MAWS (IC)

N/A

'I'm in the supply room. You have someone with you? And they're hurt. I'll be right there.' The two women heard the words in their head rather than aloud before the young woman herself came zipping around the corner to stop short at the sight of the battered octopus lady. Her expression knit in concern and she explained as she dropped to her feet, "You must be in a lot of pain. Its going to take me a few minutes to fix everything alright. Ask any questions you like, I can talk and work at the same time."

Psyche extended one hand out carefully and the sparkling glow that covered her extended out over Fusion, bringing with it a tingling and soothing numbness. With her expression creased in concentration, Psyche focused on rebuilding the woman on the cellular level.

"Do you have a phone?" Fusion repeated, growing more worried even as her limbs started to grow back. "I really need to call my husband." She took a breath, her chest rising and falling slowly, deliberately. "If he was watching on the news, he's going to be freaking out about now. My daughter too. She's nine, but they've got older kids in her summer program so the teachers might not think to turn the TV off...and my boss is probably wondering where I went when I took that trip to the beach..." She looked over as her arms began growing back, sinously weaving tentacles sprouting from where Psyche was working. "All the years I wanted those gone, and I thought I'd die when I saw what he'd done."

"It's okay, we'll get you a phone," Erin promised her again. "Just lay still for a minute though, while Psyche finishes patching you up. You'd rather be able to tell them you're already all fixed up and fine, right?" Just to be on the safe side, she put her hands on Fusion's shoulders to hold her down if necessary while Alex was working. "I didn't realize you'd moved out to Freedom City," she said, trying to make distracting conversation. "Why did you leave Portland?"

"That feels very odd..." The tentacles were sliding around the floor, whipping around Psyche and Wander, but not actually coming close. "I've had it happen before, it's OK. Getting healed up, I mean. Hey, can you fix the rest of me while you're in there?" she asked Psyche, shooting a glance her way. "I mean, patch things up so I can put the arms away if I need to." Turning to Wander, she added, "I got a really good job offer in Japan. They moved my whole family out there and paid me really good money." She winced. "But then they screwed me over and sold my name and my image, so I had to get out of there. Make sure you get good lawyers, kids."

"Of course. I just get the big stuff done first." Alex explained, before she moved from the regrowth to actually melding the surface injuries. She didn't flinch away as the tentacles whipped around her legs. If there was something Alex was good at, it was microfocus. When she'd coaxed all the cells to the proper pattern, she finally stepped away, sagging a bit, her fingertips going to her temple, "Done. Whoo...."

She leaned on Erin for a moment, already explaining, "I'm okay. I should just sit down for a sec. We'll get you the phone hand held if you'd like some privacy or you can just ask the computer to dial but that projects it out onto the speakers."

"That was really good," Erin told Alex, effortlessly supporting her as she guided her towards the chair behind the teleporter control. "Lemme get you something to drink. And you too," she told Fusion. "You lost a ton of blood, even if you're fixed up now. Your husband probably won't be too happy if you pass out from dehydration on the phone." She settled Alex in the chair, then darted down the hallway to the kitchen, moving much faster than a normal human, for all she was no speedster. In a moment she was back with a couple of bottles of electrolyte drink and a phone handset for Fusion.

"Thank you!" said Fusion to Alex and Erin both, keeping the electrolyte drink in one newly-regrown tentacle while she pulled out her phone and dialed quickly with another. As it turned out, Joan being Joan, she opted to dial her boss first. "Boss, it's me. I'm OK, I'm OK, I just got a little banged up when that big shark monster hit the beach. But I got the story, and I'm going to file as soon as I talk to some of the other survivors. Really, it's fine." A little while after that, she was on the phone to her husband, and that sounded like it was going a little more awkwardly.

"Well it's not my fault you had the TV on your desk on! C'mon, Charlie, it was just a really bad...really bad couple of minutes," she said, looking down at her restored arms. "Yeah, they're back, I hooked up with the kids from Young Freedom, and one of them helped me out...C'mon, honey, teen heroes are just as good as adults! You saw that clip of them fighting the Grue! These kids are all right."

While Fusion was busy talking her her husband, Erin headed down the hall again, this time to the locker room for a few towels. A shower would've been nice, as she was pretty sure she had some sand in her uniform, but it would have to wait. She was willing to bet that the octopus lady was going to want to head out soon anyway, so there'd be time after that. Briskly toweling her hair, she carried another couple of clean towels back to the teleporter room, to give to the rescuee and dry up the puddles of water on the floor.

"Okay, honey, I'll be home tonight just as soon as I get the story filed. I've got to get back to work." Joan hung up the phone and snatched the towel out of Erin's hand with a quick tentacle swipe, her costume peeling back from her face to expose the bronze-skinned woman underneath. "Whew, thank you. Even if I had a reason, I didn't want to walk around smelling like salt all day." She focused on Erin and Alex both as she talked, easily handling both conversation and action as her spare limbs used the towel to wipe her face dry. "You save my arms, I owe you my face," she said with a grin. "I'm Joan Collier, I work for the Ledger. You don't have to tell me your names if you don't want," she added, "but I figured you'd have pulled masks on if you were that excited about it."