Shall We Dance IC

angrydurf

It had already been a busy summer, Alien invasion, Marks dads disappearance, the near catastrophic visit to the centurions sanctum, not to even mention the fall out from junior prom. It had been well over a month since Mike had admitted his intentions to Erin and gotten her advice for his intended proposal. Luckily with Aeon and her public coming out Alex had been even more distracted and as far as he knew remained unaware.

After everything that had happened however he felt that he needed to do something more. A big fancy dinner and showy public proposal seemed too much still but he somehow knew something more was appropriate than Erins suggested fancy dinner in and private time. But Mike was not constrained so much as most boys his age. So his plan while elegantly simple had evolved to something beyond the norm as well.

So he waited in Alexs office in the AEON building having arrived several minutes before Alex to surprise her. It had taken some convincing to get her secretary to reschedule her appointments that day and he hoped she had been able to keep it secret but in the end knew the surprise was less important than the event itself. When Alex arrived her secretary beamed a mischievous smile, "You have a young man waiting for you ma'am." she said and indicated he was already in her office.

'Everything okay?' flashed across their bond before Alex even opened the door. She wasn't aware of any problems but that didn't mean that one hadn't cropped up. She opened the door and stepped in. Alex was dressed in yet another dove grey tailored suit, the only nod to her love of all things colorful were the deep jewel tones of her low heeled sandals, silk shirt and scarf. Her red hair was swept up into a neat bun, without any sign of sparkle clips. Alex was tired but her face lit up for him like it always did.

Mike stood dressed in a simple yet somewhat elegant outfit of fitted khaki slacks and sport coat over a tight blue cotton T shirt absently toying with the glasses he wore as 'disguise' when not being Phalanx. He smiled wide as she came in and answered out loud, "Not a thing." he replied and in a few longs strides crossed the floor to her. He smiled down to her with a glint in his eye making it all the more clear he had something more than a surprise visit planned, "I had them clear your schedule, we're gonna have a day off." he said quite pleased with himself.

"A day off?" Alex asked, crossing over to him. Her tone was teasing as she said the words like she'd never heard such a thing. "Whatever will we do with a whole day?"

The last came out a little breathlessly as Alex had a few ideas and briefly entertained the idea that Mike had started to buckle under her private campaign to escalate the physical side of the relationship. She floated up when she reached him to pluck the glasses from his hands and give him a kiss.

Mike returned the kiss and wrapped his arms around her. "Yes a day off. You deserve one and sure as heck aren't going to take one on your own." he teased in response. Holding her close still he whispered to her, "I made a few plans I think you'll like." The big youth gave her another squeeze and asked simply, "So ready to go?" that mischievous light still glinting in the corner of his eye.

Alex beamed at him and slid her arms up around his broad shoulders, entirely at peace with the hands that could bend steel encircling her slender waist. Alex had never been afraid of Mike and she never would be. She bumped his nose with hers playfully, and without even glancing over his shoulder telekinetically popped the window open. Her expression was curious, but the light touch of her thoughts brushed against his enough to get that whatever he had planned was supposed to be a surprise and she withdrew quickly even as her curiosity was peaked. Mike rarely tried to keep things from her for obvious reasons so this was quite unusual. She was happy to go along with it, however.

"Do I need to change?"

Mike grinned at her, "You look lovely." he said simply as he turned with her in his arms and drifted to the window. Just before he slipped out with her in his arms he hinted, "It's a just a short trip." he winked to her and tucked her head against his chest as he took to the air Freedom City vanishing bellow them as he sped out over the ocean to the east. 'I packed you a change just in case.' he thought to her as the glimmering waters of the Atlantic flashed by beneath them. 'We should be there in a just a few minutes.' he further hinted as the far shore of the sea came into view.

Although her telekinetics would protect her skin from the friction of such speed, Alex turned her face into the crook of her boyfriend's neck and tightened her arms against his neck. She nuzzled the skin along his jaw as her fingertips traced over the nape of his neck and into his short dark hair.

"We're going for real Chinese food in China?" Alex asked curiously, knowing just how much Mike ate, as she peeked down to watch the ground race under them in a streak that was too fast for the eye to track, "Or maybe homemade Italian pizza?"

'Getting warmer.' Mike hinted as the blue waters of the Mediterranean slid by beneath them to shortly be replaced by the golden and dun tones of the north Italian countryside. 'And here we are.' he thought to her as he brought them to a halt in the early afternoon shade of an ancient oak overlooking a small field and piquant little farmhouse. He lowered the petite red head to the ground where a blanket and basket was already laid out. "So is it like you hoped?" he asked with just a trace of nervousness in his tone.

"My... my farmhouse!" Alex took a step forward as her voice wavered with emotion. From the age of five, they'd both been confined to Freedom City and under wary official eye. Despite the physical restrictions, Alex's mind had ranged far and wide and she had meticulously journaled all the places in the wide world she'd wanted to see in person. Of course, she had shared them with Mike as she had shared every dream.

It had been a year since those restrictions had been lifted but, as tended to happen, life had been busy. She'd been needed doing other things. Saving the world. Homework. Daughter from the future.

Alex bent down to pull one of the wild flowers and ran it through her fingertips as if to make sure it was real and then she pivoted to throw her arms around Mike's neck, 'It's perfect."

