The Best Part Of Waking Up (IC)

"Really?" Robin quirked an eyebrow in mock surprise. "You mean there's people who don't need a cotton candy fix at eight A.M?" She smiled, bright teeth dazzling against her dark complexion, and started tugging Wesley towards the entrance to carnival. "Come on! Maybe there's matinee prices!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wesley smiled when she smiled. Happiness was always infectious, it seemed especially with her. When they got to the ticket stand the man at the booth told them that it was free! This seemed suspicious to Wesley at first, but hey, free is an awesome price! The man at the booth said it was a trial deal for their early morning attendees. Which made Wesley less worrisome, but still a bit perplexed. "So, what's your favorite part," Wesley asked Robin as they walked down the boardwalk, "I don't think there's anything I haven't done here. So you just ask and I'll take you there."

Robin made a noise in her throat as she considered her options. "Let's go to the shooting gallery," she said. "I've always wanted one of those bears bigger than me, you know?" She laughed at the mental image of herself, serious protector of the innocent and defenseless, out sized by a stuffed, plush teddy bear.

• 2 weeks later...

"Sure," Wesley said excitedly. He was an excellent shot. Thrown or ranged. He kept his skill up since high school. No slacking there.The air began to cool as they made there way to the gallery, which was strange to say the least. But maybe it was one of those freak phenomenons that have been known to happen in this city. Wesley subconciously kept his guard up. The gallery shooting was easy enough. Aim. Shoot. Ping! Aim. Shoot. Ping! Aim. Shoot. Ping! Man this was fun. Hopefully Robin was enjoying it. After all was said and done, not of the targets stood. The barker smiled, "Pick your prize!" Wesley looked to Robin with a smile, "Go ahead."

Robin was impressed when Wesley managed to hit all the targets on his first go. She picked the biggest stuffed animal they had -- a fuzzy pink elephant with a felt beer bottle sewn to one hand -- and clutched it to her side, one arm around its neck, while she snaked the other through Wesley's arm. She leaned against him as they walked through the fair, taking comfort from the chilly weather in his body heat. Part of her was surprised that it was getting colder as the sun climbed, not warmer, but she pushed it to the back of her mind. "You're a very good shot," she said. "Were you ever in the military?"

"Oh no," Wesley chuckled, "Nah. I just did a lot of sports in high school. I kept on my game afterwards. I could have went into college or the military if I wanted, but I found out I had a gift. Well, two gifts." He smiled, "And I wouldn't have met such an interesting woman if I did." The cool air was condensing into fog quickly. Like, TOO quickly. Within the time from the cool air setting in and now, it was barely visible ten feet away. Wesley looked around. "Weird."

The cold seemed to settle in Robin's mind and bones, pulling her away from the pleasant diversion this day was becoming. "Yes," she said softly, "very weird." She pushed away from Wesley, standing an arm's length apart from him, pushing her senses out through the clammy, clinging fog. "Wesley," she called, "I know you have some tricks up your sleeve. Would you be astonished to learn I can do something flashy things, too?"

Robin feels that there is something in the midst of the mist. Something not right. Something very very dark. Her visual senses are over loaded as her eyes sting as long as she looks at the fog. Though her pin-point vision tells her that The vendors are not what they seem. They too are very very dark. Demonic taint covers their very soul if they are not demons themselves!

"I would be," Wesley nodded his head matter-of-factly. Of course. You couldn't step ten feet without meeting another super in this city. Not that that was a bad thing. He had met some very nice people that were in his 'line of work'. He stepped back as Robin pushed him away. He could only imagine what was going to happen next. It was always a show with the types that wanted to show off. He waited to see what would happen.

Robin bent over double, her eyes streaming with tears as the hostile energy burned her mind. After a moment she straightened slowly, her eyes red and an ugly expression on her face. "If you're gonna fight rough," she muttered, "better not be afraid to get pushed back." The sorceress held out her right hand and with a crack of displaced air and a flash of expended energy, a slim ashwood staff appeared in her grip. She pulled it close to her core for a moment before placing it on the boardwalk in front of her, muttering under her breath.

