Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 1

Gold: 0/30

Alternate Identity: Rhea Chloris

Height: Varies (Normally 5’6â€)

Weight: 160 lbs.

Eyes: Light Green

Hair: Green

In Brief: Amoebas got spirit? Yes they do. Amoebas got spirit! How ‘bout you?

Description: An emerald green sphere roughly the size of a beach ball hangs from the ceiling. Slowly a pair of tendrils emerge from the surface. The surface of the tendrils begin to ripple and change shape until they appear to be a pair of athletic female arms dangling from the ball. A third tendril, larger than the other two begins to emerge between them and takes on the appearance of a young woman's head. One of the hands moves down to cover the mouth as the lips part and there is a soft sound much like a yawn. At the same time a pair of oval vacuoles take shape just behind the eyes giving them a little more definition. Quickly now the rest of a body emerges from the rapidly diminishing sphere until in its place there is a perfectly formed (though still entirely emerald green) young woman hanging from the ceiling, her long ponytail flowing up her back instead of down toward the floor.

She begins to meander across the room toward a full length tri-fold mirror much like they have in dressing rooms. Reaching it, one of her legs stretches down to the floor and she nonchalantly does what essentially amounts to a cartwheel down to the floor. Looking carefully into the mirror, her body ripples and suddenly, she is wearing a leotard and leg warmers made of the same material as the rest of her body. There is another yawning sound as she again covers her mouth. Then in a surprisingly normal sounding voice with just a hint of an east coast accent she says "God, I hate mornings." as she turns, heading for the door and the rest of her day.

History: Ever since she was six, Rhea Chloris had one ambition: Olympic gold. She practiced gymnastics six hours a day every day with her father Adonis Chloris, a former Greek Olympic gymnast himself.

By age 16 it seemed that her dreams were about to be fulfilled. She won the all-around at four national gymnastics championships (two as a junior in 2003 & 2004, and two as a senior in 2005 & 2006). She finished second all-around at the Gymnastics World Championship in 2005 (losing to teammate Dawn Gressen by the slimmest margin possible [.001 points]), and has won a total of nine medals at Worlds. However, just as she was getting ready for the Olympic trials, her routine medical exams noticed an irregularity in her blood work. A week later she was diagnosed with Leukemia and her dreams were dashed against the cruel shores of fate.

Knowing that standard treatment would rule out participation in the Olympics, her family was desperate to find an alternate form of treatment. They found it in the form of Dr. Holland Koda. Dr. Koda was the proprietor of a small California Bio-tech firm specializing in stem cell research to cure childhood diseases. His results were quite impressive and his procedures didn't involve any debilitating radiation or chemotherapy. Instead, the Proteus cells simply consumed and replaced the faulty cells with healthy ones. Rhea was even able to continue her training, although at a greatly reduced intensity.

Two months later, her leukemia in complete remission, Rhea began training again in earnest. Everything was going fine until during a particularly intense training session, one of her wrists buckled causing her to take a bad tumble. When she recovered, her hand was at a strange angle, but there was no pain.

Fearing that she had broken her wrist and was in shock, her parents rushed her to the ER. There they had her arm X-rayed only to discover that not only did she have no broken bones, she seemed to have no bones in her wrist at all. When they did a biopsy of the area all that they came up with was a strange greenish tissue that Rhea and her family instantly recognized. It looked identical to the chemically marked Proteus cells Dr. Koda had used in her treatments. Further testing showed that her wrist was not the only site so changed. It appeared those cells were functioning like a cancer in her body, replacing not only the diseased bone marrow cells, but any cells that they came into contact with. With the cancer metastasizing throughout her body, there was nothing the doctors could do for her and at its rate of growth, they projected that it would be terminal in just a few weeks.

