What goes around, comes around

Heridfel

Erin stands up to take the clothes. "Sure thing; be back in a sec," she says. She walks over to a door and peers inside, then steps through and closes the door most of the way behind her.

"Yeah. It definitely beats hanging out on the streets," she calls out. "These look like they fit alright. Be right out."

She steps out, and it looks like Valkyrie's eye for fashion is fairly on the money. The pants are a little loose in the hips, leaving them to lean down a bit at her waist, but the shirt seems to be the right size for her build.

Erin leans back a little, hands folded across her chest. "So, how do I look?"

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erin stands up to take the clothes. "Sure thing; be back in a sec," she says. She walks over to a door and peers inside, then steps through and closes the door most of the way behind her.

"Yeah. It definitely beats hanging out on the streets," she calls out. "These look like they fit alright. Be right out."

She steps out, and it looks like Valkyrie's eye for fashion is fairly on the money. The pants are a little loose in the hips, leaving them to lean down a bit at her waist, but the shirt seems to be the right size for her build.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose turns to Erin and internally congratulates herself, "You look great! Perfect." She stops for a moment, taking in the room, "So, Erin, have you given any thought to what you're going to do next? I mean, you're supposed to learn about what humanity is like, right? Are you going to seek out the best we have to offer, or the worst?" Rose feels the need to sit down, but feels far too awkward to make any sudden movements.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose turns to Erin and internally congratulates herself, "You look great! Perfect." She stops for a moment, taking in the room, "So, Erin, have you given any thought to what you're going to do next? I mean, you're supposed to learn about what humanity is like, right? Are you going to seek out the best we have to offer, or the worst?" Rose feels the need to sit down, but feels far too awkward to make any sudden movements.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

"It's got to be both, to get the real feel of it. And there's probably a whole bunch of stuff in the middle too. I'm not really in a rush. I know most people don't figure it out that fast, and they've got it coming natural to them. Me, I still think that doing unto others after they try to do unto you is fine, but you two act like it's not, except when it is. It'd be confusing, except I really don't know what the rules are," she says. "I don't know if anyone does, even."

She sighs and leans forward, putting her chin in her hands. "And I can tell these clothes will probably light on fire if I have to use that. Are there any clothes that won't do that?" She looks up suddenly to Valkyrie. "I mean, I like the clothes, but that's why I don't want them destroyed. I don't mean to upset you or anything."

"It's got to be both, to get the real feel of it. And there's probably a whole bunch of stuff in the middle too. I'm not really in a rush. I know most people don't figure it out that fast, and they've got it coming natural to them. Me, I still think that doing unto others after they try to do unto you is fine, but you two act like it's not, except when it is. It'd be confusing, except I really don't know what the rules are," she says. "I don't know if anyone does, even."

She sighs and leans forward, putting her chin in her hands. "And I can tell these clothes will probably light on fire if I have to use that. Are there any clothes that won't do that?" She looks up suddenly to Valkyrie. "I mean, I like the clothes, but that's why I don't want them destroyed. I don't mean to upset you or anything."

"The clothing suits you, certainly"

A nod after responding to her question, then pausing as he takes in Valkyrie and Erin's exchange.

"There aren't really.. I mean, some costumes are more durant than others, actually, but as far as day to day clothing? They are fairly fragile things."

"As for the rest.. is not the expression that you speak of, do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Which, before you rejoinder with such an idea having to preclude you from ever vigorously stopping anyone from malign action at all, consider this: Wouldn't you want someone to stop you from vitcimizing the defenseless? Moreover, wouldn't you want them to let you have a chance to live your life from that point without doing so again? You say you are unsure which code or law you should follow, so I would put to you, start then with picturing everyone as having the same rights you want to have, and treat them as though they do. Export the way you feel you are worth being treated, to everyone around you. Be your own code."

"Even with the fight we were just in.. did we stop the White Knight from harming anyone? Yes, certainly, and that is a good thing. Did we then also entrust him to the legal system, and hope that it will find a way to rehabilitate him, so that he might one day have the same chance at a productive and enriched life that we all want? Yes, we did that too. And in doing all that, have we done nothing but treat the man in overall the same way we would want to be treated in such a situation? It does not matter to say that we would never be in such a situation, that even the idea is horrifying. For it is the point that the idea is so horrifying and that we find it so. It makes us understand that we would want to be stopped, want to be helped out of it once stopped. The point is to be able to think on that if we were in that place, how we would want to be treated. To understand then that if we would want to be treated that way, is there any real reason to treat someone else differently? For there is not."

"And it may be, and frankly, is even likely that the White Knight will squander his chances for such. But that does not mean everyone will. And the more you stay true to being your own code, to still acting in a guidepost of extending the worth you give yourself to others, the more there is any chance those others will begin to do the same."

