A meeting at the Library (IC)

"I never solidified my spiritual beliefs. Whether there is one God, or a whole group of them, they've left me to my own devices. It's only fair that I leave them to theirs. If He, or they, wanted something of me, I'm sure they have can get in touch with me."

He took a moment before adding, "And yes, I have heard the 'mysterious ways' thing before. I choose to believe if someone had all the power of the universe at they're disposal, they could just do what needed to be done without that Chaos-theory butterfly effect nonsense."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think that's a pretty fair viewpoint. I like that you're willing to accept new things if shown enough evidence. Many people close their minds to even that." Vivian smiled. Gigawatt was a good man, if you could call him that.

"Have you ever thought that there may have been ruled that even the Gods have to play by? Rules put in place so that the world doesn't come to ruin by being knocked about like a play thing in the hands of every all powerful being out there? Many scholars write about what is called The Pact that prevents the Gods from directly having a hand in what goes on in our world. For the same reason, many of them choose to work through champions or servants and the like."

"Perhaps you've never been spoken to simply because circumstances have not been quite right?"

"That's a rather...interesting idea. I wonder what sort of History they teach up there at Harvard." Had he found one of those voodoo worshiping loonies? He hoped not. She seemed to be so lucid before, it would be a real shame if it turned out she was unbalanced.

"Going on the assumption that there are in fact multiple gods, and from the presumption that there are rules for folks purported to have unlimited abilities, I could see the advantage to working through intermediaries." He started thinking about this more seriously. If he was going to do a mental simulation, it was best to do it all the way.

"However, I can't think any sort of nearly all powerful entity would be bound by any sort of rule, regardless of purpose. Small things chafe the most. I have a limited experience with that."

"But see, isn't it that type of mindset that's the problem?" Vivian cocked an eyebrow at the energy being. "Think about it. You're all powerful, I'm all powerful, we get in an argument. Soon enough, boom. No more world. It's the protection of the little things that is important." She waggled a finger at him, ready to make her point. "The Gods aren't bound to these rules forcefully by some other being. They willingly observe them all on their own. It is the same concept as our government and laws. If we don't obey the law, we get punished. If a God disobeys The Pact, all the other Gods step in to make sure it is upheld."

"Fair enough, but a system of deterrents will only work for so long, and is based entirely on these gods themselves. My religious schooling isn't great, but I do remember hearing about large numbers of evil gods." Something wasn't right here. Something was wrong here.

"There's something about this conversation that bothers me." it was like an itch he just couldn't scratch. Something off that you could see, but not explain. "At first, I was humoring a hypothetical. What would happen if yadda yadda yadda. Then there's this familiarity you seem to have with the topic. This suggests one of two things: First, you are making all of this up, and are seeing how I'll react, or you believe this."

He could think of a few alternatives, but they didn't seem in character. She didn't seem like a zealot, who believed for no reason. She didn't seem like a loony either. But they don't let loonies work in public places. His options weren't all inclusive, but did seem the most likely. Besides which, based on her response, he would be able to more accurately gauge where this was coming from."Based on your observed intelligence and lucidity, I would like to conclude the first option. However, if it is the second option, then you believe you have evidence of this. Otherwise you wouldn't bring this up without knowing it'd be laughed at. I'm curious which"

"Fair enough, you caught me." She held her hands out for an imaginary pair of handcuffs.

Figures that the one time I'm actually not lying, he thinks I am.

"It's true, I believe it." She shrugged matter-of-factly. "I don't think that makes me crazy. I think it's just the opposite. And before you get into that Catch 22 nonsense, think about it rationally. This theory provides an explanation for why mortals cannot interact with Gods, whereas others simply expect us to believe it's because the Gods don't feel like it."

Vivian took a deep breath and began anew. "Christianity states that we're created in God's image. Well, I don't know about you, but I don't do too much without having a reason for it. If I was created in God's image, it would stand to reason that God should be the same way. To me, 'I don't feel like it' does not sound like a reason a God would use."

"I do a lot of reading, Gigawatt. And while you can't believe all of it, there are a lot of people with a lot of good opinions out there. You just need to be open minded enough to give it all a chance." She shrugged, unable to say anything more to aid her point.

She was making logical points. That was one point in favor of not crazy. While she mentioned Christianity as an example, she never actually said she was Christian. Interesting.

"Lets suppose there Is a God, or are gods, and that He or She or It or they cannot directly interfere with human affairs, the way you say. The makes me wonder how often they use 'champions'. I've never heard of a deity without an agenda. The Christian God wants people to follow his rules, the pagan gods wanted to be the very strongest, and so forth. It also brings the question of how do you know the being that claims a champion is the real version of that being. People can disguise themselves, it stands to reason anything we could do, they could do." He didn't believe himself. Was he really going to have this discussion.

"You're damn right about that." She nodded. "That's what I'm trying to say. It's totally possible. However plausible it may seem, there still remains some shred of possibility."

Vivian folded her arms in front of her. "I think we can both agree on this at least: If you're contacted by a being that claims to be a God, you should probably be careful!"

"So, you say you believe in these ultra powerful beings. Why? Have you been contacted, or perhaps a friend or loved one? Unless there was some contact somewhere, I don't think you'd have this specific knowledge you seem to possess." If he was going to have this conversation, he would at least try to get it out of the realm of pure speculation.

"Gigawatt, I work in a library. I just finished explaining how much I read. I don't have to be contacted to know that this holds some weight."

