Trick-or-Treat! (OOC)

Barnum

Freedom Eagle hits again with another full-on power attack. Barnum, Freedom Eagle is continuing to move out of the creature's reach as much as possible; he can move 5000' in a move action, after all, and he'll stay as high as necessary to avoid the attacks the monster is using. One thing he will do is keep himself between the creature and the other heroes, or at least the civilians; if it's going to hit anything, or be focused on anything, it's going to be the flying guy.

(At least, that's the plan...)

You still haven't told me how high up you going to fly or in which direction. You certainly can't keep yourself between the monster and the other heroes and fly "up into the stratosphere" at the same time. I just need you to tell me which square on the map your above, and how high above it you are at the end of your move. :)

I'm going to be out most of the day. I may or may not get to update tonight. :oops:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom Eagle hits again with another full-on power attack. Barnum, Freedom Eagle is continuing to move out of the creature's reach as much as possible; he can move 5000' in a move action, after all, and he'll stay as high as necessary to avoid the attacks the monster is using. One thing he will do is keep himself between the creature and the other heroes, or at least the civilians; if it's going to hit anything, or be focused on anything, it's going to be the flying guy.

You still haven't told me how high up you going to fly or in which direction. You certainly can't keep yourself between the monster and the other heroes and fly "up into the stratosphere" at the same time. I just need you to tell me which square on the map your above, and how high above it you are at the end of your move. :)

I'm going to be out most of the day. I may or may not get to update tonight. :oops:

Okay, I get the specifics you're wanting. Come to think of it, Freedom Eagle's actually going to stay within a hundred feet or so of the ground; he needs to be able to communicate with his peers below, after all. He is going to try and stay between the mummy and everything else. Flying too high isn't good strategy, and it's much more cowardly than Freedom Eagle ought to be. At least by his standards. :D

(Oh, and sorry for the cusses. That _really_ doesn't even fit the character. Ah well. :oops: )

Okay, I get the specifics you're wanting. Come to think of it, Freedom Eagle's actually going to stay within a hundred feet or so of the ground; he needs to be able to communicate with his peers below, after all. He is going to try and stay between the mummy and everything else. Flying too high isn't good strategy, and it's much more cowardly than Freedom Eagle ought to be. At least by his standards. :D

(Oh, and sorry for the cusses. That _really_ doesn't even fit the character. Ah well. :oops: )

Thanks!

I'm really not a details person at heart, but I have found that when you are playing with people who don't know you (and you don't know them), details like exact height and distance are very helpful in eliminating possible disagreements ("How many range increments is that?" "What is the range of a perception (vision) power at night?" etc.). I do want players to be able to strategize and use things like position, movement, move-by attack, etc. to their advantage. You bought them; you ought to be able to use them. But to do that properly requires a little bit less abstraction and a little more record keeping.

One of my players actually made me use the pythagorean theorem to calculate the exact distance (hypotenuse) to his target that was about 400' away and about 120' up. Turned out . . . he was right . . . it really was 5 range increments. :oops:

Thanks!

I'm really not a details person at heart, but I have found that when you are playing with people who don't know you (and you don't know them), details like exact height and distance are very helpful in eliminating possible disagreements ("How many range increments is that?" "What is the range of a perception (vision) power at night?" etc.). I do want players to be able to strategize and use things like position, movement, move-by attack, etc. to their advantage. You bought them; you ought to be able to use them. But to do that properly requires a little bit less abstraction and a little more record keeping.

One of my players actually made me use the pythagorean theorem to calculate the exact distance (hypotenuse) to his target that was about 400' away and about 120' up. Turned out . . . he was right . . . it really was 5 range increments. :oops:

Thanks!

Round Summary:

-Velocity hit, but the mummy made its toughness save.

-Hybrid and the Emissary missed.

-Freedom Eagle hit with +11, and Raindance hit with +10, so with the combined attack that's +13. The mummy made its second toughness save also.

-The mummy is getting a "surge" this round by GM fiat, so Raindance and Freedom Eagle get a hero point.

