What MnM2e Books Do You Own?

Barnum

I have mixed feelings about "Paragons". The thing is, it's not a setting. It's an idea book; something you can use in another campaign. It has character ideas galore, some of which are the very good, but it has no real substance. But make your own decision.

Here's the gist: "Breakouts" (or metahumans) are all over the Earth. No one really knows why they can break most of the physical laws - they just can. Some people think it's some kind of mental effect - a "Mind over Matter" thing. That would mean every superhuman is in some small way a mentalist, just manifesting itself in different ways. Others think it's some sort of limited control over reality. Same deal there - the person thinks it, and it happens. And others take that to its logical (or illogical) extreme, eschewing any scientific explanation by saying "They are superhuman because they believe they can be superhuman."

That's the basis of the game, really. Believe you can be more than you are, and you can be that which you want. Its a nice story, and like I said, the character ideas are good, but I feel its been said before. There's nothing in there you don't already have. Its a study in what makes a paranormal, not a roleplaying supplement.

Many people here will doubtless disagree with me, but that's just how I feel about it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Ed.

Freedom City

Golden Age

Mastermind's Manual

Ultimate Power

Archetype Archive 1-3

Freedom City Archetypes

Freedom City Street-Level Archetypes

Street-Level Archetypes 1-2

Villainous Archetypes 1-3

Lockdown: Gen-Pop

Instant Superhero

M&M Character Record Folio

Time of Vengeance

I also bought the GM screen for my face-to-face games. :roll: Awhile ago I stumbled upon some first edition books (like Crooks!) and I happily took them.

I considered picking up Paragons. I really enjoy the Ultimate Marvel line and after glancing over the book I got the impression Paragons somewhat paralleled the tone of the comics. Would this be accurate? I hate not being accurate. :)

Freedom City

Golden Age

Mastermind's Manual

Ultimate Power

Archetype Archive 1-3

Freedom City Archetypes

Instant Superhero

Time of Vengeance

I also bought the GM screen for my face-to-face games. :roll: Awhile ago I stumbled upon some first edition books (like Crooks!) and I happily took them.

I considered picking up Paragons. I really enjoy the Ultimate Marvel line and after glancing over the book I got the impression Paragons somewhat paralleled the tone of the comics. Would this be accurate? I hate not being accurate. :)

Freedom City

Golden Age

Mastermind's Manual

Ultimate Power

Archetype Archive 1-3

Freedom City Archetypes

Instant Superhero

Time of Vengeance

• 3 weeks later...

Mutants and Masterminds 2e (Core book)

Agents of Freedom

Annual #1

All the Archetype pdfs (Archetype Archives 00-03, FC City Archetypes Legacies, FC Street Level Archetypes, Hero High Yearbook, Lockdown Gen-Pop, Street Level Archetypes 1-2, and Villainous Archetypes 1-3)

Crooks! (1st ed.)

Foes of Freedom (1st Ed.)

Freedom City

Gimmick's Guide to Gadgets (1st Ed.; not worth it)

Golden Age

Hero High

Instant Superheroes

Iron Age

Lockdown

Masterminds Manual

Noir (1st Ed.)

Time of Crisis (!st Ed.)

Time of Vengeance

Ultimate Power

Also,

The Algernon Files (both 1st and 2nd Ed.)

Nocturnals: A Midnight Companions (1st Ed.)

Paragons

And I'll be getting Gestalt when the Superlink versions comes out (I've got the HERO System version)

(I also have most everything for WW's Aberrant, HERO Game's Champions (5th Ed.), WEG's DC Universe RPG, Palladium's Heroes Unlimited, TSR's Marvel Superheroes RPG, WotC's Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game, and GOO's Silver Age Sentinels.)

I think Paragons can be used as a setting book. It's just not as laid out as, say, the Freedom City book, it requires more work to make it happen, since so much of it is prefaced with "if you use X, then Y". In other words, the whole book is more like the last few pages of the Freedom City campaign book, where the GM is presented with all sorts of options for what's what.

Agents of Freedom

Annual #1

All the Archetype pdfs (Archetype Archives 00-03, FC City Archetypes Legacies, FC Street Level Archetypes, Hero High Yearbook, Lockdown Gen-Pop, Street Level Archetypes 1-2, and Villainous Archetypes 1-3)

Crooks! (1st ed.)

Freedom City

Golden Age

Hero High

Instant Superheroes

Iron Age

Lockdown

Masterminds Manual

Noir (1st Ed.)

Time of Crisis (!st Ed.)

Time of Vengeance

Ultimate Power

Also,

Paragons

And I'll be getting Gestalt when the Superlink versions comes out (I've got the HERO System version)

(I also have most everything for WW's Aberrant, HERO Game's Champions (5th Ed.), WEG's DC Universe RPG, Palladium's Heroes Unlimited, TSR's Marvel Superheroes RPG, WotC's Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game, and GOO's Silver Age Sentinels.)

I think Paragons can be used as a setting book. It's just not as laid out as, say, the Freedom City book, it requires more work to make it happen, since so much of it is prefaced with "if you use X, then Y". In other words, the whole book is more like the last few pages of the Freedom City campaign book, where the GM is presented with all sorts of options for what's what.

Agents of Freedom

Annual #1

Crooks! (1st ed.)

Freedom City

Golden Age

Hero High

Instant Superheroes

Iron Age

Lockdown

Masterminds Manual

Noir (1st Ed.)

Time of Crisis (!st Ed.)

Time of Vengeance

Ultimate Power

Also,

Paragons

• 3 months later...

I just picked up Nocturnals: A Midnight Companion (1st Ed.).

I love this setting. :love: It is a great combination of cartoonish horror, grim and gritty noir, and awesome camp. Kind of Raymond Chandler meets Hellboy meets Beetlejuice.

*contemplates running a Nocturnals campaign*

Currently I only have three in actual book form

Core Book

Ultimate Power

Instant Superheroes

In PDF I have almost everything else rated for second edition except for Villainous Archives 3, Worlds of Freedom, Book of Magic, and Freedom's Most Wanted because I ran out of money from Christmas/birthday.

I've had Agents of Freedom for awhile and it makes a great reference book for encounters with the STAR Squad and AEGIS. I incorporated SHADOW into our last campaign and the book came in handy for that.

I picked up Worlds of Freedom and I really enjoyed the future Freedom League and the chapter on the Terminus; it totally emulates Kirby's Fourth World stuff. So good.

I need Book of Magic because it has some headquarter features I want to make legal in my face-to-face games.