"Concert Auditions. Second Floor, 2B" (IC)

Heritage

Arrrhhhhgg! Eddie wanted to tear his hair out. It had been a month, almost. Even he didn't deserve this. Don't suppose if I ignore her, she'll go away? Eddie swallowed. Hard.

[bg=#0000BF]"So, how bad is being stupid enough to jump into bed with Sprak-For-Brains up there gonna hurt my chances, anyway?"[/bg]

"It shouldn't. I'm not actually trying out. I just figured I come out and have some fun playing music. God forbid." He shot a look at Freedom Angel, "No offense." He said with a wave of his hand. Then he turned back to Zoe. "Nice guitar. New?"

Just keep rubbing it in, Zoe. You'll get tired of it eventually, I hope.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, sweet Christ, Ace. This place is full of teenagers." Talya muttered to him as she scooted around, feeling for once out of place in her retro-40s style clothing and peep toes. "You could have told me. I'd have dug out my jeans and my angst for this. Oh, hello, Heyzel. It's good to see another... adult in the mix. I wasn't aware that you were musically inclined. I do actually enjoy the sounds of a lap harp or are you more of a trumpet angel?"

Talya asked it politely, keeping any sort of mirth to herself as she wasn't really laughing at the angel, more the absurdity of the entire situation.

"All angels can sing," said Heyzel with just a little pride, "though I am no more inclined than the average. I once sang in the Celestial Choir," he said, "but I was only one voice in a chorus of uncounted vigintillions. To sing with my own voice alone would be...well, it would be very fine." He shot a look at the arguing teenagers and said, "I'd planned to sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which was always one of my favorites. And you?" he asked Talya and Ace.

With Eddie's singing coming to a screeching halt, and noticing that no one else is playing, Kurt drums himself into a simple drum loop. From there, he stops, figuring the apartment was going to get very crowded very quickly. He dismissed his energy kit to make some more room, finding himself in the back of the room, witnessing the teen squabble between Eddie and Zoe. He couldn't help but smirk a bit. He knew high school drama all too well. High school wasn't that long ago. He walks over to what is left of the snack spread, makes himself a small energy bowl, and gives himself a few chips to eat. He took them back to his open drumming spot and watched the drama unfold as if it were a soap opera, with his feet still tapping a beat.

In no time at all, Estelle found her loft was full of superhumans...in fact, more superhumans than she had ever seen in one place, and they were all moving about her things, and making wonderful music, and devouring-

Dear Lord, that child can eat! :shock:

Well, she had been worried about leftovers, after all. It was thrilling and a little scary. She waved at Ace and Jack of All Blades when she saw them (the former in the company of a very attractive blonde with exquisite taste in fashion), but then the girl with the mile-a-minute mouth seemed to be rehashing a bad breakup (and fairly recent, for the sound of it) with Breakdown, and it was all too much...

"Enough!"

Gossamer's hair shot between Eddie and Zoe, forming a thick golden wall six feet high. She looked sternly in turn at both teens.

"Now I take it the two of you have a history? Is this something you can work around, or is this the sort of bloody, life-or-death struggle one sees on Animal Planet?"

"Nice guitar. New?"

[bg=#0000BF]"Go fark yourself, Eddie."[/bg] Zoe turned back to Estelle. [bg=#0000BF]"Just lemmee know when I'm up, razor? I'm-a help myself to one of those daqs. I won't tell if you won't."[/bg]

Zoe turned toward the drinks in back, but she was sidetracked by a familiar, but no less awe-inspiring sight. [bg=#0000BF]"HOLY FARKING SPRAK!"[/bg] Her jaw dropped open as her arm shot up to point at Heyzel. [bg=#0000BF]"ANGEL! I saw you! At the Invasion riots! All wrath-of-God fire-from-the-sky an' stuff! It was totally metal."[/bg] :rock:

Fascinated, Jack gracefully swung himself into the loft, moving over to the food and helping himself, watching the unfolding drama. He recognized a few faces; the good doctor, for one, who seemed to be the hostess here, and Ace and Talya on the other side of the room. There was the energy manipulator from the battle at the hospital, and there was Breakdown being torn a new one by another teenager. "Heh, teenagers," the swordsman mumbled to himself around a mouthful of food, leaning om the table. "Better'n daytime TV."

