A New Student at Master Lee's

Heridfel

LiamHS.jpg

"Very good," chirps Liam, "much better. Ya see what happened there? Ya controlled yer breathin' and focused, and yer attack was much more accurate and . . . honest, I guess ya can say. Very good."

Liam relaxes and bids Kevin to do the same. "I gotta admit, I'm not too up on qi or chi or mojo or whatever, but I know enough ta see ya got loads of potential. Practice more like this and ya'll reach yer goal."

"My advice? Meditate. Learn ta still yer mind and find yer center, then remember what ya did here today ta channel that energy properly."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sen follows Master Lee into the room as a boy launches his attack. His eyebrow arcs at the clumsy attack. Surely this is not the student... he continues watching as the older man easily avoids the youth's attack. he watched the man's movments. Every nuance of his body language spoke of incredible control and vitality. He carried himself like a coiled rope as if he would spring forth at any moment. This must be the student he spoke off. Sen thought. But defeating young students is nothing like facing a demon.

Sen follows Master Lee into the room as a boy launches his attack. His eyebrow arcs at the clumsy attack. Surely this is not the student... he continues watching as the older man easily avoids the youth's attack. he watched the man's movments. Every nuance of his body language spoke of incredible control and vitality. He carried himself like a coiled rope as if he would spring forth at any moment. This must be the student he spoke off. Sen thought. But defeating young students is nothing like facing a demon.

Master Lee nods as he sees Liam helping Kevin, rather than a full sparring match.

"Stop."

When the two of them have ceased their movements and are looking towards him, he speaks again.

"Your training will have to wait, Kevin. Liam is needed for something else," says Master Lee. Kevin breathes out, nodding slowly as he comes down from the fight.

"Thank you, Master Lee," Kevin says. "I'll be at class tomorrow, and I promise to try harder."

Master Lee says, "I expect nothing less." Kevin walks out of the dojang, trying to figure out whether that's a good or a bad thing. Once he's gone, Master Lee turns to Nightrival.

"Liam, this is Kiyoshi Sen. You will take him to 640 Ditko Street, and the two of you will meet Adrian Eldrich, to ask his aid in seeking Sen's father. Sen... needs a witness, to his trustworthiness. You will tell him that I vouch for him," Master Lee says in a voice that says he will brook no dissension.

Master Lee nods as he sees Liam helping Kevin, rather than a full sparring match.

"Stop."

When the two of them have ceased their movements and are looking towards him, he speaks again.

"Your training will have to wait, Kevin. Liam is needed for something else," says Master Lee. Kevin breathes out, nodding slowly as he comes down from the fight.

"Thank you, Master Lee," Kevin says. "I'll be at class tomorrow, and I promise to try harder."

Master Lee says, "I expect nothing less." Kevin walks out of the dojang, trying to figure out whether that's a good or a bad thing. Once he's gone, Master Lee turns to Nightrival.

"Liam, this is Kiyoshi Sen. You will take him to 640 Ditko Street, and the two of you will meet Adrian Eldrich, to ask his aid in seeking Sen's father. Sen... needs a witness, to his trustworthiness. You will tell him that I vouch for him," Master Lee says in a voice that says he will brook no dissension.

"Stop."

LiamHS.jpg

Liam curtly nods and his eyes catch a glimpse of a sword's hilt dangling from Sen's waist. He refrains from commenting; the fact that Master Lee would allow someone to carry an outside weapon speaks volumes. An unearthly and powerful aura crackles around the swordsman, filling Liam with a terrifying chill that clings to his bones. Sen's calm repose immediately tells Liam this man is very capable with a katana. Liam brushes off his discomfort.

"Sure," he replies to Master Lee. Liam bows to Sen. "Good ta meet ya."

Suddenly, Liam shoots Master Lee a confused look. "Um, I take it Sen is aware of the . . . er . . . members only portion of your school?"

LiamHS.jpg

Liam curtly nods and his eyes catch a glimpse of a sword's hilt dangling from Sen's waist. He refrains from commenting; the fact that Master Lee would allow someone to carry an outside weapon speaks volumes. An unearthly and powerful aura crackles around the swordsman, filling Liam with a terrifying chill that clings to his bones. Sen's calm repose immediately tells Liam this man is very capable with a katana. Liam brushes off his discomfort.

Suddenly, Liam shoots Master Lee a confused look. "Um, I take it Sen is aware of the . . . er . . . members only portion of your school?"

LiamHS.jpg

Master Lee shakes his head.

"This is his first time to Freedom City, and the first time that we have met since he was a child. I do not know what his father has told him of me, but I do not think he has heard anything of this school. Perhaps the two of you can discuss it as you go," he says. It's a polite dismissal, as such things go, but it's clearly an invitation for the two of them to get moving.

"This is his first time to Freedom City, and the first time that we have met since he was a child. I do not know what his father has told him of me, but I do not think he has heard anything of this school. Perhaps the two of you can discuss it as you go," he says. It's a polite dismissal, as such things go, but it's clearly an invitation for the two of them to get moving.

LiamHS.jpg

This is his first time to Freedom City, and the first time that we have met since he was a child. I do not know what his father has told him of me, but I do not think he has heard anything of this school. Perhaps the two of you can discuss it as you go," he says.

Liam sighs, knowing that further questioning the ancient sifu would be an impossible task. If Lee thinks I can trust 'em, then I'll hafta take his word for it. I just hope he knows what he's doin'.

