Ouroboros AKA Jack Jr., JJ

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I am the merging of life and death, the impossible and to many the unholy, Dhampir born of the void and empowered by twin legacies.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Still kinda working on that one.

What is your full birth name?

Jack Huang Faretti Junior

Where do you live?

In the spaces in between, int he shadows, in the dark heart of man I dwell and wait... Nah I got a sweet apartment in riverside rent control and all that.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

ooooh Tricky one. Chronologically 25 years old, but I was born in 2010. Time Travels a helluva thing.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male

How would you describe your heritage?

Whoo boy ain't that the question. Physically most ID me as Asian, actually Chinese but Dads angular features make it harder to make that call.

How tall are you?

Just over six feet.

What is your body type?

Thin almost slight but well toned.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I have a healthy dislike for the sun. It won't cause me any real trouble but its intensely uncomfortable.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I try to carry myself with confidence and dignity and usually manage. If I don't watch it the predatory grace of my birthright becomes all too clear.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Pale skin without much of my mothers coloration though I do tan to a nice bronze in broad theory its not something I've even really tried to test. Dark hair and dark blue eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

About shoulder length usually tied back in a quick pony tail. No facial hair, to many old ghosts round the home stead complained i looked like a "damn Beatnik" the summer I tried to grow a beard.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I'm not above saying I do have a certain dark charm and I would say the opinion is not mine alone.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Nope, been a fast healer since I was wee none of it would take.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not really.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right. Though I actually wear my watch left handed when I wear one go figure eh?

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I try to keep my clothing on the bulky or at least flowy side. Tight clothes make me look strung out.

Do you wear makeup?

Not normally though there was a year I did this whole goth thing. Dad hated it.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Fairly middle of the road not distinctive overall though I manage a decent impression of my Dads on the job voice. Its good for cocktail parties.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Well if I don't watch it I tend to move and watch people like their food. I usually keep it under good control and keep up a facade of the unearthly mystic type.

History

Where do you come from?

The Future. No seriously, Freedom city a good 25 years from now.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Other than back in time? No.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I feel loyalty to my family and friends. My country? Well lets just say we don't exactly mesh well on a few key issues.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

Its the one and only. Wish I could get back then again there's a reason for this too.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Freedom City the big one right where the stars shine brightest an all that. I'd like to say it was Utopian by my time but it'd be a lie. But Warts and all its still the best damn town there is.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Well I'm pretty much unique. The most similar to me are the kids of other supers that get powers at/near birth. But even among them I never quite fit it. Too normal for the supers, and way too different for the mainstream. It was pretty lonely growing up but I had friends around the house.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Well even with out the empowerment of Heshem Magic comes easily to me. I still need to cast unlike mom but its always come easily to me. I'm a fast learner in general really.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Hmmm Where to start? I mean considering that my birth was heralded by the forces of the dread Dracula clashing with some of the more potent Heroes of Freedom City I'd say I've made out pretty well. Never lost anyone really and while living under the threat of attack is odd its also normal to me so what do I know?

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I was a PITA as a teen. Some of it was normal, Fashion Music etc. But for a while I fell in with a dark crowd young Vamps trying to make a name for themselves. I never too their philosophy seriously but they were gonna break the edicts about feeding from the unwilling. I almost when along with it but when it came down to it I knew I wasn't like them. I protected the target long enough for the enforcers to take care of the problem.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Uhm See above? I tried to run away once when I was 12. I took off into the void and tried to find a dark corner to claim as my own. Took Mom like three days to find me. To say the least she was pissed. It wasn't until much later that i realized the dangers of that. Time can move differently int he void there's no telling when I might have come out if she hadn't found me.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Seems like forever. I went through high school and right into "special training" which is to say apprenticeship to the Master Mage of Earth Prime.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Not really but then again I'm back in that time now which is both weird and worrisome.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Well in a way it was always gonna happen I mean look at mom and dad. I fought it for awhile though. But in the end I'm not someone to sit on the sidelines even if Mom thinks its safer there.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Yes and no? I usually just leave it at I'm a third gen hero what could you expect.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not really though I do need to watch myself in this time not to mess anything up and not to let on what I am. Harder to pass now then it will be in my time.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

We all wear masks its part of the job. I try to be honest about what and who I am to myself and those who are important to me. As for the plebeians their better off not knowing what I am or what I do.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Hoo Boy yea. Well to start off I'm not sure I can reveal myself to the family here though its probably only a matter of time. But even beyond that my nature has to be kept secret too many entities would try and use me for their purposes if I don't watch it.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

In this time I'm a five month old so no. In the future nothing major though like I said I was a PITA as a teen.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Taylor Chun-Farretti and Jack Farretti

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Mostly though I spent alot of time with Aunt Stesha and uncle Derrick or other friends of the family when my folks were busy with teh whole saving the world thing.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Really both of them tried to keep from having any real noticeable standing in the community less high profile made the super work easier to keep quiet.

