The Battle of the Bands (OOC)

Rift, have 1HP for suffering so much dice-hate last round.

Round 3

Zephyr: 57, 1HP

Chicken Sticks: 16, NPC, Bruised, Stunned, Fatigued, Prone

The Maestro: 15, NPC, Bruised x2, Unconscious, Deafened, Prone

Geckoman: 14, 4HP

Breakdown: 13, 4HP, Entangled

Hellion: 11, 6HP

Rift: 8, 2HP, Bruised x3, Stunned, Prone

The Green Man: 8, NPC

Animated Trees (499): 8, NPC

Spellbound: 4, NPC, Prone

Rift's Flight and Force Field powers are currently inactive.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Green Man's Regeneration doesn't have the -Source flaw. I just thought that image was cool.

Zephyr

Free Action: Reconfigure Invisibility array to Concealment (Limited [Moving]).

Standard Action: Use Rapid Attack to Aid every hero in the park simultaneously.

Aid check (DC10): 33. She didn't roll a natural "1," so she's good.

Every non-villain character on the Initiative list gets a +2 bonus this round, which they can apply to either a single attack roll, or to their Defense against a single attacker for the round.

And the trees are going to be Aiding and Combined Attacking now that our house rules allow it, so I don't have to roll so many dice and you won't have as many saves to reroll. Most of you will probably only have to defend against one attack roll per round now, so saving the bonus for Defense might not be a bad idea.

Then again, a free 2 points worth of Power Attack is tempting...

Free Action: Reconfigure Time Control array, to the Insubstantial AP.

Free Action: Activate Insubstantial.

Move Action: Move to a position adjacent to the Green Man.

Free Action: Use Extra Effort to Surge.

Free Action: Deactivate Insubstantial.

Standard Action: Use the Moving Feint power feat against the Green Man.

Zephyr's Speed power check: 22.

The Green Man's Sense Motive check: 11.

The Green Man is Flat-Footed against Zephyr's next attack. His Defense drops to +4 (DC14).

Hero Point: Zephyr burns 1HP for the Setup feat, and passes her Feint along to the first hero this round who attacks the Green Man.

Zephyr will become Fatigued on her next action if she doesn't gain a HP before then that she can use to buy it off.

Round 3

Zephyr: 57, 0HP

Chicken Sticks: 16, NPC, Bruised, Stunned, Fatigued, Prone

The Green Man: 8, NPC, Flat-Footed (Against next attack)

Animated Trees (498): 8, NPC

Quote, Chicken-Sticks is up, followed by Ecal with Gecks, and then Quote again with Breakdown.

Actually, Chicken Stix is stunned and, as a HP-less NPC, remains so. Geckoman is up.

Geckoman has 4 HP.

And then spends one on a Heroic Feat... Quick Change. Unfortunately, in protecting my identity, I can no longer temporarily acquire Takendown Attack to fight four trees, as you can spend a HP on acquiring a feat once per turn. So... I'll headbutt only one :(

Free Action: on Quick Changing into GECKOMAN!!!

Move action: Taunt, taunt, taunt the tree! Skill Mastery Improved Taunt gives me a DC 32 demoralise effect... which may not actually work on the Animated Object. Sadly, I lack anything better to do with my move action, and in doubt, will shout abuse at shrubbery.

Standard action: Headbutt a tree. Taking 10 to hit, that's... 20, and I'll just stick the +2 aid in my defence this round, since I assume 20 hits the Large tree. DC 19.

Actually, Chicken Stix is stunned and, as a HP-less NPC, remains so.

So he is. Thanks for catching that.

Geckoman is up.

So he is.

The trees are DC9 to hit, so yeah, you clobbered it.

Tree's Toughness save (DC19): 10. It is Destroyed.

Since it doesn't have 1+ in all 3 mental Abilities, the Tree is indeed immune to Interaction Skills, and thus, your Taunt. However, I'm gonna rule that the Green Man gets hit with it. And with his +8 Sense Motive, he can only hit DC28, so there's no way he can resist it. So on top of everything else, the Green Man now has -2 to his attack rolls, saving throws, and checks until Geckoman's next action.

Geckoman gets 1HP because I found his repartee entertaining.

Round 3

Chicken Sticks: 16, NPC, Bruised, Fatigued, Prone

The Green Man: 8, NPC, Shaken, Flat-Footed (Against next attack)

Animated Trees (497): 8, NPC

And yes, the Trees are Minions, so you guys can take 10 on any attack rolls. And their Reflex save is +0, so they'll automatically fail against any General Area attacks of power rank 11+.

Breakdown

Free Actions: sustain powers

Free Action: Re-Allocate Music Mastery

Immunity 5 (Entrapment) [5pp]

Drain Toughness 13 (Extras: Linked: Damage, General Area/Burst, Selective; Flaws: Unreliable 50/50 chance, Action/Full Round) [13pp]

Damage 13 (Extras: Linked: Drain Toughness, General Area/Burst, Selective; Flaws: Unreliable 50/50 chance, Action/Full Round) [13pp]

Flight 2 [4pp]

Free Action: Activate Immunity, slipping out of entanglement.

