Slow Night

Heritage

Velocity shifted for just a moment as Teke appeared beside her, until she remembered seeing him at the Freedom League Christmas Party. She could not remember his name, but was glad to have some help.

She then turned back towards the two villains and the girl that was with them.

"I don't suppose you would take a rain check on that?"

"Hmm, considering you two have yet to turn yourselves in, I don’t think that’s going to happen. " She said with a smirk.

"I mean, if we get in a fight here, we'll wake up these nice people. They probably have work tomorrow. Do you really want that on your conscience? "

She then smiled. "See, if you surrender, there won’t be a fight, and no one gets woken up."

"Um, hi there! Not that you have any reason to believe me, but I'm actually not a criminal, and my new buddy Nano here barely qualifies; I can't speak for Icarus, to be honest, I don't know him all too well. The name's Grimalkin, and I'm all about helping people."

Velocity regarded the girl for a brief second, then replied. "Thanks, I actually did not know their names, but now I do"

She then continued. "I really have no reason to suspect you of anything, and did not see you at the museum. But as for your new friend, I’m afraid to say he does qualify, he broke into the Hunter Museum, helped the other one here steal ancient artifacts, and even shot up the entry way of the museum when another heroine and I tried to stop them."

"So what’s it going to be?" She asked, focusing back on the two villains.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velocity shifted for just a moment as Teke appeared beside her, until she remembered seeing him at the Freedom League Christmas Party. She could not remember his name, but was glad to have some help.

"Hmm, considering you two have yet to turn yourselves in, I don’t think that’s going to happen. " She said with a smirk.

"I mean, if we get in a fight here, we'll wake up these nice people. They probably have work tomorrow. Do you really want that on your conscience? "

She then smiled. "See, if you surrender, there won’t be a fight, and no one gets woken up."

"Um, hi there! Not that you have any reason to believe me, but I'm actually not a criminal, and my new buddy Nano here barely qualifies; I can't speak for Icarus, to be honest, I don't know him all too well. The name's Grimalkin, and I'm all about helping people."

Velocity regarded the girl for a brief second, then replied. "Thanks, I actually did not know their names, but now I do"

She then continued. "I really have no reason to suspect you of anything, and did not see you at the museum. But as for your new friend, I’m afraid to say he does qualify, he broke into the Hunter Museum, helped the other one here steal ancient artifacts, and even shot up the entry way of the museum when another heroine and I tried to stop them."

Nanowire's shoulders drooped. There was no way they were getting out of this without a fight. Velocity had seen to that. He could almost respect the girl's obstinance if it wasn't currently directed towards putting him behind bars for better part of a decade. Grimalkin had done an admirable job trying to dissuade Velocity as well. His already-stellar opinion of Grim nudged up into the slot just below "Goddess" in his eyes. But ultimately, this wasn't going to be solved by words. Not that he could blame Velocity, either. If somebody had pulled what I did on me, I'd be pretty ticked too.

"Stay back, alright?" he said to Grim, and then, "I'm sorry this had to happen."

All of a sudden, Nanowire burst into action. Lifting up off the ground atop a bed of gravitic energy, he surged forward at better than a hundred miles an hour. If he positioned his strike right, he might just be able to knock Velocity down without harming her. From there, he'd likely have to hold onto her until she decided to calm down, but one thing at a time. Unfortunately for him, he didn't know what her emo-haired companion could do any more than he knew that Teke had placed an invisible wall in his path.

With a terrific crash, Nanowire struck the barrier and rebounded like a crazily-thrown rubber ball. With his forward momentum halted so suddenly, Nanowire had no control as he flew back diagonally into the curb, crushing the front end of an unlucky Volkswagen sedan with far too many air fresheners draped around the rear view mirror. It took a few seconds for his vision to stop spinning. "What the hell was that?" he said, shaking his head to clear out the cobwebs.

Nanowire's shoulders drooped. There was no way they were getting out of this without a fight. Velocity had seen to that. He could almost respect the girl's obstinance if it wasn't currently directed towards putting him behind bars for better part of a decade. Grimalkin had done an admirable job trying to dissuade Velocity as well. His already-stellar opinion of Grim nudged up into the slot just below "Goddess" in his eyes. But ultimately, this wasn't going to be solved by words. Not that he could blame Velocity, either. If somebody had pulled what I did on me, I'd be pretty ticked too.

"Stay back, alright?" he said to Grim, and then, "I'm sorry this had to happen."

All of a sudden, Nanowire burst into action. Lifting up off the ground atop a bed of gravitic energy, he surged forward at better than a hundred miles an hour. If he positioned his strike right, he might just be able to knock Velocity down without harming her. From there, he'd likely have to hold onto her until she decided to calm down, but one thing at a time. Unfortunately for him, he didn't know what her emo-haired companion could do any more than he knew that Teke had placed an invisible wall in his path.

