Walk Softly and Carry a Collapsible Stick (IC)

Electra

--I can see the wisdom in training with those close to my skill level,-- Eve conceded,--Though I also like to tackle a challenge that is well outside my ability and push myself to reach that level.-- The telepath smiled, --Hope you don't mind Erin, but you're definitely that sort of challenge. Though I know I can't reach your level of strength I hope I can find some way to compensate so we can meet on somewhat equal footing.--

--As for Claremont, it's interesting. Not at all what I am used to, having dropped out of a formal school setting ages ago. But overall I like it.-- Eve made a sour face, --Except math, I have strong feelings about that.-- Brushing her hair back with one hand, Eve tilted her head to the side as she regarded Erin, --How about yourself? How long have you been attending this school?--

"I started last summer, right at the end of May," Erin told her, walking over to her duffel bag for her water bottle. "Alex and Mike and I all started at the same time. Mike's mom actually volunteered to pick me up at the airport since she was bringing them out anyway. It's pretty nice here, decent food and most of the people are okay. You have to work hard, but it keeps things from getting too boring. And math sucks everywhere, doesn't matter what school you go to," she added with a grin, then took a long drink. "Did you mostly have tutors, or are you super-smart like Alex?"

--Tutors. The training regime was pretty intense, so there wasn't any way I could fit an actual school into the picture,-- Eve replied as she followed Erin's lead and retrieved her own water bottle. --Not sure who Alex is but nobody has ever accused me of being super-smart. I mean I get by, but I was more interested in exploring the woods near the chateau or playing pranks on my cousins.-- she added, flashing a mischievous grin.

"Alex, Psyche, is my roommate," Erin explained. "She's a psychic too, and most of her powers are mental. She's a super-supergenius and has her own multimilliondollar company that we started on her computer over Christmas break. I have no idea how she did it, but she's got her own building and everything now. She pretty much hangs around the school to keep an eye on the rest of us, I think," she admitted with a smile. "Most of the rest of us are a lot more average in terms of school, so the classes are pretty close to what you'd get in normal high school."

--Oh? Cool, I hope I can formally meet her, maybe sit down and have a chat some day.-- Eve said while drinking a sip of water. --Though I imagine she and I are quite different. I'm a bit atypical, most of my abilities are close range.-- She waggled her fingers at Erin, --I need to touch you for them to work.--

"We don't do much formally around here," Erin said dryly, "but if anyone would, it'll be her. You'll see her around, I'm sure, and you'll know her when you see her. She's little, just a little bit taller than you, and she wears really, really bright colors. You'll probably know her when you see her. But watch out who you say that stuff about being all physical to," she warned half-seriously. "Mr. Archer likes nothing better than to hit you where you're weak and make you stretch. And if you're unlucky, you'll end up with the bruises and aches to show for it."

• 2 weeks later...
--Trainers like that love pushing their people, to get them to push through their limits and to squeak out as much performance and improvement as they can.-- Eve smiled as she ran a hand through her hair, a distant look on her face as if her thoughts were momentarily elsewhere. --Sounds a bit draconian,-- she continued, --and quite possibly a bit sadistic, but overall I think it pays off. Aches and bruises are bound to happen. What matters is if someone can summon up the willpower to push through all that.--

"If you mean that, you'll do just fine around here," Erin told her. She drained her water, then started packing up her duffel bag. "I've got to get going, or I'm going to be late. Maybe some other time you can teach me how you did that double sideways flip on the bar. I couldn't quite see how you did that. See you around, then?" She tossed her bag over her shoulder, ready to go.

--Sure thing,-- Eve said smiling. --I'm going to make the most out of this gym time. I'm a bit rusty and out of practice.-- With a casual wave goodbye, the gymnast turned to head back to the mats, though she paused for a moment and glanced back over her shoulder at Erin. --Hey, Erin. Thanks.--