However, Rhea wasn't exhibiting any standard signs of cancer. If any thing her energy levels were up and she was feeling better than she ever had before. It was determined that although the Proteus cells were spreading throughout her body and consuming it at an ever increasing rate, they were not in fact impairing it. As the cells destroyed one portion of her body, they took over it's function as they had been suppose to do with her bone marrow.

In the course of just a few days, there was nothing left of her original body, at which point the cells began to consume each other. However, as each cell absorbed into another, there was still no loss of function or mass. It was just fewer and fewer cells doing the same things that many had done. In the end, she was reduced down to a single cell, but one with remarkable abilities. Her dreams of Olympic gold had died long ago, but now perhaps a new dream was beginning to unfold.

Personality & Motivation: Rhea is a very focused and driven young woman. She has turned the time and energy which formerly fueled her Olympic dreams to understanding and controlling her new abilities.

Powers & Tactics: An intelligent, highly dexterous amoeba. Though her new body is fairly weak she is able to make use of her considerable acrobatics training in combat. Rhea is a skilled melee combatant who has several potent attacks usable at moderate range.

Complications:

Appearance: Bright Green!

Fame: Olympic hopeful turned monster.

Relationships: Make Daddy proud.

Who Is Dr Koda?

Abilities: (0 + 14 + 4 + 0 + 4 + 0 = 22PP

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 30/24 (+10/+7)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 14 + 12 = 26PP

Initiative: +14/+11

Attack: +10 Melee (+7 Base, +3 Attack Focus), +7 Ranged (+7 Base)

Grapple: +20/+17, +30 Elongation

Defense: +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -7/-2, -3/-1 Flat-Footed

Saving Throws: 4 + 0 + 5 = 9PP

Toughness: +9/+5 (Impervious 7/0), (+2 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +5 Protection), +7/+2 Flat-Footed

Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con, +4)

Reflex: +10/+7 (+10/+7 Dex, +0)

Will: +7 (+2 Wis, +5)

Skills: 52R = 13PP

Acrobatics 7 (+17/+14)

Climb 5 (+15/+12)

Concentration 8 (+10)

Disguise 0 (+0, +30 Morph)

Drive 1 (+11/+8)

Escape Artist 0 (+10/+7, +15 Elongation)

Knowledge (Life Sciences) 4 (+4)

Languages 1 (English [Native], Greek)

Medicine 2 (+4)

Notice 5 (+7)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Stealth 5 (+15/+12)

Swim 6 (+5)

Feats: 18PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Agile Climber

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 3

Defensive Roll 1 (+2 Toughness)

Dodge Focus 4

Grappling Block

Grapple Finesse

Interpose

Redirect

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Climb, Notice, Stealth)

Stunning Attack

Powers: 16 + 2 + 2 + 5 + 18 + 20 + 1 = 64PP

Enhanced Dexterity 6 (Feats: Ambidexterity, Chokehold, Elusive Target, Evasion 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Pin, Improved Throw, Improved Trip) [16PP] (Amorphous Form)

Immunity 2 (Critical Hits) [2PP] (Non-Differentiated Biomass)

Impervious Toughness 2 [2PP]

Insubstantial 1 (Liquid, Extras: Duration [Continuous], Flaws: Permanent) [5PP] (Amorphous Form)

Phagocytosis 8 (16PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 2) [18PP]

• Base Power: Corrosion 10 (Feats: Incurable Flaws: Requires Grapple) [16PP] (Consumption)
Damage 10 (Flaws: Requires Grapple) [5PP]
Drain Toughness 10 (Extras: Affects Objects, Flaws: Requires Grapple) [10PP]

Alternate Power: Snare 8 (Extras: Engulf) [16PP] (Vacuoles)

Alternate Power: Strike 10 (Feats:Mighty, Precise, Split Attack) [13PP] (Whipping Pseudopods)

Pliable Form 6 (12PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power, Dynamic Alternate Power 3, Dynamic Base Power) [20PP]

• Base Power (Dynamic): Morph 6 (Any Form, +30 Disguise, Flaws: Limited [Green Protoplasm]) [12PP]