With a terrific crash, Nanowire struck the barrier and rebounded like a crazily-thrown rubber ball. With his forward momentum halted so suddenly, Nanowire had no control as he flew back diagonally into the curb, crushing the front end of an unlucky Volkswagen sedan with far too many air fresheners draped around the rear view mirror. It took a few seconds for his vision to stop spinning. "What the hell was that?" he said, shaking his head to clear out the cobwebs.

"Thanks, I actually did not know their names, but now I do"

God, she was such an idiot! Blabbing out there names like that - wait. She has to face the fact that as much as she likes Nano, he is still a criminal; it hurts to hear what he's done, but she has to remember that even with good intentions, bad guys tend to get good people hurt...

"Stay back, alright?" he said to Grim, and then, "I'm sorry this had to happen.".

Grim rolls her eyes when Nano feels the need to play the 'guy card'.

"Y'know, I actually can take care of myself from time to time; just because I'm not made of steel doesn't mean I can't-"

"What the hell was that?" he said, shaking his head to clear out the cobwebs.

In a flash, all thoughts of criminal behaviour and innocent bystanders go out the window, and Grim is on her knees, cradling Nano's head.

"Ohmigod, are you all right?"

She looks up sharply at floating boy, presumably the one who applied the smackdown.

"Hey, dark and broody loner guy! Why don't you tell someone when you're going to put up your stupid mime wall? Can you take him to jail with a broken neck?"

God, she was such an idiot! Blabbing out there names like that - wait. She has to face the fact that as much as she likes Nano, he is still a criminal; it hurts to hear what he's done, but she has to remember that even with good intentions, bad guys tend to get good people hurt...

"Stay back, alright?" he said to Grim, and then, "I'm sorry this had to happen.".

"Y'know, I actually can take care of myself from time to time; just because I'm not made of steel doesn't mean I can't-"

In a flash, all thoughts of criminal behaviour and innocent bystanders go out the window, and Grim is on her knees, cradling Nano's head.

She looks up sharply at floating boy, presumably the one who applied the smackdown.

"Hey, dark and broody loner guy! Why don't you tell someone when you're going to put up your stupid mime wall? Can you take him to jail with a broken neck?"

Icarus knows when the smart move is to flee the scene. Something weird is going on. His suit's damaged, and it looks like something happened to Nanowire when he tried to get out. It's time for him to show Nanowire that his new duds aren't just a fancy paint job.

He holds up his hand, and a 10-foot-high portal opens in front of him. It's glowing with the same gray energy that his other powers seem to use, and it's not clear what lies on the other side.

"Come on!" he yells as he steps through it.

While Icarus doesn't notice it, as quickly as he went through, his portal isn't just sitting there. As the portal's size shrinks, its pull seems to grow. It starts with random street litter being pulled through. By the time it's seven feet high, it's strong enough to lift Nanowire and Grimalkin off the ground, and to pull Teke and Velocity towards it. At five feet high, it is starting to pull cars from over a block away, and larger things are rushing towards the portal too, even if they look too large to fit through it at any angle.

Icarus knows when the smart move is to flee the scene. Something weird is going on. His suit's damaged, and it looks like something happened to Nanowire when he tried to get out. It's time for him to show Nanowire that his new duds aren't just a fancy paint job.

He holds up his hand, and a 10-foot-high portal opens in front of him. It's glowing with the same gray energy that his other powers seem to use, and it's not clear what lies on the other side.

While Icarus doesn't notice it, as quickly as he went through, his portal isn't just sitting there. As the portal's size shrinks, its pull seems to grow. It starts with random street litter being pulled through. By the time it's seven feet high, it's strong enough to lift Nanowire and Grimalkin off the ground, and to pull Teke and Velocity towards it. At five feet high, it is starting to pull cars from over a block away, and larger things are rushing towards the portal too, even if they look too large to fit through it at any angle.

Nothing in her short life has prepared Lynn for this sort of thing; having no understanding of Icarus' powers, she has no idea what is going on, and the powerful nature of the portal's suction seems most unnatural. As she feels herself and Nano rising into the air, she clings to him desperately, more because he is the nearest large object than any sort of feelings she might have for or about him; her voice takes on a manic edge, and she sounds very young and very frightened.

"Oh god! Oh god! Oh god! Oh gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-!"

Nothing in her short life has prepared Lynn for this sort of thing; having no understanding of Icarus' powers, she has no idea what is going on, and the powerful nature of the portal's suction seems most unnatural. As she feels herself and Nano rising into the air, she clings to him desperately, more because he is the nearest large object than any sort of feelings she might have for or about him; her voice takes on a manic edge, and she sounds very young and very frightened.

Nanowire almost groaned, but not from the impact of running into an invisible wall at better than a hundred miles an hour. That barely registered past the initial stunning blow. But getting emasculated like that in front of the heroes and Icarus? Now all the other villains are going to make fun of me, he thought wryly.

Icarus had the right idea, moving out through his portal like that. Getting away from the situation should have been the first thing on Nanowire's mind, but even in the midst of the chaos, he still felt the need to somehow explain himself.

