Could've Danced All Night (IC)

Electra

Erin chuckled, looking around a little nervously at all the people watching them. "Yeeeess..." she murmured, thinking back on it. "It was really unusual. Should I take a wild guess that we're about to make a spectacle of ourselves here?" She was definitely most comfortable when she was blending into the background, but what the heck. It wasn't as though she knew any of these people anyway, and it was cool to see Trevor so obviously into something. "Good thing I've got shorts on under this thing." She took his hands, thinking back over the obstacle course he'd been talking about and watching him for a cue.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The point was to be seen," Trevor noted as the dancers around them instinctively moved back, some confused by the sudden change in the music, others more familiar with the Hunter scion with realization spreading across their faces. The quartet's guitar player started in on the melody and the dark haired young man gave Erin's hand a reassuring squeeze. "Just like the obstacle course; pressure sensors on the floor tiles and infrared lasers moving through the air."

On the down beat, he swung her out so that they were standing next to each other facing the same direction, then pulled her back in so that their linked hands were in front pointing the way, with his other hand on her waist. A bar of shifting weight from front to back later, the pair exploded into movement as Erin was cartwheeled around Trevor's back and over his arm to land back on her feet beside him. The gala's other guests cheered or scoffed, but all eyes were on the dance floor.

It's just like a fight, Erin reminded herself, her eyes glued to Trevor's face as they moved together. Maybe she didn't have any dance training, but she was expert at reading the tiny eye and body movements that telegraphed where someone was thinking about moving next. Matching her footwork to his, she ducked under his arm and spun again to face him, jumping (not too high, now!) when he put his hands to her waist and lifted. Maybe there really was something to this swing dancing business. She laughed as he tossed her lightly, landing expertly even on the heels. She was caught up enough that she didn't even notice the one familiar face among the bystanders.

James watched as Erin and Trevor danced around the room. Near as he could tell (looking at it objectively), Trevor was pretty good. He had some real skill. He was leading Erin around expertly. Her natural athleticism and grace made up for any formal training in spades. And they made a great looking couple, sliding around the dance floor. Smiling, happy, and obviously enjoying each other's company. He had no idea how long they'd been together now but they certainly seemed happy. He looked on, just watching from the shadows. His face was a mask but inside it felt like his heart was being ground beneath their feet.

The smile remained fixed to Trevor's face as he deftly slid Erin to the right until she was nearly parallel to the floor before pulling her back into a low dip on his left. Her amazing strength and agility made the moves effortless, he marveled. Following the more experienced dancer's lead, she was able to provide her own momentum, giving their dance a weightless quality. Even holding back to avoid rousing too much suspicion from the crowd, their synchronized acrobatics were the most fun he'd had in a long time.

Some of the moves were pretty complex, especially in a dress and heels, and Erin thought she probably could've done a lot better with a little more practice. Maybe the next time they trained together, they could take a little time off for entertainment. Still, things flowed along very smoothly, and it was sort of fun to be flung around a little without ever actually hitting the ground. The music was obviously moving towards its finale as, with a murmured word of warning, Trevor turned and flipped her over his back and back again, then spun her out till they were at arm's length, twirled her, and brought her back in so they were nearly nose to nose, arms wrapped around each other. The audience burst into applause.

As the music ended, Trevor stood still for a long moment, looking into Erin's eyes and breathing just a little more heavily that the dancing should have required. "Well," the dark haired teen said, his soft voice carrying a hint of added throatiness, "I'd say you're a natural." Even with the song finished and the crowd filling the hall around them with noise, it felt as though they were very much in a world all their own.

"You're a good teacher," Erin replied, the triumphant grin of finishing the dance softening a little. "Maybe we could practice a little more, show off at that prom thing Alex is organizing." The music was going back to normal, people were beginning to come back onto the floor, but still she held on one second longer. She could feel the beating of her own heart against her ribs, nearly feel the warmth of his face against her own. For an instant, everything seemed to stop. Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of someone in the back of the crowd. "James?" she murmured quizzically. "What's he doing here?"

"Why, Miss White," Trevor started quietly, "Are you asking me to --" The young man was distracted in the same moment Erin was, though looking in the opposite direction, over her shoulder. The light smile slipped from his face entirely, though he quickly covered the expression with his usual stoic deadpan. "Going to grab some punch," he announced abruptly, apparently not hearing Erin's sighting of their classmate, and moving off into the crowd.

James clapped in applause along with everyone else as the couple finished. He'd already decided to approach them when they finished, even if they never saw him. Of course Erin's sharp eyes picked him out even as he had started walking through the crowd towards them. By the time James got there however, Trevor had vanished. James had no idea where the other youth had vanish but he didn't particularly care at the moment.

