"Concert Auditions. Second Floor, 2B" (IC)

Heritage

Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 at 2pm. Estelle de Havilland's Loft Apartment

What was she thinking? This was madness, plain and simple; she was in essence painting a large bull's eye on the roof of her building with this stunt. And yet somehow, it all felt right to Estelle, which made it even more scary. She had the run of her whole building, all her neighbors shipped off for the weekend on her tab, and she'd placed the nicer art pieces she owned into storage.

The blonde heroine had also stocked her fridge with beer, booze and soft drinks and laid out quite a spread of sweets, chips, dips and cold cuts. She also rented several amps, miles of cable and a full drum kit, and set up all three of her electrics and her one acoustic guitar on stands. She was barefoot in pair of relaxed-fit jeans and a well-worn Harvard T-shirt, her hair coiled in her preferred thick braid.

Estelle made a frozen pitcher of strawberry daiquiris in the kitchen area, poured herself a tall glass and then strolled to middle of the room, where she hopped up on one of several stools and began to tune her Gibson SG while she waited for the first arrivals. Her semi-furnished loft condo with its high ceilings and bare brick walls was about to receive a number of distinguished guests.

"Madness," she muttered to herself as she began to strum.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A light knock at the door interrupted Estelle's tuning. When she answered it, she discovered what was possibly the youngest of the guests she had invited. Eddie Ozan, front man for the up and coming band Octopus Dropkick and now known super hero Breakdown stood before her.

"Sup?" he asked excitedly, "I brought some stuff with me. I hope you don't mind." Though when Estelle looked out in the hallway, she discovered "some stuff" to be an understatement. "Figured I'd get here early and set up. Hope that's okay."

A few minutes later, Eddie had his equipment ready to go. With the help of Estelle, they quickly finished setting up an assortment of amps which were small, but easily had just as much sound quality as some of her larger equipment, and a set of turntables and DJ sound equipment. "See, from here, or anywhere else in the room thanks to my powers, I can basically control the way anyone who's hooked up sounds, making them sound better. Or worse, haha!" Eddie joked.

"Should we get this party started?" Eddie pointed his finger at the turtables and the clicked on. Music now emanating from the most acoustically beneficial speakers in the room.

Another knock is heard at the door, barely audible over the sound of the speakers. On the other side, a young man who looks about as old as a college student. "Hi! The name's Kurt. I'm here for the auditions."

He walked in, tapping his foot to the beat of the music playing over the speakers, with his hands tapping his thighs in rhythm. He looked around the room, checking out the speakers, looking at how everything is hooked up and smiling. "You have great stuff here, kid." He stood up, talking to Eddie. "I'm surprised to see the high-end stuff for simple auditions." He extended his hand to him with a big smile on his face. "You really seem to know your stuff. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He walked around a bit more, looking at the speakers, then stopped and extended a hand to Estelle. "So, I'm assuming you're the one organizing the concert, right? I play the Drums. Where should I set up? I don't actually have a band, but I'd be happy to help out any bands that need some percussion."

"[divine]Hm,[/divine]" Moira thought aloud to herself when she heard the announcement, "[divine]I can do this, right? I mean I did have a little bit of training with everything. Plus I've never performed publicly. It'll be fun![/divine]" Sometime later, she was there. And so were other people. People with equipment. Should she have brought some? She'd have to ask the hostess. She walked into the apartment with a smile. "[divine]Hello, folks![/divine]" she greeted them happily, "[divine]So, I hear there's a concert tryout? Anything you need? I'm sure I can fill in a spot somewhere.[/divine]"

"See, from here, or anywhere else in the room thanks to my powers, I can basically control the way anyone who's hooked up sounds, making them sound better. Or worse, haha!"

Estelle nodded enthusiastically. "That's wonderful Eddie, and I'm so glad you could make it! I think having someone your age on stage will really strike a chord with the audience."

During here brief tenure as a teacher at Claremont, she's heard stories about the young man's amazing way with music and sound, and she was genuinely intrigued to see what he could do. So far, she was not disappointed.

"So, I'm assuming you're the one organizing the concert, right? I play the Drums. Where should I set up? I don't actually have a band, but I'd be happy to help out any bands that need some percussion."

