Valkyrie News Index

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

"Valkyrie: The chosen warrior of Odin."

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

"Chosen Warrior of Odin, Destroyer of Evil, and Bringer of Justice."

"But my friends call me Vivi."

What is your full birth name?

"Vivian Kriger"

Where do you live?

"I live in Freedom City. Central city, to be exact. I have an apartment there."

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

"I'm 28. Born 1982.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

"Female."

How would you describe your heritage?

"Well, I traced it pretty thoroughly back in the day. Kriger is a Norwegian name, and most of my family comes from the area around Scandinavia."

How tall are you?

"Six feet. I'm tall for a girl."

What is your body type?

"I'm pretty slim, fit. But I do have some meat on my bones."

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

"Not that I know of, I usually am the picture of health."

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

"I walk confidently. I have as light a step as a girl my size can, and I'm graceful as I can be, but I'm no ballerina. Heels and I have disagreements all the time."

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

"I have fair skin, like any self respecting norther European. I have long blond hair, and blue eyes."

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

"How I wear my hair depends on my mood. Sometimes I wear it down, sometimes I braid it, others I put it up. With hair this long, it's easy to do a lot of things with it. You just need some imagination."

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

"At the risk of sounding immodest, yes. I know I'm good looking, if only by the looks the guys give me when I walk into a bar."

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

"Heh, I actually have a tattoo of Mjollnir on my lower back. But that's the only one, I swear."

Do you resemble anyone famous?

"If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, 'has anyone ever told you you look like Brittney Spears?" line I would be a rich girl. But I don't think I look anything like her.

Do you have a dominant hand?

"I'm right handed."

What kind of clothing do you wear?

"Usually, some sort of dress or skirt. If I have to dress down I put on jeans and a tank top. Weather permitting, of course. I often wear hooded sweatshirts and sweatpants if it's cold."

Do you wear makeup?

"Yes, but not a large amount of it. Just a touch here and there goes a long way."

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

"Well, I've never had a great singing voice, but I guess my voice is mid to high range. Mezzo-Soprano, I think they call it?"

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

"There's one thing that I do kind of unconsciously that annoys people sometimes. I drum my fingers. I've also been known to shake my legs when I'm sitting. I guess I have a lot of pent up energy. As Valkyrie, I'm like to adopt a totally different speech pattern. I'm not sure how it's been working out, yet though."

History

Where do you come from?

"well, I've always lived in the states, but I went to harvard before I came to freedom, so I guess that would be where I come from."

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I'm pretty far from where I started out. Some parts of new york are pretty far away.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Sure. Who doesn't we've all hung a flag outside of our house on july 4. And it think the government does what it can. It's all we've got.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

"It's home. Just like any other place. I miss it, but I'm happy here. I'm getting on with my life. I can't let a little homesickness get in the way of that.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

"I moved around a lot as a kid. I've been up and down the east coast. Sometimes it's hard for me to really call any of those places home. My family is currently in Reading, so I guess that's what I'd call home now."

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

"Well, I saw lots of people because I moved so much. So most of them were pretty different. You get used to it, though."

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

"Well, I don't like to admit it, but I can lie pretty well. Especially to boys. I'm not proud of it, and it made me develop a conscience real quick."

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

"Nope. Besides the moving, my childhood was pretty square."

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

"I think the first time I was old enough to understand how moving would actually affect my life, I was really upset. I was maybe five or six, and I can remember thinking how hard it would be to feel comfortable somewhere new."

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

"Yea, one of those things I'm not proud of: For a few years as a teenager every time we moved, I would pretend I was a totally different person. It's how I got so good at lying."

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

"The only school I stayed very long at was Harvard. I enjoyed it, but it was very hard."

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

"I left most of that stuff at home. When you're in college you don't really have room for all of those trinkets. Then when I moved from Harvard to Freedom for grad school, I only took what I had at college, which wasn't much. Besides, that's the type of thing your parents keep. I'm not the most sentimental of people, anyway."

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

"The call of the Gods is not something to be denied, mortal. We were called, and so we answered."

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

"No. It's all destiny, I suppose."

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

"I don't think so. Though I suppose there could be something intertwined with my destiny as Valkyrie that could come back from the past and bite me in the ass."

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

"I have in the past. But if I've learned anything in life, that's a horrible thing to do. I try to avoid it if at all possible these days."

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

"If it turns out there is something, I'll just have to deal with it when it comes up however it seems appropriate."

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

"Nope, I've been a pretty good girl my whole life."

