Cold Calling (IC)

Samael reached out across the table slowly and deliberately, and poked Vivian in the forehead. "I did not tell you zat story so you vould stop, but so you could continue. Your questions do not have context. Ze history of Russia is not a fictional story you can forget about; people lived it. Ze people you vill be talking to specifically. You are too focused on ze questions and not ze answers. Look deeper, and zink harder." encouraged Samael, his face warming again.

Vivian was stunned for a moment. But she seemed to gain new resolve. Nodding when he passed her the signed consent form, she re-opened her notebook.

"Okay Sam, in that case, let's start with that job. What did you get your start doing, and did it in itself lead to more heroic endeavors? Or did it simply put you in the right place at the right time?"

"Vell for ze first years I vas doing vhatever job I could get. I vas busboy, cab driver, sewer cleaner, nozing too pretty I assure you. But eventually I got a job vorking at a deli. Long hours, but good vork. I vorked zere, vhile living in ze apartment above. I vorked zere for nearly 4 or 5 years before ze old man retired and he gave me ze store to run. But in zat time, and in ze years zat followed, I cam to see zat area as my home. But I also saw how many criminals called zat place home; it vas in ze Fens." explained Samael pausing for a moment to let Vivian's hand catch up and to eat a few more spoonfuls of ice cream.

"Now I did not care for zose types, so I started to drive zem off. But vhen you push zem, zey vill eventually push back. A few of zem ambushed me vith guns in a back alley one day. I died. I got back up as Atlas." finished Samael simply.

"Hold on a second," Vivian asked, while taking notes, "You didn't call the police or anything, you just shook a stick at them until they got off your lawn?" A good opportunity for a question crept into her head. "Did it feel any different than living in Russia, with the authorities being generally unhelpful?" She was now munching on her brownie full force again.

"Now I did not care for zose types, so I started to drive zem off. But vhen you push zem, zey vill eventually push back. A few of zem ambushed me vith guns in a back alley one day. I died. I got back up as Atlas." finished Samael simply.

"Wait, you died? Like heart actually stopped beating and everything? Yikes." She scribbled away, "So I guess you gave them a good thwomping, huh?"

After that exchange was over, she posed another question, "If you could go back to Russia now, with your powers, would you? And if so, why?"

"Ze police has enough problems. I saw ze place as my own home. You defend your home. I vas done being afraid." explained Samael simply. "In Russia, most of ze cops vere good people, but zere hands vere tied by ze state. Zere vere ze bad ones of course, but zey vere ze exception. Most of ze cops had it just as bad as ze rest of us." said Samael with a shrug.

"No I don't zink zat I vould go back. Zis is my home now. And zere are too many bad feelings vith zat place. It is not my fight anymore."

"Good, good. Okay." Vivian nodded as she wrote. A few more minutes went by, and Vivian finished up all the questions for her paper. Exchanging a few jokes, and finishing their deserts, didn't take more than a few minutes. Eventually, however, Vivian asked him, "So, big guy, got any questions for me?"