Alternate Power: Flight 4 (100mph / 1,000ft per Move Action, Flaws: Gliding) [4PP] + Leaping 2 (x5) [2PP] + Swimming 5 (50mph / 500ft per Move Action, Feats: Environment Adaptation [Aquatic]) [6PP] (Flying Fish Form)

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Additional Limbs 6 (+50 Limbs, Flaws: Duration [Concentration]) [3PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Elongation 10 (500ft per Move Action, 5,000ft Max Length, 100ft Range Increments, +10 Escape Artist, +10 Grapple) [10PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Super-Movement 6 (Slithering, Slow Fall, Sure Footed, Swinging, Wall-Crawling 2) [12PP]

Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious) [10PP] (Cell Membrane)

Super-Senses 1 (Normal Vision [Extras: Radius]) [1PP] (Non-Differentiated Biomass)

Drawbacks: -3PP

Vulnerability (Gas Attacks, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Moderate [+50% Damage]) [-3PP] (Breathes with her entire body surface)

DC Block:

ATTACK       RANGE    SAVE                       EFFECT

Unarmed      Touch    DC15 Toughness (Staged)    Damage

Corrosion    Touch    DC20 Fortitude (Staged)    Drain Toughness

DC25 Toughness (Staged)    Damage

Snare        Touch    DC18 Reflex (Staged)       Entangled/Bound

Strike       Touch    DC25 Toughness (Staged)    Damage

Abilities (22) + Combat (26) + Saves (9) + Skills (13) + Feats (18) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (3) = 149/150 Power Points

The Fluff:

It's pretty solid overall. There's just a couple of points I wanted to clarify.

Am I correct in interpreting her background and complications to mean that her status as an amorphous green blob is widely known, not just a secret between her family and a couple of doctors?

Did Doctor Koda disappear after providing her "treatment," or is he still running a publicly-known-and-accessible childrens hospital?

Has she consciously decided to become a crimefighter now? That's important, because PCs in this game need to be supeheroes, who go looking for trouble, not just people with powers who wait for it to come to them. Think less Heroes and more Justice League Unlimited.

The Crunch:

Some of the power costs were off. For instance, Normal Hearing, Normal Olfactory, and Normal Touch are already all +Radius, so Normal Vision was the only sense she needed to buy it for. She doesn't have any Radio senses by default, and the Normal Mental sense everyone starts with doesn't have any Super-Sense extras, or any function beyond giving you the Sense Motive skill. I assumed you wouldn't want to make that +Radius, since she isn't a psychic and it would do nothing for her unless she tricked it out with a bunch of other extras, too.

I corrected the math. The good news is that you're way underbudget.

I also went ahead and changed the power arrays to UP notation. They (and the rest of the sheet) should be easier to read at a glance now. Feel free to change the array names to whatever descriptor you like - I pulled the current names out of a hat.

I also included a cost breakdown of the Corrosion, so you could see exactly how it works. When you Link powers together, you only have to apply any Feats/Drawbacks once, to the power as a whole, but you have to apply any Extras/Flaws to every individual power in the structure.

You can't choose Concentration for Skill Mastery, because Concentration is the one skill with which you can't Take 10, under any circumstances. So you'll have to pick another skill.

I don't understand why she's so physically weak that she's got below-average STR, yet she's a potential Olympian, and able to swing her hardened tendrils with enough force to inflict Damage 10. I'm confused as to why a physical attack power like that doesn't have the +Mighty feat, except for the fact that she's got a STR penalty. Is there an explanation for this setup beyond OOC strategic points-shaving?

Another thing to consider is that, now that the math is fixed on the Corrosion and you can afford to buy it up to your PL cap, the Strike AP is pretty much superfluous.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're allowed to buy the Impervious extra for the Toughness derived from your CON bonus as well as for Protection.

