The Best Part Of Waking Up (IC)

Riverside is home to many small businesses. Wesley Knight happens to run one of those businesses: Knight's Ink, a body art studio. But now it is morning. Wesley happens to be waking up after a fitful night of sleep. It was the dreams that kept him from his precious sleep. He never stopped having them, but some nights they were easier than most. Taking a shower, helps to get the morning blahs away, but what he really needs to get stirring is his coffee. He can either make it himself or go out to get it. "Forget that," he mumbles to himself and heads out to the coffeehouse down the way. The Sorcerer's Brew stays open all day and all night. Thee guy who runs it is either a robot or dead or something, because he's always there. Wesley doesn't care, just as long as he gives him the coffee. Making his way in he finds the shop empty. Just the owner is there. Not unusual for this early in the morning. "Mornin Ralph," Wesley smiles as he takes a seat at the counter. "Mornin Sam," the guy behind the counter nods to the little joke he hears every morning, "The regular?" Wesley nods and the coffeetender goes to make the scalding black liquid.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The morning had been a productive one for Robin Cross, professional spell-slinger. She meditated at the foot of the Centurion Statue until the sun sat a full finger-width above the horizon, and now the carefully prepared amber chip fairly buzzed in her pocket, charged with the powers of the morning sun. It would be a potent weapon against any number of enemies, not to mention a useful power source. Now she walked around the quaint, bohemian neighborhood of Riverside, an emerald the size of her pinky nail hanging around her neck by a copper chain. That gemstone, too, was enchanted to absorb this particular memory; walking around the sleepy neighborhood, sounds of the city in the distance, something that drew her towards a little hole-in-the-wall store -- fresh ground coffee.

She willed the gem around her throat 'closed' and pushed the door open, stepping into the shop and letting her eyes adjust to the light inside. Someone was there ahead of her, though, so the sorceress patiently stood in line behind the man and read the menu chalked on one wall.

Wesley drums his fingers on the counter, waiting for his coffee to come. He hears the door open and wonders who else would get up for coffee at this insane hour of the morning. He turns his head to see an exotic looking woman walking in. She looks very nice and well rested. He doesn't want to bother her, so he turns back to the counter. When she walks up right behind him is when he gets curious. He turns his head around to look up at her. She's looking at the menu. Wow, she's much prettier up close. He turns his head to clear his throat and looks back up to her. He smiles, "Good morning"

Robin glanced down at the man in front of her. He was big and unkempt and possibly even scary, but she had a higher threshold for scary than most folks. She turned a brilliant smile on him, placing one hand -- her right hand, the one without the shield -- on her hip. "Morning there. You wouldn't happen to know if this place uses soy milk, does it?"

Wow, her voice is beautiful. Wesley nods keeping his friendly demeanor and trying not to stare, "Of course. I mean what type of coffee house doesn't these days." He chuckles and points up to the large chalkboard menu, "I'm sure they have every type of coffee fixing ever made written up there. And a few not made." He snickers. Standing up he politely offers her his chair. "How rude of me. Please, have a seat."

Robin did a double-take at the empty seat, then gave him another smile, smaller but more genuine. "Thank you," she said, taking the offered seat. She ordered a cappuccino from the barista, specifying 'real' milk, before she turned back to Wesley. "My name's Robin. I take it you know the neighborhood well?"

Wesley takes a seat next to Robin as she orders. His coffee is delivered as she does so. Taking a drink of the scalding brew makes everything better. Wesley wonders what the secret ingredient is, but he's not one to mess with secrets. He just knows that it's good. "Yeah, I own a body art shop just down the way from here. I live there too. I'm Wesley Knight."

Robin raised the coffee to her face, inhaling deeply before taking a small sip and setting it down. Her eyes stayed closed as she touched the gemstone at her throat, and for a moment she was very still. After a moment her hand dropped and she half-turned in her seat to face Wesley. "Body art," she said. "That's what they're calling tattoos these days, right?" Her eyes sparkled with curiosity and amusement as she asked, "Do your own work?"