Where are your parents now?

In my time? Vacationing in some dimension of perpetual night or something. Currently I'm not sure but i think I should avoid their likely haunts just in case until I figure out whats going on.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Vampires are territorial so dads not big on moving, and that works just fine for me.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

Never met dads they were dead for years before I was born. Moms folks are cool but we have to keep up this weird facade around them. Its not that they don't know but we just act like its all normal. Really I think its a little insane.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

they still think of me as a child. I hope I can prove to them that I can stand on my own now though.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Unique.

What was your birth order in the family?

only child

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Wow. Not really though I still clash with dad alot. We both just set each others competitive thing off way too easily.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Despite everything I've always been able to talk to uncle Jackson. For all the weirdness that goes on he's never batted an eye. He just gets kinda sad and says he's seen worse.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Our whole family is defined by being the black sheep I mean we're a bunch of movie monsters that live in ahaunted house.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Well I get my middle name from Huang (Hong kong Harry) of the jungle patrol my moms great uncle. And Mom and Dad are pretty well known in the right circles.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Not really though maybe when I get back I'll have buttered up her mom enough that she'll forgive my teen years.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Want sure. But first i gotta get back to the future.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

That would be telling ;)

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Not here I don't and I wasn't much better off before this whole thing started.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

I think so I dunno where she stands with it though. Either way she's not even a twinkle in her mommas eye right now.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

Hoo Hoo. Well Mom an dad for sure. and they can call in more than a few favors.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

So far so good.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Well in broad theory Dracula wants to make me his ... something. A raw deal regardless.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Now that I'm back here I'm not too worried about it the Dragon'll take awhile to recover from his last battle.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Yea everyone's too afraid of dad to do much of anything.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Family, Friends, Innocents.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust myself right now no one else here can understand where I'm coming from. Well maybe one person but I don't eve know who they are.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Bullies and fear mongers. People who use peoples fear of the unknown to cement themselves in power.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Self sacrifice and honor. I like to think so but I've never really been tested to the limit but so far I think I've held up well.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

People who hate out of not understanding. I am guilty of this too though sometimes I don't trust easily.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

yes? Being new here I'm kinda incognito but only till I get found out I can't keep this up forever.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I can. If I'm on a group I tend to be an advisor more than a leader.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Nope though fingers crossed

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Not at all

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Dad for turning away from the bloodshed that is at the core of his existence. and Mom for taking the step of believing in him. they are the most extraordinary people I know.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Kinda the reverse it wasn't until I was much older that I realized just how impressive they really are.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Its not the fame or accolades, though those are nice, its looking back and seeing where you made a real difference. Also those of us with odd dietary choices need every scrap of PR we can muster.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I think anyone can lose themselves if the situation arises. I don't know what would break me but I'm not so foolish as to think it couldn't be done.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Show my folks now that I really can do it and be a hero like them.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Get home and hopefully keep up the good fight.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Losing myself to my baser instincts. I can control them with out a thought now but I know they are there waiting to take over if I let them.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

I'm not sure I can. We're hearty creatures. On the other hand there are things I would without a doubt give up my life for if I had to. My parents for one. But beyond that I'd rather die then lose who I am.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Its always just kinda been there. Money really doesn't matter as long as you have "enough" so those with more than that really just need to be willing to spread it around some.

How do you generally treat others?

I've been described as aloof to strangers which may be reasonable. I do think highly of myself and I have trouble not letting that show.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

No I'm not. You don't grow up with trust front and center when you're parents have as many enemies as mine do.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm very confident but still not used to stepping out and initiating contact with people.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I cool my jets and think of whats waiting back home. Also that she'll kill me.

What are your most annoying habits?

I tend to be too cavalier with my use of magic. Its considered declasse amongst the conjurer set to use magic if you don't need to but whats the fun in that?

