Thistle and Thyme [IC]

KC entered the room, slightly embarrassed that he had actually done that. "Sorry guys...I just thought that you all were mystics, and well. I've seen Dr. Orpheus on Venture Bros..." he said, sheepishly. His eyebrows raised at the sign of the Revoltin' Revenant. He had met the zombie before, and was wondering why he wasn't shot down for such a dramatic entrance. Whatever.

"Hey DH, been a while. What's up?"

KC entered the room, slightly embarrassed that he had actually done that. "Sorry guys...I just thought that you all were mystics, and well. I've seen Dr. Orpheus on Venture Bros..." he said, sheepishly.

"It's okay," Nick said. "And hey, sometimes flashy works. It's just, sometimes it also works to be understated. Besides, Orpheus is a bit of a honey-roasted ham. If I went around every haunt bellowing, 'There are RESTLESS SPIIIIRITS AFOOT!', I'd probably have polyps by now."

Equinox had spun immediately when the Cthulhu-esque symbol was conjured, her wand in hand and her pentagram showering her with solid white light. But when everyone else dropped their spells, she did too. "No, it's alright. It's nice to see people who appreciate a good dramatic entrance." She forced a slightly shaky smile as she offered a hand for the... tentacled thing... to shake. It trembled slightly in revulsion, but she forced herself to hold it out. Now, now, Siobhan, it's not his fault he has horrible tentacles for a face. Probably.

Robin had a smile for him when Dead Head finally emerged, thin but with real warmth behind it. She was surprised to see him, though. She understood that this was a gathering of sorcerers, witches, and other such workers of magic. Dead Head obviously had magic, he had it down to his bones, but she didn't consider it the same sort of power that she used.

Her ruminations were interrupted when a flood of energy banged the double doors open and filled her head with the scent of fish and dust and sea water. Instinctively she brought her staff up in a horizontal guard, but as the other mystics let their active defenses dissipate she slowly let her staff fall. One end hit the ground and in a moment it was vertical again. When she spoke it was with an edge of irritation in her voice. "Why am I the only one who knows how to use a door?"

Equinox had spun immediately when the Cthulhu-esque symbol was conjured, her wand in hand and her pentagram showering her with solid white light. But when everyone else dropped their spells, she did too. "No, it's alright. It's nice to see people who appreciate a good dramatic entrance." She forced a slightly shaky smile as she offered a hand for the... tentacled thing... to shake. It trembled slightly in revulsion, but she forced herself to hold it out. Now, now, Siobhan, it's not his fault he has horrible tentacles for a face. Probably.

KC noticed her slight disgust, and kind of understood why she was so shocked. Most people were when meeting him for the first time. So KC curled his hand, and gave her a fist bump. "I'll try to avoid such drama in the future. Just thought it'd be fun. I forgot how bad the name Cthulhu is among mystics. My apoligies."

Her ruminations were interrupted when a flood of energy banged the double doors open and filled her head with the scent of fish and dust and sea water. Instinctively she brought her staff up in a horizontal guard, but as the other mystics let their active defenses dissipate she slowly let her staff fall. One end hit the ground and in a moment it was vertical again. When she spoke it was with an edge of irritation in her voice. "Why am I the only one who knows how to use a door?"

KC held his head down for a minute, and crossed his hands behind his back. He looked rather like a boy who threw his baseball and broke your window. "Yeah...just forgot for a minute."

He took a look at the now-disheveled pile of presents. "So, uh... you have any trouble getting in?"

"Nah, no trouble," the Revoltin' Revenant repled as he waved to Ouroboros and Hellion. "Took some doin' ta get it all set up, though. Feet an' head was easy ta do, but the hands wus trickier. Fortunately, I knew a few fellas what was glad ta help me, so-"

He threw open the doors and said at the top of his voice "CTHULHU F'HTAGN, MORTALS!" and summoned an Elder Sign in mystic fire. The after-effects of this caused the room to shake and the lights to flicker.

"Sonuva!," he spat as he instinctively reached behind him for his shovel, then remembered it wasn't there. Calming, he leaned a bit closer to Nick, "It's a miracle that kid ain't got hisself banished by now. Guess he really is a good egg."

The zombie's head throbbed, and would throughout the evening.

