What goes around, comes around

Heridfel

He looks to Erin for a while, speaking after Valkyrie has finished.

"If I then left him to linger in his injuries, or I killed him, or I did anything besides then intend to turn him over to the authorities and hope that the system of law can then eventually find a way to do something constructive with him, then yes, you would be correct, I would only be doing what I had just said. It is just as critical in terms of the intent that shapes ones actions before they are taken, and what one does afterwards, as the actions themselves."

"Whether he likes it or not, and most assuredly he does not, White Knight is part of this community. Upon violating its laws, its basic social contract, he must then face the responsiblities of doing so. And thusly his flight must be halted."

He looks thoughtful.

"More particularly, unto us is given great might. And certainly if we wished, we can just enforce our personal views with it. We can institute violent aversion therapy onto humanity. Striking out at them when they don't act how we like. Killing even, perhaps, when we choose, when that will 'pre empt any cycle'. And it may be that our intentions are good. That we even like humanity, think that for so liking them, we must protect them, and this is how we do so. Retaliation. Enforcement. Living above their laws. But what then is humanity to us really? Are they anything but a herd of animals we keep pent up with our strength, culling and mutilating so that they persist in the way we want them to? Yet that is the end result of your viewpoint seen to its conclusion. An ever watchful, ever violent herdsman. At which point one must wonder.. why even bother to help them? They are only animals to you. And certainly you do not think the world can ever improve, or you would not be its wrathful herdsman. Why then bother to defend something that does not even have the capacity to be better to you?"

"If you wish to learn from humanity, you must do so at the side of humanity, being part of the societies they build, recognizing that their growth, their evolution, their greatest achievements, their awe inspiring wonders come from joining together in these groups and aspiring to higher ideals than simple retribution if a direct wrong happens to one of them. It is only then that you can truly internalize their qualities, both good and ill. They do not exist in isolation, and thusly, neither can your actions be solely defined in context of you.â€Â

“Or… look at it this way, we have might, and we use it, but the best thing we then do with it is after helping with it how we can, we then surrender it entirely to the greater community we don’t just hope to be part of, but that which we hope to see come into being, giving over ultimate resolution to its authority. That such an act of trust and faith on our part will help inspire the values and growth we hope to see. And though that may not always be successful, there will always be some so inspired, and they will spread that virtue to others, and someday, it will birth a world larger, and stronger and more virtuous than even our own heroism. Which is to say, might then, used for right, a right beyond and greater than ourselves. I know it might sound a bit silly, but I don’t think you can say there isn’t such a thing.â€Â

He coughs.

“Or so goes my view on it anyway.â€Â

The calls of the policemen interrupt him and he looks over.

“Oh.. ah.. the White Knight had been seen emerging from his hidden state and looked to be on an attack vector towards this area. The very talented Payback intercepted him first and attempted to halt him, I arrived soon after off of a request for assistance from the Freedom League. We subdued him, Valkyrie arrived soon after, and assisted in keeping him subdued.â€Â

He looks entirely chagrinned.

“And.. the pavement was me.. his aura of flame was proving extremely injurious, and.. well… it seemed a good idea as far as being able to strike him.. ah.. forward the expense for the damages to my embassy please?â€Â

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks to Erin for a while, speaking after Valkyrie has finished.

"If I then left him to linger in his injuries, or I killed him, or I did anything besides then intend to turn him over to the authorities and hope that the system of law can then eventually find a way to do something constructive with him, then yes, you would be correct, I would only be doing what I had just said. It is just as critical in terms of the intent that shapes ones actions before they are taken, and what one does afterwards, as the actions themselves."

"Whether he likes it or not, and most assuredly he does not, White Knight is part of this community. Upon violating its laws, its basic social contract, he must then face the responsiblities of doing so. And thusly his flight must be halted."

He looks thoughtful.

