Strength to Strength (IC)

Electra

"I'm considering it," she began thoughtfully, looking over the baton. Obviously she was considering both the baton and training question. "No, on second thought, you train enough as is. I really want to get out into real situations. Not fighting is the really hard part." She slowed down a bit for Wander's benefit.

"If I may ask, why couldn't you hit with less than maximum power? The one time I've seen you fight suggests you have surprisingly precise control of your actions. Or was that a benefit of your intense training here?" The one time in question was not mentioned, nor was Dead Head personally. Best to move forward slowly.

"That's really what I want to do. Just go out patrolling, dealing with the usual suspects and fighting the occasional giant robot. Those are my favorites. No diplomacy, no surrender and no kid gloves," she said, winking at the latter bit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And no bat," Erin added. "It doesn't work on robots, so I have to use my hands." She hesitated about answering Fulcrum's question, but figured that if this was going to work at all, she had to spill something. "The precision I have now is from training," she said. "When I got to Prime, the only fighting I knew how to do was fighting for my life, and when you learn that way, you don't pull any punches. The things I used to fight couldn't be knocked down or knocked out. They had to be destroyed. But I've learned a lot since then. Control and finesse... well, most of the time," she admitted. "I'm still working on it." She shoved the bat back in her belt and ran her fingers through her hair, thinking uncomfortably about the rather lackluster showing she'd made before.

Fulcrum quickly put two-and-two and didn't get five. If Wander was from a different Earth, and she flipped out over Dead Head, then the logical explanation was...nasty. Really nasty. She simply nodded. "And you'll get better the more you practice and train. I can already tell you have the discipline and capability. If anything you need the confidence and attitude. Am I close?"

Thinking over what she just said, she stopped and turned to Erin. "Look, you can choose what, if anything, you want to share with me. By both Mr. Summer's policy and my own, anything you say will be held in confidence. I'm not here to judge you, just try to help you out. I know with the whole mentor thing, you don't necessary need to like each other. Still I'd at least like to give it a shot."

"That being said, I have one question. In the arena, why did you attack the corpse creature, Dead Head?" Again, her tone was not accusing. She simply stated a question.

Erin looked around uneasily, but they were alone in a patch of trees with nobody around to listen in. Coming to a halt as well, she straightened her spine and locked one hand around the opposite wrist behind her back. Concentrating on some distant point over Fulcrum's shoulder and off in the sky, she said, "It was instinct. I saw a zombie, and I had to kill it. I spent fifteen months, give or take, where it was just me and the zombies, and if I hadn't learned to kill them without thinking, kill them when I was half asleep, kill them in the dark, in the rain or snow, when I could barely even see them, I would've died. I'm in therapy now, they're fixing me. But I wasn't expecting Dead Head, and when it came lurching at me, I just reacted."

Fulcrum wasn't really sure how to take this new behavior. The actions were frighteningly rigid, almost choreographed. Honestly the paragon wasn't sure how to respond to the revelation. Not that it really was a surprise. The reaction however was definitely enlightening and puzzling at the same time. Instead of saying anything she sat down next to Wander. She was still almost at eye level.

"Thank you, Wander," replied Fulcrum simply, patting her on the shoulder. "If you want to beat up some zombies to let off some steam, I happen to know a few areas of interest." The trees and rustling of leaves were contemplated.

"Alright, I take that back. I have one more question. Are they fixing you or are you letting yourself heal?"

Fulcrum could feel the very faintest flinch from Wander at the pat on the shoulder, but otherwise the young hero didn't react. She shifted her gaze off into the trees and shoved her hands into her pockets. "There's stuff messed up in me that's never going to heal," she replied simply. "But Dr. Marquez is fixing me so I can get along here, use my powers without hurting people and be a superhero. And that helps. If you can make me a better hero, that helps too. I don't really want to talk about this," she admitted, though that was hardly a revelation.

"That's fine. I appreciate your honesty, and that we got this out of the way up front. Like I said, this is all in confidence." she said while standing up. Patting the grass off, she looked at her, "How about thumping some zombies then? I have on good confidence, being that I fought them a few months back, that a certain super villain is packing zombies with steel reinforced skeletons. Sounds like a challenge to me."

"Or we could start up with the usual assortment of crimes and work our way up to monsters. I usually check out the city bridges several times a day to catch jumpers. You'd be surprised how many make a go at it there." Fulcrum obviously wanted to jump into the thick of things and really see Wander in action.

"Beautiful day for a patrol regardless," She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, looking at her phone. "or lunch."

"I'm not cleared for missions involving the undead or zombies of any kind," Wander admitted, pursing her lips. "If one comes in, I have to stay on campus or in Young Freedom Headquarters. But we could check the bridges, do a patrol or something like that," she agreed. No matter how awkward it felt, Erin was determined by now to try and make things work out. If, maybe when, things failed, at least she could say she'd done her best. "Or lunch," she added.

