Slow Night

Heritage

"Don't worry, we don't hurt people for a living or anything," he said, then played it back to himself in his head. "Let me rephrase that - we don't hurt people. Period. Well, at least I don't. I can't speak for Heavy here."

"Grimalkin... Grimalkin..." Nanowire rumbled, seemingly thinking about something. "Hey wait, I know that name! From Macbeth, right? The witch's cat." he looked her over then nodded approvingly. "Pretty apropos. So, are you a witch or something? Maybe a shapechanger?"

Grim claps her hands, points at Nanowire with both hands and gives him the thumbs up.

"Yes! See, no one gets that!"

She begins to pace about the street, gesturing and becoming more animated as her New Jersey accent becomes more pronounced.

"Here I am, trying to be original and avoid possible copyright issues, and everyone's like, 'Your name is Gray Manikin?'. Pisses me off no end! I mean, I know I'm not the only one who read that play in sophomore English, and it's not like I even got an 'A' in that class."

The young super pauses to catch her breath and runs a hand through her hair as she grins sheepishly.

"Sorry, clearly a sore spot for me. Um, am I a witch? I'm not sure, though I think my powers might be magic-based; my origin story, which you do not get to hear because you're a 'bad guy', was kind of vague and confusing. I don't mind talking about my powers, though, because I kinda need to work on my rep, and if say you're in a bar, talking amongst your fellow bad guys and my name and abilities happen to come up in casual conversation, they might learn to fear me."

She stops and looks sharply at Nanowire, as though expecting him to be smiling somewhere behind his skull face.

"What, it could happen!"

She holds up her hands and shakes her head.

"Okay, fine - yes, I am a shapechanger, and I use my abilities to move undetected through the criminal underworld, protecting the people the law doesn't seem to care about; I'm thinking of printing up cards that say that. Like the guy I was trying to find before the two of you showed up? That sicko cut up the face a girl I'm trying to get out of 'the life', and when I find him-"

She flicks out her hand and each finger sprouts a wicked claw; when she speaks, her voice has lost all of her usual humor.

"I plan to do unto others."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't worry, we don't hurt people for a living or anything," he said, then played it back to himself in his head. "Let me rephrase that - we don't hurt people. Period. Well, at least I don't. I can't speak for Heavy here."

"Grimalkin... Grimalkin..." Nanowire rumbled, seemingly thinking about something. "Hey wait, I know that name! From Macbeth, right? The witch's cat." he looked her over then nodded approvingly. "Pretty apropos. So, are you a witch or something? Maybe a shapechanger?"

Grim claps her hands, points at Nanowire with both hands and gives him the thumbs up.

"Yes! See, no one gets that!"

She begins to pace about the street, gesturing and becoming more animated as her New Jersey accent becomes more pronounced.

"Here I am, trying to be original and avoid possible copyright issues, and everyone's like, 'Your name is Gray Manikin?'. Pisses me off no end! I mean, I know I'm not the only one who read that play in sophomore English, and it's not like I even got an 'A' in that class."

The young super pauses to catch her breath and runs a hand through her hair as she grins sheepishly.

"Sorry, clearly a sore spot for me. Um, am I a witch? I'm not sure, though I think my powers might be magic-based; my origin story, which you do not get to hear because you're a 'bad guy', was kind of vague and confusing. I don't mind talking about my powers, though, because I kinda need to work on my rep, and if say you're in a bar, talking amongst your fellow bad guys and my name and abilities happen to come up in casual conversation, they might learn to fear me."

She stops and looks sharply at Nanowire, as though expecting him to be smiling somewhere behind his skull face.

"What, it could happen!"

"Okay, fine - yes, I am a shapechanger, and I use my abilities to move undetected through the criminal underworld, protecting the people the law doesn't seem to care about; I'm thinking of printing up cards that say that. Like the guy I was trying to find before the two of you showed up? That sicko cut up the face a girl I'm trying to get out of 'the life', and when I find him-"

She flicks out her hand and each finger sprouts a wicked claw; when she speaks, her voice has lost all of her usual humor.

