Both of Stesha's hands were full with the huge arrangement of flowers she'd built for the occasion, so she couldn't squeeze Derrick back, but she gave him a smile as they both looked around. She'd gone cute and informal in a powder blue halter top and matching skirt, her long green hair braided and then looped up to keep it out of the way. "Oh, look how many people are here!" she murmured to Derrick. "It's going to be such a nice time. Let's go find Lynn so I can give her these flowers." Peeking out from around the side of the bouquet, she headed across the lawn.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the small party moved from the foyer to the backyard, Jill moved over her brother, tossing her knapsack at his forcefully, causing the exhausted fencer to sit up abruptly to catch it. Jack perked up even more when Eli walked out with Moira on his arm. "What."

"I know, right?" his sister agreed quietly. "Honestly? Little jealous."

The tanned young man paused briefly, distracted by the literal goddess while his brain slowly processed Jill's words. "Yeah... wait. Of which one?" he asked archly.

The younger sibling gave him a smug smirk, and before he could press the issue the other guests began to arrive in dramatic fashion. Jill gave her bother a punch on the shoulder as Ace Danger set down his magic carpet. "Hey, it's Ace! Gay crushes for everyone!"

Jack gave her a long, flat look. "...you are a horrible sister."

"Learned for the best, hermano," she grinned infuriatingly as a nearby tree disgorged another pair of attendees.

Jack rose to greet the couple as Jill walked around the plant, regarding the trunk with fascination. "Hey, Sprouts. And, who's - wait." He squinted Stesha's clean cut companion, raising an eyebrow in surprise. "You're not...?"

Eli was a little stunned as more people started showing up. "Dude..." said Eli facing Grim. "Best. Guest list. Ever." Think this also clears it up as to whether or not the guest list is heroes only. Wait isn't that...? thought Eli as a literal flying carpet came down in the backyard. "Good lord, that's the Ace Danger; I got to meet him."

Walking over to Ace, Eli stuck out his hand. "Uh, Ace Danger? My name's Eli, and I'd just like to say it's a pleasure to meet you sir."

Colt decided that he had better turn on the other burner for the grill now that people were actually showing up. "Well, I reckon these're 'bout done, folks!" He placed a plate of freshly cooked Hamburgers on the table. "Enjoy! Made'em m'self. Them's got onions'n Worcestershire sauce mixed right in'ta th' beef. Laid'a little'a garlic powder'n pepper on'a top as'er cookin' too. If'n y'all don' like'em that way, I made some plain. Just lemme know'n I'll have'em heated up'n no time." Colt threw another batch of meat on the grill. He started on the (kosher) hot dogs, and some soy burgers, just in case there were any vegetarians in the crowd. "Kosher'n soy's goin' on'ow. It'll jus' be'a few. Reckon' that there kielbasi's next up."

Colt shut the grill so the meat would cook faster, then walked to greet the rest of the guests. "Ace Danger," Colt shook the man's hand. "Sure's been'a while. Since that there weddin'a think. Hope y'all been keepin' well. Stesha'n Derrick, Nice ta fine'ly meet'cha!" Colt took of his hat as he greeted Stesha.

"Mingling is good for you. Otherwise its far too easy for you to do the whole 'interact with the world from the sanctity of my own bathroom' thing. After god knows how many years, you can hardly be shy." Talya continued to tease, her smile both pleased and flattered at the compliment before she glanced up at Ace's arrival. Behind the lenses of her glasses, Talya rolled her eyes and smirked, "Lord, trotting out the flying carpet is he? I wonder who he's hoping to impress into bed this time."

They were let in and shown quickly back by Vince, Talya looking far more comfortable with the idea of circulating with who knows how many heroes than her date for the event. When they reached the back yard, she gave Ace a cheery wave and a knowing smirk. Meanwhile she said in an undertone to Elena, "So, this would be introduction time..."

