House of L: Nevermore [IC]

Ecalsneerg

Chris had gone to the fledgling HQ he and Liz were constructing, just to make sure she was OK. But now it was evening, there were things he wanted to find out. Landing the Pitchoo in the Claremont grounds, he wandered out in his jeans and a t-shirt emblazoned with the Raven logo.

He headed towards Duncan Summers' office, hoping that he was in. This is... going to be an odd conversation. But I need to get some questions answered, or I'll be kicking myself. Cautiously, he rapped on the door with his knuckles. "Sir, are you in there?"

"Come in, Christopher," said the voice from behind the door. Duncan Summers was behind the headmaster's desk, with that usual look on his lined face that suggested he was as much a part of the furniture as the statue of the school's founder in the corner behind him. He got that short nod of acknowledgement that meant Summers both knew and liked you. "What can I do for you?"

"I assume you know of the explosion at the Lucas household earlier today," said Chris with a grave expression on his face. "That's sort of what I need to talk to you about." He paused for a second, gathering his thoughts. OK, let's start with finding out how much he was told.

"Have you been informed of what happened to James, Erin, Eve, Trevor and I during those events? Apparently only we remember it, and I don't know how much they told you, if they told, when or why, etcetera, yadda yadda."

Did a mountain scowl, or wrinkle? It was hard to say. "I've been briefed on what happened," said Summers gravely. "Including the details of Rick's disappearance. The Lucas family and I have been very close for many years." He folded his hands, studying Geckoman across the table, letting the teenager continue his story.

"Um..." Dammit, that's not particularly clear, is it? "Ok, to be clear, were you briefed on the details of, and occurences within, the parallel Earth Rick Lucas briefly transformed our world into it, before his son convinced him that he should stop." Chris stopped and took a deep breath. "To stop people repeating each other over and over, how much of that do you know?"

"I'm familiar with what happened, as well as some of the details of the altered timeline. I've had my suspicions that Rick was more than just a juvenile sidekick for many years now. But why don't you tell me what's on your mind, Chris?" asked Summers, sounding almost paternal. "You didn't come here to ask me what I was told."

"Ok, then," said Chris, leaning forward in his chair. Game time. "Why would it be, sir, that in a reality where Rick Lucas has brought back heroes from his sidekick days, to fulfil my apparent desire to be the Raven, that I end up adopted by the former Raven?" Hmmm... should clarify that one.

"The former Raven was you. And, unless there's something I don't know, that seems arbitrary."

Duncan hmmed. "No, I think that's a reasonable construction on Rick's part, given what he knows about my family history. I'm surprised Callie wasn't included in the altered timeline, but I imagine Rick would have kept her in New York. He was always uncomfortable with children directly inheriting the legacies of their immediate family members."

Cagey. "I dunno, at least legally, and near-definitely in the eyes of the adopters, an adopted kid is immediate family. Although the man was a colossal douche, so your theory has some merit." Chris stopped to think again for another second. C'mon, c'mon, how does one outsmart the Raven? "Thing is, the current female Raven refers to you as 'Old Man'. Sounds kind of like she thinks of herself as a successor." And who led to me meeting her to learn that? HEHEHEHEHEHEH

Duncan gave Chris a tired look. "Christopher, you should consider the fact that Richard Lucas was my friend for considerably longer than you have been alive before you go any further with that line of argument." He studied Geckoman, as if looking for a reaction. "I certainly won't pretend to condone what happened, or what my friend did to the world. But I understand how far despair can drive anyone, especially a parent, when they see part of their family die in front of their eyes. Believe me."

Chris's eyes narrowed. Really... the... no. He got up and kicked the chair backwards. "No. I'm not lying about what I think, just because you're a scary, scary man! I come here to find out what happened, because I think that what we got from a man trying to fulfil our deepest desires is important. I did not come to get convinced that he was in any way, shape or form justified."

He started listing things on his fingers. "My real parents? Dead. Midnight's parents? I overheard earlier, they were dead too. So, that's four confirmed deaths. Then, he killed my Lizzie. Not bodily, but after I crawled through fire and bullets and agony to pull her back from the brink? One brick, he turned her into a cackling sociopath in love with the 'Geckoman', a giant humanoid lizard thing."

Geckoman leaned forwards over the desk, until his nose was nearly touching Summers's. Don'tcrydon'tcry keep it together! "5 deaths. Likely more. 3 directly linked to me. And in my grief, how many did I kill?" Sweat beaded on his forehead as he tried to hold the man's stare.

"If you have children, Christopher, you'll understand that any parent who truly cares for their family would do anything for the sake of their children. Even if it's the wrong thing." Expressionless, he folded his hands and met Geckoman's eyes unflinchingly. "And if you live as long as I have, you'll understand the value of friends. I won't let a mistake in a moment of grief cloud the memory of the man who was my friend for forty years. He doesn't need your help to bury him." Pulling back from the eye contact, he asked, "Now, did you have anything else?"

Goddammit, see my point of view, old man! Wait... c'mon, tongue, say it aloud! Dammit. "He's not dead, y'know. He's not on this planet anymore, but I don't think he died. He'll come back one day, I'm sure of it. Because, for all that I refuse to accept he was justified, he loved his wife and son. He'll come back."

"So, yeah, I had one thing I wanted to ask, but was too scared to until this second." His voice and features softened again, and a sad frown replaced his anger. "I understand if you don't want to answer, but even in a complete lie of a reality, she was still, even for a while, my mom. She made me waffles for breakfast." He rubbed his eyes and sighed.

"What happened to Jasmine Summers?"

"Jasmine Summers saved my life from the consequences of a moment's carelessness. And in that moment, she showed me how far one person can go on behalf of another. Whether that's her husband...or her daughter. Jasmine Summers was my wife, Christopher. She was my...Lizzie." He sighed, ever so quietly, and said, "You've had a long day, Geckoman. Go home to your family."

"Yeah, it has been a long day," sighed Chris. "Thanks, sir." Feet heavy with leaden guilt at what he'd said, he trudged to the door and pulled it open.

Then he paused, turned his head slightly, and grinned. "You do know I'm not fooled, right?" And with that, he was gone with nothing but a wink and the soft thud of the doorframe.