Hey, new gal there shaking the Kid's hand. I'll have t'remember t'introduce myself.

"Sonuva!," he spat as he instinctively reached behind him for his shovel, then remembered it wasn't there. Calming, he leaned a bit closer to Nick, "It's a miracle that kid ain't got hisself banished by now. Guess he really is a good egg."

"He's a bit over the top, yeah," Nick whispered back, "and his shoggoth does some... weird... tricks. But his heart's in the right place. Helped me deal with this troublesome ghost that was trying to bring a little bit of the Underworld up into the Boardwalk. He subdued it, I banished it."

KC crossed his arms and looked around the room. So his entry wasn't exactly smiled upon...but his origins probably had to do with that. He hoped he hadn't already made a bad impression. He saw his friend Nick, the necromancer.

"Hey Nick! How's the night life treatin' ya?" he said, walking up to him. He noticed Dead Head was there as well, and he did like him enough. Something about the fact that a zombie was more welcome than him rubbed him the wrong way. Although to be fair, that probably wasn't his fault either.

"Graveyard shift's going pretty well," Nick said. "Some troubles here and there -- draugr, stuff like that -- but I'm getting a good success rate. Had to do a few exorcisms, but I've mostly gotten those who want it to pass on peacefully, and got a few more out of the echo state. How 'bout you? How's patrolling been lately?"

KC scratched his head. "Eh, you know. Same old, same old. Had to fight this guy who considers himself my 'arch nemesis'. The Collector. This crazy art guy who broke into a museum to steal some paintings. After I kicked his butt, he swore vengeance, you know the spiel. Kicked his butt again, of course." he said with a laugh. "I can't really hold my own against any major villains, to be honest, but people are really impressed when I take down losers like him. Funny."

Nick chuckled. "Well, people like the flashy stuff," Nick said. "There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes in this trade, stuff most outsiders don't see that's still important. Gives 'em a thrill when they see it up front -- costumed villains breaking into museums, robot armies marching on Main Street, stuff like that. It's a good way to get your name out there, show the world you mean business.

"As for the 'major villains' thing... you've just gotta give it time. When I was starting out in the game, I couldn't do much more than talk to ghosts and try and act intimidating. Took me time to pick up the talents, the tradecraft, and everything else. Hell, first time I really worked true necromancy was when I was about to get my brains bashed in. Not every cook starts out knowing how to make the perfect filet mignon, and not every hero starts out able to punt Superior into the Atlantic. It takes time. And trust me -- you'll get there one day."

Robin rubbed at her nose; all these overlapping auras were giving her something not unlike hay-fever. Still, if she was here to network she needed to talk to people. With that in mind she walked up to Dead Head, giving the zombie a small nod, one professional to another. "I didn't expect to see you here," she admitted. "The rest of the city's dead resting soundly?"

Nick chuckled. "Well, people like the flashy stuff," Nick said. "There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes in this trade, stuff most outsiders don't see that's still important. Gives 'em a thrill when they see it up front -- costumed villains breaking into museums, robot armies marching on Main Street, stuff like that. It's a good way to get your name out there, show the world you mean business.

"As for the 'major villains' thing... you've just gotta give it time. When I was starting out in the game, I couldn't do much more than talk to ghosts and try and act intimidating. Took me time to pick up the talents, the tradecraft, and everything else. Hell, first time I really worked true necromancy was when I was about to get my brains bashed in. Not every cook starts out knowing how to make the perfect filet mignon, and not every hero starts out able to punt Superior into the Atlantic. It takes time. And trust me -- you'll get there one day."

KC nodded. "I was hoping to maybe join a team. I was thinking maybe the Midnighters, ever heard of 'em? I think Dead Head's involved with them. Some kinda band of oddballs. I could go for that kind of group. We have to meet up sometime though, that adventure at the carnival was too cool. Met any nice ghosties lately?" KC said, making small talk with Nick. He looked over at Dead Head. He no long shuddered in his presence, but he was still a little wary of him.

"He's a bit over the top, yeah," Nick whispered back, "and his shoggoth does some... weird... tricks. But his heart's in the right place. Helped me deal with this troublesome ghost that was trying to bring a little bit of the Underworld up into the Boardwalk. He subdued it, I banished it."