"More particularly, unto us is given great might. And certainly if we wished, we can just enforce our personal views with it. We can institute violent aversion therapy onto humanity. Striking out at them when they don't act how we like. Killing even, perhaps, when we choose, when that will 'pre empt any cycle'. And it may be that our intentions are good. That we even like humanity, think that for so liking them, we must protect them, and this is how we do so. Retaliation. Enforcement. Living above their laws. But what then is humanity to us really? Are they anything but a herd of animals we keep pent up with our strength, culling and mutilating so that they persist in the way we want them to? Yet that is the end result of your viewpoint seen to its conclusion. An ever watchful, ever violent herdsman. At which point one must wonder.. why even bother to help them? They are only animals to you. And certainly you do not think the world can ever improve, or you would not be its wrathful herdsman. Why then bother to defend something that does not even have the capacity to be better to you?"

"If you wish to learn from humanity, you must do so at the side of humanity, being part of the societies they build, recognizing that their growth, their evolution, their greatest achievements, their awe inspiring wonders come from joining together in these groups and aspiring to higher ideals than simple retribution if a direct wrong happens to one of them. It is only then that you can truly internalize their qualities, both good and ill. They do not exist in isolation, and thusly, neither can your actions be solely defined in context of you.â€Â

“Or… look at it this way, we have might, and we use it, but the best thing we then do with it is after helping with it how we can, we then surrender it entirely to the greater community we don’t just hope to be part of, but that which we hope to see come into being, giving over ultimate resolution to its authority. That such an act of trust and faith on our part will help inspire the values and growth we hope to see. And though that may not always be successful, there will always be some so inspired, and they will spread that virtue to others, and someday, it will birth a world larger, and stronger and more virtuous than even our own heroism. Which is to say, might then, used for right, a right beyond and greater than ourselves. I know it might sound a bit silly, but I don’t think you can say there isn’t such a thing.â€Â

He coughs.

“Or so goes my view on it anyway.â€Â

The calls of the policemen interrupt him and he looks over.

“Oh.. ah.. the White Knight had been seen emerging from his hidden state and looked to be on an attack vector towards this area. The very talented Payback intercepted him first and attempted to halt him, I arrived soon after off of a request for assistance from the Freedom League. We subdued him, Valkyrie arrived soon after, and assisted in keeping him subdued.â€Â

He looks entirely chagrinned.

“And.. the pavement was me.. his aura of flame was proving extremely injurious, and.. well… it seemed a good idea as far as being able to strike him.. ah.. forward the expense for the damages to my embassy please?â€Â

"That's not my department, sir," the policeman says as he recognizes the Emissary and straightens up his posture and bearing. "You would need to speak with the Department of Public Works. Between you and me, though, you may wish to see if Dr. Metropolis could come out here and fix it. The damage is fairly minor, and it shouldn't take him more than a minute."

He looks over to Payback and Valkyrie and asks, "Is there anything else that you would like to add to the Emissary's statement?" He coughs as he looks over to Payback, and averts his eyes from the Emissary's cape and what it covers.

For her part, Payback is still shameless, though she keeps herself covered to avoid upsetting the Emissary or Valkyrie any further. "No, he covered it well," she says.

"That's not my department, sir," the policeman says as he recognizes the Emissary and straightens up his posture and bearing. "You would need to speak with the Department of Public Works. Between you and me, though, you may wish to see if Dr. Metropolis could come out here and fix it. The damage is fairly minor, and it shouldn't take him more than a minute."

He looks over to Payback and Valkyrie and asks, "Is there anything else that you would like to add to the Emissary's statement?" He coughs as he looks over to Payback, and averts his eyes from the Emissary's cape and what it covers.

For her part, Payback is still shameless, though she keeps herself covered to avoid upsetting the Emissary or Valkyrie any further. "No, he covered it well," she says.

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose smiled, she'd been watching Emissary. Hearing him speak as he did was comforting. He had a way about him, it seemed, that made everything look ok. Like he gave you something to aspire to; a vision of something greater to come. When the policeman speaks, she turns, still smiling, "No, thank-you officer. If you need any more information, just ask though." She turns to Erin, "We should get you some clothes at least. I know of some that might fit, but I'll have to bring them to you. Any ideas on where you might be for the next few hours?"