The blonde heroine strode over to Kurt, one hand resting on her Gibson and the other extended in greeting. "Yes, I'm Estelle de Havilland, the concert organizer. Welcome, Kurt. Uh, why don't you set up your kit over there? Feel free to cannibalize the rented kit over there if you wish, just remember to put it back when your done."

"[divine]Hello, folks![/divine]" she greeted them happily, "[divine]So, I hear there's a concert tryout? Anything you need? I'm sure I can fill in a spot somewhere.[/divine]"

There could be no mistaking the woman who just entered the loft; Estelle instantly recognized her from the pages of the Daily Word (What? Everyone reads it!), but it was quite obvious that no mere photograph could encompass the goddess's beauty and charm. It took all of her mother's training to keep the sheer astonishment of her face, and instead compose it a genial smile as she held out her hand.

"My goodness, you could only be Divine! I didn't realize you were musical!" The beautiful chemist only now became aware of the fact that her magnificent golden hair had, seemingly of its own volition, unfurled behind her, framing her figure to the best possible effect.

Oh good grief... :roll:

At that moment, there was a knock on Gossamer's window. Turning to look, the people inside saw an angel flying outside, a city street map clutched in his hand. "Hello!" Freedom Angel called through the window, not recognizing any of the heroes inside. "Is this 2B? Or 2A? I'm here for the auditions." Even on the hot day with the air running, his voice was clearly audible through the glass: Heyzel had a loud voice!

"Know my stuff?" Eddie questioned, "Please. I know ALL the stuff. There isn't a single person in this entire city that knows more about music than I do." Eddie declared proudly. "Go ahead, try me. Ask me anything."

Estelle nodded enthusiastically. "That's wonderful Eddie, and I'm so glad you could make it! I think having someone your age on stage will really strike a chord with the audience."

"Ohhhh I get it! That's a music joke, right?" Eddie gave Estelle a very broad, 'you see what I did there?' smile.

"So what do you think, do you want me to make a list of performers in order? I can mix a pretty mean set list, you know. I'll need to see a little of what everyone's got before the audience gets here, though."

The blonde heroine strode over to Kurt, one hand resting on her Gibson and the other extended in greeting. "Yes, I'm Estelle de Havilland, the concert organizer. Welcome, Kurt. Uh, why don't you set up your kit over there? Feel free to cannibalize the rented kit over there if you wish, just remember to put it back when your done."

Kurt shakes her hand enthusiastically. "Thanks, but that won't be necessary." He moved the drum against the wall, giving him room to work, then walks over to Eddie again.

"Know my stuff?" Eddie questioned, "Please. I know ALL the stuff. There isn't a single person in this entire city that knows more about music than I do." Eddie declared proudly. "Go ahead, try me. Ask me anything."

"Oh I believe you, but just because someone knows music doesn't mean they know tech. I've seen a lot of good musicians suffer from bad wiring and equipment. Heck, I've improved GOOD musicians' wiring and made them sound even better, but I gotta say, you have yourself a really good setup. I can't wait to see what you do for the actual concert, but now, I should set up."

Kurt walks over to his little empty space and starts glowing. Seven small sparks leave his hands and each one hits the ground. With a small flash, the sparks reform to create a glowing blue-green energy drum kit. Two more sparks form in his hands. He closes them and forms a pair of drumsticks, which he proceeds to twirl in his fingers. "Well, I'm all ready!" He tests each drum and cymbal, making sure they sound right. He adjusts their sizes as necessary, slightly altering their sounds.

At that moment, there was a knock on Gossamer's window. "Is this 2B? Or 2A? I'm here for the auditions."

He looks out the window, a bit startled. "2B! Come on in!" And just in case she couldn't hear him, he forms the sentence with a few more sparks to let her read it.

"Hello, folks!"

"Hello!"

How very nice of the hostess. Moira couldn't help but take a short look over of the attractive lady. What was she to say? She was a connoisseur. It was short enough that she didn't notice her checking her out. "[divine]Of course, Doctor de Havilland. Performance is one of my passions. You've attracted me to a veritable Elysium. All for a good cause too.[/divine]" She winked, "[divine]All that and you look stunning today.[/divine]" The angel came knocking at the window and she snickered, what a way to make an entrance.

Dragonfly'd arrived just a little behind Moira - a behind she had a little envy of - but had spent several minutes out in the hallway, trying very hard not to think about that many friendly people in one spot. Stupid. Not a concern. Good cause, socializing beneficial, get in the room.

