Droplet - PL 7 Hero - Lilac

Hero Name: Droplet

Name: Jessica Bowman

Description: Age - 10, Height - 4' 6", Weight - 65 lbs, Eyes - Ocean Blue, Hair - Dark Brown, Frame - Childish.

History: Jessica Huffman (obviously not her birth name) was born to Clydrodria, an Atlantean female and cousin to Theseus, king of Atlantis, and Terrence Vasquez a normal human male. Clydrodria was a member of a subversive Atlantean messianic cult that believed that the rightful regent of Atlantis would one day be born of mixed parentage, overthrow the king, and return the throne of Atlantis to its rightful place as Ruler of Seven Seas. In fact, Clydrodria was "assisting" the prophecy along when she conceived Jessica.

When Theseus began trying to stamp out the cult, Clydrodria abandoned her daughter on the boat of Dr. and Mrs. Huffman (husband and wife scientists for ASTRO Labs) and went into hiding, believing that if her daughter was destined to be the savior of Atlantis, keeping her alive until she was old enough to rule was the highest priority. The Huffman's raised the girl until she turned eight. At the age of eight she was kidnapped and ended up as a sideshow in the Circ de Éternel (the details of that still have to be worked out once Barnum has the circus thread/s up and running).

PL/PPs: 7/92

Unspent PPs: 2

Trade-offs: Attack/Save DC: +7/+7, Defense/Toughness: +7/+7

Abilities: Str 6, Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 8 (-1), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 14 (+2)

Cost – (-2) PPs

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4

Cost – 15 PPs

Combat: Attack +0 (+6 with Water Control Array), Defense +6 (+1 flat-footed)

Cost – 4 PPs

Skills: Bluff 5 (+7), Concentration 7 (+6), Diplomacy 3 (+5), Notice 5 (+4), Perform 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+3)

Cost – 7 PPs

Feats: All-out Attack, Attractive, Dodge Focus 4, Environmental Adaptation (Water), Equipment 1, Luck 2, Move-by Attack, Power Attack, Wealth 5

Cost – 17 PPs

Powers:

Atlantean Template: (Descriptors: Aquatic)

Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure)

Swimming 2

Super Senses 1 (Low-light Vision)

Cost – 6 PPs

Water Form: (Descriptors: Water)

Protection 6

Insubstantial 1 [Power Feats: Alternate Powers 3]

Alternate Power: Elongation 5

Alternate Power: Current Control 5

Alternate Power: Super Senses 5 (Acute Detect Water 3, Water (Descriptor and Effect) Awareness 2)

Cost – 14 PPs

Water Control: (Descriptors: Water)

Array 9 [Power Feats: Accurate 3, Alternate Powers 3]

Base Power: Water Control 9

Alternate Power: Blast 6 [Extra]

Alternate Power: Snare 6 [Extras]

Alternate Power: Trip 9 [Extra]

Cost – 24 PPs

"Messianic" Blood: (Descriptors: Water)

Boost 6 (Water Powers, 2 PP/rank*[see note 5]) [Limited]

Cost – 5 PPs

Cost: Ability Scores -2 + Saves 15, Combat 4 + Skills 7 + Feats 17 + Powers (6 + 14 + 24 + 5) 49 = 90 PPs

Notes:

:arrow: Droplet will not begin the game with Wealth or Equipment. That will come when she gets reunited with her adopted family and joins the kid hero team.

:arrow: Droplet can pull the water from the air, nearby pipes, etc. to fuel her boost. That is why the power fails when she is in extremely arid conditions (desert, sealed in an airtight room, etc.).

:arrow: Current Control is listed under Water Control in UP.

:arrow: Luck is used for stunting her water powers.

:arrow: The 2 PP version of Boost: "Boost can affect any trait suiting your descriptors, one at a time. If the subject does not have the targeted trait, he or she may gain it temporarily, at the GM's discretion."

Description: Age - 10, Height - 4' 6", Weight - 65 lbs, Eyes - Ocean Blue, Hair - Dark Brown, Frame - Childish.

History: Jessica Huffman (obviously not her birth name) was born to Clydrodria, an Atlantean female and cousin to Theseus, king of Atlantis, and Terrence Vasquez a normal human male. Clydrodria was a member of a subversive Atlantean messianic cult that believed that the rightful regent of Atlantis would one day be born of mixed parentage, overthrow the king, and return the throne of Atlantis to its rightful place as Ruler of Seven Seas. In fact, Clydrodria was "assisting" the prophecy along when she conceived Jessica.