"Okay, lunch first. Then we can have a look around town." replied Fulcrum awkwardly. Obviously this was just as difficult for her, and just as obviously zombies were want Mr. Summers was trying to mention when Wander entered the office. She made a mental note to discuss that issue with him. "Any preferences? I know a great diner if breakfast is your thing. Plus a cafe in Riverside that makes crepes to die for. My treat."

Once the silence descended again, she asked, "So you're a striker and very strong. How far can you jump?" Believe it or not, Fulcrum sounded genuinely interested and unforced.

"Bout a mile," Erin said with a half shrug. "They haven't tested me on that lately, but I've been working on it. And lunch is good, wherever you want to go." She seemed slightly more relaxed now, with the painful questions over and outside Summers' presence. "What do you do?" she asked, "when you're not heroing, I mean. Do you have a job somewhere, or how do you make money?" Fulcrum was really strong, and way too big to really pass in a secret identity. Money was something that always weighed on Erin's mind, and even more so now as senior year approached. "Do the Interceptors pay you?"

Starting off at a slow stroll toward the main gate, Fulcrum nodded at the question, "The Interceptors offered me a salary for full-time work, but I didn't feel it appropriate. I have personal connections that could be construed as a conflict of interest. Best to avoid those unpleasantries and focus more on the team proper." As she spoke, her eyes seemed to sparkle, and for a moment a happy, little smile sneaked an appearance.

Then she chuckled and answered, "I'm an artist actually. Political cartoons, comic books, manga, painting, sculpture, block printing, the works. Most of my income is from my comic/manga work. Ever heard of Typhoon? It's an adventure monthly for which I'm the main artist." Pulling up a couple of pictures, she offered her iPhone to Erin. "Here are a couple of samples of my comic style."

"Do you have any interests? Any ideas what you want to do when you graduate?"

Erin took the phone and looked at the pictures. "That's pretty cool," she decided. "One of my friends' mom is the writer and artist for Andy Comics, she wrote us all in for a couple of adventures last year. I don't know if you would know her, but she's nice."

She handed back the phone and shrugged as they walked. "I haven't got anything lined up," she admitted. "I guess probably the Freedom League, they give people who work for them enough to live on anyway. If I don't make it there, I'll do something else, maybe travel for awhile." That sounded a lot better than "live in my truck," she figured. "I like reading, and cars, and I have a cat." That pretty much summed up her life, which was kind of sad. "Mostly I train and do schoolwork and hero work."

"Thanks. I haven't met any of the Andy team, but I've heard they're all nice people," replied Fulcrum before she fell silent.

Once Wander finished her goals, Fulcrum nodded. By now they were nearing the gate, and Fulcrum absently watched a taxi rumble past. She asked, "Ever considered college or tech school? Any of those three interests could be spun into a pretty rewarding career, depending on your grades. I know for a fact that money is out there if you look hard enough."

"What's your cat's name? I have one myself. One-eyed grump named Archimedes. Real sweetie." Stopping shy of the exit, she asked, "Want a lift?" Offering a hand, she motioned for Wander to hug her. "Be embarrassing to lose you over the river," followed by a smile.

Mentally she made another note to ask about her team mates. For now though, lunch called!

Erin started to say she could keep up on her own, but she was trying to be good and cooperate, she reminded herself. Gingerly, she put her arms around the tall woman's waist, so she could ride piggyback rather than be held upside down, at least. "My cat's name is Oliver," she told Fulcrum, "like from the Disney movie. He's really smart. Sometimes I'm pretty sure he's smarter than me. My grades are average, but I don't think I'm really college material. I'm basically good at one thing, so I figure I should use it to help people. Anyway, I don't want to have to explain to every dean around why I haven't got any records beyond last year. Where did you go to school?"

"Hey, makes sense to me," confessed Fulcrum. Once Wander had a good grip, she slowly took off and headed across the river. "Do what you're good at. Honestly I'd rather be a super scientist, but punching people is my specialty too. Helping people is a noble calling whatever the specifics." Leveling off, she banked toward the east side of the city. "I went to school at the Oregon Art Institute. I tried for that local high-end art school but didn't make it past the application. Put in a couple of semesters at Freedom College too."

For a few minutes she simply cruised at low speed. No need to slingshot around like she usually did anymore. If anything the grand tour was a bit relaxing, and she sighed at the thought of simpler days. As she circled down toward their destination, she looked over her shoulder. "Cat really that smart huh? Super Cat or something? Or are you just playing down your own brains?"

Slowly the squares of roof tops resolved into buildings and motes of dust into people. Next stop, Riverside, cafes, galleries and bookstores galore!

• 2 weeks later...

"I don't know exactly how smart he is," Erin admitted as they landed on a roof with a convenient fire escape, "but sometimes I'm pretty sure he's been using Alex's computer when I'm not around. He's got some kind of weird power, he can get through closed doors, even locked ones. But he's mostly just a cat." She climbed down to stand on her own feet and looked around. "I don't come out here very much, I don't know where a good place to eat is," she told Fulcrum. "Bet that art school feels dumb now, anyway."