Derrick nodded with a smile at Stesha, following along after his fiance. Eventually, along with everyone else, he saw Ace Danger arrive. Derrick couldn't help but chuckle. Ace always liked to make an entrance obviously. He was a little swamped by gushing fans; Derrick say a hi a little later. He saw Elana with another woman; the two made a nice looking couple. It was also nice to see Scarab getting out and relaxing as well. He noted people here and there that he recognized but none he really knew. He nodded towards each in turn with a smile. "Colt, Jack. Nice to see you today," he said to each.

In no time, it seemed that friends and former teammates were coming out of the woodwork (literally, in Derrick and Stesha's case!), and the yard was now packed to the gills with superfolk.

Wow, we gotta heck of a turnout! :shock: :D

Lynn broke away from Jill and Moira to greet some of the other new arrivals, first checking in with the roguish Ace.

"Hey, hey, you made it!" She gave the famous adventurer a firm hug, then she looked over her shoulder at his chosen mode of transport, and gave him a saucy look. "Y'know when I was a kid, I had a huge crush on Aladdin; went as Jasmine for Halloween three years in a row." She gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Good to see you, Ace." She then wandered off to do some more greeting, humming 'Prince Ali' as she went.

Next she approached Derrick and Stesha, and she was instantly taken with the two floral arrangements. "Hi, you two! Oh my God, Stesh, you look awesome, and these flowers are heavenly!" She leaned in and took a deep breath; to her discerning nose, they were like complimentary pieces of music, almost an olfactory duet. "Wow, Stesha; you are the indeed the mistress of growing things! Here, let's set them...over here."

She reached out both hands and conjured up a pair of flowers stands, upwind from the grill so their smell wouldn't be overwhelmed.

"There we go!" She took the flowers and placed them carefully on the stands, then gave both heroes a quick hug. "So nice to see you guys! Sorry, I'll be back to talk later, I just need to say hi to a few more folks, okay?"

Finally she came over to Elena and her new friend. "Lena! The dress! Is amazing! I am so stealing that design, and the sandals!" She gave her a quick friendly hug, then took a step back to take in her date. "And who is this? Dynamo said you were seeing someone...interesting?" She raised an eyebrow, but her smile was welcoming.

Stesha smiled at Jack, for all she couldn't wave, and grinned up at the cowboy. "You must be Colt. Lynn has told us so much about you, it's nice to finally meet you in person! And the food smells great! She turned to the birthday girl herself to exchange greetings and compliments. "I'm so glad you like them, they're so pretty and vibrant, they made me think of you. What a great party!"

With her hands free, she took Derrick's arm and got a better look at the yard. "Oh look, there's Moira!" she told him. "Let's go say hi!" Fiance in tow, she headed across the lawn, only to pause when she saw who her friend was keeping company with. "Do you recognize that young man?" she asked Derrik in a murmur. "I could swear I've met him before, but I can't for the life of me remember where."

Jack rubbed the back of his dusty brown hair affably as he made the logical leap from Stesha's companion to Fleur de Joie's partner. "Holy snap, Twinkle Toes, I seriously thought you were doing the walking black hole thing twenty-four seven." It was hard for the fencer to reconcile the clean cut man in front of him with the power Dark Star, if only because he'd gotten used to recognizing the energy being via his metamagi awareness. "Good to see you, y'know, outside of work, man. But, uh... is that what I think it is on your lady's finger?" Pointing to his own ring ringer, he nodded toward the green haired florist, raising an eyebrow and grinning broadly. For many of those present, it was the first time they'd seen the swashbuckler smile without any hint of mockery or smugness.

His sister, meanwhile, gravitated to the growing group of female arrivals, hanging back from the older women with forced nonchalance though some of her continuing excitement over rubbing elbows with Freedom's most interesting social caste slipped onto the coltish teen's face.

Ace took the young mans hand with an easy smile and gave it a firm shake, "Pleasures mine, you do some good work." he replied with a nod. He gave Colt a quick lazy salute, "Too long my friend, but at least we shall assume the festivities shall go better this time around." he answered with a laugh.