"I understand, Master Lee. I'll update 'em as we go."

He collects his belongings and stashes them in his duffel bag. He slips on a gray hooded sweatshirt, zips up the bag and slings it over his shoulder.

"This is going to, um, sound kinda strange," he relates to Sen, "but could ya meet me on the roof in ten minutes?"

LiamHS.jpg

This is his first time to Freedom City, and the first time that we have met since he was a child. I do not know what his father has told him of me, but I do not think he has heard anything of this school. Perhaps the two of you can discuss it as you go," he says.

Liam sighs, knowing that further questioning the ancient sifu would be an impossible task. If Lee thinks I can trust 'em, then I'll hafta take his word for it. I just hope he knows what he's doin'.

He collects his belongings and stashes them in his duffel bag. He slips on a gray hooded sweatshirt, zips up the bag and slings it over his shoulder.

"This is going to, um, sound kinda strange," he relates to Sen, "but could ya meet me on the roof in ten minutes?"

LiamHS.jpg

Sen cocks his had at Liam's strange request, but his surprise is only momentary.

"Of course Liam-San." He turns to Master Lee, and bows deeply. "Thank you very much Lee-Sama, for your help. I only hope that this Adrian Eldricht can be of further assistance." He turns back to Liam.

"I shall wait at the front door then meet you on the roof."

Sen cocks his had at Liam's strange request, but his surprise is only momentary.

"Of course Liam-San." He turns to Master Lee, and bows deeply. "Thank you very much Lee-Sama, for your help. I only hope that this Adrian Eldricht can be of further assistance." He turns back to Liam.

When the two men make their way out of the dojang, Master Lee turns and walks back to his table where the teapot sits. He opens the pot and looks down at the tea leaves that remain at the bottom.

"Old friend, I hope that you are safe. If anyone knows how to find you, it will be Adrian Eldrich," he says to the air. Despite his words, he still seems somewhat troubled. Reaching into a cabinet, he pulls out 50 yarrow sticks, and begins casting the I Ching for his answers.

When the two men make their way out of the dojang, Master Lee turns and walks back to his table where the teapot sits. He opens the pot and looks down at the tea leaves that remain at the bottom.

"Old friend, I hope that you are safe. If anyone knows how to find you, it will be Adrian Eldrich," he says to the air. Despite his words, he still seems somewhat troubled. Reaching into a cabinet, he pulls out 50 yarrow sticks, and begins casting the I Ching for his answers.

LiamHS.jpg

Liam takes his leave of Master Lee and Sen, bowing politely to them both. He exits the room and walks down the flight of stairs. Casually walking past the rows of students practicing in the main room of the kwoon, he ignores their shouts as they pump the air with their fists and feet during one of their many drills. He turns down a hallway and out the backdoor, following the stairs on the other side that leads to the alley.

NightrivalHS.jpg

After pulling on his costume, Nightrival once again places his clothes into the duffel bag and hides it in the bottom of a trash can. He examines the alley to make sure no one is in sight, then leaps up nine feet, pushes himself off the wall to another one facing opposite the school, then rebounds off that wall to land safely on the kwoon's roof.

I'm glad I bumped inta those parkour guys back in Paris, he muses, makes gettin' around easier.

Nightrival examines the roof's features: some litter, two chimneys and a door leading back down to the kwoon. The wind whispers in his ears, and he gazes over his shoulder and sees the rest of Hanover stretching out to Wading River, and the towering buildings in Midtown and City Center shadowing over all of North Freedom, even though they lie in the distance. Beyond that, Nightrival cannot see the Southside. The tenements and brownstones concealed behind downtown distends his heart with scathing regret. He swore an oath to himself to protect his old neighbourhood, yet he feels increasingly distant from it.

I've been spendin' too much time away, solvin' problems elsewhere. I need ta focus. He suddenly remembers his rendez-vous. Sen'll be here soon. I better be scarce so's I can watch 'em for a bit.

Nightrival ducks behind the chimneys and waits.

LiamHS.jpg

Liam takes his leave of Master Lee and Sen, bowing politely to them both. He exits the room and walks down the flight of stairs. Casually walking past the rows of students practicing in the main room of the kwoon, he ignores their shouts as they pump the air with their fists and feet during one of their many drills. He turns down a hallway and out the backdoor, following the stairs on the other side that leads to the alley.

NightrivalHS.jpg

After pulling on his costume, Nightrival once again places his clothes into the duffel bag and hides it in the bottom of a trash can. He examines the alley to make sure no one is in sight, then leaps up nine feet, pushes himself off the wall to another one facing opposite the school, then rebounds off that wall to land safely on the kwoon's roof.

I'm glad I bumped inta those parkour guys back in Paris, he muses, makes gettin' around easier.

Nightrival examines the roof's features: some litter, two chimneys and a door leading back down to the kwoon. The wind whispers in his ears, and he gazes over his shoulder and sees the rest of Hanover stretching out to Wading River, and the towering buildings in Midtown and City Center shadowing over all of North Freedom, even though they lie in the distance. Beyond that, Nightrival cannot see the Southside. The tenements and brownstones concealed behind downtown distends his heart with scathing regret. He swore an oath to himself to protect his old neighbourhood, yet he feels increasingly distant from it.

I've been spendin' too much time away, solvin' problems elsewhere. I need ta focus. He suddenly remembers his rendez-vous. Sen'll be here soon. I better be scarce so's I can watch 'em for a bit.

LiamHS.jpg

NightrivalHS.jpg