Hangin' with The Thing That Should Not Be

Lone Star

"Dude." Blake said, sitting on his bed. He had been relaxing in his dorm for most of the day, alternating between staring at the wall and staring at the ceiling. "There seriously has to be something to do other than sit around here." It was a Saturday at Claremont, and no homework was assigned (at least, not enough to worry about yet) and all was quiet on the eastern front. Besides the sounds of a squid-boy complaining. Blake's arms were crossed as he sat on the bed. He was wearing a Led Zeppelin T-shirt, one of the many bands that the two of them shared an interest in. The last few weeks Blake had spend with Warren had been interesting, to say the least. He helped fight the White Knight and the Redeemers, but he had never really gotten to know the Guitar Hero personally.

"Dude, let's like...do something."

"I agree man." Warren said as he sat upside down re-tuning his guitar. It might have been a busy week for the guitarist, but even he was starting to find it annoying to sit around all day and do nothing. Well, technically he could get started working on that metal converter and get some materials made, but so far he just couldn't find the components to make it work. "I don't have guitar practice with Eddie and Zoe until later today." He kept thinking for a moment, strumming a few random notes from his guitar while the blood continued to rush to his head.

"Hm....Give some crooks the smackdown?" Warren asked his roommate/Half Eldrich abomination. Really got to ask how he became Lovecraft's or Blackcroft's living nightmare...

KC sat up in a moment. "Sounds like a great idea, my hard rockin' friend. But where should we go? I mean, there's crime everywhere. KC said, already getting his costume on. As he fastened the cape, he swirled it around, showing Rift the Elder Sign on the back. "Pretty cool costume, huh?"

"Looking good man." Warren said as he floated upwards and quickly righted himself. "As for where? Not sure just yet. West end is usually having problems. Southside is starting to get worse... Your pick really." He said as he slipped on his duster. "Better be quick on deciding where to go though. Keep hearing that Summers has eyes and ears all over the place and I really don't want things to get derailed." If anything annoyed the hell out of Rift, it was plans falling apart. Well, his anyway.

"Let's hit up West End. Like you said, they've always got problems." KC said, as he adjusted his boots. He loved his new costume- it made him feel like a real superhero, not just a squid-boy in a costume. He dusted off the costume, and made sure everything else was in order. "Cthulhu f'thagn!" he exclaimed. The moment he did, his body was engulfed in green mystic flame, and from those flames Blake was transformed once again into the mystical squid, Kid Cthulhu. "Ready to rock 'n' roll, my friend?"

...I doubt I will ever get use to that. Rift though just as he got his mask on. Ready as I'll ever be squid boy." He joked as he clicked his fingers. Just like that the window opened. "Would offer to race you there, but that just seems kinda unfair." The guitarist said with a grin as he floated outside. Even if flying was still new to him, heights was one of the few things that didn't really bother him.

KC chuckled a little as he opened the window. "Yeah, you're probably right. We should gain some altitude quickly if we don't want to be spotted, though." KC said, leaping out the window. His great wings extended, and he flapped them, creating a gust of wind behind him. Soon, the flying squid wass airborne, and increasing his height by the moment. He felt free as a bird. Or...squid-bird.

"Yeah. We would be dead if some reporter caught a picture of us near here." Rift said as he floated upwards, keeping his speed up to the same level of Kid Cthulhu. He continued to tunes his guitar, just to make sure it was in working order for trouble. "So how is the art thing going anyway?" He asked, reaching into his pocket for a guitar pick.

"It's been going alright, man. Just drawing whatever comes into my head, and whatever's around. Been trying to impress some girls around the school." KC said with a devilish grin. "What about you? I heard you were in a band. Where will you guys be playing? KC's cape flowed behind him. Through some manipulation of magic, he made it so that his cape was always flowing, whether there was a breeze or not. It was a little creepy, but KC found it to be a good effect.

"Pretty good so far. Band got plenty of good material. Some of use are already thinking we have record label potential soon. Sure could use the money" Rift said, wind starting to make his duster flutter. He looked down and whistled. "I think we're high enough man. No one is gonna look up and start screamin' at you." He said with a chuckle as he started to drift off towards west side. "How have you and Rycon been anyway? Saw you making eyes at her when we beat up the Redeemers."

KC looked down. "Umm, well... KC said. "We went out. Once. Broke up. Kind of not wanting to talk about it." KC said in one short burst. The truth was it still hurt him, how it all went down. The two of them talked, sometimes. But not often, and it was mostly just pleasantries.

Rift winced. "Ouch man. Sorry I brought it up." The guitarist said. He really should have kept better track of the Elder Kids activities, just so he didn't ask anything like that.

"Well...Lets just get on with dealing with the West End. Some cleaning up there is bound to take you're mind off it for a while at least." He said as he continued to drift away towards their destination.

KC looked up. The guitarist wasn't too bad. He smiled at Rift, and picked up the pace a little. "Race you there!" he said, taking on a burst of speed. He knew the guitarist could outrun him, but he still flapped his hellish wings as fast as he could as they approached their destination.

The only thing Kid Cthulhu could see and hear was a loud bang, followed by the distorted twang of a power cord and the blurred black and blue line zoom past. It left the Elrdich kid with a distinct buzzing in his ears that faded into a faint whine within a few seconds before stopping.

A few minutes later, when KC would catch up, he saw the guitarist floating upside down exactly like he was back at the dorms. "You're lucky there wasn't any bids on that man. You would owe me a few bucks." The Guitarists said with a smile as he righted himself again. "Well, here we are. West End."

KC heard the guitarist fly off. "Damn showboater..." he said aloud as he flapped his wings at a rapid pace to try to catch up.

Four minutes later, the Eldritch Kid came flying next to the guitarist. "You...are...a...jerk." KC spat out as he coughed his lungs out. "So I may need to work out a little. Big deal."

"So where do we start?"

"You think I'm a Jerk? You haven't met that Clarence guy. Such a stuck up snob." Rift said. He met the guy around campus a few times, but he screamed the sort of guy that would turn around expecting a butter instead of a person. Well, from his point of view anyway. He knew from meeting Trevor that not every Rich kid was a jerk.

"Anyway, Sorta had the advantage of Heavy Metal on my side there. Nothing can beat that after all." He paused for a second and looked down. He had to shake his head and look up towards the sky. "Damn vertigo..."

KC raised his hands in the "\m/" gesture in agreement. "Very true, my friend. So are bad guys in specific we're hunting for, or are we just doing a general sweep?" KC said, adjusting his cape. He was up for doing a goon sweep as much as the next guy, but today he wanted action. If there was only a real big bad guy out there, he would trounce him in a moment's notice. Ever since his battle with the White Knight, KC was more than eager to fight real villains, instead of just thugs.

"We'll go for a sweep man. I don't know many criminal gangs or anything like that around this part of town, but I think a few random acts of kindness might help the place a little." Rift explained as he looked down at the neighborhood. There was always something going wrong in this part of Freedom, he doubted what they would do could actually make a major difference, but something small always does the something. "C'mon, lets get going." The guitarist said as he started to move closer to the ground. he was still pretty high from the ground but at least he could see what was going on.

Little did they know, they were going to get more than they bargained for...

KC nodded in agreement, and followed the mystic rhythmist towards the ground. He was right about one thing- this wasn't the best part of town. KC looked around and saw urban decay all over the buildings and sidewalks. Graffiti and messages of hate were painted on the signs of buildings, and KC shuddered inside. He hadn't been to the West End since his childhood. It was around these dilapidated buildings where he first experimented with the Necronomicon and gained his mystic power.

He turned to Rift. "Nice place, huh?