Funny, like he thought before. Nanowire was tempted to simply sit down and watch the little firecracker pontificate on the unfair nature of ill-read people. Back in high school, in fact, Renichi had been involved in a Macbeth production as part of the drama club. Badly mangled due to language differences, of course, but all the names had remained the same. It just went to show that bad acting, as well as many experiences, were universal.

"What, it could happen!"

This time, Nanowire couldn't hold back a mean case of the chuckles, and it was only through force of will that he managed to keep it from advancing into a full-on gut-bursting laughter. "Yeah, let me get right on that," he says between giggles. If nothing else, meeting Grimalkin had taught him not to judge a book by it's cover. In different circumstances... No, better not to consider that, he thought, bringing himself down a bit. Things are the way they are. After I'm cured, though...

That brought Nanowire out of his revily. He was all too familiar with hard luck stories. Living out on the street, if only for a few months, had taught him there were people out there with problems that went far beyond what he'd been through. "I understand," he said knowingly, nodding his head. He couldn't get into it all that much, not with Heavy standing there watching the two of them, but he felt as though Grimalkin and him had a lot more in common than either of them would ever know.

"That's why I don't hurt people," Shrugging. "Well, that and I don't like to have that kind of guilt on my hands. Too much bad karma."

Funny, like he thought before. Nanowire was tempted to simply sit down and watch the little firecracker pontificate on the unfair nature of ill-read people. Back in high school, in fact, Renichi had been involved in a Macbeth production as part of the drama club. Badly mangled due to language differences, of course, but all the names had remained the same. It just went to show that bad acting, as well as many experiences, were universal.

"What, it could happen!"

This time, Nanowire couldn't hold back a mean case of the chuckles, and it was only through force of will that he managed to keep it from advancing into a full-on gut-bursting laughter. "Yeah, let me get right on that," he says between giggles. If nothing else, meeting Grimalkin had taught him not to judge a book by it's cover. In different circumstances... No, better not to consider that, he thought, bringing himself down a bit. Things are the way they are. After I'm cured, though...

That brought Nanowire out of his revily. He was all too familiar with hard luck stories. Living out on the street, if only for a few months, had taught him there were people out there with problems that went far beyond what he'd been through. "I understand," he said knowingly, nodding his head. He couldn't get into it all that much, not with Heavy standing there watching the two of them, but he felt as though Grimalkin and him had a lot more in common than either of them would ever know.

"That's why I don't hurt people," Shrugging. "Well, that and I don't like to have that kind of guilt on my hands. Too much bad karma."

"What, it could happen!"

Icarus was moving the whole time that the two of them were chatting, making it clear that he wasn't severely injured. Finally, his arms raise up and he's able to release his helm from his head.

"Blasted thing wouldn't come off. It looks like I still need to work on this; I used to be able to speak while it was on," Icarus says. While his appearance isn't any noteworthy to Grimalkin, Nanowire can notice immediately that his face has changed, like he's had plastic surgery. The effect is that he looks more like Daedalus in his ordinary appearance, even as his suit looks less like Daedalus's.

"If you saw me, then others probably did too. If you recognized me... I thought I changed it enough so that wouldn't happen. Blast! I knew I should have changed the helm. Velocity or Valkyrie might be on their way right now."

He gives Nanowire a piercing stare. "The name's not Heavy anymore, either. I go by Icarus now."

Icarus was moving the whole time that the two of them were chatting, making it clear that he wasn't severely injured. Finally, his arms raise up and he's able to release his helm from his head.

"Blasted thing wouldn't come off. It looks like I still need to work on this; I used to be able to speak while it was on," Icarus says. While his appearance isn't any noteworthy to Grimalkin, Nanowire can notice immediately that his face has changed, like he's had plastic surgery. The effect is that he looks more like Daedalus in his ordinary appearance, even as his suit looks less like Daedalus's.

"If you saw me, then others probably did too. If you recognized me... I thought I changed it enough so that wouldn't happen. Blast! I knew I should have changed the helm. Velocity or Valkyrie might be on their way right now."