I also want to double-check to make sure you understand how Dynamic Arrays work. If you've linked several powers together to form a single DAP, when you choose to allocate points from the array to one of them, you have to allocate enough PP to buy at least 1 rank in all of them, and to cover the feats. So if you allocate PP to the Linked Flight/Leaping/Swimming power, you'd need to allocate enough PP to cover all the power feats, and to buy at least 1 rank each of the Flight, the Leaping, and the Swimming.

If you don't want that setup, then you need to buy any power you want the option of excluding as a separate DAP.

Am I correct in interpreting her background and complications to mean that her status as an amorphous green blob is widely known, not just a secret between her family and a couple of doctors?

Yes, her identity is public. She had been a shoe in for the US Olympic team and so was under a lot of scrutiny. While her "mystery illness" had been able to be covered up, they just didn't think that they needed to be secret about a broken/sprained wrist until it was too late. Once those X-rays were taken, it was pretty much all over.

Did Doctor Koda disappear after providing her "treatment," or is he still running a publicly-known-and-accessible childrens hospital?

Doctor Koda in the tradition of all good "Mysterious Evil Scientists" has disappeared and will need to be hunted down. Unless of course, it turns out that he is going to hunt her down instead.

Just to clarify, Dr. Koda did not run a children's hospital, but rather a small bio-tech firm. There were no large open wards with bright paint and stuffed animals to keep up the spirits of sick and dying kids. His firm was all machinery and test tubes and sterile laboratories. While his firm was publicly known, it most certainly was not open to the public. The course of treatment that Rhea received VERY hush-hush and were it not for the slip up when she hurt herself, her identity would never have gotten out. There could be any number of other children out there that he treated which have developed powers or been turned into monstrous things with no one the wiser.

Has she consciously decided to become a crimefighter now? That's important, because PCs in this game need to be supeheroes, who go looking for trouble, not just people with powers who wait for it to come to them. Think less Heroes and more Justice League Unlimited.

She is definitely planning to put herself out there. Elasticity is not just for when you can't find the remote.

The Crunch:

Some of the power costs were off. For instance, Normal Hearing, Normal Olfactory, and Normal Touch are already all +Radius, so Normal Vision was the only sense she needed to buy it for. She doesn't have any Radio senses by default, and the Normal Mental sense everyone starts with doesn't have any Super-Sense extras, or any function beyond giving you the Sense Motive skill. I assumed you wouldn't want to make that +Radius, since she isn't a psychic and it would do nothing for her unless she tricked it out with a bunch of other extras, too.

I corrected the math. The good news is that you're way underbudget.

YEA!!!! The senses seemed really expensive, but I was willing to go with it. Also probably a good thing to limit it to sight anyway, I don't think anyone really wants to be tasting everything that they touch. Way nasty, way quick.

I also went ahead and changed the power arrays to UP notation. They (and the rest of the sheet) should be easier to read at a glance now. Feel free to change the array names to whatever descriptor you like - I pulled the current names out of a hat.

You're right, it is much cleaner. Looks great.

I also included a cost breakdown of the Corrosion, so you could see exactly how it works. When you Link powers together, you only have to apply any Feats/Drawbacks once, to the power as a whole, but you have to apply any Extras/Flaws to every individual power in the structure.

thanks

You can't choose Concentration for Skill Mastery, because Concentration is the one skill with which you can't Take 10, under any circumstances. So you'll have to pick another skill.

Thought that one might get me in trouble. I will figure out something else.

I don't understand why she's so physically weak that she's got below-average STR, yet she's a potential Olympian, and able to swing her hardened tendrils with enough force to inflict Damage 10. I'm confused as to why a physical attack power like that doesn't have the +Mighty feat, except for the fact that she's got a STR penalty. Is there an explanation for this setup beyond OOC strategic points-shaving?

