A Simple Plan IC

"I've been okay," Erin told him, turning back to the computer to cut and paste some results from the search she'd been running. "It's kind of weird," she admitted, "having people moving on and everything changing. I wonder what's going to happen with Young Freedom, especially if Mark can't bounce back enough to lead it. You're right about it being important, more than just high school friends." She hit the print button and caught the sheets that spilled out, passing them to Mike. "Here, you can call some of these companies, they might cater dinners for two."

Mike smiled and murmured "Thank you." as she passed the sheaf of papers over. He glanced over them as he continued to speak, "Well moving on doesn't mean moving away." he said, "I can't believe that any of us are really going to just up and be done with any of this just because of graduation and certainly not Chris or James." he said with a grin. "As for Mark he'll find himself again we just have to be there for him till then. And you or I or Alex or all of us can step up. We're bigger than any one of us." he said confidently looking up to her with a nod.

"I know," she told him, "but it's like, if you change something enough, it's never going to be the same again. And I liked it the way it was. Maybe it'll even be better eventually, but for now everything feels so unsure." She looked up at him, fiddling idly with the one blank sheet that she hadn't passed over. "I mean, it's barely been a year since you guys picked me up at the airport and we all came here together, but it seems like so much longer. It's nice to have someplace that's stable."

"I know what you mean." he agreed, "But I give the guys more credit than that." he said with a shrug, "And its still stable we're still all here really. Chris is even back to his old self." he says with a smile, "Things change but that doesn't mean its gonna be bad." he said with a confident nod. "Besides you'll still have Alex an me to bug you." he said with a wide grin.

"That's true," Erin allowed with a small smile. "I'm glad Alex decided to stick around even though she's pretty much gotten every class this place has to offer. It wouldn't be the same around here otherwise. And god knows I don't want to have to adjust to another roommate, or let them adjust to me." Erin didn't add the unspoken worry, that once Alex and Mike were engaged, she'd be even more of a third wheel. That wasn't really something for Mike to include in his calculations. "I guess it'll all work itself out eventually. How soon are you gonna ask her?"

Mike smiled to her, "Yea me too. I was worried when she went on this whole kick that she'd take off too." he admitted.

He looked down at the sheaf of papers, "Soon I think, gotta see if any of these places can do what I need and find a time we're both free but ... Soon." he said with a nod, he wanted to move forward on this as soon as he could now that he'd made up his mind. Of course that was normally his way, hem and haw over what to do or not but act quickly once he decided.

"Good luck," Erin told him, folding her sheet of paper into crinkled unusability. "Let me know if I can do anything to help, or if you need to use our room or something. I can clear out as easily as Mark can for a few hours, but your room does have the benefit of not being full of cat hair. Just make sure to tell us all the details afterwards."

Mike stood with a smile, "Will do." he said and laid a hand on her shoulder for a moment, "And thanks again Erin." he added as he turned to go and set his plans in motion. He glanced back to her before stepping through the door out, "And don't work to hard." he advised with a grin as he knew she would regardless after all she was Erin.