A nod after responding to her question, then pausing as he takes in Valkyrie and Erin's exchange.

"There aren't really.. I mean, some costumes are more durant than others, actually, but as far as day to day clothing? They are fairly fragile things."

"As for the rest.. is not the expression that you speak of, do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Which, before you rejoinder with such an idea having to preclude you from ever vigorously stopping anyone from malign action at all, consider this: Wouldn't you want someone to stop you from vitcimizing the defenseless? Moreover, wouldn't you want them to let you have a chance to live your life from that point without doing so again? You say you are unsure which code or law you should follow, so I would put to you, start then with picturing everyone as having the same rights you want to have, and treat them as though they do. Export the way you feel you are worth being treated, to everyone around you. Be your own code."

"Even with the fight we were just in.. did we stop the White Knight from harming anyone? Yes, certainly, and that is a good thing. Did we then also entrust him to the legal system, and hope that it will find a way to rehabilitate him, so that he might one day have the same chance at a productive and enriched life that we all want? Yes, we did that too. And in doing all that, have we done nothing but treat the man in overall the same way we would want to be treated in such a situation? It does not matter to say that we would never be in such a situation, that even the idea is horrifying. For it is the point that the idea is so horrifying and that we find it so. It makes us understand that we would want to be stopped, want to be helped out of it once stopped. The point is to be able to think on that if we were in that place, how we would want to be treated. To understand then that if we would want to be treated that way, is there any real reason to treat someone else differently? For there is not."

"And it may be, and frankly, is even likely that the White Knight will squander his chances for such. But that does not mean everyone will. And the more you stay true to being your own code, to still acting in a guidepost of extending the worth you give yourself to others, the more there is any chance those others will begin to do the same."

"I never said anything about doing unto others, except doing unto them as they would have done unto me. Everyone has a chance to do the right thing. Once they fail, they should be punished, balanced on the weight of their sins. It was clear what the White Knight was going to do, and he's supposed to be in prison right now.

But he was supposed to be in prison before we apprehended him. He had escaped justice before. Is it not a mockery of justice to allow the guilty to go unpunished, to allow them to escape the punishment that your 'just' society imposed on them? By having compassion for the criminal, you are being cruel to the victims of his crimes," Erin says. She looks over to Valkyrie and back to the Emissary.

"Maybe I should go. I don't know if I feel welcome here," she says. She stands up and bows slightly to both of them. "Thank you for the clothes, and for listening. I'll probably see you around."

"I never said anything about doing unto others, except doing unto them as they would have done unto me. Everyone has a chance to do the right thing. Once they fail, they should be punished, balanced on the weight of their sins. It was clear what the White Knight was going to do, and he's supposed to be in prison right now.

But he was supposed to be in prison before we apprehended him. He had escaped justice before. Is it not a mockery of justice to allow the guilty to go unpunished, to allow them to escape the punishment that your 'just' society imposed on them? By having compassion for the criminal, you are being cruel to the victims of his crimes," Erin says. She looks over to Valkyrie and back to the Emissary.

"Maybe I should go. I don't know if I feel welcome here," she says. She stands up and bows slightly to both of them. "Thank you for the clothes, and for listening. I'll probably see you around."

The Emissary blinks.

Then he blinks again.

Then he entirely looks like he's going to say something, but nothing comes out of his mouth, and he blinks once more.

Finally, he speaks.

"I am... deeply confused by your response. I am.. I am uncertain where I had stated any of the things you seem to be objecting to.. ahm.. I am fairly certain I had entirely said one must do what one can to stop those of malevolent intent, I had simply spoke to the intent one carries in one's heart when one does so being important, in response to your questioning what kind of code a person should follow."

He rubs the back of his head, furrowing his brow in concentration.

"Who here spoke of allowing those who have so victimized to escape consequence? You seem to be looking for a position to define yourself against that I have not espoused. Not having that position, I cannot, I fear, provide it to you for that purpose. I am sorry."

The Emissary blinks.

Then he blinks again.

Then he entirely looks like he's going to say something, but nothing comes out of his mouth, and he blinks once more.

Finally, he speaks.

"I am... deeply confused by your response. I am.. I am uncertain where I had stated any of the things you seem to be objecting to.. ahm.. I am fairly certain I had entirely said one must do what one can to stop those of malevolent intent, I had simply spoke to the intent one carries in one's heart when one does so being important, in response to your questioning what kind of code a person should follow."

"Who here spoke of allowing those who have so victimized to escape consequence? You seem to be looking for a position to define yourself against that I have not espoused. Not having that position, I cannot, I fear, provide it to you for that purpose. I am sorry."

The Emissary blinks.

Then he blinks again.