The ageless hero Smiled wide and waved in response to Grims greeting as she rushed to greet Elena, "Well I'll be, Talya actually got her to come out of the tomb." he murmured with a small shake of his head.

Ace took the young mans hand with an easy smile and gave it a firm shake, "Pleasures mine, you do some good work." he replied with a nod.

"Thanks a lot sir. That means more than you know." said Eli rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly as his face turned a bright shade of fuchsia. Eli let Ace circulate around the yard after that. If he stayed too close to the guy for long he's just geek out entirely and Jack wouldn't let him live it down.

"Do you recognize that young man?" she asked Derrik in a murmur. "I could swear I've met him before, but I can't for the life of me remember where."

It was only after the color started receeding from his face did Eli note the green haired girl. He looked at her all cock eyed; he was trying to remember where he had known her from. Not wanting to spend the whole night trying to piece it together, and not nearly bashful enough to make a total fool of himself, Eli walked over to introduce himself. "Uh yeah hi." said Eli with a little wave. "So yeah. I'm Eli and I think I know you from -- " Eli stops suddenly as he gets a whiff of a perfume in the air. "Wait! You're that flower chick!" he exclaims snapping his fingers with the sudden realization. "Who's the lucky guy?" he asked with a thumb at Derrick, before extending his hand to the both of them.

When they reached the back yard, Talya gave Ace a cheery wave and a knowing smirk. Meanwhile she said in an undertone to Elena, "So, this would be introduction time..."

[bg=#BF0000]"It would be, at that."[/bg]

Finally Lynn came over to Elena and her new friend. "Lena! The dress! Is amazing! I am so stealing that design, and the sandals!" She gave her a quick friendly hug, then took a step back to take in her date. "And who is this? Dynamo said you were seeing someone...interesting?" She raised an eyebrow, but her smile was welcoming.

[bg=#BF0000]"Thank you. It's a surprisingly comfortable ensemble, I really can't recommend it enough."[/bg] She turned to her date. [bg=#BF0000]"Lynn Epstein, Birthday GIrl,[/bg] Elena raised her voice slightly, so that the other assembled heroes could hear, almost daring them to object to her choice of companion. [bg=#BF0000]"This...is Talya."[/bg] She lowered her voice back to a normal tone. [bg=#BF0000]"And yes, she is one of the most interesting people I've ever met, in two lifetimes."[/bg] She handed Lynn the bundle under her other arm. [bg=#BF0000]"Happy Birthday. Just a little something from my personal collection."[/bg] She leaned in and whispered [bg=#BF0000]"I'd recommend securing it immediately."[/bg]

The ageless hero smiled wide and waved in response to Grims greeting as she rushed to greet Elena, "Well I'll be, Talya actually got her to come out of the tomb." he murmured with a small shake of his head.

Elena waved back at him. [bg=#BF0000]I get out of the Lair all the time, Ace. Just rarely without putting on a cape first.[/bg]

"That's right!" Stesha exclaimed, brightening as the pieces fell into place. "You came in and bought flowers for a young lady a couple weeks back, I should've remembered right away." She chuckled. "I wondered for days how all that went. You'll have to tell me the story." Putting a hand on Derrick's arm, she introduced him, with a smile for Jack, too. "This is my fiance, Derrick. It's so funny, I had no idea you knew Lynn, or were in this line of work."

"Elena does give the best presents," Talya agreed with a small smile and held out one hand to Lynn, her smile cheerful and warm, "Natalya Browning. I'd say 'the' Natalya Browning but that just makes me sound like Ace and believe me, people never said it the same way that they did Ace's name. I've always had a... drastically different reputation. The pleasure's all mine. Happy birthday, I might add. I feel terrible coming empty handed but Elena was concerned anything I provided might be taken, how shall I put it... amiss. I will simply have to owe you one for when I know your tastes better."

Her hand if Lynn took it was warm and the grip was firm but not overly strong. "You have a lovely home."