When Theseus began trying to stamp out the cult, Clydrodria abandoned her daughter on the boat of Dr. and Mrs. Huffman (husband and wife scientists for ASTRO Labs) and went into hiding, believing that if her daughter was destined to be the savior of Atlantis, keeping her alive until she was old enough to rule was the highest priority. The Huffman's raised the girl until she turned eight. At the age of eight she was kidnapped and ended up as a sideshow in the Circ de Éternel (the details of that still have to be worked out once Barnum has the circus thread/s up and running).

Cost – (-2) PPs

Cost – 15 PPs

Cost – 4 PPs

Skills: Bluff 5 (+7), Concentration 7 (+6), Diplomacy 3 (+5), Notice 5 (+4), Perform 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+3)

Cost – 7 PPs

Feats: All-out Attack, Attractive, Dodge Focus 4, Environmental Adaptation (Water), Equipment 1, Luck 2, Move-by Attack, Power Attack, Wealth 5

Cost – 17 PPs

Powers:

Swimming 2

Cost – 6 PPs

Protection 6

Alternate Power: Super Senses 5 (Acute Detect Water 3, Water (Descriptor and Effect) Awareness 2)

Cost – 14 PPs

Cost – 24 PPs

Cost – 5 PPs

Cost: Ability Scores -2 + Saves 15, Combat 4 + Skills 7 + Feats 17 + Powers (6 + 14 + 24 + 5) 49 = 90 PPs

Notes:

:arrow: Droplet will not begin the game with Wealth or Equipment. That will come when she gets reunited with her adopted family and joins the kid hero team.

:arrow: Droplet can pull the water from the air, nearby pipes, etc. to fuel her boost. That is why the power fails when she is in extremely arid conditions (desert, sealed in an airtight room, etc.).

:arrow: The 2 PP version of Boost: "Boost can affect any trait suiting your descriptors, one at a time. If the subject does not have the targeted trait, he or she may gain it temporarily, at the GM's discretion."

Cost – (-2) PPs

Cost – 15 PPs

Cost – 4 PPs

Cost – 7 PPs

Cost – 17 PPs

Powers:

Swimming 2

Cost – 6 PPs

Protection 6

Cost – 14 PPs

Cost – 24 PPs

Cost – 5 PPs

Notes:

I'm fine with the history. Mechanically speaking, there are a few issues.

1) I think you only need to buy Innate once for the "template". That template is basically a Container as it is described, and it's how all the animals with Innate are built. However, related to that:

2) You can't have a Power Loss drawback on your Super-Senses. They are only 1 pp, and a -1 Power Loss drawback means that you're getting them for free. Overall, by removing the drawback and eliminating two of the "Innates", you're up 1 pp. If you don't want to be able to see with low-light vision on dry land, it can be modeled as a complication.

3) I don't think the "water" descriptor makes sense on your Atlantean template. Atlanteans live in the water, but that doesn't mean the source of their ability to live underwater is the water itself.

4) "Messianic Blood" should be noted as only affecting any one of your Water-descriptor powers at a time. This also means that if you use it to boost one of your water powers and then switch to an alternate power, the alternate power is not Boosted.

5) I consider the heat descriptor to be uncommon, so a minor vulnerability would only be 1 pp. You could use the other pp from above to make up for this, if you want.

1) I think you only need to buy Innate once for the "template". That template is basically a Container as it is described, and it's how all the animals with Innate are built. However, related to that:

2) You can't have a Power Loss drawback on your Super-Senses. They are only 1 pp, and a -1 Power Loss drawback means that you're getting them for free. Overall, by removing the drawback and eliminating two of the "Innates", you're up 1 pp. If you don't want to be able to see with low-light vision on dry land, it can be modeled as a complication.

3) I don't think the "water" descriptor makes sense on your Atlantean template. Atlanteans live in the water, but that doesn't mean the source of their ability to live underwater is the water itself.

4) "Messianic Blood" should be noted as only affecting any one of your Water-descriptor powers at a time. This also means that if you use it to boost one of your water powers and then switch to an alternate power, the alternate power is not Boosted.

5) I consider the heat descriptor to be uncommon, so a minor vulnerability would only be 1 pp. You could use the other pp from above to make up for this, if you want.

I'd never allow that, so I think I'll leave it as is unless I just have to change it.