It took a moment, but the staff began to shine with a blue-gray light as soft-edge sigils appeared, floating just over the grain of the wood. The wind began to turn around Robin in a slow clockwise motion, churning the edges of the fog closest to her, and spreading rapidly to engulf most of the fair.

• 3 weeks later...

The fog began to dissipate and the air was clear. All was normal in the area of no fog. The sun was shining as it had rose early. Robin could feel no dark presence anymore. It was like the fog was never even there! But the fog quickly began seeping back into the non-fogged area. The dark presence seemed to be demanding to stay.

Wesley watched the sorceress do her work with a little bit of awe. He always loved it when he watched a hero work. One that looked so pretty didn't hurt either. Then she was in pain! He stepped forward to check on her, to see if she was OK, but before he could, she had an answer to the pain. And then all the weird fog was gone. Everything was good again. He stepped to her, "Are you OK?" But slowly the fog drifted back into place. and it was dark again. "What just happened?"

Robin glared at the fog coiling around them. "Something's in the fog," she said, her tone terse. "Something evil, I think. I can push it back for a little while, but I think we need to figure out where it's coming from." The sorceress planted her staff on the boardwalk and stretched her hand out, trying to sense where the greatest concentration of magical energy was. "This could take a bit," she added. "Watch my back."

The whole air around her felt magical. Mystical evil energy swirled around in it. Some were in the air. some were standing around in. But they were dark an malevolent. Nothing short of evil. This time she did not get 'demonic' from the reading. it was more like a nightmare scape. It felt like everything your dreams twisted into nightmares could be found here. Surely there were demons in Robin's past a few she new by name, but their was stronger forces here. Much stronger forces. It seemed to get stronger and darker as her sense of touch got towards the shore, but it was too dark. When she stretched her senses that way it seemed to guide her away. First witha gentle nudge, the a push, then something that felt like it was piercing her magical touch. It hurt for only a second, but hurt it did.

Wesley nodded and did as he was told. Robin was certainly very powerful it seemed, so when she needed help, Wesley knew it was a dire need. She stood there, barely moving in between incantations. It looked like she was there, but she was was obviously way far out. As she gracefully moved, he couldn't help but be distracted. But he did his job, watching out for anything weird and/or evil. He could see nothing but thick fog. maybe about 10 foot away at most. It was quiet and sort of peaceful in it's cold dewiness.

Robin broke out of her trance with a start, flexing the hand not holding the staff gingerly. "Towards the water," she said, facing that direction herself. "Whatever's causing this, it's down by the shoreline. Let's go," she added, pushing her staff out in front of her. Within moments the windstorm sprang up around her again, pushing back the ominous fog and letting the pair make their way unimpeded.

On the edge of the wooden boards now, Robin took a chance and raised her mystical sight again. It was a gamble, seeing as how the evil energies has attacked her directly last time, but she felt the need for haste right now. Who knew how many innocent people were caught up in this fog?

Robin's eyes were opened to the magical evil. As she walked towards the shore it became more apparent at Wesley was totally oblivious to what was going on in the magical world. Black shadows that could only be described as nightmare incarnate surrounded the area. The nightmares seem to cover her oblivious partner as she got closer to the source seemingly consuming his dreams and turning them into visible nightmares for Robin to see. He still held on to her hand, happily following her.

Robin shivered slightly as she moved through the fog, feeling its energies slide over her skin and press on her senses. It wasn't a pleasant sensation in the least, but Wesley's hand on hers encouraged her to move forward until she was at the edge of the boardwalk. There, she planted her staff and summoned the winds again, casting her gaze about her and looking for the source of the malevolent magic. Unfortunately, all she saw was Wesley being ripped apart with the fog, spun away into the sky. "Wesley," she screamed, reaching up for his tattered image.

Indeed Wesley was gone with the magical fog being gone. But not that he knew it. All was perfectly fine. He and Robin stood on a foggy beach. Though he did feel a bit tired. He watched her do her little air trick. Though this time it didn't work. Well, at least to him it didn't work. He stood on the other side. When she yelled his name he was confused. "I'm right here." Though Robin did not see or hear the comment.