As the drama broke out Dragonfly looked more and more trapped, edging backwards towards the wall and practically begging for a distraction. The moment the wall of hair went up - interesting - tactile telekinesis? nanotechnology, magic, alien biology - she lifted her double bass back into its case, grabbed her violin, and slowly edged away along the wall, pulling her things behind her. Stashing them at what she considered 'minimum safe distance', she quietly made her way to the food table and grabbed a plate.

"Heh, teenagers," the swordsman mumbled to himself around a mouthful of food, leaning om the table. "Better'n daytime TV."

She frowned, piling a little of anything she could reach onto her plate, an eye on the conflict. "Don't see the appeal. Increasingly glad I missed it."

"Try living around it." Warren muttered to Jack as he managed t grab a few chips himself and watch the arguing continue. He hosestly wished it would stop, though that annoying "Watch a train wreck happen" part of his brain was starting to kick in. At some point, I should consider trying to stop those guys from fighting and at least start acting civ-Ow. Warren Winced and crushed some chips in his hands as a stab of pain when through his skull. Somewhere in his mind, that thought hurt him. Literally. Not that it was beyond salvageable, it just...Hurt for no reason.

...That was weird.

Out of chips, Kurt walks back over to the table for some more food, and this time, a drink. He poured himself some soda into a self-made-energy cup and sipped it. His mother had always told him, jokingly, to not "Drink and Fly." It was a joke, but he thought it was a pretty good idea anyway. He takes out a few more cups and holds up the bottle. "Anyone else want a drink?" He pours a few cups and offers them to the guests around him at the table. He extended a hand to shake for Jack. "Hey! Jack, right? I haven't seen you around since the Hospital. How've you been holding up? I didn't know you were a musician."

[bg=#0000BF]"Go fark yourself, Eddie."[/bg]

Ugh, should not have said that. Eddie winced and sighed again. He couldn't let this continue. He tried out one of his new tricks. Reaching out with his radio senses, he found just the right frequency. The pickups on the guitar that Zoe was holding began to vibrate as the picked up the feed directly from Eddie's head so that she and only she could hear what he was about to say. Come on Z. Hate me all you want, but not here. We're in public, and a guest in someone's house. Can't we just let this drop for now?

Eddie turned to Estelle and used the same trick on the guitar she was holding. She deserved to know what was going on, but there was no real reason to involve the rest of the room. The pickups on the guitar she was holding vibrated, and she heard Eddie's voice. I'm really sorry about this. Problem is, when your ex-girlfriend is just as good at making music as you are, you tend to have all the same hangouts. I thought I wouldn't see her the one night I decided to zap back to Freedom City for an open audition I heard about from a friend. He turned to gaze at the wall of hair that separated the two of them, seemingly trying to look through it. What are the chances, right? Hope no one is trying to set something up, here. Anyways, I've been trying to work past it for almost a month now. I'm not going to throw the first stone here. What happened happened because of both of us. If you want me to leave, I will. It's your loft and your choice. But if I stay, I promise I won't start anything, and I'll try and hold my tongue. I can't promise the same for her, though. More and more it just seems like she's trying to be purposely belligerent about things.

Eddie took the time to shoot a quick message to Warren as well. Dude. What are the chances? What should I do, besides just grin and bear it. She doesn't seem to want to let things get better.

"Alright everyone. Show's over. Nothing to see here." He addressed the crowded room. "Now, I for one feel like getting this show on the road. Estelle, you're hosting this thing. How do you want to handle this? Should we just go up and play something random whenever we feel like it, or did you have a plan in mind for us?"

"Least it keeps things interesting," Jack grinned easily at the girl with the violin and the boy with the guitar. "You two from Claremont, too? Fill a guy in with a little 'Last time on,' huh?" The fencer was more than a little curious about what Jukebox had done to upset the loudmouthed teen off so badly.

Focusing on the strawberry blonde teen for a moment, he suppressed a frown. The girl made his skin tingle with the same kind of tactile deja vu that Downtime of the Crime League had. Not superspeed, not like Eli has, anyway. Seems like it works the same, though. Hrrm. Jack's nose wrinkled involuntarily as he caught a faint wiff of overripe raspberries Gah, Terminus juice, too? Must be a Baby like Half Pint. Unless she's like Mo'. Should really study up on this stuff. He filed away the information, making a note to ask Archeville about it at some point. Better keep Zippette's name out of it, though. Doc's been getting a little test tube happy lately.