-Raindance is hit with a suffocation effect and needs to make a Fort save vs. DC 24. If he fails he needs to make a DC 10 Con check or fall unconscious. If you make your save, feel free to write you escape however you think would be fun to read. :)

-Freedom Eagle is hit with a snare effect and needs to make a Reflex save vs. DC 24 or become entangled. If he fails by 5 or more he is bound and helpless. If you make your save, feel free to write you escape however you think would be fun to read. :)

-If anyone wants to try to help Raindance or Freedom Eagle, you can try to counter the effects with any descriptor that is appropriate (e.g. Strength to rip them away, etc.).

Round Summary:

-Freedom Eagle hit with +11, and Raindance hit with +10, so with the combined attack that's +13. The mummy made its second toughness save also.

-The mummy is getting a "surge" this round by GM fiat, so Raindance and Freedom Eagle get a hero point.

-Raindance is hit with a suffocation effect and needs to make a Fort save vs. DC 24. If he fails he needs to make a DC 10 Con check or fall unconscious. If you make your save, feel free to write you escape however you think would be fun to read. :)

-Freedom Eagle is hit with a snare effect and needs to make a Reflex save vs. DC 24 or become entangled. If he fails by 5 or more he is bound and helpless. If you make your save, feel free to write you escape however you think would be fun to read. :)

-If anyone wants to try to help Raindance or Freedom Eagle, you can try to counter the effects with any descriptor that is appropriate (e.g. Strength to rip them away, etc.).

Round Summary:

Yikes!

Well, I think I'll try countering the entangle on Freedom Eagle by ripping the bandages off of him. Strength and such. Does the superstrength bonus add here, as far as ripping the bandages up?

Edit: Actually, who would look to be in more danger? Raindance from the potential suffocation, or Freedom Eagle if he falls to the ground from his wings being gummed up? Affects my action.

Yikes!

Well, I think I'll try countering the entangle on Freedom Eagle by ripping the bandages off of him. Strength and such. Does the superstrength bonus add here, as far as ripping the bandages up?

Edit: Actually, who would look to be in more danger? Raindance from the potential suffocation, or Freedom Eagle if he falls to the ground from his wings being gummed up? Affects my action.

Yikes!

Okay... the whole suffocating to death is likely wayyy worse than the potential falling damage, so going to try and help Raindance, and if Freedom Eagle can't do the alt power thing, going to extra effort for a surge to then try and contest the entangle as well.

Trying to use strength for a counter.

Okay... the whole suffocating to death is likely wayyy worse than the potential falling damage, so going to try and help Raindance, and if Freedom Eagle can't do the alt power thing, going to extra effort for a surge to then try and contest the entangle as well.

This is just an informational response to make sure everyone understands what is going on. I probably won't be able to update the game until tomorrow.

It sure does. It's an opposed power check: 1d20+14 mummy vs 1d20+Str bonus+Super Strength Ranks you.

Suffocation, definitely.

I would like to spend a hero point to acquire Gravity Control 12 (Flaw: Touch Range) on myself as an alternate power for Freedom Eagle's flight. I think that makes sense; after all, Freedom Eagle's flight does have an anti-gravity descriptor! Does that work for you, Barnum?

That would work for me, totally, but it is unnecessary. Since you didn't buy any power loss drawbacks on your flight, the wings are just "flavor." Being snared will not cause you to fall. Since you failed the save by more than 4, you are "helpless" (p. 171) and cannot move (assume that all your "movement" is being spend keeping yourself aloft).

Also, since you failed your save and are snared, the snares "constriction" extra kicks in. Make a toughness save vs. DC 22 (it's a +7 lethal attack).

vs 24. (1d20+6=18) Failed the Fortitude roll.

vs 10. (1d20+2=10) Passed the Con check at DC10 - just.

Okay, you are still being suffocated. Next round you will have to make another Con check, this time the DC is +1, so DC 11.

OOC: Aggressive Stance, Charge, Power Attack 5. Makes me +9 to hit, +15 Damage, but -6 on defense.

Rolled a.....12! Grrrr! Okay I am spending my HP to reroll. Much better a 28.

Everyone, if you want to use a HP to reroll, do just what H4H did and go ahead an reroll (if you're sure you failed). Please post a link to both rolls and make sure you note in the new roll that it is a HP reroll.

And just so it's clear. If Freedom Eagle wants to break free of the Snare, we will use the rules given in the power's description: trying to break an object, Toughness 14. Anyone else trying to unwind the tangle of "bandages" can try to counter the power.