Valkyrie-1.jpg

Rose smiled, she'd been watching Emissary. Hearing him speak as he did was comforting. He had a way about him, it seemed, that made everything look ok. Like he gave you something to aspire to; a vision of something greater to come. When the policeman speaks, she turns, still smiling, "No, thank-you officer. If you need any more information, just ask though." She turns to Erin, "We should get you some clothes at least. I know of some that might fit, but I'll have to bring them to you. Any ideas on where you might be for the next few hours?"

Valkyrie-1.jpg

"Alright, you two win. I'll go with him to his embassy, and we can talk more about, well, everything," Erin says. She looks over to the Emissary with an impish grin.

"So tell me, is this how you pick up all the pretty girls? You better hope you don't get any paparazzi after you on the way back. Half-naked woman wrapped up in your cape - what will the media say? I haven't known you long, but I bet you've got a reputation for being a real Boy Scout."

"Alright, you two win. I'll go with him to his embassy, and we can talk more about, well, everything," Erin says. She looks over to the Emissary with an impish grin.

"So tell me, is this how you pick up all the pretty girls? You better hope you don't get any paparazzi after you on the way back. Half-naked woman wrapped up in your cape - what will the media say? I haven't known you long, but I bet you've got a reputation for being a real Boy Scout."

He coughs needlessly.

"Ahm... I have not picked up any pretty girls.. well, I suppose barring ones I have had to carry away from fires or the like. But I do not think that counts, really."

"Also, it is my understanding that the Boy Scouts are renowned for their preparation and civic mindedness, if that is my reputation, I would be entirely pleased."

He makes ready to start flying back.

"Besides of which, Boy Scout is very hard to rhyme with anything in the tabloid media, thus making me less front page headline condusive, as opposed to that.. perplexingly grotesque singer that seems to be called 'Wacko' a great deal. Advantage? Emissary."

He smiles.

He coughs needlessly.

"Ahm... I have not picked up any pretty girls.. well, I suppose barring ones I have had to carry away from fires or the like. But I do not think that counts, really."

"Also, it is my understanding that the Boy Scouts are renowned for their preparation and civic mindedness, if that is my reputation, I would be entirely pleased."

"Besides of which, Boy Scout is very hard to rhyme with anything in the tabloid media, thus making me less front page headline condusive, as opposed to that.. perplexingly grotesque singer that seems to be called 'Wacko' a great deal. Advantage? Emissary."

He smiles.

He coughs needlessly.

He smiles.

Erin stands there and smiles back at him.

"Well, then I guess I'm your first. I can't fly right now. I had hoped he'd try to carry me up and drop me. That's usually enough for me to start flying. At least, I think it is... it's like one of those things you can remember, but you don't know where you remember it from. Weird," she says. She takes a step forward, trying to figure out how the Emissary intends to carry her. Wrapping around him in a hug is fairly different from being lifted from below (and it's safe to guess that he won't use a fireman's carry, despite what he said about rescuing women from fires. That'd expose more than he seemed to want).

She waves to Valkyrie and says, "See you later. You know where his place is, right?"

"Well, then I guess I'm your first. I can't fly right now. I had hoped he'd try to carry me up and drop me. That's usually enough for me to start flying. At least, I think it is... it's like one of those things you can remember, but you don't know where you remember it from. Weird," she says. She takes a step forward, trying to figure out how the Emissary intends to carry her. Wrapping around him in a hug is fairly different from being lifted from below (and it's safe to guess that he won't use a fireman's carry, despite what he said about rescuing women from fires. That'd expose more than he seemed to want).

She waves to Valkyrie and says, "See you later. You know where his place is, right?"

Valkyrie-1.jpg

"See you later. You know where his place is, right?"

