 10 (10 25ft cubes, toughness 10, Feats: Progression x2)

Thanks for the clarification, the way I understood the way array worked, I thought that I had to buy power feats with my own reserve of power point, not with the point from the array itself! With the 3 free point for Create Object, I gave it Affect Insubstantial, Precise and Subtle, so I can make more complex object that look like the real deal.

For Regeneration, I'm only counting 13 points spent. 1 For Bruised, 4 for Injured, 5 for Disabled, 1 for Ressurection, and 2 for the PF's.

For once, I'm not the only one who made a mistake, it 2 ranks for Ressurection/Day, but I'm still wrong by 2 points. Time to buy more skill!

Super-Strength. Now, cost wise you've got it right. I will however like to point out something. The ranks in Super-Strength DO NOT count as Strength ranks for determining the applicable rank of Super-Strength PF's. All Super Strength PF's like Shockwave for instance, use your Strength (plus any enhanced Strength) for determining the DC. Because your character has +6 Strength, the Shockwave is rank 6. It will stay rank 6 regardless of how many ranks in super Strength you have. Therefore it would be a DC 21 Toughness save allowing a DC 16 Reflex save for Half Damage.

Once again, this is me misreading a power description. The correct change have been made.

Lastly, giving your attacks fancy names is actually pretty common. We just ask that you clearly show which are which.

Done!

Yeah the corporate spokesman thing is going to be met with a lot of friction.

Ok, in regards to the Tetsubo, you don't have one. As in, you have not spent the necessary points in Equipment to have one. I would also look out for the limitations on Equipment. Specifically, attacking with a higher Rank attack than the Toughness of the weapon you are using causes said weapon to break. If Hulk hits someone with a car, the car breaks, the same thing could come into play here.

I removed all mention of him being sponsored by anyone, but I still left him as a show-off to the public. To represent that, I removed Benefit 1:Wealth for Benefit 1:Status.

For the tetsubo, my bad, I thought I could use create object to create weapon as I missed the line specifically saying that I can't. With that in mind, I dropped a rank of attack focus, switched Tetsubo to Unarmed Attack and used the remaining power point to buy Energy Aura as an alternate power in my Cosmic Control Array at rank 6 with the Selective power feat for a total of 25 points. I hope you find the change acceptable, if there's something else, feel free to beat me with a stick. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...