"Neither did I! Small world huh? So good to meet you more officially like. I'll tell ya the story over dinner, I promise. So how long have you known Grim for? I'm kind of the newbie around here." explained Eli as he gave a sweeping gesture to the vast number of heroes around the back yard. "Speaking of..." Eli stepped a little bit closer and discretely motioned to Elena and Talya and whispered "Are they who I think they are?"

Ace took the young mans hand with an easy smile and gave it a firm shake, "Pleasures mine, you do some good work." he replied with a nod. He gave Colt a quick lazy salute, "Too long my friend, but at least we shall assume the festivities shall go better this time around." he answered with a laugh.

The ageless hero Smiled wide and waved in response to Grims greeting as she rushed to greet Elena, "Well I'll be, Talya actually got her to come out of the tomb." he murmured with a small shake of his head.

"Well, I sure hope they are. Not sayin' I didn't come prepared'er nothin'." Colt motioned to the pistol strapped to his leg. "I just wouldn't wanna see all'a this here food go'ta waste. Speakin'a which, here'ya go." Colt lifted one of the plates on the table, and handed Ace a burger, "Y'all look like ya c'n use'a bite."

Moira tagged along with Eli as he greeted people. She softly held on to him as he made his way around the party. She greeted the people she knew with a smile and a soft hello, trying to make her prize more comfortable. She knew almost all of the guests here. Though she could do to meet that guy over there with Jill. Jack, right? Damn. This is one nice looking party.

[bg=#BF0000]"I'd recommend securing it immediately."[/bg]

Lynn suddenly held it at arms length, like it was hot. "Oh, ah, gotcha. I'll put it somewhere safe in just two seconds." She tucked it under her arm as she prepared to shake hands with Elena's date

"Natalya Browning. I'd say 'the' Natalya Browning but that just makes me sound like Ace and believe me, people never said it the same way that they did Ace's name. I've always had a... drastically different reputation. The pleasure's all mine. Happy birthday, I might add. I feel terrible coming empty handed but Elena was concerned anything I provided might be taken, how shall I put it... amiss. I will simply have to owe you one for when I know your tastes better."

"You have a lovely home."

The changeling warmly returned the handshake, with a grip much more powerful than her dainty little hands would indicate.

"Well thank you, and welcome! Don't worry about the gift; I'm trying very hard not to be a little brat, which is kinda touch-and-go, to be honest."

The petite brunette leaned in just a tad, and lowered her voice as she smiled with great sincerity. "You two make a super-hot couple, and I'm glad you've got your freedom again. No matter what any high society skanks might say, you'll always be welcome in my home. Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheynu Melech ha-Olam, sheh-kacha lo b'olamo."

With a polite little bow on her head, Lynn quickly headed inside with her gift from Elena, to secure it in the Underground; at the bottom of the secret staircase, she could wait no longer, and tore through the wrapping with her claws. :twisted:

*Blessed are You, Eternal One our God, Who has such as this in the Universe

Lynn suddenly held it at arms length, like it was hot. "Oh, ah, gotcha. I'll put it somewhere safe in just two seconds."

Elena laughed. [bg=#BF0000]"It's not dangerous, Lynn. Just very, very old."[/bg]

With a polite little bow on her head, Lynn quickly headed inside with her gift from Elena, to secure it in the Underground; at the bottom of the secret staircase, she could wait no longer, and tore through the wrapping with her claws. :twisted:

The wrapping paper fell away to reveal an ornate box, almost hermetically sealed from the outside world. It contained a cracked, faded scroll, made out of a strange-looking paper, covered in ancient Hebrew runes.

Lynn felt the familiar sensation of Elena's voice in her head. [bg=#BF0000]It's papyrus. From around 1,000 BCE, give or take. One of the stories which were eventually collected to form the Torah. A little piece of the homeland, for both of us.[/bg]

"Why, thank you. I appreciate the gesture very much," Talya said genuinely and then chuckled as the girl dashed off to see what treat Elena had procured. "Lovely girl. Oh, I do know someone other than Ace, after all."