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

"Alan and Jaime."

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

"Yes. The whole time."

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

"Neither of my parents ever really had a good job. We moved whenever my dad had to find a new one. So we were never in one place long enough for them to gain any standing."

Where are your parents now?

"Reading, PA. As I mentioned."

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

"We were practically gypsies."

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

"We had enough problems with all the moves without me acting up, so I always just tried to be as good as I could."

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

"They tell me that they are very proud of me."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

"No, I was an only child."

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

"No, sadly enough. With all the moving, I never really had time to get to know any of my extended relatives."

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

"No. I never knew anyone well enough to trust them well enough to confide in them."

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

"Nope. We're all perfectly wholesome people."

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

"Actually, this is something I've looked into. We trace our ancestry back to some of the higher ups in the court of King Harald III. At that point it all becomes hazy, so we're not sure who it was specifically."

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

"Nope. 28 and still single."

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

"I would love to have kids someday. But with everything going on in my life right now, I'm not so sure that now is the right time."

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

"Definitely someone strong. That's a must. I admit, I'm kind of shallow."

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

"I wasn't able to make too many close friends when I was a kid. We moved too much. I guess now that I'm living in one place, I'm just too out of practice at it. I know a few people, but no one who is really close to me."

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

"Well, I'm sure my parents would hear about it eventually, and maybe some of my classmates at college. I'm sure they would be worried, but I don't know that there's anyone who would worry about me enough to come chasing after me."

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

"Oh, there's been plenty of boys. I went out with a new guy every time we moved. I suppose I got too used to it. Maybe that's why I tend to be such a tease."

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

N/A

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

N/A

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

"Well, I did have a boy dump me right before prom one year. I ruined him for that."

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

"Myself, the Gods, and my family, are really the only important things in my life, besides my studies."

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

"Most of all, I trust the Gods. They keep me safe."

Who or what do you despise? Why?

"Ooo. Nazis. As a history buff, I have to hate those guys. Some of the most heinous crimes in history were completed by the Nazis, and we really have to learn never to repeat them."

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

"Honesty is important. Unfortunately, it's something I tend to lack. Bravery is also very important to me."

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

"Dishonesty. I hate it in others, and I hate it in myself. I feel like crap whenever I lie or trick someone, but I really can't stop myself sometimes."

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

"I've been keeping a secret identity so far. No one I know is close enough to me right now for me to tell them."

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

"I don't have a preference on style of operation yet. But when I am with a group, I find myself taking charge more often than not. Sometimes literally."

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

N/A

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

N/A

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

"Oh just the usual. Most of the great presidents. Washington, Lincoln, etc."

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

"Well, I stopped liking Clinton when he had that affair. And I never liked Nixon. He always came off as a creep. It all comes back to Dishonesty."

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

"Oh yes. More than anything else, it's satisfying. I think maybe I like fighting a little too much. Also, it feels good when you protect someone."

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

"If the Gods asked it of me. That's why I'm in this thing in the first place."

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

"Well, I think getting my degree is too much to hope for, but maybe in two years..."

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

"In twenty years? Archeological digs, or something in museums."

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

"There really isn't much I am afraid of. Probably thanks to knowing the Gods are behind me."

Is there anything you would give you life for?

"At this point, that list is pretty short. But I would give my life if the Gods commanded it."

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

"I have a very neutral stance on money. I don't love or hate it. I like having it, but would just as soon spend it. And I do like buying things for people. I think it both says something about your status, and helps you accomplish goals. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive."

How do you generally treat others?

"I try to treat others with respect. At least until they misuse it."

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

"I don't like to trust people initially, I know too well first hand how fake people can be sometimes. But it really doesn't take me long to win me over. That said, yes, I've been burned by the people I've trusted before."

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

"I am definitely outgoing and self-confident. Especially as Valkyrie."

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

"Well, it depends on my mood. But I've been known to make myself available from time to time."

What are your most annoying habits?

"Definitely the lying, and sometimes the little compulsive things I do like drumming with my fingers, but those are rather minor."

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

"Well, I've said that I don't like Nazis, but that's more of a mindset than a people. I don't associate Nazism with being German, that would be unfair."

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

"Dessert of any kind is really my favorite food. Especially ice cream. Things like that I like to savor, but if it is just a sandwich or something, I am more likely to gobble it down."

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

"Definitely mead. It's an acquired taste. Literally."

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

"Have you ever had one of those double fudge brownies? Those are to die for."

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

"I've never really been that keen on cauliflower."