He gives Nanowire a piercing stare. "The name's not Heavy anymore, either. I go by Icarus now."

It seemed Heavy's armor wasn't the only thing that had changed. Whatever he'd done to his face must have cost a fair amount. The fact that he looked like a young Daedalus was lost on him; he'd never seen the man. However, the mere fact that he'd gone through the effort Nanowire could recognize spoke volumes.

"Velocity and Valkyrie? The two from the meusem?" Nanowire winced. The last thing he wanted to do was turn the first person he'd carried on a civilized conversation with against him. Well, more than she already was as a result of being on opposite sides of the law. "They followed you?"

Far be it for him to impinge on another person's delusions of grandeur, but... "Ah, you know he kinda burned up, right? I mean, that might not want to be the image you're going for."

It seemed Heavy's armor wasn't the only thing that had changed. Whatever he'd done to his face must have cost a fair amount. The fact that he looked like a young Daedalus was lost on him; he'd never seen the man. However, the mere fact that he'd gone through the effort Nanowire could recognize spoke volumes.

"Velocity and Valkyrie? The two from the meusem?" Nanowire winced. The last thing he wanted to do was turn the first person he'd carried on a civilized conversation with against him. Well, more than she already was as a result of being on opposite sides of the law. "They followed you?"

Far be it for him to impinge on another person's delusions of grandeur, but... "Ah, you know he kinda burned up, right? I mean, that might not want to be the image you're going for."

Grim finally manages to shut her mouth once Icarus speaks, which drastically changes the mood of the evening; Icarus seems like a pro, very much focused on his 'work', and is being actively pursued by other crimefighters. Valkyrie she wasn't so sure of, but she had seen pictures of Velocity on the net, and she already knew she hated her; no girl with a smile that big had anything in common with Grim, and her costume had that sort of high fashion veneer, which either meant she was rich, or wanted folks to think she was rich. Either way, gag.

Eventually she gets the nerve to jump back into the conversation

"So, you guys did...like a heist together, at the museum? That's cool; most I ever took was a few sweaters from Barney's of New York."

She stops herself, winces and looks down at her feet.

"Well, actually, it's kinda not because of the whole...crime part of it."

Grim looks back at the two huge supervillains, then up and down the street, hoping someone else would show up and at least start shooting or something so she'd have a better idea of what to do; finding no relief, she turns back to Nanowire with a rather pained expression.

"Look, I don't have a chance of taking you down, much less both of you, and it sounds like you're fleeing from justice, so you should probably get going; I don't have a cellphone or a comlink or anything, so I'll have to, like, walk to the nearest police station and report you, so that will give you some time..."

She trails off and looks genuinely sad, but can't seem to bring herself to actually go.

Grim finally manages to shut her mouth once Icarus speaks, which drastically changes the mood of the evening; Icarus seems like a pro, very much focused on his 'work', and is being actively pursued by other crimefighters. Valkyrie she wasn't so sure of, but she had seen pictures of Velocity on the net, and she already knew she hated her; no girl with a smile that big had anything in common with Grim, and her costume had that sort of high fashion veneer, which either meant she was rich, or wanted folks to think she was rich. Either way, gag.

"So, you guys did...like a heist together, at the museum? That's cool; most I ever took was a few sweaters from Barney's of New York."

Grim looks back at the two huge supervillains, then up and down the street, hoping someone else would show up and at least start shooting or something so she'd have a better idea of what to do; finding no relief, she turns back to Nanowire with a rather pained expression.

"Look, I don't have a chance of taking you down, much less both of you, and it sounds like you're fleeing from justice, so you should probably get going; I don't have a cellphone or a comlink or anything, so I'll have to, like, walk to the nearest police station and report you, so that will give you some time..."

She trails off and looks genuinely sad, but can't seem to bring herself to actually go.