Refocusing, he turned to the brown haired man. "Oh, hey, Spark Jones or something, right? Guy with the lightshow, good to see you." At the other man's question he looked around, an eyebrow raising above his bandanna mask. "Musician? Is that what's going on here?"

"Oh, hey, Spark Jones or something, right? Guy with the lightshow, good to see you." At the other man's question he looked around, an eyebrow raising above his bandanna mask. "Musician? Is that what's going on here?"

Kurt laughs at the name. "Haha, no. You can call me Kurt. Hero name's Sparksmith. Honestly, either one works. It doesn't matter. He takes a sip of his drink again. "But yeah. Estelle's holding some sort of charity concert, and we're holding the tryouts in here."

He forms his energy drum stick and twirls them in his fingers. "Should be a lot of fun. What did you think was happening here?"

"Now, I for one feel like getting this show on the road.

"Finally, someone's speaking my language. Let's have some fun and get the music flowing!"

"Least it keeps things interesting," Jack grinned easily at the girl with the violin and the boy with the guitar. "You two from Claremont, too? Fill a guy in with a little 'Last time on,' huh?" The fencer was more than a little curious about what Jukebox had done to upset the loudmouthed teen off so badly.

Mara tilted her head, popping a bit of food into her mouth. delicious - recipe? - Claremont - school drama? would explain quite a bit - in theory no experience - missed out on important parts of early life? yes but will have to do without "....no. Suspect I know less than you do." She frowned, popping a bit of food into her mouth while she listened to Eddie's address. "Unfamiliar with this sort of thing in general. Hard to infer."

Come on Z. Hate me all you want, but not here. We're in public, and a guest in someone's house. Can't we just let this drop for now?

Zoe brought her ear down to her guitar to better hear Eddie's whispers. Then she flicked her fingers against the guitar strings with a *THWACK!* and used the same hand in one fluid motion to flip Eddie the bird. She sped back toward the kitchen, almost faster than the eye could follow, passing through Estelle's hair, and any other person or obstacle in her path, as if they weren't there. Well, it was more like she wasn't there.

She stopped by Warren for a briefly moment on her way. [bg=#0000BF]"Just wanted you to know, I'm cool with you. Even if you think I'm a total bitch, it's not you I've ever had a problem with"[/bg] she whispered at him. He barely had time to reply before she zoomed off.

[bg=#0000BF]"Now let's get those creative juices flowing,"[/bg] she mused to herself in the kitchen as she poured a strawberry daquiri.

Eddie was unable to see the obscene gesture through the wall of hair that still divided them, but knowing Zoe, he had a feeling his tactic didn't work. Well, BD, ya tried. That's all anyone can ask, right?

Eddie swiveled on his stool and pointed a finger at the DJ table he'd set up. It clicked to life seemingly of it's own accord. He selected a song that could easily be background music for the affair without needing to pay attention to it. "That'll just be to get us going till we figure out what the process is here."

Jack grinned easily at the girl with the violin and the boy with the guitar. "You two from Claremont, too? Fill a guy in with a little 'Last time on,' huh?"

"Very messy breakup." and a little attempted Vehicular Manslaughter, but the Whole World doesn't need to know that fact Warren eventually said as he finally felt the pain fade away and his left eyes stopped twitching uncontrollably. "But yeah, Claremont. Names Warren, but I'm better know as Rift." As far as jack could tell, Warren was still getting use to telling people that fact.

He ducked down and opened his guitar case. "Well, looks like that has cooled down for now. Lets get started on what we all came here do to." He said with a grin and he pulled a pick from his pocket and started doing some rapid tuning on his guitar until the pitch was perfect to his ears.

Jack gave Kurt a bemused shrug. "Hey, you see this many supers together outside of a team, usually means planet-eating space locusts or vengeful lava men from the future or something." The swordsman raised a fist in mock outrage, adding largely to himself, "Damn future lava men, stealing all our women."

When the guitar carrying teen briefly explained the social metldown and introduced himself, the fencer snorted. "Pfft, no kidding. Jack of all Blades," he indicated in turn, heaving an exaggerated sigh. "I should warn you, as a Claremont kid, you're pretty much contractually obligated to hate me so, y'know, be ready for that." Folding the arms of the royal blue greatcoat, he looked expectantly to the gathered musicians, curious as to what they had planned.