What they're calling it these days? That rings some bells. Maybe I'll ask her later. "Yeah, we do tattoos, piercings and other things on special order." He shakes his head remembering some of the 'other things' people have paid for. "Oh yeah, I did a few of these myself," he is clearly happy for this accomplishment, "Most of my forearms I've done myself." He looks at one of the his arms on the counter then shows it to Robin, scooting closer to her. He points to a Chinese phrase on the side of his arm, "This one I'm really proud of. It says, 'May you find what you are looking for.' and, 'May you live in interesting times.'" He nods, "They're Chinese 'proverbs'."

Robin felt a laugh bubbling up as she imagined what the 'proverbs' actually meant. "Ah. Yes, very nice. Though, this," she added, pointing to a particular swirl on one of the letters, "shouldn't be there. It makes it something more like, 'May you squat in an attractive dog house.' Very nice work, though." She sat back again, taking another small drink of her coffee drink. "So you work in Riverside? Seems a pretty little neighborhood. I'm up by the university, myself."

Wesley looks at the tattoo again. She possibly doesn't know what she was talking about, or is joking, or both. He chuckles at the accusation. "Thank you very much." He sits back in his chair and takes another drink of his coffee. "University, huh," he smiles, "are you a teacher. You look like the smart type." Wow, did I just say that? Quick, think of something! "Yeah, it's pretty quiet around here for Freedom City," he nods, "Nothing to out of hand." He glows a dark red color for a split second and smirks, "I like to think so."

Robin laughed at the suggestion, a bright and cheery sound. "Stars and stones, no. I tried that once and it didn't go well. No, I run a magic shop a couple blocks off the campus, in the North End." she paused, suddenly unsure if she'd said too much. Freedom City saw more weird stuff in a week than mos urban centers did in a month, but it was still possible to weird folks out. Having someone fly overhead shooting lasers is one thing, sharing a cup of coffee with Laser Man is quite another.

Stars and stones, Wesley thinks, cute saying. She makes it work though. So she's a magical type. I wonder if she actually does magic or just stage tricks. "That's cool," he nods, "I've seen a few magic shops around these parts. Though the really cool ones you have to search for." He pauses for a second with a shocked blush, "I mean your store is cool too. I haven't seen it yet though." He takes another drink of his coffee, judging her reaction to his perceived silly faux pas.

Robin nodded along with Wesley's statement. "I've been around to some of the, uh, competition. I don't think most of them even really believe in magic." She took a drink from her cup, licking at her lips before continuing. "I can't believe that they can sell mass-produced charms and, and psychology textbooks, mouthing the words to their customers. It really makes me sick sometimes." Her sharp cheeks were touched by a darker color than the rest of her face; it was obvious that this was a heated topic for her.

Wesley can see and feel the anger in Robin.This is not good at all. He looks to her with a sympathetic smile, trying to cheer her up, "Yeah, you got think the get-rich-quick types would open a more profitable business in this city. Superhero memorabilia makes tons of cash. Though you have the skeezy types that want a different market all to themselves." He shakes his head. "Let me make it up to you. I'll pay for your coffee and show you some of the more interesting sites around here. How about it?" Finishing the cup, he slides the mug to the barista, silently waving to not bring another one.

Robin sat up a bit as she considered the idea, checking her watch. "Sure, why not? Store doesn't open until eleven, anyway. I'd love to see the neighborhood through a local's eye." She drained her mug in one long pull and set it beside Wesley's, eying the display of sweets next to the register. "Though, if you're paying..." The sorceress snagged an oatmeal cookie from the display, biting into it as she wandered to the door. She waited there for Wesley, watching him with a look in her eye that could be friendly, or simply challenging.

Wesley pays for the coffees and cookie. Though now, he has to find something cool in this area. Maybe we can end at the top odd the Centurion statue? That wold make for a nice show. Taking the receipt, he nods to the guy. He'll be seeing him another morning. Walk to the door, he smiles to Robin. "Alright, since it is early. Most of your late night attractions are closing. But I'm sure we can find a few things to look at." He opens the door for her, "First off I'd like to offer you something." As they exit the he reaches out his hand to her.