"He's got a heart?," the Revoltin' Revenant quipped. "Heh, nah, nah, I'm sure he's a... fine... er... guy," he stammered out apologetically.

Robin rubbed at her nose; all these overlapping auras were giving her something not unlike hay-fever. Still, if she was here to network she needed to talk to people. With that in mind she walked up to Dead Head, giving the zombie a small nod, one professional to another. "I didn't expect to see you here," she admitted. "The rest of the city's dead resting soundly?"

"Actually, no, an' that's been worryin' me somethin' fierce." The zombie cocked his head slightly, "somehin' rilin' 'em up, and' I ain't found out what yet, 'cuz they don't know, it's jes' a... a feelin' they got. Ain't never seen nothin' like it."

An' speakin'a things I ain't never seen the like of...

He looked over at Dead Head. He no long shuddered in his presence, but he was still a little wary of him.

"Kid," the zombie address the Cthulhu-esque hero, "I ain't gonna lie -- you freak me out. An' given th' things I seen, that's sayin' somethin'. But, Nick here vouches for ya, an'... well...."

Dead Head extended his hand to Kid Cthulhu, "if'n ya want in on the Midnighters, ya'd get my vote."

"Actually, no, an' that's been worryin' me somethin' fierce." The zombie cocked his head slightly, "somehin' rilin' 'em up, and' I ain't found out what yet, 'cuz they don't know, it's jes' a... a feelin' they got. Ain't never seen nothin' like it."

An' speakin'a things I ain't never seen the like of...

The corners of Robin's mouth turned down. "Something's stirring up the dead? Do you have any leads on it? God, spirit, mortal?"

"Ain't been able t'find out," the Revoltin' Revenant replied with a worried look, "which either means somthin' reeeal subtle, or reeeal pow'rful an' intimidatin'. Neither'a which make me feel any better 'bout it. Best I can find is that there's someone -- or a bunch'a someones -- messin' with the doorways 'tween this side an' th'Other. But it ain't t'bring someone back... least, it don't feel like that's what's goin' on. More like... like they's jes' tryin' t'wedge the door open, but I dunno why."

The zombie glanced back at Kid Cthulhu, and could not help but recall the line "even death may die." Kid, fer yer sake, I hope y'ain't messed up in any'a this.

"'Course, even jes' leavin' th'doorways open is trouble 'nough, all sorts'a spirits eager t'cross over. But if it is jes' t'cause chaos, is that th'ultimate goal? Or is that a distraction fer somethin' even bigger?"

"Kid," the zombie address the Cthulhu-esque hero, "I ain't gonna lie -- you freak me out. An' given th' things I seen, that's sayin' somethin'. But, Nick here vouches for ya, an'... well...."

Dead Head extended his hand to Kid Cthulhu, "if'n ya want in on the Midnighters, ya'd get my vote."

Kid Cthulhu shook the dead man's hand heartily. "You know...you kind of freak me out too, since we're on the subject. But if you stay away from my brains, I promise to lay off your sanity. Clear? Oh, and I may actually take you up on that offer. Where do you guys meet?

Robin scowled but kept herself from lashing out against the furnishing. "Well, you have my card," she said. "I'll keep an eye out and light a candle if I figure anything out."

Excusing herself from the revenant, she moved down the table to the pale man in the flowing robes. She didn't hold out her hand, but she did bow slightly to him. "Robin Cross," she said by way of greeting. "Owner and proprietor of Cross' Roads."

Ouroboros inclined his head in return well aware that for many contact with other supernaturals had unintended consequences making the handshake less than optimal. "Greetings Miss Cross." he replied his voice clipped with clear annunciation the byproduct of years of speech therapy, "Ouroboros, I have heard word of your establishment it is good to have such places watched over by those who know to keep true power out of the hands of amateurs." Despite the depth of his cowl it was hard from this distance to disguise the fangs emerging from his upper jaw though he kept his lips curled down in an attempt to cover the most obvious tell as to his true nature.

Robin nodded solemnly. "The best are charlatans," she suggested. "They're just con men. The ones who hand out trinkets of real power without understanding them, though, are like children playing with hand grenades." She shook her head with a quick motion. "But those are bad memories, and I don't like to dwell on those if I can help it. Instead, let's gossip about people who aren't here." Her eyes glittered with good humor and she smiled, undercutting her petty words. "My invitation was signed by Eldrich. I wonder he'll show?"