But then the chaos became so much worse.

The rift in space started pulling everything toward it, as if reality had suddenly experienced explosive decompression. He barely had time to fully realize what was going on when Grimalkin started clawing at him in a desperate attempt to stay out of the rending suction. Without hesitating, he arrested his momentum towards the portal and grabed onto Grim, trying to pull her in closer. Her eyes were wide, filled with fear. Just seeing it made something inside him, something he thought long since thought dead, wake up again. "Hold on!" he called over the screech of the wind.

And to her credit, she did. Nanowire knew himself to be capable of holding against the gale force winds. He could fly a quarter of a million miles an hour without trying; knock over buildings with ease; ward off all but the strongest blows. But Grim had no such protection. In horror, he realized that her arms wouldn't be able to take his pull for very much longer. For a spilt second, he hesitated, unsure of what to do.

In that second, both were drawn in, swallowed whole by the portal that was meant to be an escape.

Nanowire almost groaned, but not from the impact of running into an invisible wall at better than a hundred miles an hour. That barely registered past the initial stunning blow. But getting emasculated like that in front of the heroes and Icarus? Now all the other villains are going to make fun of me, he thought wryly.

Icarus had the right idea, moving out through his portal like that. Getting away from the situation should have been the first thing on Nanowire's mind, but even in the midst of the chaos, he still felt the need to somehow explain himself.

The rift in space started pulling everything toward it, as if reality had suddenly experienced explosive decompression. He barely had time to fully realize what was going on when Grimalkin started clawing at him in a desperate attempt to stay out of the rending suction. Without hesitating, he arrested his momentum towards the portal and grabed onto Grim, trying to pull her in closer. Her eyes were wide, filled with fear. Just seeing it made something inside him, something he thought long since thought dead, wake up again. "Hold on!" he called over the screech of the wind.

And to her credit, she did. Nanowire knew himself to be capable of holding against the gale force winds. He could fly a quarter of a million miles an hour without trying; knock over buildings with ease; ward off all but the strongest blows. But Grim had no such protection. In horror, he realized that her arms wouldn't be able to take his pull for very much longer. For a spilt second, he hesitated, unsure of what to do.

In that second, both were drawn in, swallowed whole by the portal that was meant to be an escape.

The suction emanated through his mental barrier as if it wasn't even there. Pulled at his hair and his clothes...ripping him free from the ground. He splattered on the psionic wall, splayed out like a road-runner silhouette. The waves and waves of the time-spatial anomaly's energy pulsing over him...drawing him in. He could see Velocity out of the corner of his eyes. He couldn't make out if she was splayed out or fighting it or what....

The stress of having to maintain the mental barrier, as well as being smashed against it was too much to bare.

Seth passed out. And then he didn't know what happened to him.

The suction emanated through his mental barrier as if it wasn't even there. Pulled at his hair and his clothes...ripping him free from the ground. He splattered on the psionic wall, splayed out like a road-runner silhouette. The waves and waves of the time-spatial anomaly's energy pulsing over him...drawing him in. He could see Velocity out of the corner of his eyes. He couldn't make out if she was splayed out or fighting it or what....

The stress of having to maintain the mental barrier, as well as being smashed against it was too much to bare.

Velocity had been a bit surprised when one of the villains had flow towards her, but slammed into something invisible. She had to figure it was the work of the guy she had seen singing at the Freedom City Christmas Party. But then the other villain acted, the one the girl had called Icarus, which made little sense, as she had learned after the museum heist that his name was Heavy, a villain with a long track record.

He opened some sort of portal in the air, which must have been how they escaped from the museum and stepped through. “Dang it!†She muttered. “We need to get to them!†She said to the other hero, not wanting the villains to get away, yet again.

But, then, she started to feel herself being pulled towards the portal, as Nano and the girl were being pulled towards it along with anything that was not nailed down. She started to try to move away, but found herself being pulled back even as she started way. She was flung towards the portal just after Teke, who had hit his barrier, and passed out. Once the barrier dropped, he went through, and Velocity was pulled along behind not long after.

Velocity had been a bit surprised when one of the villains had flow towards her, but slammed into something invisible. She had to figure it was the work of the guy she had seen singing at the Freedom City Christmas Party. But then the other villain acted, the one the girl had called Icarus, which made little sense, as she had learned after the museum heist that his name was Heavy, a villain with a long track record.

He opened some sort of portal in the air, which must have been how they escaped from the museum and stepped through. “Dang it!†She muttered. “We need to get to them!†She said to the other hero, not wanting the villains to get away, yet again.

But, then, she started to feel herself being pulled towards the portal, as Nano and the girl were being pulled towards it along with anything that was not nailed down. She started to try to move away, but found herself being pulled back even as she started way. She was flung towards the portal just after Teke, who had hit his barrier, and passed out. Once the barrier dropped, he went through, and Velocity was pulled along behind not long after.