And she did. Violin case in one hand, the other pulling a case entirely too big for her stature (though thankfully with wheels built into the bottom), she edged through the door. "I...not too late, I hope? A little delayed. Double bass does not fit on a motorcycle...still working out problems with spacial pocket." She tilted her head, looking a little unfocused (though with the visor obscuring half her face, it was hard to tell). "The test object came back out in twelve pieces. Violently. Glad I didn't start with something valuable."

She snapped out of it, shaking her head. "Sorry. Tangents. Not...used to people. Is there a free corner I can claim to do tuning?"

"Oh I believe you, but just because someone knows music doesn't mean they know tech. I've seen a lot of good musicians suffer from bad wiring and equipment. Heck, I've improved GOOD musicians' wiring and made them sound even better, but I gotta say, you have yourself a really good setup. I can't wait to see what you do for the actual concert, but now, I should set up."

"Well," Eddie began, "I hate to disappoint you, but I'm the best there ever was. That's a lyrical reference, by the way. Anyways, I'm a professional DJ in addition to being a performance artist. I have to know my tech." Eddie handed his new friend a business card.

DJ JUKE

555-2467

"No birthday parties, please." Eddie help up a dismissive hand, with a sarcastic smile.

She snapped out of it, shaking her head. "Sorry. Tangents. Not...used to people. Is there a free corner I can claim to do tuning?"

"Actually, you can bring it over here." Eddie waved her over. "I can tune it for you. My body acts as it's own little tuning machine. Quite handy sometimes. I'm Eddie by the way."

Dammit! Hope I'm not too late. Warren thought as he stepped up to the door and knocked, arm feeling a little sore lugging his guitar case around with him. He didn't bother getting dressed up or anything, that would be a little stupid. All he really wore was his black Nile T-Shirt, jeans and some comfortable shoes. Didn't look much like the superhero he was recently outted as. "Hey. Auditions here?" He asked as he the door opened. Looking in, he spotted a familiar face. "Eddie! Finally made it man." Surprising his voice managed to get through the music playing.

."Hope you're not overloaded with guitarists already." He asked, trying to grab every shred of willpower not to start starring at the Red Head not far from his line of sight. There were others but he didn't place them right away. It would come to him in time.

"Actually, you can bring it over here." Eddie waved her over. "I can tune it for you. My body acts as it's own little tuning machine. Quite handy sometimes. I'm Eddie by the way."

auto-tuning biology - maybe a feedback system - power source? music not unheard of as magic - creative synthesis unlikely in technological - mutations always random factor "...sure." She nodded her head, pulling the case behind her and propping it up near him, if a little off to the side. "Dragonfly, by the way. I am, I mean." Setting the violin on the nearest available surface she carefully undid some locks and pulled out a beautiful antique double bass. "Careful with him. He's very old."

"I'm Eddie, or Breakdown. I kinda go by both now. Ever since Maestro broke up Battle of the Bands in Riverside Park a while back." Eddie offered his hand, "Pleased to meet you."

"Now lets see here...He?" Eddie was always amused by how people assigned genders to their instruments. He did it too. It was like naming a ship. It had to be done. "He got a name?"

Eddie propped the double bass up in front of him, and sat on a stool. He leaned the instrument into his shoulder and selected the bow out of the case. He ran it along the strings a few times. He felt the resonance play through him. It was a good instrument. Produced a fine tone. But it was a little off. He adjusted a few things here and there, and soon the instrument was playing better than it ever had before.

Then, Eddie began playing it. He struck up a tune that everyone in the room might know. Then as the opening was finished, he spun the instrument on its stand and it found it's way into Dragonfly's hands. "He's all yours. Take it away. Coome on, everyone, you've got to know this one!"

"We're leaving together

But it's still a farewell..."

Kurt pocketed the card and smirked. "I'll keep that in mind," he said as he sat down behind his energy kit. He played them a bit, drumming along to the song coming out of the speakers. As he did he gave Dragonfly a smiling nod as a hello. As Warren walked in, Kurt cocked an eyebrow. recognizing the man from somewhere, but he wasn't sure where. He dismissed it as coincidence and stopped drumming as the song ended. Good warm-up.

