Lights at his back, Stars in His Eyes (IC) (OPEN)

Mike winced as Mark did his trademark bubbly to melancholy 180 in a split second and offered a weak smile to John. "Uh yea Marks dad knew alot of the old heroes ..." He offers as explanation for his roommates dramatics. "He just retired Mark some well earned time on the shuffleboard and bingo circuit ya know?" he said hoping the equally quick return to happy go lucky mark would trigger soon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm Mark Lucas," Mark filled in, sure enough turning back to calm on a dime. "Jimmy Lucas' grandson, and of course Rick Lucas's son." John had heard of both men, of course, his education as part of the legacy community having meant Langston Albright had filled him in both on the late master of an omnipotent genie who'd fought alongside the Liberty League and his son, the sidekick and companion of the heroes of the 1960s and 1970s. Mark was a little young to be Rick's son, but people had kids later and later these days. "I'm so glad Mr. Albright is alive. We...recently had a tragedy in my family, so I've been really worried about all the old heroes. It's really nice to meet you, John."

"Very sudden," Mark agreed, and for just a second he looked perfectly, absolutely serious before saying, "Hey, are you done with all this paperwork yet? There's a whole lot to see here!" Sure enough, just as Mark spoke, the secretary presented John with a big pile of papers to sign that would get him out of the office for the day. Looking pleased with the situation, Mark said, "Hey, can you do that thing where you make big objects out of light? Because this one time, Mr. Albright made this Betty Grable that...uh, maybe I shouldn't tell that story. It was just for the war effort."

Turning back to the desk for a moment, to sign the paperwork, John nods, "Yeah, I can shape hard light, even if I don't have much in the way of fine control. At this point things like cages or walls are pretty much my limit. I'm working on it, though. Thinking I might look into art classes while I'm here, learn sculpting to help me form the images better." As he faces the Senior students again, he holds his hands slightly apart and declares, "Even with the limitations, it has it's uses... For one, I'm never without a ball if I get bored." So saying, he generates a sphere of solid white light in between his hands, just the right size for a soccer ball, but too smooth and lacking the familiar interlaced pentagons and hexagons of a regulation ball. "Have to be careful how I do it... otherwise, I could end up with a ball slightly harder than steel. That's one unpleasant surprise, as you might imagine."

"Only if you don't catch it," Erin pointed out with a chuckle. "Or if you try to hit it with your head, I guess. That would not be good. You mentioned earlier that you play sports, right? What kind of stuff do you play? There are some intramural teams here, you might be able to get on one if you don't end up being too busy with school and training and all that stuff. Not so much in the summer, but when the students come back."

Mike raised a brow impressed with the display, "That seems handy." he replied with a nod and a quick glance to make sure Mark was Ok. His room mate had been rather easy to push into depression when his family came up but he seemed to have a handle on it all now. These things take time. "Yea as long as your powers aren't too much of an advantage they have some programs available." he agreed.

As he lets the light-form dissolve into the air again, John laughs, "I'm actually mostly into soccer, though I'll play just about anything if other people are up for it." Retrieving his bag and his newly issued uniform, he continues, "And my powers aren't really any kind of benefit to playing the game that I can see... it's more the other way around, knowing how to put the ball right where I want it and at just the right speed has really helped me with my powers."

"We've got a pretty good soccer intramural thing going," said Mark equitably. "One of the exchange students here is actually a pro athlete in his native dimension, so he's talking about going pro here once he graduates. Of course, there's no gladiator league in this dimension, so he'll have to do soccer or something if he wants to go pro." He kept walking around the room, cheerfully narrating as everyone headed outside. "Hey, can you fly too? Because that's pretty cool. I can't fly," he admitted, "but I know people who can."

"Yeah, I can fly. Not sure how fast, but it's way better than walking. I did nearly have problems the first time I went out, though. Turns out that just because I can pull off all the swoops and banks I want doesn't mean my stomach can..." He glances around again, still absorbing everything as he adjusts to new circumstances, "So, if it's not rude to ask, what's your power, Mark? Super-speed?"

Mike grinned down at the new boy, "Soccer's a pretty good game, I don't have to coordination myself." he said thinking, 'not to mention the game ends when the ball ends up in low earth orbit.' He shrugged and and nodded at the first flight misadventure, "That could be troublesome I suppose, I take it you got over that though." He joked easily and glance to Mark to explain exactly what he did as at this point 'He's Lucky' didn't really cut it.

"Mark's a probability controller," Erin explained, somewhat ruefully. "His powers let him manipulate the way anything with an element of chance to it is going to turn out. Which comes in very handy in a fight, believe me. It's also why he just happened to be flying through the air right where Mike and I were nearby and able to catch him before he hurt himself. It's kind of weird, but you get used to it." Erin could understand, more or less, that part of Mark's powers. The developing part, the black-dots power, was one she wasn't quite sure she understood or wanted to understand.