Rose thinks for a moment, "The Emissary's embassy? Yeah, I know it. I'll see you there soon." She pauses, "Look after each other." Then she flies off at top speed, making for home. I know the Emissary's Embassy from my days as a comic book writer - used that location plenty of times. Rose thought about actually being there; standing in the rooms. Yeah, she had written about it, but she wasn't entirely sure what went on inside. Who knows what there would be?

She flew in a straight line, diving straight through the street a few blocks from her home. She came up, luckily, in her backyard, and then 'swam' through the ground the rest of the way before coming up inside her house. Walking through the halls, Rose was startled when she saw her sister, Cadence, looking through her fridge, "Cade?" Cadence takes out the milk and swige from the bottle, "Hey sis." It hadn't affected Cadence for a while, seeing her sister walking around looking like Valkyrie. Rose enters the kitchen, and leans against the table, "What's up? I thought you'd be at work?" Cadence shrugs, "Yeah, I kinda quit today.", "You what?" Rose was more disappointed than angry - this happened alot. Cadence answered with a 'what's the big deal' shrug. "C'mon, Cade. You gotta start holding down a job, I hate being the bad guy here but...", "Then don't be." Cadence cut in. She was already visibly annoyed. Rose softened her tone, "We can't afford to live if you keep throwing in jobs." Cadence sat at the table now, picking her finger nails, "We'll be fine. We've always got the carers pension - lighten up, ok?" Rose sighed - she hated coming down on any of her sisters, and Cadence copped it more than most... by far. "Listen, I have to go, ok? I'll be back later. I'm going to go through the charity clothes pile and find some good stuff to take with me," Cadence looked up at her, Rose continued "Long story - I'll tell you later. Listen, have a good day, ok? We can talk tonight. Love you sis."

Rose quickly searched through the clothes they were willing to part with and found some items she though might fit Erin before taking back off, through the window and into the sky. She made a b-line for Emissary's embassy, carrying the clothes in her arms. Being a superhero sure was interesting...

Valkyrie-1.jpg

"See you later. You know where his place is, right?"

Rose thinks for a moment, "The Emissary's embassy? Yeah, I know it. I'll see you there soon." She pauses, "Look after each other." Then she flies off at top speed, making for home. I know the Emissary's Embassy from my days as a comic book writer - used that location plenty of times. Rose thought about actually being there; standing in the rooms. Yeah, she had written about it, but she wasn't entirely sure what went on inside. Who knows what there would be?

She flew in a straight line, diving straight through the street a few blocks from her home. She came up, luckily, in her backyard, and then 'swam' through the ground the rest of the way before coming up inside her house. Walking through the halls, Rose was startled when she saw her sister, Cadence, looking through her fridge, "Cade?" Cadence takes out the milk and swige from the bottle, "Hey sis." It hadn't affected Cadence for a while, seeing her sister walking around looking like Valkyrie. Rose enters the kitchen, and leans against the table, "What's up? I thought you'd be at work?" Cadence shrugs, "Yeah, I kinda quit today.", "You what?" Rose was more disappointed than angry - this happened alot. Cadence answered with a 'what's the big deal' shrug. "C'mon, Cade. You gotta start holding down a job, I hate being the bad guy here but...", "Then don't be." Cadence cut in. She was already visibly annoyed. Rose softened her tone, "We can't afford to live if you keep throwing in jobs." Cadence sat at the table now, picking her finger nails, "We'll be fine. We've always got the carers pension - lighten up, ok?" Rose sighed - she hated coming down on any of her sisters, and Cadence copped it more than most... by far. "Listen, I have to go, ok? I'll be back later. I'm going to go through the charity clothes pile and find some good stuff to take with me," Cadence looked up at her, Rose continued "Long story - I'll tell you later. Listen, have a good day, ok? We can talk tonight. Love you sis."

Rose quickly searched through the clothes they were willing to part with and found some items she though might fit Erin before taking back off, through the window and into the sky. She made a b-line for Emissary's embassy, carrying the clothes in her arms. Being a superhero sure was interesting...