As Eddie tuned the bass, Kurt couldn't help but look at it. It was a stunning instrument. He had seen some antiques in Italy, but nothing like the one she had. "Wow. How old is it?"

Eddie starts the song up as Kurt finishes the question. He smirks at the familiar tune and quickly joins in with the song--sprinkling some cymbals into the beginning, "I like this kid!" and coming in strong when the time is right. Kurt jumps in with full enthusiasm, keeping the time and improvising a bit when appropriate.

"Aw come on Talya it'll be fun." Ace wheedled, "Like that music hall in Munich in 45." He suggested with a wide grin. "We can just put in a an appearance wow them and be gone." he promised in a silken tone. As he saw he reluctance wane he grinned wide and pulled a rather old looking cellular device from one pocket. He shot her a wink, "Just gonna retask the Aegis rapid response net real quick." he said and suddenly a glowing portal sliced through the air and he drug Talya through into the small clear space remaining in the room.

"Not too late I hope." he said with a wide smile as he surveyed the room full of musicians.

Estelle had also stocked her fridge with beer, booze and soft drinks and laid out quite a spread of sweets, chips, dips and cold cuts. She also rented several amps, miles of cable and a full drum kit, and set up all three of her electrics and her one acoustic guitar on stands.

Estelle thought she heard a machinegun fire downstairs, but she realized it was footsteps when a fiery-haired teen girl ran appeared in her doorway. She looked the part of a "rock star": a plaid flannel longsleeve button-up over a black babydoll-t adorned with the logo from Fear Factory's "Demanufacture" album, and a pair of denim jeans that had been (messily) cut off and transformed into short-shorts over black fishnet tights, which terminated under leather combat boots. Her bracelets, choker, and belt were all black-leather, chrome-spiked mirror images of each other. She carried a guitar case in one hand, empty and swinging open, presumably having been host a moment ago to the blue Dean Z electric guitar now slung across her chest and hanging at her side.

[bg=#000080]"Hey, these are the auditions, right? Yeah, instruments, music, duh. Hey, food! Razor!"[/bg] She disappeared, reappearing an eyeblink later at the far end of the table. Roughly one-third of the spread was now missing in action and presumed eaten. She seemed to teleport like this a few more times, in front of the fridge (where more valiant bottles fell in battle against the ravenous teenage hordes), then next to Estelle. A fraction of a second after the girl appeared next to her, Estelle could hear the sound of her bathroom sink being turned on and immediately off, the toilet flushing, and the door being opened and closed, all simultaneously. The scent of Estelle's liquid handsoap wafted up into her nostrils.

[bg=#000080]"Hey, this your place? Oh, awesome, you've got amps. Hi, I'm Z. Hey, is that acoustic open to the public? Great snacks, B-Tee-Dub. Oh, and it's just me, which is cool, but if you've got any orphan drummers bouncing around, or even a backup guitarist if we wanna get really fancy, I wouldn't turn one down."[/bg]

"He's all yours. Take it away. Come on, everyone, you've got to know this one!"

"We're leaving together

Zoe's face fell. [bg=#000080]"Farking great. Of course, not even a tour schedule and the Atlantic Ocean itself could stand between any F.C. musical event and the gravitational pull of Eddie Ozan's planet-sized ego."[/bg]

Ace was dragging a blonde by the arm before she straightened up looking somewhere between amused and resigned. She pointed out in a bit of a nonsequitor to those who hadn't been privy to the earlier discussion, "You got shot in Munich in '45 if memory serves correctly. Please forgive my compatriot's ill manners. He's having trouble passing that drivers test they mandate for senior citizens. I'm Natalya Browning and this... Oh, well, that probably doesn't actually need to be said."

As he swung through from rooftop to rooftop, the sound of music and massive wingbeats caused Jack of all Blades to turn his head just in time to see what looked to be an honest-to-goodness angel entering an apartment window. Hello... Releasing his grapple midswing, the swashbuckler performed a series of death defying acrobatics to land nimbly on the open windowsill. Peering inside, he blinked. "Doc de Havilland? And -- woah, like everybody." Jack frowned and folded his arms. "Are you guys having a prevent-the-end-of-the-world team-up without inviting me? 'Cause seriously, manners, guys."

Eddie had taken off with the first impromptu performance of the night with earnest.