Quickly the fog set back for Robin. And Wesley was back, still shrouded in the same shadow she saw before. "Is everything OK? Do you see something? Are we there? What's wrong?"

Robin breathed a sigh of relief, lightly touching the arm of the Wesley she could see. "This place must be getting to me," she said. "For a minute there I thought you were... well, never mind." She nodded down the boardwalk, farther away from the river. "I think it's coming from over there," she said. "Whoever or whatever is controlling this, they should be over there. So stay close." Robin set off in the direction she had indicated, her staff before her cutting a path through the fog.

Wesley nodded, knowing that Robin would not steer him wrong. He couldn't see anything in this fog really. Just him and her. And a healthy dose of tiredness. Really, he couldn't understand why he was so tired. He didn't show it to her though. He smiled and followed his guide through the fog.

Darker and dark the shades grew as Robin trudged out on to the beach. It was foreboding. Like the fog itself didn't want her there. This zone she entered with her mystic senses was eerily quiet. She could only hear her own voice. Wesley was getting more and more muted as they walked along.

It got darker than dark. All Robin could see was herself and feel the ground beneath her, but that was it. She heard something in her head. It sounded like a hive of voices stalking. Some male, some female, some young, some old, all droning with no emotion. "You have entered a place where you are not yet supposed to be. Tell us, Robin, your fear of dying. Is it still strong? The nightmares you have had since you started plying your fantastic trade. You have been on our list for a long time, but now is not your day. He, however, is ripe for the picking. His fear is succulent. Now, Robin, if you would leave us be."

• 2 weeks later...

Robin shivered as the voice spoke to her. This place was deeply unpleasant, and when the voices sounded it was with a sensation like a cold wing blowing across her soul. The sand underneath her feet wasn't always table, like the bedrock far beneath it was shifting slowly. She kept her extra senses firmly clamped down; she was fairly certain that she didn't want to know who, exactly, was talking.

Still, she didn't need to see the speakers to know how to respond. The sorceress stuck her staff in the sand and the spoke in a loud, carrying voice. "Your agreement is void," she declared. "You will not be carrying anyone off without their consent. Not as long as I stand."

"Very well, then, Robin" the omnivoice replied, "You have a destiny to fulfill." Robin felt an all too familiar lurch in her stomach as her center of gravity moved. She was free falling. Like the night before, and the night before that and the night before that. She plummeted towards the ground, closer and closer it got... but she realized something. She wasn't actually falling. She felt the ground beneath her still. She was still standing, like she told the omnivoice before. The omnivoice's droning turned slightly annoyed. "You are still here are you? We had our reservations about you. Still, If you think you can starve us by taking food out of our mouth, do so. There's more than one fear-addled person in the world. One day, you too will be ripe. Then there will be no talking. We will see you then."

The darkness surrounding Robin dissipated. The magical fog was gone. Wesley stood next to her with a confused look on his face. "Are you OK, Robin," he asked putting a comforting hand on her shoulder, "you stopped for a moment and the fog disappeared. Is it over?"

Robin felt herself falling, felt the terror wrapping around her, squeezing her heart. But she wasn’t asleep, and this wasn’t a dream. The sorceress focused her will in a blade and drove it at the voices, slicing through their illusions. They tore like wet paper in a high wind, and as the dark place faded she almost caught a glimpse of what they were.

She came to half-leaning against Wesley, pallid and sweating clammily. She gripped his shoulder in one hand and her staff in the other, holding them both tight enough to turn her knuckles white. She was breathing raggedly from the effort of fighting off the seeming, but her eyes tracked over his face properly.

She swallowed, feeling her dry throat close up painfully, but after a minute she was able to speak. “I’m fine,†she answered him. “I just… went away for a little bit.†She looked around herself, opening her inner eye just a crack. “What happened?â€

Robin was nothing with her magical sight. Well, besides the things she was carrying.

"You went away," Wesley asked alarmed, "But you were here the whole time. You stopped for a moment. I asked if you were OK and then like a second later the fog vanished and you said you were fine." Wesley looked around, "I'm guessing the fog was something magical then, huh?" He looked at her again with a smile that was trying to hide confusion and failing, "Are you sure you're going to be OK?"