Finally, he speaks.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Valkyrie steps forward, her hands in the air, palms out in a gesture of 'defusion'. "Alright, ok - there is only so far that talk can take this kind of thing." She turns to Erin and smiles sincerely, "You're very welcome for the clothes, and you're more than welcome to leave at any time, but I don't want you to think you're not welcome. You've given me, us, a lot to think about - I'm grateful." She speaks in a more general tone, including Emissary in the discussion, but not in a way that singles him out, "Part of being a member of society is allowing people to make their own choices - their own mistakes and claim their own victories." She focusses once more on Erin, "You have a lot to learn, but we also have a lot to learn from you." She thinks for a moment, "There's no real way to contact me, I'm afraid, but you're more than welcome to try, at any time. You know where Emissary lives, at least. I'm hoping to introduce myself to the Freedom League at some point in the near future, so they could perhaps contact me if need be." Rose guessed that Erin didn't need food or water or shelter, but that didn't stop her from worrying. Rose had looked after her own sisters her entire life, and to let this one just fend for itself seemed unnatural, but she knew it was the right thing. She just hoped that no-one got hurt in the process.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Valkyrie steps forward, her hands in the air, palms out in a gesture of 'defusion'. "Alright, ok - there is only so far that talk can take this kind of thing." She turns to Erin and smiles sincerely, "You're very welcome for the clothes, and you're more than welcome to leave at any time, but I don't want you to think you're not welcome. You've given me, us, a lot to think about - I'm grateful." She speaks in a more general tone, including Emissary in the discussion, but not in a way that singles him out, "Part of being a member of society is allowing people to make their own choices - their own mistakes and claim their own victories." She focusses once more on Erin, "You have a lot to learn, but we also have a lot to learn from you." She thinks for a moment, "There's no real way to contact me, I'm afraid, but you're more than welcome to try, at any time. You know where Emissary lives, at least. I'm hoping to introduce myself to the Freedom League at some point in the near future, so they could perhaps contact me if need be." Rose guessed that Erin didn't need food or water or shelter, but that didn't stop her from worrying. Rose had looked after her own sisters her entire life, and to let this one just fend for itself seemed unnatural, but she knew it was the right thing. She just hoped that no-one got hurt in the process.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Erin nods slowly. She chews on her lip for a second before speaking again.

"Maybe I just didn't understand. There's a lot to learn, and I haven't been around very long in Freedom City. I think I'll probably see you at Freedom Hall sometime. I need to keep fighting against people so that I can use their powers, and that means I have to spar against them... or just get hit by them, but that's no fun," she says with a smile. She pulls down the bottom of the shirt which had ridden up when she stood. "Thank you again for the clothes, and for the talk."

She heads out of the door of the building and closes it behind her, leaving the Emissary and Valkyrie in the room together.

Erin nods slowly. She chews on her lip for a second before speaking again.

"Maybe I just didn't understand. There's a lot to learn, and I haven't been around very long in Freedom City. I think I'll probably see you at Freedom Hall sometime. I need to keep fighting against people so that I can use their powers, and that means I have to spar against them... or just get hit by them, but that's no fun," she says with a smile. She pulls down the bottom of the shirt which had ridden up when she stood. "Thank you again for the clothes, and for the talk."

She heads out of the door of the building and closes it behind her, leaving the Emissary and Valkyrie in the room together.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose stands there for a moment, dumbfounded. Letting the girl just leave like that went against everything she thought proper, but there was nothing that could be done. She couldn't restrain the girl - she hadn't actually done anything wrong. The whole day had been quite an experience for her, something that was really making her take a look at what she believed and why she believed it. After a few moments she turned to the Emissary, "I guess I had better be off too - it was nice meeting you."

Rose began to rise into the air, permerating through the ceiling and, eventually, up into the sky. She looked down onto the streets as she flew, but she couldn't see Erin anywhere. Inside she felt a twinge of anxiety, what's she going to get up to? but she pushed it back. She felt an odd kinship for the girl, despite their brief meeting - perhaps it was because Rose had looked after her own younger sisters her entire life, or perhaps it was because they were both reasonably new at this superhero gig. Whatever was the case, Rose would try and be there for Erin.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose stands there for a moment, dumbfounded. Letting the girl just leave like that went against everything she thought proper, but there was nothing that could be done. She couldn't restrain the girl - she hadn't actually done anything wrong. The whole day had been quite an experience for her, something that was really making her take a look at what she believed and why she believed it. After a few moments she turned to the Emissary, "I guess I had better be off too - it was nice meeting you."

Rose began to rise into the air, permerating through the ceiling and, eventually, up into the sky. She looked down onto the streets as she flew, but she couldn't see Erin anywhere. Inside she felt a twinge of anxiety, what's she going to get up to? but she pushed it back. She felt an odd kinship for the girl, despite their brief meeting - perhaps it was because Rose had looked after her own younger sisters her entire life, or perhaps it was because they were both reasonably new at this superhero gig. Whatever was the case, Rose would try and be there for Erin.