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

"I'm partial to light blue. It's why Valkyrie armor is that color."

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

"I like club music. Anything that you can really dance to. I can't say that I really like that Emo music. It's really depressing."

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

"Coffee grounds are actually one of my favorite scents."

Do you have a favorite animal?

"I like dogs, but unfortunately, I can't have one in my apartment."

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

"The Orb of Fate. It was a gift from the Gods, and my duty is to protect it."

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

"I definitely prefer the more comfortable things. But that doesn't mean I can't rough it if I need to."

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

"If you've ever seen 'Dirty Jobs' pretty much everything on that show qualifies."

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

"How could anyone in my position not be religious? I've been letting the Gods dictate what I do with my life for some time now."

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

"Just the gods themselves."

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

"I don't worship at a church. I do it in my own way by following the orders of the Gods."

Could you kill? Have you killed?

"Despite all the power that I hold, I am not sure that I could bring myself to do that. Though if the Gods require it, I suppose that I must."

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

"The same that led me to all my convictions. The Gods are all powerful, and deserve to be obeyed."

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

"I suppose that depends on your definition of killing, I mean you can kill a robot, but it was never really alive in the first place, so does that really count?"

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

"I really am not sure there are words for those feelings. I suppose I would be horrified, outraged, and scared, all at the same time. I don't think I could forgive one of my friends for doing something like that. And if it was an enemy, it would only reaffirm my desire to destroy them."

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

"I would do everything in my power to reclaim it."

How would you react to public humiliation?

"Embarrassment. Is there any other way? I would also try and set things right."

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

"Well, it hasn't happened yet, knock on wood. But I would most certainly work to avenge them if it was purposeful. If it was accidental, I would just do my best to reconcile myself to the fact that they're now gone."

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

"Murder is probably the lowest you can get."

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

1. "Go skydiving."

2. "Go snorkeling."

3. "Have sex."

4. "Drive a race car."

5. "Pray that I've proven myself worth to the gods."

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

"Actually, my hero skills are pretty gloriously untrained. The only reason I'm as good as I am is because of the gifts the gods have given me."

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

"The Norn has been my closest guide. She was the one to originally tell me of the abilities of the Orb."

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

"There's nothing unusual about smashing people with a hammer."

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

"I work at a library currently."

What is your preferred combat style?

"Running head first into a fight, and causing as much damage as possible."

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

"Not as Valkyrie, though you could say that being Valkyrie is an honor in itself."

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

"I need to complete my studies in history, and I would like to be a better dancer, but that's about it."

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

"I am usually jealous. I just try to steer situations toward circumstances that highlight my own gifts, like smashing things!"

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

"I wake up, go to work, read, come home, and go to sleep. If I'm lucky I'll get the chance to prove my mettle to the Gods.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

"I like doing research on different people's theories about what happened in past cultures that are no longer around. I've just always liked that sort of thing. It's why I'm studying history."

What do you do for fun?

"I like to go out, you know, dancing and such."

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

"As Valkyrie, I am clad in blue steel armor which is summoned by the Orb of Fate. Along with it are the rust colored Gauntlets and leather Belt."

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

"I either like to wear dresses, skirts and a tank top, or Jeans and a shirt."

What do you wear to bed most nights?

"Pajama pants and a Tank Top."

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

"The only jewelry I always wear is the Orb. Other than that, I sometimes wear small earrings, and a bracelet, but I don't always do it."

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

"I have a lock box in my apartment that I keep them in."

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

"I don't have a car, so I usually take public transportation. I like trains better than buses."

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

"I have not, and don't plan on it. The Gods will handle those issues."

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

"None besides dental records, I suppose."

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

"A noble sacrifice on the field of battle."

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

"No unless it's through collateral damage."

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

"My fury in battle."

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

"My failings at trying to be honest."

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

"It's okay to lie sometimes. Just don't make it anything big, and don't compound your lies. Take things one step at a time, and eventually you'll be able to overcome that obstacle. Before you know it, you'll be bound for Valhalla."

Valkyrie

Gather Information

DC 10: Valkyrie is a true warrior, charging into battle with a warhammer and armor.

DC 15: The arms and armor that Valkyrie uses to fight crime are magical.

DC 20: The hammer that Valkyrie uses is rumored to be the legendary hammer Mjollnir. Her gauntlets and belt are actually the legendary artifacts Járngreipr & Megingjörð

DC 25: Valkyrie is a chosen warrior of the Norse gods themselves. She wields the Orb of Fate, which grants her the protection of the gods. Valkyrie is on a mission sent by the gods to prove her worth, and one day earn the honor of fighting in Valhalla.