"That's right," said Mark cheerfully. "First person with powers in the family. Or who knew about it, anyway." He didn't look at Erin when he said that. Sure, Mike might _know_ that wasn't exactly true, but he hadn't been there when it all happened. "They think it came from years of my granddad and dad getting into all those crazy adventures in the 40s and 60s. So I get to be a superhero just like them, but with costumes! Do you like this one? I made it myself."

John looked the other boy up and down for a moment, and replied, "Pretty neat. I like the goggle look, and the colors... blend well together. I kinda inherited my costume with the powers, myself, and haven't figured out anyway to reshape it yet. Word of advice if you guys are looking for new outfits, rigid full-face masks are cool looking, but they're a pain to wear for long periods."

Huh. Probabilty control. That's... that's kind of terrifying, if you think about it too much. How powerful is it? I mean, for all I know, maybe the whole reason I was born sixteen years ago was to make sure that at this point in time I'd be here, talking to Mike and Erin, so that she'd be close enough to catch him and Mike would be here if she missed... Man, I hope I'm overthinking things again...

Mike chuckled at the latest revision of marks costume as it was pretty much from his perspective a constant work in progress. Then again it given what it went through it wasn't surprising that it had to be remade routinely. He nodded to John, "Yea I've never been a fan of masks myself." he explained with a shrug, "Everyone keeps saying it goes with the the territory though." he added with a chuckle as he looked to see if he could make out where John was being placed.

In the hallway outside the administration offices, a tall young man strode unhurriedly toward the group. As pale and dark haired as John was tanned and blond, Trevor Hunter wore slightly rumpled outfit of dark brown and blue, a large cup of coffee in one hand and a beaten black fedora pulled down over his forehead. As he tipped his head backward to take a long pull on the steaming beverage, the other students were able to see that Trevor had also donned a pair of sunglasses with broad, oval lenses. His free hand touching his left temple in concert with the briefest of winces, he nodded in greeting as he moved next to Erin, perhaps just slightly too close to be entirely inconspicuous. "New?" he asked in a soft, laconic voice.

Erin gave Trevor a quick smile, even as she looked a little concerned. "This is John's first day, we were showing him around the place and helping him find his room. She resisted the urge to ask Trevor if he was feeling okay, figuring he'd probably deny anything in front of a bunch of people. Guys were kind of like that. He looked a little rugged, though. "You want to come along?"

Trevor gave Mike a vague salute with his coffee cup and returned Erin's brief smile. It wasn't much, but given the usual level of expressiveness either of them demonstrated, it remained significant. "Trevor," he introduced himself in reply to John, accepting the tanned student's hand. Trevor considered the smattering of reports he'd picked up about a new light controlling hero. "Connected to the original?"

Huh. Must be one of those people who just can't get out a complete sentence before their morning coffee. I should probably tone it down a little.

Speaking a little more softly than he had been before, John answered the question, "Yeah. Mister Albright passed the powers on to me, taught me how to use them, gave me a quick history lesson, and told me to enroll here."

"He's the second Beacon!" Mark exclaimed. "Isn't that great? It's like we've got all the old heroes coming together at Claremont again." He hmmed. "All right, here's a crazy idea. What if we all got together and made a new Liberty League? Beacon II, M-" He blinked. "Oh, uh, sorry, Trevor. Beacon, Mark Lucas, and some other hero with a connection to the heroes of World War II!" He gave Trevor a big, perfectly sincere wink.

Trevor gaze Mark a flat look, twin wisps of inky black smoke rising from behind his sunglasses. Pushing them up briefly to rub his eyes, the lanky youth sighed quietly before replacing them and turning to John. "I'm the second Midnight. Don't tell anyone." His tone was dry but carried a subtle weight behind it, and was as much directed at the improbably dressed Lucas as the new student. With that crisis circumvented, Trevor tilted his head toward the dormitories. "Liking it so far?"

The new Midnight? No wonder he's not a morning person. I hope we'll be friends, though. From what Mister Albright told me, as creepy as the original could be, he was a great champion of justice and always a good person.

"I'm loving it, honestly. Still a little nervous, a bit over-thinky, and trying not to look like an idiot in front of everybody, but every seems so nice, and the campus itself is amazing. I can't wait to see what the classrooms and gym are like." He glances out the window briefly as he answers Trevor's question, then turns back to the pale teen, "If you don't mind my asking, though, are your eyes okay? I mean, I don't mean to be rude if that's just a natural mutation, but if you're in pain, my Light might be able to ease it a bit."

"Hmm?" Oddly distracted, it took Trevor a moment to realize what John was talking about, recalling that the new student's namesake had boasted healing powers amongst his diverse repertoire. "The mist? It's fine; my tear ducts haven't worked for anything but that for years." Discovering that particular facet of his mutation had come at a particularly poor time in his adolescence, but the stoic youth had long since come to accept his nonstandard biology. Granted, that didn't explain why everything seemed so damnably bright as of late, but that hardly seemed like a problem John's Light would alleviate.