Shall We Dance IC

angrydurf

"I'm so proud of you," Alex beamed at him and then got a sneaky expression on her face. Which, since it was Alex, was mostly comical as she looked around and then leaned into him, "So... just how far does that 'too short to wait on things' extend exactly?"

She slid her fingers up his shirt experimentally, scooting closer in his lap to him.

Mike blushed deeply, "Uhm w-w-well." he stammered and awkwardly cleared his throat though he did not withdraw or halt her advances, "Some things are worth waiting for." he said trying to regain his composure and leaned in to kiss her once more. As he drew back afterward he smiled to her, "but you certainly don't need any psychic powers to scramble my brains." His eyes twinkled with affection and he pulled her close still not shying from her touch his own embrace bolder than usual itself.

Alex shifted so she was straddling his lap, her arms wrapped around his neck. She beamed at him and Mike could feel her relax, the pressure she was exerting on him subtly let up as she stopped pushing quite so hard. Their relationship was a bit inverted since she was certainly the physical aggressor but really, it came from the fact that his mind whispered one thing at her while he refused to act on those desires. It was rare that Mike's mind and heart wanted two different things. Now, however, there was none of that discordance so Alex relaxed from trying to figure them out and just cuddled close to him.

"You certainly were." Alex agreed, leaning into nuzzle along his jawline affectionately, "I mean, worth waiting for."

Mike smiled wide and held her close, "You too." he murmured against the top of her head. Planting a chaste kiss against her forehead he relaxed into the intimate moment no longer worrying about the pressures of teen peers or teen bodies quite satisfied with the companionable silence for the time being. He leaned back slightly to better look at her face, "We have plenty of time but we can explore some if you like. We have the the farm until tomorrow afternoon."

"Okay... Uhm, what did you plan to do until then?" Alex asked softly, reaching up to trace light fingertips over his cheek. She smiled at him, her eyes shining with all of her emotions. Alex paused again to admire her sparkling engagement band and then cupped his cheek, "Tonight, I mean. Where are you sleeping?"

Alex took a deep breath and then rushed out with. "I wanna sleep with you. No! Not like that, just... you know. To sleep. I want to fall asleep curled up against your chest. That's all. Please?"

Mike pressed one finger gently to her lips, "Shhhh." he intoned with a small smile, "I know what you meant and," He paused with a slight blush and an audible gulp, "Theres only the one bed anyway." he rushed out and awkwardly bit his lower lip, "Not that I assumed I just ..." he looked to his new fiance nervously and gathered what scraps of confidence he could about himself, "I'd like that too." he finally said.

Alex giggled at him and kissed the blunt fingertip against her lips gently. "We're a pair. You think if we get all this stuttering and stammering out of the way, we'll be less likely to do it on our wedding night?"

She looked up at him, "Speaking of which, when do you wanna get married?"

"I can hope." he said with a laugh, "But I think its hope in vain." he joked with an easy smile. He let his hand drift to her hip tracing along her side with a contended sigh. "I was thinking over the summer after graduation." he said with an assertive nod. He may have wanted to wait until they were married but that didn't mean he didn't want that to happen as soon as possible. "Easier then then when we're already settled in separately with work or school or whatever I figure."

"A summer wedding would be nice." Alex agreed, her thoughts already whirring along to plan it. She plucked at his shirt, "Mike... when you marry me... your secret identity. Well, it's probably pretty much a gone thing, don't you think? What should we do about it? I'm... Well, I'm known now. I'm famous and we're really gonna be wealthy. That alone would be enough but with the terminus thing, it's gonna be a zoo. Everything we do is going to be like that. At least until people are used to us being what we are. Do you want to get married like in secret? Keep it quiet?"

The idea didn't sit well with her obviously as she turned up a worried face to him.

Mikes brow furrowed slightly as he thought in it it hadn't really occurred to him what would happen with her being so public a figure. "Well we're not keeping it a secret what would be the point of doing it if it was secret?" he said dismissively. He placed a small kiss on her cheek once more, "I want everyone to know." he added with a smile. "I should probably come out ahead of time then." he suggested resolutely, "I wouldn't want the wedding to be all about that you know?"

• 3 weeks later...

"But after you graduate and turn eighteen," Alex agreed, her mind already whirling away. "And it has to be done in a way that doesn't make people feel you were deceiving them or anything. Otherwise, that would be a big old problem. I don't know. What do you think, Mike? How do you want to tell the world?"

Alex went to say something more but stopped herself, looking down at her linked hands stead as their mental link turned opaque for a moment. It was rare that Alex self-edited with him but it did happen. Usually when she was worried about how he'd take a comment.

Mike nodded agreement it seemed unlikely that he'd be as able as Alex to hold together school, heroics and the publicity as well as she had. "Yea that makes sense." he murmured in agreement gently stroking her hair as he pondered her question. A normal press conference seemed out of the question it would seem almost contrived on the heels of Alexs revelation just months ago.

It took him longer than usual to notice the subtle withdrawal but he soon did and worry creased his brow, "Alex what is it? Is something the matter?"

"No, nothing's the matter," Alex said honestly, patting his broad chest with her hands soothingly, "I just... I had a thought and I don't want to share it just yet. It'll upset you and I don't want today to be marred by that. Please? We can talk about it later. It's nothing urgent, or pressing. Just... a thought."

Alex looked up at him, her hazel eyes wide and pleading. She'd never lie to Mike when pressed but she really didn't want to share her realization about things that would have to happen before Mike revealed who - and what - he was.

The worry remained plain on his face for a long moment before he replied with a small nod, "You don't have to worry about that Alex." he assured her quietly, "But if you want to wait that's fine." he added with a smile.

He looked out over the splendid vista of rolling fields giving her a comforting squeeze, "I think the press conference would seem," he sighed searching for the words, "contrived? at this point." he finally murmured. He held her in silence for a moment before he spoke again, "We could explain it as protecting my family." he suggested with uncertainty. He was more than willing to suffer the slings and arrows of public opinion but was not at all confident in putting his family under such strain.