Icarus considers asking Grimalkin if she wants to be a hostage. Some kids might appreciate the excitement, and she seems like a bit of a wannabe villain from the way she talks about her experiences shoplifting, and the way she won't leave. It only takes a moment before he reconsiders. There's no need to drag her into any mess that he started.

He hadn't been paying close attention to Nanowire and Grimalkin's conversation as he tried to remove his helm, and hadn't heard why she was out there, or even seen that she was a superhuman of some sort. In the end, he chooses to answer Nanowire's last claim, though he doesn't notice that he slips into ancient Greek to respond.

"I didn't burn. The air is cold high, not hot," he says. He shakes his head, frowning. He returns to English, "But you are out late, and it isn't safe out here for you. Nanowire, do you want to escort this young lady home? You two seem to be getting along well," he says with a rakish grin. He has a way of speaking that makes him sound like someone's father or even grandfather, even though he looks like he's only a few years older than Grimalkin.

Icarus considers asking Grimalkin if she wants to be a hostage. Some kids might appreciate the excitement, and she seems like a bit of a wannabe villain from the way she talks about her experiences shoplifting, and the way she won't leave. It only takes a moment before he reconsiders. There's no need to drag her into any mess that he started.

He hadn't been paying close attention to Nanowire and Grimalkin's conversation as he tried to remove his helm, and hadn't heard why she was out there, or even seen that she was a superhuman of some sort. In the end, he chooses to answer Nanowire's last claim, though he doesn't notice that he slips into ancient Greek to respond.

"I didn't burn. The air is cold high, not hot," he says. He shakes his head, frowning. He returns to English, "But you are out late, and it isn't safe out here for you. Nanowire, do you want to escort this young lady home? You two seem to be getting along well," he says with a rakish grin. He has a way of speaking that makes him sound like someone's father or even grandfather, even though he looks like he's only a few years older than Grimalkin.

Megan Howell was sitting in her room at her parents mansion in North Bay when she heard the communicator from the Freedom League beeping softly in her backpack. In a flash she was up from her computer, changed into her costume and then over to the backpack, digging the communicator out as she keyed it.

“This is Velocity.â€Â

Megan Howell was sitting in her room at her parents mansion in North Bay when she heard the communicator from the Freedom League beeping softly in her backpack. In a flash she was up from her computer, changed into her costume and then over to the backpack, digging the communicator out as she keyed it.

“This is Velocity.â€Â

“This is Velocity.â€Â

For a moment, Grim feels like the kid who is pulled over by a cop for speeding but is let go with a friendly reminder, when he's got a backpack filled with hash sitting next to him in the passenger seat. She looks from Nano to Icarus and back, her mouth slightly open in disbelief, before her brain kicks in and she is quick to take advantage of the situation. She wrinkles her nose and does this weird little dance of glee.

"Wow, that would be awesome!"

She practically wraps herself around Nano's arm as she chatters on in this vein, gently tugging him away from the far more frightening Icarus.

"Okay, now you have to tell me, what is the most evil thing you've ever done? I once sent away for all these credit cards in my mom's name, and she never even found out! I hit Hot Topic like shopping machine that ran on plastic! So do you have, like, a secret base where you make all your evil plans? I want mine to be all black, but maybe with some candles and a few white Christmas lights, y'know? To make it classy."

For a moment, Grim feels like the kid who is pulled over by a cop for speeding but is let go with a friendly reminder, when he's got a backpack filled with hash sitting next to him in the passenger seat. She looks from Nano to Icarus and back, her mouth slightly open in disbelief, before her brain kicks in and she is quick to take advantage of the situation. She wrinkles her nose and does this weird little dance of glee.

"Wow, that would be awesome!"

She practically wraps herself around Nano's arm as she chatters on in this vein, gently tugging him away from the far more frightening Icarus.

"Okay, now you have to tell me, what is the most evil thing you've ever done? I once sent away for all these credit cards in my mom's name, and she never even found out! I hit Hot Topic like shopping machine that ran on plastic! So do you have, like, a secret base where you make all your evil plans? I want mine to be all black, but maybe with some candles and a few white Christmas lights, y'know? To make it classy."