"Ain't been able t'find out," the Revoltin' Revenant replied with a worried look, "which either means somthin' reeeal subtle, or reeeal pow'rful an' intimidatin'. Neither'a which make me feel any better 'bout it. Best I can find is that there's someone -- or a bunch'a someones -- messin' with the doorways 'tween this side an' th'Other. But it ain't t'bring someone back... least, it don't feel like that's what's goin' on. More like... like they's jes' tryin' t'wedge the door open, but I dunno why."

The zombie glanced back at Kid Cthulhu, and could not help but recall the line "even death may die." Kid, fer yer sake, I hope y'ain't messed up in any'a this.

"'Course, even jes' leavin' th'doorways open is trouble 'nough, all sorts'a spirits eager t'cross over. But if it is jes' t'cause chaos, is that th'ultimate goal? Or is that a distraction fer somethin' even bigger?"

"I've been seeing some of the aftermath, as you'd imagine," Nick said. "That ghost I was telling you about, Dead Head? He'd managed to pry his way out of Tartarus, take the standards of the judges of the dead, and set up a little kingdom of the dead in the spiritual reflection of the Golden Palace. At first I thought it was an isolated jail break, but if things are weird downstairs, that might explain it."

He paused. "Question is, who wants to pry the lid off? Samedi's always a candidate -- this seems like his brand of chaos. I wonder... where are the gateways opening to? We trace which dominions are being disturbed, we might find the culprit."

Robin nodded solemnly. "The best are charlatans," she suggested. "They're just con men. The ones who hand out trinkets of real power without understanding them, though, are like children playing with hand grenades." She shook her head with a quick motion. "But those are bad memories, and I don't like to dwell on those if I can help it. Instead, let's gossip about people who aren't here." Her eyes glittered with good humor and she smiled, undercutting her petty words. "My invitation was signed by Eldrich. I wonder he'll show?"

Equinox had been fairly silent, surreptitiously chomping down on some sandwiches while she could. The food budget's not huge this week, sue me. "It's unlikely," she conceded. "He's a very busy man. Back when he was sort-of trying to teach me, I was lucky if I got lessons more than two evenings a week. Which'd be why he got Phantom to preside."

Robin glanced around at the woman with the white eyes and the black-black hair. Her tone changed to polite inquiry and she looked between Equinox and Ouroboros, addressing the statement to both equally. "I don't think I've ever met Phantom, in point of fact." Her gaze swept across the room, taking in the sometimes-gaudy, often-extravagant costumes of the mystics all around. It seemed like herself and Dead Head were the only ones who wouldn't be looked at twice on the street. Careful, Robin, she thought to herself. You're beginning to identify with a ghoul.

• 4 weeks later...

"I've been seeing some of the aftermath, as you'd imagine," Nick said. "That ghost I was telling you about, Dead Head? He'd managed to pry his way out of Tartarus, take the standards of the judges of the dead, and set up a little kingdom of the dead in the spiritual reflection of the Golden Palace. At first I thought it was an isolated jail break, but if things are weird downstairs, that might explain it."

He paused. "Question is, who wants to pry the lid off? Samedi's always a candidate -- this seems like his brand of chaos. I wonder... where are the gateways opening to? We trace which dominions are being disturbed, we might find the culprit."

"Everywhere, near as I can tell," the Revenant replied, "'least, all the Realms'a the Dead. Saw some draugr th'other night, a vrykolokas in' the West End, an' last week I swear I saw a civateteo down by th' South river, in th' Fens, an' a penanggalan flappin' over Lantern Hill. An' I plum lost count'a the times an Aztec or Egyptian mummy woke up in some museum!"

Oddly, when Dead Head rattled off the names of the assorted undead creatures he'd faced, he did so with the perfect clarity of a native speaker.

"But what's really got me worried is that I ain't been able t'figure if all these spirits showin' up is some intended part'a whatever's goin' on, or if that's jes' a side-effect'a whatever the real goal is... or a cover-up t'distract us from somethn' even worse! Either way," he paused and shook his head, "bad ju-ju. I do got a feelin' Samedi's behind it, but not jes' Samedi -- been my experience tha' he tends t'go with jes' his own type'a zombies, not th' variety I been seein'."