Actually you are incorrect. My super-sense is 2 PPs total cost (1 rank + Innate), so the drawback is perfectly legit.

I can change the descriptor to "Aquatic" if you like.

It is noted. That's what 2 PP/rank means. It is the very definition of 2 PP/rank. But I can spell it out if you like.

I think you're way off, but if you insist, I'll change it to . . .

Minor Vulnerability to Fire - 1 pt.

Minor Vulnerability to Plasma - 1 pt.

Is that better? It's less of a vulnerability for the same amount of points.

I'd never allow that, so I think I'll leave it as is unless I just have to change it.

Actually you are incorrect. My super-sense is 2 PPs total cost (1 rank + Innate), so the drawback is perfectly legit.

It is noted. That's what 2 PP/rank means. It is the very definition of 2 PP/rank. But I can spell it out if you like.

I will not approve this. I do not consider the power feat to be part of the power it is modifying.

That's fine.

That's what I'm looking for, since saying "Boost 6 (water powers)..." implies that it is all water powers, even though the cost is 2 pp/rank. "Boost 6 (Any water power...)" is a better way to state it.

I would accept that.

I will not approve this. I do not consider the power feat to be part of the power it is modifying.

That's fine.

That's what I'm looking for, since saying "Boost 6 (water powers)..." implies that it is all water powers, even though the cost is 2 pp/rank. "Boost 6 (Any water power...)" is a better way to state it.

I would accept that.

That's fine.

I would accept that.

So power feats don't count toward the power's total cost? The text is very clear:

"A power can have a total value in drawbacks equal to 1 point less than its total cost (so the power must cost at least 1 power point, regardless of how many drawbacks it has)." UP, 106.

The total cost is 2 PP. So it can have a total of 1 point of drawbacks (2-1=1). It does. It now costs 1 PP.

But if you just refuse to approve it, so be it.

"Water powers" identifies the powers "suiting my descriptors." 2 PPs/rank identifies the scope of the boost (which is one power at a time). I went ahead and quoted the relevant boost text for complete and utter clarity. I even corrected the number-agreement grammatical error in the text. :D

So power feats don't count toward the power's total cost? The text is very clear:

"A power can have a total value in drawbacks equal to 1 point less than its total cost (so the power must cost at least 1 power point, regardless of how many drawbacks it has)." UP, 106.

The total cost is 2 PP. So it can have a total of 1 point of drawbacks (2-1=1). It does. It now costs 1 PP.

"Water powers" identifies the powers "suiting my descriptors." 2 PPs/rank identifies the scope of the boost (which is one power at a time). I went ahead and quoted the relevant boost text for complete and utter clarity. I even corrected the number-agreement grammatical error in the text. :D

I did some reading last night, and I found why I was confused about how the costing worked with powers. In Ultimate Power, it states that a power consists of effects, power feats, modifiers, and drawbacks. In the core book, the word "power" was used in the UP sense (for the entire thing) and in the same way as effect. I had thought that an effect's cost couldn't be reduced below 1, rather than an entire power. Therefore, the Super-Senses power is legal.

I also apologize for being rude. I did not intend to preclude you from getting sanctioned by other people, only to say that I was not going to sanction you then.

Barnum and I spoke the other night, and we would not allow a Drain or Nullify on Immunity and Super-Senses (the former because it opens up cans of worms that the system can't handle; the latter because it's almost always better simulated as Dazzle or Obscure). Since Current Control wouldn't be able to affect your Swimming if the Swimming were innate, it seems like you'd be better off removing Innate from it.

I did some reading last night, and I found why I was confused about how the costing worked with powers. In Ultimate Power, it states that a power consists of effects, power feats, modifiers, and drawbacks. In the core book, the word "power" was used in the UP sense (for the entire thing) and in the same way as effect. I had thought that an effect's cost couldn't be reduced below 1, rather than an entire power. Therefore, the Super-Senses power is legal.

I also apologize for being rude. I did not intend to preclude you from getting sanctioned by other people, only to say that I was not going to sanction you then.

Barnum and I spoke the other night, and we would not allow a Drain or Nullify on Immunity and Super-Senses (the former because it opens up cans of worms that the system can't handle; the latter because it's almost always better simulated as Dazzle or Obscure). Since Current Control wouldn't be able to affect your Swimming if the Swimming were innate, it seems like you'd be better off removing Innate from it.