He glided through the crowd easily, walking up to Erin and giving a slight bow. It seemed to fit the more formal circumstances. Straightening, he flashed a smile at her, doing his best to keep the turmoil inside him well hidden. "Good evening Erin. You look absolutely gorgeous."

Erin grinned and gave him a somewhat clumsy curtsy, looking like it was something she'd seen in a movie rather than ever done herself. "Good evening, James," she replied. "You're looking very good yourself." It was true, too. James, like Trevor, always looked pretty doggone good, but there was just something about a guy in a tux. "I didn't expect to see you here tonight. Haven't seen you at the school in ages. Are you interested in the preservation of... whatever it is we're preserving here?" she asked teasingly.

James's smile never faltered. "Nor I you. You looked good dancing out there. Nice to see you having a good time." He looked around the room briefly. "Well, yes and no. You remembered the ship? Well, there's a whole zoo up there of endangered and extinct species. Quite a few a from Earth; sorta. I was just here to talk to some of the folks here about possible breeding, reintegration and even genetic samples. I couldn't tell you what this party is actually for otherwise." He gave a wry smile. "I hadn't really intended to stay beyond that meeting. When I realized you were here, I thought I'd watch the dancing and say hi before I ran off again."

"Pretty cool, huh?" Erin asked, scooting to the edge of the dance floor to be out of the way of the couples who were actually dancing. "Trevor does that sort of thing competitively, and he's really good at it. He was sort of dragging me along for the ride at some parts there, but I think we did pretty well. It was fun." She certainly seemed to be having fun, her cheeks a bit flushed under the careful makeup, her hair a little tousled. "But hey, that might make you one of the only people here tonight who actually came here to save the animals, so that's nice."

James nodded. "He is pretty good. Probably better than most here." It took a little effort to not say that he was better but he managed nonetheless. "Considering you haven't had a dance lesson, you were great. With a little practice, you could be winning competitions yourself." He smiled. "I have my moments I suppose. We'll have to see what they want to do."

"I imagine I'm barred from actual competition," Erin replied, "but I've been thinking about asking Trevor for a few lessons. It's kind of nice to have ways to apply all that training besides trying to punch things." She looked around to see where Trevor had gone, but the press of people was too thick to see very much. "You should take some more time to relax," she told James. "You missed supper, but they've got these little dessert trays going around. If they're as good as the meal, you shouldn't miss them. Even if they are vegetarian or vegan or whatever. Meatless brownies are something I can live with, I guess."

"Probably I guess. Still, that's no reason to not have fun." James nodded. "Dancing is certainly a lot of fun and a great way to relax. Trophies were never my thing but I was definitely ok with the fun part." He looked around, not hungry in the least though vegan food certainly had no appeal even if his insides weren't rolling around. "Maybe another time," he said wryly. "Speaking of relaxing, care for a dance? I don't want to take you away from you date for long nor should I be staying, but I think I can stay for that."

Erin looked around once more for Trevor, but had no idea where he'd gotten himself off to. "Sure, I'd like that," she told him. "It's been a long time since we got together and hung out in the evening." She stepped in closer to him, putting her hand on his shoulder and the other in his hand. "Just cut me a little slack, I'm still not really good at the steps or anything like that," she warned with a smile. "I'm pretty much faking it."

James nodded. "Yeah, it has been a while. I miss it. Soon as things settle, we'll have to find time to get back to that." He moved easily into step, lightly holding her hand and sliding his other to the small of her back. If it had been anyone else, any other time, James would have turned on the charm and that would have been that. But this was Erin and he wouldn't do that to his friends. Especially her. Especially now. Still, he couldn't help but thrill at the smell of her so close or the feel of her under his hands.

"You'll be fine. You've got more grace and control of your body than anyone in here. If you like though, I know a spell to smooth the edges out. So you're not 'faking it' such as it as, he said with a smile as they started to move.

Erin laughed. "That bad, huh?" she asked as they turned and swayed across the dance floor. Truthfully, she was doing a passable job of following his steps, though certainly nothing flashy like what she'd been doing with Trevor. "I think I've probably made enough of a spectacle of myself for one night. Gotta give all the people paying all the money to be here a chance to shine. What kind of animals are you talking about, anyway? Things like what, dodo bird, Tasmanian tiger?"