Robin followed Wesley out the door, taking his hand but staying at arm's length. It was an odd thing to say to a woman you just met, and though Robin could take care of herself better than most women, Wesley was a fairly large man. He might get the wrong idea. At which point, Robin thought to herself, I'll have to burn his nose off. Which would be the end to an enjoyable morning.

Still, she let Wesley pull her down the street. "What exactly is it you have to show me," she asked.

Wesley does not pull her anywhere. For a second he glows a shade of soft white, then Robin does as well. While this happens Wesley mentally notes that she is quite shorter than him. Not a bad thing, really. Robin feels two small indentions on her back. It doesn't feel painful, quite the opposite in fact. When the moment is over she has white feathery wings. "So I was wondering if you've ever flown before."

Robin looked back at the two wide, feathered wings spreading behind her. As she did, Wesley's intentions became apparent and her heart rate skyrocketed. She closed her eyes tightly and stood suddenly rigid, every muscle in her body tensed. She reminded herself that Wesley meant well, that he had no way of knowing about her mental hang-ups. It didn't really work, though, and fingers of dark blue flame began racing up her hands, over her tight fists and disappearing before they reached her shoulders. She opened her eyes and her pupils were two tiny points of flame. "Wesley. Get rid of the wings. Now."

Woah. Didn't see that coming. Really. How many magic shop owners are really that magically empowered? I mean the back lot shops around here have a few that know some real magic, but this is a first. "I'm very sorry," Wesley says in a calming voice, "I didn't mean to freak you out." He reaches out and gently holds one of her fists with both of his hands. They once again glow a slightly off white color. Robin feels the same pleasant feeling as the indentions in her back swallow the wings and disappear. Not a good way to start this little trip. Those eyes would burn in his mind for a while. "Please forgive me," Wesley apologizes, "I know it was strange."

Robin glanced behind her to confirm that the wings were gone, and once she was certain she started breathing slow and deep, forcing her heart rate down to a more normal level. She consciously relaxed each tense muscle group in turn, and once she was standing easily again the woman brushed a lock of hair out of her face with her free hand. "It's not that," she said. "I mean, it is that. It's freaky to have someone put wings on you when you're not expecting it. But beyond that I... I don't like heights. I don't like tall buildings, or flying, or anything that gets me too far off the ground." The sorceress opened her eyes, which had returned to their normal color, and Wesley a wan smile. Her fist uncurled and her hand took his in a light grip. "Perhaps you could show me Riverside from the ground?"

Well, no Centurion statue then. Wesley nods as he listens to her problems. "Yeah, I understand." Hopefully I can make things better. She's trying to look happy. When she takes his hand, he smiles, trying to hold a blush back. He looks towards the rising sun to do so, "Looks like it's gonna be a clear day." As they begin to walk, he looks to her again, "So, I was thinking we could start up front and then work our way back. The store district is nice, but you gotta see our local boardwalk. It's got a few things I think you'd like." He nods again, "It's a hike though, if you're up for it."

Robin gave a small nod. "Walking doesn't bother me," she said, matching word to deed and setting off down the street. She walked fast, but the height difference between her and Wesley meant he didn't have any trouble keeping up. "Used to walk everyone back when -- back awhile ago. It's good exercise, anyway." Robin caught herself before she said too much. Wesley was dealing with her magic well, but she didn't want him thinking of her as being thousands of years old.

It was several minutes later when the boardwalk came into view, and Robin was chatting happily away. Color was back in her cheeks, and she seemed to have recovered fully from Wesley's ill-advised gift. "... And it's because of that horse that I spent a year in college!"

Robin was definitely interesting. She was hiding something in those stories. Though he didn't want to bring it up if she was. They were interesting nonetheless. Maybe he would ask her later. At least she was happy, and he was happy that she was happy. The boardwalk area in Riverside wasn't as big as the one in Southside, but it had it's perks. There was a small carnival and a few vendors A few of which Wesley knew opened early. Though it was weird. It looked like they all had opened early, even the carnival. Wesley was a bit confused, but he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. "Welcome to our little fun place," he smiled, "The vendors and carnival usually open in the morning, but I guess something is going on today."