She gave Moira a lazy sort of wave as the goddess made the rounds and another quick flash of teeth in an amused smile, even as she said an aside to Elena, "Hope she didn't bring her angel friend. Nice man but not a party sort."

Ace took the offered plate with a nod of thanks, "Smells delicious complements to the chef." He said with a wink and watched Eli and Moira wander off wondering which of them were in for a bigger surprise when that reached its inevitable conclusion. He moved on to drift through the party greeting the others he knew as he moved about the small yard. He managed to maneuver himself in next to Talya and Elena as the Birthday girl rushed off with her gift, "Ladies." He said with a small bow, "Looking ravishing as always." he added with a grin.

"Oh, I do know someone other than Ace, after all." She gave Moira a lazy sort of wave as the goddess made the rounds and another quick flash of teeth in an amused smile, even as she said an aside to Elena, "Hope she didn't bring her angel friend. Nice man but not a party sort."

Elena's gaze drifted to follow Talya's wave, and then snapped back before she could make eye contact with Divine. [bg=#BF0000]"Moira"[/bg] she growled. [bg=#BF0000]"I've met a few Abrahamic angels and demons over the years, though probably not the one you're referring to. And I'd take any of their company over that of a so-called 'hero' whose conduct is unethical even by the standards of most of her fellow Olympians."[/bg] Elena sent a quick telepathic "bundle" to Talya, outlining her history with Moira, both their time as comrades in the Knights of Freedom, and the events that led Elena to revoke Moira's access to The Scarab's Lair. [bg=#BF0000]"So you'll understand if I don't join you when you mingle in that particular direction."[/bg]

Ace managed to maneuver himself in next to Talya and Elena as the Birthday Girl rushed off with her gift, "Ladies." He said with a small bow, "Looking ravishing as always." he added with a grin.

Elena held a hand up to her mouth and stage-whispered to Talya [bg=#BF0000]"I think he's talking to you."[/bg] She turned and gave Ace a hug and a kiss on the cheek. [bg=#BF0000]"Glad to see we're not the only old farts in attendance today. Mmmm...something smells good."[/bg]

Talya put her fingertips to the bridge of her nose as she made a slightly pained face, her eyelids closing for a moment as she tried to assimilate the mental download. It took her a few seconds of disorientation before she was able to sort through things, "Darling, one of these days your going to blow a synapse in my poor entirely mortal brain. The words alone would have sufficed. Its hardly the first time I've had friends you don't approve of."

"Ace, my darling. I don't suppose you have advil hidden about in your pockets along with all of those trinkets?" Talya waited until Elena released Ace to give him her own hug and a kiss on the opposite cheek. "Also, if you call me old, I will knock you into the pool and I know how fond of that coat you are."

Derrick smiled a little at Erik. He could play too once in a while. "That depends on what you think it is. If you think it's an perfect diamond acquired from a planet close to 53 thousand light years from here that also doubles as container and stasis holder for the organic style-emerald acquired on a different planet almost 19 thousand light years from here all set into a lovely setting, then you'd be right." He chuckled. "But it also is an engagement ring if you were focusing on a simpler concept, yes."

He nodded as Stesha introduced him to Dynamo. "Pleasure to meet you." He followed the gaze to Elana and her date. "Well, I don't know who you think they are. That's Elana there. She's a rather skilled attorney. And a good friend of mine as well," he said, not sure if he was supposed to be mentioning alternate identities. "Not sure who her date is though," he said honestly.

"Cool. Wonder how Grim knows her then? Think Grim had some legal trouble back in the day? Nah... I know the chick she's with though. Can't think of her name though. I know I know her though. I overheard her saying her name was Talya or something. I remember seeing that name like just last week. It's driving me nuts. But if you'll excuse me, those burgers aren't going to be eating themselves. Nice meeting you." says Eli as he trots off for a quick bite to eat.