James shook his head just a little. "Far from it. I think you're great. But if you don't want to show off, I'll let it slide. For once," he said with a smile, ignoring the slight grammatical slip. He was perfectly happy doing this with her, even though he knew it wasn't going to last. "Ah, yeah. To name a few. There's a few on the endangered list too. I haven't actually cataloged everything yet. I'll get there." He didn't have the heart to do anything but enjoy the moment. She was happy and he couldn't bring himself to jeopardize that. No matter what he wanted.

"You're all heart," she told him with a grin, patting his shoulder. Dancing with him like this, with his arms around her and their faces just a few inches apart, it was impossible not to feel a tingle. Erin was, after all, alive, female, and heterosexual. But she ignored it and concentrated on the fun of spending time with a friend. James was her best guy friend, and James was a player who dated (more or less dated) really pretty girls. Those two things were true, and she tried not to let the latter bother her. It was just who he was. "One of these days you have to give me a tour of your ship when we're not trying to save the universe."

Even so soon after being the center of attention, Trevor showed an uncanny ability to blend into the crowd, slipping past the other dancers and making his way the buffet table like a well-tailored shadow. The only eye that remained fixed on his as he strode purposefully forward were those of the young woman standing next to the punch bowl, a frosty smirk on her lips. One could argue that she wasn't classically beautiful; her nose turned up a little too sharply and her rounded cheeks played oddly with a narrow chin. Even so, her features combined in such a way with the black cherry tresses that fell over one forest green eye to create a whole that was very much greater than the sum of its parts, and all the more attractive for its uniqueness. Trevor noted her strapless green dress with forcefully maintained detachment.

She always wore green.

"Maeg," he intoned emotionlessly, more a statement of fact than a greeting.

The dancer set her cup of punch down on the table next to her. "Hello, puppy," she returned in a silky purr.

Maeghan crossed her arms as Trevor stepped to the table and set about pouring a pair of glasses from the punch bowl. "As I recall," she began, her voice a smooth mix of wry familiarity dipping into suggestive bass, "you never used to like showing off at parties."

"Completely missing the point," Trevor replied tonelessly, not looking at the dancer in the green dress. "As usual."

Touching the hair draped over the right side of her face slightly, she gave the lithe youth a sweet, predatory smile. "Well, I suppose that's for the best. You'd want to teach your little friend about 'rhythm' before trying to impress anyone, hmm?"

Trevor continued pouring the punch. "Stay away from her, Maeg."

She laughed, a throaty exaltation. "Aw, puppy thinks he's a guard dog. Ruff!"

Rounding about, the dark haired young man towered over her, eyes narrowing as he continued in the same level tone, barely more than a whisper. "You know, never liked that pet name even when we were friends. Stay. Away. From her."

Maeghan reflexively took a step back, her sultry superiority slipping for a fraction of a second. Recovering quickly, she reached forward to run a finger down the seam of Trevor's slate grey vest. "If she belonged here, I'd know about her already," she murmured playfully. "I wonder, does she know what you are?" Her former partner was silent, not moving a muscle. "Ooh, or maybe she is one of you?"

With shocking speed, Trevor snatched Maeghan's hand, then slowly pushed it away from his chest before releasing it. Picking up the pair of full glasses from the buffet table, he turned and walked back into the crowd, simply saying, "And stay away from me."

He gave a wry smile. "The other me was something of an activist I guess. He went out of his way to save species. Even went so far as to try and breed them back to a viable population. It's the least I can do to try and keep that going." It wasn't something he would have ever thought of even a year ago. So much had changed since then, it was simply hard to believe it had only been a year. And now he was in love with a girl. How the wheel turns.

He gave a little smile, hearing the music head towards the close of the song and knowing it meant the end of this dance. "Whenever you want. It's not a small ship though so even the short tour isn't too quick. You've got my number, all of them actually. When you want, give me a call." He took a last moment to relish the feel of her in his arms, her body under his hands, the smell of her, her proximity, before the music ended. He buried his sigh of regret as the music stopped though he continued to hold her just a fraction longer than he maybe should have after the music stopped. Finally he stepped back, still holding her hand. He bent down to kiss the back of her hand. "Thanks for the dance Erin. It was one to remember. I really enjoyed dancing with you." He looked past her as he straightened. "But I think your date is on his way back," he said, proud of himself that he didn't let any of his emotions slip into the words.

Erin studied James as he kissed her hand. He was saying all the right things, but his attitude seemed a little strange, sort of distant. The smile on his face wasn't really in his eyes. She almost asked if everything was okay, but decided that if it wasn't, he wouldn't want to talk about it in front of a roomful of strangers anyway. She'd catch him later, somehow. "It was fun," she told him, giving him a smile she hoped would encourage him if he was feeling bad. "I'll see you later, okay? Take care of yourself."