I chose to make her weak for a couple of reasons. First, I have a tendency to play bricks and want her to fight differently, so the STR penalty was to be a constant reminder not to go there. I wanted to be a thinking monster, not just a big ball of muscle. Second, I suppose I thought that most of her strength would be going toward physical cohesion rather than brawn. I did mention that she is weaker than she had been, (No, I didn't think that a below average strength was appropriate to any Olympic level athlete) but I suppose that there is no reason that she would have to be.

For her strike, i thought of it as using her pseudopods like whips rather than hammers, perhaps with a hardened tip/barb to really bite in. As such, the strength of the attacker doesn't really matter as much as the skill to crack it just right.

Another thing to consider is that, now that the math is fixed on the Corrosion and you can afford to buy it up to your PL cap, the Strike AP is pretty much superfluous.

My thinking on the matter was that the Strike is a slap (quick sharp contact) while the Corrosion is a grab (slow prolonged contact, as is the snare of course, but lets not go there for the moment). Also, the damage for one is kinetic while the other is chemical which will possibly allow for one to be affective where the other would not. With the corrected construction, they both have a few points left over from the array, can you think of something I could add to either to make them less superfluous?

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're allowed to buy the Impervious extra for the Toughness derived from your CON bonus as well as for Protection.

I was aware of that, but didn't really feel it appropriate. Heck, I had a hard time rationalizing the level of impervious she already has. After all, just how tough can a cell wall really be? As it stands, she is impervious to small arms fire and hand to hand damage from most street thugs. Seems good enough.

I also want to double-check to make sure you understand how Dynamic Arrays work. If you've linked several powers together to form a single DAP, when you choose to allocate points from the array to one of them, you have to allocate enough PP to buy at least 1 rank in all of them, and to cover the feats. So if you allocate PP to the Linked Flight/Leaping/Swimming power, you'd need to allocate enough PP to cover all the power feats, and to buy at least 1 rank each of the Flight, the Leaping, and the Swimming.

If you don't want that setup, then you need to buy any power you want the option of excluding as a separate DAP.

If you really want her to be immune to "small arms fire," I'd take her Impervious up to rank 7-8.

The "Shapeshift" power from the book is certainly an option, and an appropriate one, albiet an expensive one. You have to decide if the flexibility is worth the high premium you'd pay for it.

would it be possible to make her with specific powers for now and then at a later point change it to the full blown Shapeshift power with the explanation that she has simply figured out the greater potential of her power?

Yes. Character sheets aren't set in stone around here. You can always rebuild later, when you get a better feel for the system, for what works and what doesn't.

Power overhauls are a staple of the superhero genre, after all. 8-)

If she was immune to Suffocation, then she wouldn't qualify for a Vulnerability drawback like that in the first place.

Also, only Refs are supposed to post in submission threads.

*shoos Supercape out the door with a broom*

Shaen,

GREAT! I will fix up my current submission and contemplate what mayhem I could cause (er...um...curtail) with full blown Shapeshifting. For future reference, would my color limitation count as a full blown flaw, or would it only be considered a drawback for Shapeshifting?

*calls through the doorway to Supercape*

I think that the insubstantial essentially grants Immunity 1 (Suffocation, from strangulation/choking) since it says

You can automatically flow out of any restraint—such as a snare or grapple—that is not watertight.

you would simply flow right out of whatever it is that is strangling you (unless of course it has effects Insubstantial).

Insubstantial absolutely does not grant automatic Immunity to Suffocation. If you're caught in some sort of situation where you can't breath, then you start suffocating until you can slither your way out of it.

I would consider the color limitation to be a full-blown Flaw on Shapeshift, since it so greatly limits your disguise abilities (and thus, makes the inherent Morph bonus almost worthless), but I'll have to double-check with the rest of the Ref team before I can say for certain.

I had only meant strangulation, not suffocation in general, but it isn't really all that important to the current build.

Anyway, I think I am finally done. If some folks could give her a quick once over I would appreciate it.

• 1 month later...