Mike beamed down at her with a wide self satisfied smile. Scooping her up once more into his arms he pressed his lips to hers. 'I'm glad you like it.' He replied mentally and slowly lowered her and himself to the blanket breaking the kiss some what breathlessly as they came to rest on the soft ground, "I think its more beautiful than you described even." he said with a small smile, "I packed a light lunch and a few other things." he said with a gesture to the basket and leaned back against the tree pulling her to lean against him as they looked out over the peaceful pastoral landscape, "We can go explore some if you like the owner leases it for vacationers." He left unsaid that he had booked it for today to ensure their privacy.

Alex cuddled back against him resting her hands on his forearm gently after she'd reached up to pull the pins out of her hair and un wind the red coils from the now rather windblown bun. She kicked her shoes off and wiggled her toes, tilting her face up to the sun.

"So... what's the special occasion?" Alex asked shyly. She had an idea - the wrong idea, actually. "I'd like to explore... later."

Mike sighed contentedly and ran one hand along her side nervously, "Well we've been busy lately, haven't gotten much time to ourselves." he explained slowly. He made a few what he hoped were subtle adjustments to his posture and placed a quick kiss on the top of her head. "I was thinking we should take some time for us." he said with a shrug not wanting to rush into things. "So you hungry?" he inquired calmly with a quick nod to the basket, "Or can I get you a drink?"

Alex watched him for a moment with curious eyes then gave a little nod although she wasn't really that hungry. She didn't have Mike's appetite but maybe he was just nervous about starting things. It didn't really explain why he was being quite so secretive. Alex turned to the basket, pulling it closer with her thoughts. "Sure, what did you bring? I mean, for food and stuff of course."

"I had them pack a picnic lunch." he said with a gesture to the farmhouse, "And brought a few of your favorites from home." he explained as he flipped back the cloth covering the food.

Mike planted a quick kiss on her cheek and added in a whisper, "I just wanted everything to be as perfect as I could make it for what comes next for us." as he nuzzled her neck lightly.

"Oh, Mike..." His name whispered out in a soft sigh of contentment. Her slender fingers slipped up to his cheek, sliding over the skin in a featherlight caress. Alex twisted against him to allow him better access to the smooth column of her throat. "You really didn't have to go to all of this effort. Its perfect just because its you."

"You're worth the effort." he murmured as he kissed along her jaw to press another kiss to her lips turning her with care to face him. Mike pulled back ever so slightly looking up into her eyes with an eager smile as he pulled a small velvet box from his pocket bringing it up between them as he swallowed nervously and tried to find his voice, "Alex," he finally spoke as he flipped the box open with a practiced slip of his thumb, "Will you marry me?" he asked as the large diamond seated in a clustered rainbow of smaller precious stones glinted in the dappled sunlight the small golden band barely lending its rich luster to the setting. Mike kept his eyes however on Alex a nervous smile playing across his lips.

Alex made a soft noise of protest when he pulled back only to blink in confusion as he pulled up a little box. Whatever Alex had been expecting, this had not been on the list. Mike had the pleasure of seeing his super genius girlfriend entirely shocked. She raised trembling fingertips to her own lips, "Oh my God... Mike!"

Then she was flinging herself on his neck, making small choked sobs. Even their psychic link was of little help as her emotions bounced all over the place from shock and surprise to joy to overwhelmed with a bit of trepidation and then back around again.

Mike smiled wide as he wrapped his long arms around her in a deep hug. He ran his hands up and down her back gently and calmly, waiting for her to calm down form the initial shock though he was immensely pleased with himself for managing to truly surprise her. He leaned back against the tree and box still clutched in hand as he murmured small shushing noises to her. He slowly grew more nervous that it was too soon and soon was trying to calm himself as well as he fabricated worries of his own.

Mike smiled as he replied, "Of course." and carefully takes the ring between his fingers and slowly slides it onto the finger. His smile flashes with just a hint of nervousness, "So is that a yes?" he asks his voice betraying his fear that even at this point she might still say no. He looks to her questioningly as he waits for her answer.

• 2 months later...

"Silly! Of course it's yes. What else could it be," Alex told him, her voice shaking just a little. It likely seemed like forever to poor Mike. She made up for the pause by reaching out and cupping his face between her palms. "I love you."

Then Alex leaned in to press a tender kiss to his lips.

Mike wrapped long arms around her in a deep hug and returned the kiss with more fervor than he usually allowed himself. "I love you too Alex." he whispered as he held her close. The gap of seconds had seemed like months to him as he waited for confirmation that her answer was what anyone else knew to be obvious.

As he broke the embrace a cloud of concern crossed his features in a flash, "Its not to soon?" it was unclear if he was asking in general or if he had broken up her planned sequence of events in some fashion.

"It's not too soon." Alex confirmed, cuddling into his broad chest with a contented sigh as she spread her fingers out to admire the engagement band on her slender finger. She splayed her fingers out against the arm around her waist, admiring the sparkle in the sunlight before she looked back up at him, "If you're sure you wanna ask now, then of course it's not too soon. I've been waiting for you to ask for years. The disadvantage of my precocious nature."

She wasn't exaggerating, either. Alex had the mingled luxury and agony of knowing Mike was her soulmate since primary school.

Mike laughed lightly at the revelation though it wasn't really a surprise all things considered. "It seemed like the right time with," he sighed and gave a small shrug, "Everything."

He ran one broad hand down her back contentedly, "I think more than anything all we've done and been through has taught me that lifes too short to spend waiting." he said with new found self assurance.