"And maybe we'll come back

To earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame

We're leaving ground

Will things ever be the same again?"

Zoe's face fell. [bg=#000080]"Farking great. Of course, not even a tour schedule and the Atlantic Ocean itself could stand between any F.C. musical event and the gravitational pull of Eddie Ozan's planet-sized ego."[/bg]

"..." For the first time in his life, Eddie actually forgot the lyrics to a song. This was even more astonishing due to the lyrics he was forgetting was the refrain. "Zoe?! I...Crap. What are you doing here?"

"He got a name?"

Dragonfly frowned a little. "He...no. He's new. To me. And I don't know if I'll be naming my instruments. Unless they were able to talk back." interesting project - light AI strong AI too large for installation without altering sound - shaped case to preserve harmonics - study sonic alteration - spacial pocket connection - interface difficult and interesting challenge

Then, Eddie began playing it. He struck up a tune that everyone in the room might know. Then as the opening was finished, he spun the instrument on its stand and it found it's way into Dragonfly's hands. "He's all yours. Take it away. Coome on, everyone, you've got to know this one!"

"We're leaving together

She tilted her head at him, and from her body language it was good odds she was looking at him blankly. When she spoke it was mostly to herself. "...don't think I know that one. Know very little composed music. ...didn't get out much."

[bg=#000080]"Hey, these are the auditions, right? Yeah, instruments, music, duh. Hey, food! Razor!"[/bg] She disappeared, reappearing an eyeblink later at the far end of the table. Roughly one-third of the spread was now missing in action and presumed eaten. She seemed to teleport like this a few more times, in front of the fridge (where more valiant bottles fell in battle against the ravenous teenage hordes), then next to Estelle. A fraction of a second after the girl appeared next to her, Estelle could hear the sound of her bathroom sink being turned on and immediately off, the toilet flushing, and the door being opened and closed, all simultaneously. The scent of Estelle's liquid handsoap wafted up into her nostrils.

Dragonfly turned her attention to the...curious collection of noises, and the girl who'd apparently made them. She tilted her head, studying. speedster? teleportation? - visor could analyze if it worked - bad idea blinding if turned on, prioritize fix - joint strain casual stance mutation? compound exposure? some precedent - attractive - will research later

"Well, it certainly is very crowded in here." Seeing two faces he recognized, the angel of Freedom made his awkward way through the crowd to Ace and Talya. "Hello," he said in a sociable way. "There are many more teenagers here than I expected," he commented quietly when the music stopped. He winced as he studied the relationship between the young man and young woman. "Ah, something vile happened there..."

Warren was starting to feel himself progressively pushed towards one of the far corners of the room as the place started to fill up. He was almost about to join in where zoe showed up. Oh damn...Why do I get the feeling this is gonna end badly?" He thought with a weary expression as shock took hold of Eddie.

"No kidding." Rift muttered in reply to Freedom angel, but carefully wove the reply to him and away from most of the occupants in the room. Last thing everyone needed was a fight in a place this small.

"..." For the first time in his life, Eddie actually forgot the lyrics to a song. This was even more astonishing due to the lyrics he was forgetting was the refrain. "Zoe?! I...Crap. What are you doing here?"

[bg=#0000BF]"Oh, I just ran up here to use the bathroom. But then I saw the spread, and figured 'Hey, free food!' Then I met Blondie here, and we stated trading hair-care tips..."[/bg] Zoe grabbed at the guitar hanging from her shoulder and held it up into the air. [bg=#0000BF]"Or, hey, maybe I answered an ad for an open audition, 'cause, y'know, I'm a local musician, and not just The Great Eddie Ozan's Sloppy Seconds. Farking dumbass. Remind me again what I saw in you? No, wait, don't. If I don't do my own homework, I won't learn anything."[/bg] She turned back to Estelle. [bg=#0000BF]"So, how bad is being stupid enough to jump into bed with Sprak-For-Brains up there gonna hurt my chances, anyway?"[/bg]

Ace laughed lightly to Heyzel, "When it comes to teen romance vileness is all but assured." he said with a wink. He rolled his eyes at Talya, "Well yes but thats not too likely here and I did get better." he replied with a grin before turning his attention to the burgeoning drama in the center of the room gauging if Dr. De Haviland had it handled or needed a more diplomatic solution.