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Vampires that fall to their bestial needs. I know the struggle and I know it can be beaten.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Food is a means to an end nothing more.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

... I don't feel I can answer that honestly. Lets just say its not an option and move on.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Chocolate volcano cake.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not a fan of veggies.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I like a darker palette overall.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Not a big music guy. I mostly listen to classics

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

the air just as midnight passes and you can almost smell the magic in the air.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Wolf loyal to family and keen hunters.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Dads costume. For now its all I have of them even if I did have to sneak in and steal it.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I'm a creature of my comforts.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

depends on the context. I know better than to say there is no way I wouldn't do X Y or Z.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

not really. I've know too many beings of spiritual power to feel any mystery or power from them.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Nope

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Not at all.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

With out a doubt I could but I haven't yet and won't let myself.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

It has to be all or nothing or the instincts win.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

No its all or nothing. If I leave even a scrap of reason then I've as good as lost.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

Hard to say. A friend I would stop them. an enemy ... that's a harder call but in the end I think I couldn't let it stand.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I'd get it back that simple.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Poorly? The instinctual response is to prove ones dominance but out of control that just dangerous.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Find the killer and bring them to justice. If an accident morn. There's not much else to do.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I'm just self aware enough to know I don't have any non BS answers to that but still young enough not to have any real answers.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Mom pulled strings to get me training under eldricht.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Adrian Eldricht. He's my mentor and I hope to rekindle that in this time.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Beyond the tricks of my birth not really.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

Nope

What is your preferred combat style?

Keep range fight smarter not harder.

Have you ever received any awards or honors?

Not a one.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I have much to learn about magic.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Every opportunity is a learning opportunity I seize them all.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

there really isn't anything normal about my days. Especially now.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I got my moms love of horror flicks. Especially psycho thrillers.

What do you do for fun?

I'm a fan of the old monster movies. Dad thinks they're racist but I think they are hilarious. Different times I guess.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Not of my own but i can totally pull off dads old mask and jacket. I skipped the half cap though.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Loose clothes whatever is the comfortable side of appropriate.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Nada

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I have a cross blessed by an honest to god angel. It doesn't effect me but I keep it just in case.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I don't have any valuables to keep.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Teleportation. Was working on the spell when this all went down.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No never seemed like a thing to do.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

well my magical signature would shine through as well as the fangs possibly. Not many Dhampir around after all.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I'd just like to be remembered nothings sadder than the forgotten dead. A good friend taught me that when I was younger.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

If I fall to my instincts without a doubt. All of the vampires strengths and now of their weaknesses.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My intellect.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My predatory instincts

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Live it up you have all the time in the world don't dwell so much on the negative in everything.

Jack stared around at the crystalline pillars and their scintillating colors. He shook off his growing headache from the all to bright light emanating from the orb overhead. He'd know this would be unpleasant but seriously this was over the top even by his standards and he grew up with the self proclaimed King of Freedom City's vampires and the singular Dimensional Guardian known as Phantom.

But as his Master had deemed this testing necessary before continuing his training he dutifully intoned the proper rights to begin the testing. As his invocation drew to a close the lights in the pillars flared to greater strength as if by some inner flame as the chorus of voices began the testing

"From whence do you come?"

Jack opened his mouth to speak to explain his origins if Freedom City when he found he could speak the words. Taking another breath he intoned, "I Dwell within the void betwixt all things."

"What Manner of Being are you?"

Knowing now that even the minor lies he told himself would be rooted out before these entities he spoke only truth, "The meeting of Death and vitality, I am Dhampir."

"Who sends you to Us?"

Jack couldn't help but grin at the question, "I come at the behest of Adrian Eldricht Master Mage of Earth Prime."

"Why do you come before Us?"

Jack spoke his reasons almost defiantly, "I seek knowledge. I seek the wisdom to fight justly and defend those in my charge."

"What do you deem your greatest strength and your greatest Weakness

Jack's bravado faltered for a moment as the weight of the testers question truly hit him, "It is one and the same. My heritage. It gives me great compassion and understanding and yet without care will be my downfall."

"What is your greatest love and that which is most hateful?"

Jack winced slightly at the question but felt the compulsion for truth. "The answer to both is power. That wielded justly and that used for tyranny."

"Open your mind to Us."