Vivian stood up from her chair, and walked around her desk. "Follow me, I want to show you something." She led him to one of the stacks. Once there, she pointed out a section of books. "See these six enormous volumes? They all cover what the pack has to do with the Greek Pantheon. Those six cover the Roman Pantheon. And so on. If you want proof, I can flip the pages for you."

Gigawatt was curious now. The argument seemed logical, though at this point it lacked proof. Perhaps in these pages there was something. He didn't think so. There would have been something said if there was definitive proof on what these beings were distant. It seemed out of place to him. No one had read these books?

'Let it go,' he told himself. 'What could possibly be in the pages of books at the local library? What words could possibly convince you that these things are real?'

He took a minute to think things through. Then a thought came to him. 'How could a simple college student create free energy? What college student would be able to make me what I am? I still don't understand exactly how he managed it. But I'd still read a paper on it if he published it.'

He looked at the woman again. "Alright, I'll bite. If the proof really lies in these books, then I'll take a look at them." That little voice was telling him he was an idiot for bothering. He answered back 'If there really is nothing here, then I'm right and can prove it. There's no losing here for me.'

Vivian smiled. Part of the reason why she liked Gigawatt so much was because he was willing to listen. "Here, try this one first." She pulled a large book off the shelf. "It's on the Norse Gods. A little less common than the rest of the tales. It might be a little more convincing if you haven't heard it before."

"Very well, it seems as good a place to start as any." He began reading. Asgard, Midgard, the Aesir. While he felt a bit like an idiot, he kept reading. He wouldn't be able to prove he was right until he could prove she was wrong. Besides which, she seemed so insistent on it, it'd be rude not to. He chuckled, "Frost giants."

"Yea, it does." Vivian smiled as she continued flipping pages for Gigawatt's benefit. "Part of me can't wait. You know, jus to see what it's like. But you know what they say about curiosity..."

In reality, seeing Valhalla is the thing I want more than anything else in the world.

He stopped reading for a moment. Wanting to see the battle to end all battles, that would, if he was reading right, kill some of the gods, and leave most of the human race destoryed. "Somehow, I don't think anyone will be sad if that never comes to pass. In fact, I know a lot of people that would be positively thrilled by the prospect."

"Oh, I know," Vivian sounded dejected. "Which is why I say part of me. It's the history major in me. Large scale battles are really interesting. And to be able to see the biggest one to ever happen in the history of the world. I think that would be a hoot. If only so many people didn't have to die in the process. So needless to say I have mixed feelings about it."

But I WILL fight in that battle!

"If you say so. However interesting it may be, the whole flooding the earth and leaving two survivors thing is going to be quite the downer. Still, I'm sure the show will be amazing." While this was an interesting read, he hadn't really seen this evidence yet. Perhaps it was later in the book, but he was beginning to doubt.

"Hmm, you don't sound too convinced." Vivian frowned as she shut the volume. "You can read all you want, but if you're not willing to accept it, you're not willing to accept it." Vivian gave a shrug. "It all comes down to faith. Either you have it or you don't. At the end of the day, Thomas is still going to need to put his fingers in the hole made by the spear."

Oh how I wish I could show him.

"Forgive me, but it's difficult to accept that not only do these beings exist, but the proof is found in books at a local library? I try to keep an open mind, but the fact of the matter is if it really was in here, there really was proof, it stands to reason that someone would have found it, and made a big deal out of it. You say you do a lot of reading, and I believe you, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't make this public, or put out a paper or some such thing." Belief was important, and even he had his beliefs. He believed in the power of the human mind, and the human ability to overcome. He wasn't sure on the ephemeral, and this hadn't convinced him.

"While I appreciate you trying to show me this, text doesn't convince as much as seeing a thing. Like I said before, hearing about magical bank robberies was one thing. Encountering the fellow with a time stopping belt was quite another."

"Write a paper? What else would I include that's not already in these books?" Vivian swept a hand over the shelf. "And if you want to see proof, then you really should watch the news more. Have you not seen Freedom Angel? You can't tell me he's not an agent sent by the gods. Hello? Angel! Broad daylight!"

I've heard of people being skeptics, but this is getting ridiculous.

"A person with wings who can fly. It is very impressive to see, I give you that. If your faith tells you that it's due to the intervention of a deity, that's great." Gigawatt lifted himself well above her, and made sure there was good space between the stacks. He then did a few mid-air backflips before coming down.

"I myself can fly. I still don't understand exactly how my body functions like this, but i know it was a scientific process that got me this way. But that's a fallacy. Just because I got this way through science doesn't prove that everyone did." what would be a good way of proving this? "Lets see. Can't find him, so can't ask him. I imagine asking the gods would be fruitless. Can't be sure by what process he was given flight...Or for that matter if flight isn't an inherent ability of his species. For all we know, we could be a grue, or some other alien." He was largely speaking to himself at this point.

"You've said that your belief comes from reading these books, so that eliminates you as a possible facilitator. Let's see. Not to familiar with any of the other "Magical" folk, asking them is out. How to prove this, how to prove this?"

"Flight as an inherent ability of his species" Vivian repeated, "Gigawatt, you do realize you're talking about an Angel, right? Angels have wings, wings make you fly." She was getting snarky.

"So if Freedom Angel was right here, right now, and he told you that Gods exist, and did in fact send him, you would believe him?" Vivian pouted a little. "That hardly seems fair, when you're not willing to believe me. What make his word any better?"

"I never said I would believe him, I said i would ask him. The way he answers would help determine where he is actually getting his abilities. It's the same way I was planning to find out about your belief if you had dodged my earlier question."

"Besides which, it's not that I don't believe. It's that there's no proof that can't be explained away."