Summer Job Listing [IC]

alderwitch

"Thirty-five an hour with a minimum hundred gaurenteed. In case we come home early or something comes up," Taylor responded without blanching once at the numbers she rattled off. While talking, she pulled a rather epically thick little day planner from the ether and carefully added the sheet to it. The woman was seriously organized, although reciepts and folded notes stuck every which way out of the book, Taylor seemed to know where it all went. "If that works for you?"

Erin blinked. "Yeah... um, yes, that's just fine," she replied quickly. That was several times more money than she'd ever made babysitting, maybe it was the built-in hazard pay. It was a lot more lucrative than watching the computer screen for Alex's stocks, before whatever arcane stock options thing her friend had dreamed up. She wondered what else the baby could do besides bite. It was only a couple months old, surely it couldn't be very fast, no matter what other tricks it had. She put her phone number down on the sheet so they could get in touch, then passed it back to Taylor. "Is that good?"

"Perfect!" Taylor said and tucked the paperwork away with a smile. She stood up to offer a surprisingly firm handshake, especially for magicker. "We'll be in touch, I promise. Jack and I are hoping to get a few different names today but I promise yours will be on the list. It was very nice to see you again."

She tucked the dayplanner back in whatever secret pocket she kept in hidden in while Jack and Erin said their farewells as well before resuming her place in the seat.

"Okay," Erin said, giving him a last cautious look. "Sorry about your jaw." The apology came to nearly half-hearted this time, an improvement. She walked out quickly while she still felt like she was doing pretty good. Sure it was sometimes BS when someone said they'd call you about a job, but Taylor seemed like she'd meant it. Jack... well, she really didn't know what to think of him. He was definitely a weird guy. Vampire. Vampireman. Whatever.

After the door shut, Taylor turned and her expression turned to one of concern. She reached out towards his cheek hesitantly, not wanting to make it hurt worse, "How is your jaw doing? That was quite a right hook she nailed you with."

After giving him a quick examination and indulging in some marital fussing that she'd be less likely to do in front of any sort audience, Taylor asked, "So what do you really think?"

"She's fast on her feet and doesn't hesitate to go in for the kill. If I hadn't jerked back, she'd have taken off my head. I think she's a good choice, assuming her references pan out." Jack shrugged. "I'd like to talk to some other kids, though, just so we have spares and backups handy in case something happens with this one. You really can't be too careful."

"I think you and I have slightly different priorities when it comes to the babysitters." Taylor said dryly, letting her hand fall to her side. "Although, her utter lack of reaction to the how are you with monster questions did make me happy. We'll have to make sure she doesn't run into Dead Head in the living room when she's watching the baby sometime. I don't want to replace any more furniture."

Taylor settled back in her chair, completely ignoring that it was generally her doing the bulk of the furniture breaking in their apartments. She stretched out and crossed her ankles to check the list, angling it so Jack could see over her shoulder if he wanted to, "I agree. Although, more so that we're not scrambling if something comes up at odd hours. I still think we're going to have to add some sort of bonus when its really odd hours."

Mike had passed the advertisement for a sitter wanted several times as he went too and from class or the cafeteria without much thought. With the restrictions of the program he hadn't been able to take on a job and it hadn't really occurred to him that he might need one. After some of his recent planning though he was more and more realizing that a little extra spending cash couldn't be a bad thing thus he plucked one of the remaining numbers off the flyer to call in and sign up when he got back to his room.

Come the day itself he pulled on a nice sweater and switched out his normal jeans for a pair of slacks perhaps overkill for a babysitting job interview but it was a first for him so he decided to ere on the side of overdressed. He walked up to the door at the appointed time and focused his vision beyond the door to make sure he wasn't interrupting the prior interview before gently knocking on the door and waiting for a reply before entering.

"Come in," Taylor responded, turning away as Jack moved back to the corner to lurk. She preferred looking away rather than watching the vanishing act. Even for all the times she'd seen it, it was still disconcerting. Taylor stood up to greet the next applicant then blinked and tilted her chin up to make eye contact with the mountain of a teenager.

Jack was tall but this young man had a good half a foot on him and the significant breadth of shoulders to go with it. Taylor repressed the urge to float up a bit just to even it out and offered her hand to the young man with a smile, "Hi, I'm Taylor Farretti. Thanks for your time for this interview. Won't you have a seat?"

Mike gingerly took Taylors hand and shook it with a smile, "Mike Harris." he introduced himself as he carefully sunk into the chair behind him eyes flitting every so often to Jack in the corner somewhat nervously.

He refocused his attention on Taylor once more with a nod trying his best to ignore the man behind the curtain assuming he had good reason to be there since they had been talking just before he entered. "Thanks for having me." he answered politely as his eyes darted to Jack and back once more.

"Jack Faretti," said Jack, catching the boy's gaze with practiced ease. Keeping a smile on his face and his feelings well off it, he waved, but didn't get up as he repositioned the chair that had behind the curtain so everyone could see everyone. As if it was the most natural thing in the world, he sat and studied Mike. "Why do you think you're qualified to take care of my son?"

Mike tried to ignore that half of the interview team was sitting for some reason behind a curtain. He looked to Jack as he spoke and nodded, "Well, I like kids." he replied easily, "and like to think I'm good with them." not that he'd had too much first hand experience but in his limited experience his gentle nature seemed to be well suited. He looked to Taylor, "I have full first aid training that's up to date as well." he said eagerly hoping that would be a point in his favor. He looked back to Jack to try and read the inscrutable mans face but really got no where. He glanced back to Taylor nervously and whispered, "Is there a reason your husband was behind that curtain?"

"Have you ever taken care of an infant before?" Taylor asked politely, her eyes crinkling at the corners and she slanted a look to Jack before lying through her teeth. Might as try and make up for some of her earlier laughter over vampireman.... nananana.... Smiling she said simply, "He was checking to see if there was a power outlet. My cell phone was running out of power and its the number we give the babysitter."

Taylor had a terrible poker face but Mike wasn't so great at telling if someone was telling the truth, so maybe that would balance out. More or less.

Mike slowly shook his head, "Uhm no I haven't." he replied with a small sigh he had known his lack of experience was going to be difficult to overcome but hoped it wouldn't eliminate him altogether. He fixed a confident smile on his face however as he continued, "And I know it's much more difficult than it may seem on the surface but I know I can handle it."

The big youth listened to Phantoms explanation and it seemed reasonable enough, "Oh ok." he replied with a nod seemingly satisfied with the explanation though something about it seemed slightly off.

Taylor nodded a little at that and laced her fingertips together, "So, as you're probably aware from the add, there's some additional danger that goes along with the more normal baby sitting duties. With our line of work, we have some enemies but the baby himself is a bit... special needs. So, Mike, how do you feel about your stereotypical movie monsters? You know, witches, mummies, zombies, demons... vampires?"

Both her brows lifted at the last question, but she asked it in the same tone of voice that she'd inquired about his experience with children.