Ace watched the conflict flare and seemingly resolve with the long suffering detachment his admittedly jaded perspective demanded. He gave Jack a small wave as the swordsman crept in and shrugged to Natalya, "Well I was told it was a meeting and try out for a charity concert," HE said flatly as he glanced around, "Apparently the meaning of that has changed somewhat." HE flashed her a grin, "I do apologize I usually keep better abreast of such things."

Jack gave Kurt a bemused shrug. "Hey, you see this many supers together outside of a team, usually means planet-eating space locusts or vengeful lava men from the future or something." The swordsman raised a fist in mock outrage, adding largely to himself, "Damn future lava men, stealing all our women."

"Oh man, that's all too true. I remember this one time while I was sword training in Italy... Giant Robot Lobsters. That wasn't all that fun. Luckily we had a Water-Controller around...she cooked up up real good." Kurt smirked at the memory, "But lava people are things I'd like to avoid if at all possible."

...better know as Rift."

He ducked down and opened his guitar case. "Well, looks like that has cooled down for now. Lets get started on what we all came here do to." He said with a grin and he pulled a pick from his pocket and started doing some rapid tuning on his guitar until the pitch was perfect to his ears.

"Hey! I thought you looked familiar! How's it going, Rift? I should have expected a guitarist of your caliber to be here." He extends a hand to shake his, happy to find another ally.

"Fabulous," Talya drawled before reaching up to unfasten her jacket and looked for a place to hang it out of the way of cheetos and soda pop. "Well, if nothing else, it will remind me once again while I've avoided parenthood in my long years for at least another decade. Always a good thing to hit the snooze on that little biological clock."

She slanted a smile at the angel, ducking around his wings to tuck her clothing out of the way before rejoining the men, "I do look forward to your audition, Heyzel. I'm sure that will be just lovely. Far better than God Save the Queen. Fond of the lovely lady as I am, its really a terrible anthem. Droning. Rather like an Episcopal ceremony."

Such emotions coming from the young adults. Moira could only stand and watch as the scene played out. It was fascinating, watching the two quarrel. She was reminded of her last spat. That poor man. She could only imagine what happened to that guy she left on the Mount. It was probably not pretty at all. Well, on to other things! The cute hostess was stressed. Maybe Moira needed to calm her down. Walking up behind her, she lightly caressed Estelle's cheek and whispered in her ear, "[divine]Dr de Havilland? The drama is over. You can put your hair down.[/divine]"

It did seem that things were starting to resolve themselves, and the tension was starting to leave the room; in fact, the teen drama might have given them all a bit of charge. Still a bit leery, Estelle was ready to lower her barrier (clearly it wouldn't have stopped the blonde rocker girl anyway), when suddenly she felt gentle fingers on her face and someone breathed in her ear.

"[divine]Dr de Havilland? The drama is over. You can put your hair down.[/divine]"

The mass of Gossamer's golden hair began to ripple, then surge, and finally twisted itself into a writhing sea of curls before it snapped into a thick braid that hung all the way down the chemist's back. Very pink in the cheeks, she turned to Divine.

"Ah, yes, it seems that...things have returned to normal, and calm has descended upon my loft. Excellent! I'm just going to have another daiquiri, and then-" As she approached the pitcher in the ice bucket, she saw the young firebrand from moments before pouring herself a large alcoholic beverage. Happy to be able to hide her flustered state beneath a paternal veneer, she put her hands on her hips and scowled.

"Miss 'Z', was it? What exactly do you think your doing?"

"Well, you haven't done anything that would bring me to smack this guitar over you're head yet so I don't think I'll be doing much hating....Well, yet anyway." The young guitarist said as he quickly finished tuning his guitar. It didn't need as much as the thought it would, but he like to be sure. He did pause for a second until his brain finally clicked when he remembered Sparksmith.

"Oh hey man." Warren said as he shook his hand. "Nice to see you again. You look much better than last time." He said with a smile.

"That's only true for some queens, anyway," Heyzel admitted to Talya. "But that's another story. As for the Episcopals, I've always found a certain tranquility about the more High-Anglican varieties: if one must have ritual in faith, it shouldn't be scrimped on." Tucking his wings in carefully, he kept a close eye on the crowd, confirming the speculation shot his way from the loud young woman with the fast mouth about his nature with a simple, "Yes, I am an angel."