Jack braced himself as he felt the wash of the testers powers invade the depths of his mind seeking out all that he was to his very core. They were not gentle in their search but if he was not capable he would not pass their test. They found the dark impulses and the instinctive predator deep within its mental prison of morality and will to good. They found his desires and his fears and his fleeting feelings of love, loss and his core desire to make real change. And then as quickly as they had invaded his mind they were gone leaving him feeling hollow almost empty.

"What is that you fear most?"

Jack panted as he recovered from the raw emotions and memories they had dredged up and replied simply, "Losing myself."

"What is your most heartfelt desire?"

After their jaunt through his mind they knew all of this why must they ask? he wondered but replied none the less, "To prove myself worthy." it may not be the most noble goal but it was the truth for the moment at least.

"Where do you belong child of the Void?"

Jack grimaced at the title, "Everywhere and nowhere at once." he replied honestly he was ever present int he world likely eternal and yet truly belonged nowhere.

"Tell us of the hunters and the Hunted?"

Jack winced he knew some of those hunters had been empowered at the testers behest. "Anyone who would hunt another sentient being for things beyond their control is the true monster. No one is beyond redemption."

"Where do your loyalties lie?"

It was a hard question for Jack to answer he wished to say his family before all else but he knew as he opened his mouth to speak the words he could not. "To those who need my protection above all else." he replied almost bitterly though it was true.

"Have you know love? Is it returned?"

Jack bit back his initial angry retort. He knew when they began that the testers would leave no corner of his psyche unmolested. Through Gritted teeth he replied, "I have." and then he calmed himself, "And I do not know." he suspected and hoped certainly but...

"Tell us of your Family Daywalker."

Jack was at least prepared for this he had expected them to dwell further on his unique ancestry after all. "I am the child of heroes." he said defiantly, "I have learned much from them both, My father has shown that no one is beyond redemption should they seek it. My mother has shown me how to meter justice with kindness and responsibility with charity like no other."

"How do other see you?"[/b]

"Young, untested, even coddled." he replied with slight bitterness, "I know what I seem to be but I know I am more than their petty jibes."

"Do you see yourself as a leader of men?"

Jack shook his head, "Perhaps by example but I know my path will be a lonely one."

"How do you feel about the religions of man?"

Jack bit back a snide comment that while true was not the full answer. "I see them as too often abused to the agenda of a twisted few. Such is not for me."

"What of Companions?"

"I know this path is a lonely one," Jack replied solemnly, "But I will walk it and take what aid is freely given."

"And what of the Others?"

Jack knew the Others they spoke of, heroes and villains meta-humans, aliens, Outsiders. Such things were part and parcel of his life. "They are the same as any other. They make the choice what they do with what they have."

"Jack Farretti of Prime. You are arrogant and young. But you have within you the will to greatness that will not be quenched. Be sure to temper your furor with wisdom in all things."

With the final piece of advice and perhaps grudging approval the chamber went dark and Jack felt himself pulled back to prime and his Master sanctum. The Master Mage wrapped a blanket over Jacks shoulders and gave him a small nod, he had passed the test. "Sallah Tea for my young Apprentice." he called out and the man servant hustled off to fulfill his masters command. Looking up to the Master Jack let out a breath he hadn't realized he had held, "That was both worse and better than I had expected." Eldricht just slowly nodded, "It always is."

• 4 weeks later...

Notes to myself

I begin this journal fully cognizant that I may undo my existence with my very presence here. It is an unsettling sensation to say the least but I will say that I do find it to be some small comfort to know that I can pass on some of what I have learned. Thus I scribe this journal knowing that when you are ready you will find it. I have already begun to build a library and workspace in the void. I'm sure you had little difficulty finding it.

I do not know if we will meet in a fashion that you will recall so I shall begin with who I am. I am you. Jack Faretti Junior who calls himself Ouroboros. I have been displaced in time near to the time of our birth, and I am uncertain if I shall return to my time or even if there is such a place to return to. These letters will detail what I have learned of that and many other things I hope they will be of use to you.

First Entry

I have only recently arrived in the year 2010, So far my existence has not been undone thus I can hope I am in some form of stable loop. I have found a likely ritual that should ensure my continued temporal presence and the details are attached.

I have spent some time with my parents of this era it is odd to see them so unsure. They were always so certain in all things to my eyes to see them as they are now is both comforting and unsettling. I can only hope that we find this in time to avoid some of the worst we put them through.

I have secured a new identity as well as a separate living space. As much as I care for my parents they need to focus on the younger me and to be honest I am unsettled by my youthful self still seeing oneself as an infant goes against the core.