"Got a regular Puss in Boots there," chuckled Fulcrum, "I wonder what he is doing if he uses a computer?" Realizing that frankly, the answer was none of her business, she shook her head and tried to get her bearings.

"The Riverside Cafe should be around here somewhere. They serve a great selection of coffee, among other things. Are you coffee drinker?" she asked, until squinting at a building in the distance and pointing west, "There we go. Salads, soups and pastries await. Little family-owned place. Been around for years."

Almost offhandedly, and with a touch of regret, she added, "Yeah, it does actually."

"That sounds good. I'll probably stick with Coke, though." Erin looked down at her costume, then hefted her knapsack. "Should I um, put on my civvies before we go down? I don't get recognized much, but I think in costume people might notice something weird. I have my school clothes in my bag though, I could just toss them on."

"Honestly, that's a good question," pondered Fulcrum, tapping her chin, "Either option has its problems. I'm so subtle you know."

Ironies aside, Fulcrum wasn't quite sure how to approach this lunch, of all things. "At the very least we can order to go and eat in the park. Keep people from being too noisy. If it helps the local are used to me by now." After another moment's consideration, she glanced sidelong at Erin.

"What do you think? Local student has lunch with a heroine or two local heroines having lunch?" From her tone, her preference may be to simply stay in costume.

Erin shrugged. "Dunno, guess it doesn't matter." She left the clothes in her bag and hopped off the fire escape, figuring that if they were in costume they didn't need to be quite as subtle. "I never really thought about people doing normal stuff in costume, going shopping and eating and stuff, but I guess it's not illegal or anything." She wondered if maybe it was more comfortable for someone as huge as Fulcrum to go out in costume instead of just being a really huge random woman, but decided it might be rude to say anything about that. "How often do the Interceptors go on missions?" she asked instead.

"At least that I know of," mentioned Fulrcum, in jest, "I receive fewer strange looks anyway." Following suit, the 600 pounder hopped off the fire escape with a thud.

Starting off slowly for the alley's exit, she pondered the question for a pretty good length before replying, "Honestly I don't know. Let me level with you, I've been part of the team for such a short time that the whole vibe and schedule of the group is still kind of foreign to me. I know all of the members have solo missions every day, but as far as team missions, not that often so far. We're really still in the team building stage. You know, working out the kinks in the programming."

"On the other hand, sounds like your team has the whole 'team' part figured out pretty well, from what I've heard. Am I right?" She smiled.

"More or less," Erin said with a shrug. "We had to kick one guy off the team a couple weeks ago, but other than that it's been pretty good. When you live and work with the same people all the time, you sort of have to learn to trust them. So it's extra hard when somebody screws up really badly. We do a lot of solo and small group work too. Most things don't need all seven of us, or somebody's gone or not available or whatever. " She loitered at the mouth of the alley and waited for Fulcrum to take the lead, uncomfortable with walking into public in her uniform without something to draw attention away from her.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Must have been a very tough decision." Looking both ways, Fulcrum casually strolled across the street and toward an old-fashioned corner cafe. A few people milled about at the tables, reading newspapers or enjoying fattening treats.

Holding the door for Erin, the interior of the cafe came into view. The decor was eclectic with old advertisements, household utensils and iron work giving the small place a homey feel. At the counter however, the place looked fairly modern in amenities, save perhaps for a chalkboard advertising the daily specials (homemade soup with choice of half sandwich). Interestingly, few people even gave the two much of a look. A blonde woman, maybe in her mid thirties, waved to the two, but was too busy serving customers from behind the counter. A short line waited.

"After you," said Fulcrum, now in a more formal tone.

Erin walked in and automatically scanned the building, inventorying the doors and windows, taking stock of the people for any potential threats. A few people were looking at them, but less than she might have expected. Maybe blue and gold spandex was a look in this neighborhood. With a good idea of the layout of the place, she stepped into line and picked up a paper menu to give it a look. She wasn't really comfortable talking about hero stuff in the middle of the lunch line, so instead she looked up at her tall, tall companion. "What's good here?"

"The soups are absolutely divine. I think today the choices are lima bean and ham or chicken and rice. I recommend the lima bean," she answered, stepping in line behind Wander. "If you're a salad eater, the southwest salad has a nice kick. Their foot-long sandwiches aren't bad either. Good selection of meats and extras, especially the roast beef. It's a house specialty. And of course all the coffee and sweets are great."

A few more people looked up as her shadow moved over them. Strangely though, yes, not many of the folks gave them much attention. The identifiable regulars apparently were used to the giantess. Maybe blue-and-gold was a good look, or she ate here often. Either way the workers behind the counter seemed nonchalant enough.

Another woman in her early twenties with an over-sized smile looked over the counter. "Welcome to the Riverside Cafe! Will this be to go or dine in?"