Move Action: Fly to area between Chicken Sticks and Rift

Extra Effort: Move Action Surge

Full Round Action: Activate Linked Drain/Damage power. Target all hostile targets within 65ft. No civilians, no heroes, no Maestro (He's hurt enough as is), no Structures. Provokes DC 23 Reflex for half damage on a DC 23 Fortitude (16 if halved) [Toughness Drain] and then DC23 Reflex for Half Damage on a DC28 Toughness Save (21 if halved) [Damage]

Drain Toughness 13 (Extras: Linked: Damage, General Area/Burst, Selective; Flaws: Unreliable [5/day], Action/Full Round) [13pp]

Damage 13 (Extras: Linked: Drain Toughness, General Area/Burst, Selective; Flaws: Unreliable [5/day], Action/Full Round) [13pp]

I'm not going to approve using a VP for an -Unreliable power of the "uses per day" variety, because there is no reason you can't just acquire a non-Unreliable version of the power on the following round (or at any time after). Choose another Flaw or lower the power rank.

I'm cool with everything else, though. Thank you for exercising a little restraint - I know you (or Z, for that matter) could have killed them all in one round if we were a bit less dramatically-minded. 8-)

That's fine, Q.

The trees can't make the DC23 Reflex save, so they'll have to save against the Drain and the Damage at full effect. They are living creatures, with Constitution scores and Fortitude saves, so they do get a normal save against the Drain.

OK, a 65ft radius / 130ft diameter circle on my battlemat (5ft squares) basically gives me a 26 x 26 square area with the corners cut off, which comes out to about 676 5ft squares. Each Medium-sized character takes up one of those 5ft squares, while each Large character takes up 4 of them (a 10ft x 10ft area). There's a 1:1 ratio of Medium spectators and superheroes to Large animated trees, with each tree taking up x4 as much space as a puny human. That leaves about 340 squares each devoted to humans and trees. 340 tree squares, divided by 4, gives me 85 trees in the area of effect. (It's actually quite a bit less than that, but to say I'm playing "fast & loose" with the math is something of an understatement.)

Fortunately for my sanity, Minions suffer the worst possible result of Staged saving throws, so any tree that fails the Drain save by even 1 point drops from +6 Toughness to -5.

Tree Fortitude saves (DC23): 19 pass, while 66 fail.

19 Tree Toughness saves at +6 (DC28): All 19 fail.

66 Tree Toughness saves at -5 (DC28): All 66 fail.

85 Animated Trees are completely obliterated. Breakdown, Chicken-Sticks, and Rift all have some breathing room.

Round 3

Breakdown: 13, 3HP

Animated Trees (412): 8, NPC

Cyroa, Hellion is up.

:xd: I made those 170 rolls for nothing. Every single save Breakdown just provoked was impossible for the trees to make. He didn't even need the Drain, because the Toughness DC was already higher than they could possibly roll.

Quote, have 1HP for Breakdown, and let's move on. Cy, you're up.

Round 3

Breakdown: 13, 4HP

Animated Trees (412): 8, NPC

Blast 10 [Fire] (Extra: Autofire x1; PFs: Accurate x4) (Fireball/Flamethrower!) w/ power attack for +5

power attack on Greenman (1d20+7=20)

spending an HP to surge (down to 5 now)

Note: if he drops from first attack, I'll be doing an Hellfire area on all the trees.

but in case he doesn't, here's the roll:

2nd attack! (1d20+7=14)

which stinks. (I'll HP that; so if used, I'll be down to 4 HPs)

2nd attack! (HP for reroll) (1d20+7=23)

OK, you said in chat that you're using Z's Aid bonus on this attack, so that's a 22 total, which is 8 over the Green Man's DC14 Defense. So you get +4 damage from Autofire, on Blast 10, with +5 from Power Attack, for a total of +19 Damage.

The Green Man has +14 Toughness right now, but with a -2 penalty from being Shaken.

The Green Man's Toughness save (DC34): 14. He fails by 20, so he's Unconscious.

His Knockback Resist is 15, and the Blast damage bonus (not counting Autofire or Power Attack, which I never do) is 10, so he's not knocked back. But he does fall Prone when he falls Unconscious. Not that it matters at this point. ;)

Congratz, Cy. First time a villain failed a save against Hellion this entire thread, and you one-shot KOed the Big Bad. :golfclap:

No need for a Surge or a second HP burn - when the Green Man goes down, all those trees go inert and plant themselves in the ground.

Cy, go ahead and do your IC combat post, then I'll do an IC follow-up post, and that'll be it for combat rounds.

The rank 12 Snare has Toughness +12. As an object, it needs to fail a save by 10+ to be Disabled, and thus, rendered useless (freeing the captives).

It saves the first time, then fails the next 3 saves by less than 10, picking up an Injury each time, until the 4th attempt finally breaks them.

So it takes Rift 5 rounds of playing to finally shred the roots enough for the bystanders to slip free. That's 30 seconds, not really long at all. He got in a wicked guitar solo.

• 2 weeks later...