Knowledge History

DC 10: Valkyries were warrior women of Norse legend.

DC 15: Valkyries were immortal beings akin to angels. The mortal version of these warriors warriors was the Shield-maiden. While Valkyrie is mortal, she claims the names of the immortal warriors regardless.

DC 20: Valkyries are servants of the Gods. They walk the halls of Valhalla and are privileged with serving the Gods their mead. It may be Valkyrie's goal to one day be worthy of this honor.

DC 25: Valkyries spend their days in Valhalla preparing for Ragnarok beside the spirits of fallen warriors, and the Gods themselves. Valkyrie is the embodiment of the Valkyrie Herja, the Godess of War.

Everything was white around her, a growing expanse of nothing, as far as the eye could see. Vivian whirled around, unsure of where she was. She strained her eyes, looking in vain for something, anything she might recognize. A landmark, or some part of the void that wasn't quite white, even. "Hello?" she called out, "Is anyone there?" There was no response.

Vivian felt a panic growing inside her. Her face flushed, and she swallowed hard. Then she thought she heard something from behind her. Vivian whirled in place once more, finding nothing but the unforgiving white expanse stretching forever in that direction as well.

"...Vivian..." whispered the shadow of a voice.

"Who said that? Who's there?" She turned once again, seeing nothing.

"Vivian," it was slightly louder this time.

"Who are you? Tell me!"

"Vivian!"

Vivian turned on her heel again, and let out a gasp. "Ahh!" Expecting nothing, she had been surprised to find another woman standing not more than a few feet away from her. Taking a step back, she begged the question again, "Who are you?"

"You know me," spoke the woman dressed in a breastplate, and furs. "We spoke once before." The woman advanced until their noses were nearly touching, the longsword at her belt, and the large steel shield on her back rattled as she walked. Vivian willed her feet to step back, to run, but they seemed intent on disobeying her. "I am the Norn that gave you this trinket." said the woman, gently lifting the golden chain from which hung the shrunken Orb of Fate.

"Yes," Vivian spoke quietly, "I remember now. You are the one from the ruins."

"That's correct," replied the Norn. She let the Orb fall back against Vivian's chest.

"Where are we? Why are we here? Has something happened? Does Odin or the other gods have need of me? Is it time for me to make my journey?" Vivan peppered the Norn with questions.

"Hush, child!" the Norn gently brushed Vivan's face with her hand. "So inquisitive this one is," She said, like she was talking to someone unseen. "Not like the others at all."

"Who are you talking to? And where are we?"

"No one, child." The Norn quickly responded, "We are Everywhere, and Nowhere. We are in the Beyond, and the In-Between. We exist, and yet we do not."

"I don't understand," Vivian protested.

"You will. In time, child. For now, know that you are safe." Suddenly, Vivian was surrounded by a light-blue aura, "And know that Odin is satisfied with your efforts." The nothingness suddenly began to fade, along with the Norn, "Though you cannot hear him, know that he speaks through me. You can do better, child. I know it." and suddenly all was darkness.

---

Vivian awoke with a start from a deep sleep. She sat bolt upright in bed, and could feel a cold sweat running down her entire body. She sat in bed for a moment, panting to try and catch her breath. Once she was relaxed again, she removed the sheets and stood up from bed. She removed the "Harvard" hoodie she had been wearing to bed, to try and cool herself down. As soon as the clothing was removed, she saw a soft blue light. The Orb which hung from a chain around her neck was glowing. It pulsated with a soft blue light. Vivian smiled, admiring it in her hand.

Vivian tossed the hoodie into the hamper across the room and crawled back into bed. Under the sheets once more, she curled up and sank into a deep, restful sleep, secure in the knowledge that the Gods were watching over her.

Time for another TV tropes page. I'm actively taking suggestions. I want this one to be good, and I know I'm not very good at this.

1. Let's start out with, When all you have is a Hammer. Valkyrie practically defines this trope.

2. She's really good at using that thing too: Drop The Hammer

3. And it doubles as a ranged weapon!

4. Valkyrie tends to be a Large Ham while in costume, favoring ridiculous speech patterns that only perpetuate stereotypes.

5. Action girl! To the rescue!

6. She is the Distaff Counterpart to THOR!

7. Her weapons were Forged by the Gods.

8. Her Hammer even has a Really Cool Name.