Myrmidons Of Space (IC)

The world that lies beyond Earth's solar system is vast, unbelievably so that it's impossible to state how much is there without saying that it is infinite. Among these worlds lie planets both barren and enriched with people. Some have a vast history while others have nothing, or have been forgotten. When chance decides to give a planet history, why chance gives history without people's stir... One such is Gehlanna, a planet once rich and peaceful, now struggling to survive after it's calamity of the history it was given. And to that, chance gave it more, another document that shall be recorded, and soon forgotten.

Dark Star ripped open a hole, quickly moving through the wormhole to the other side. He knew he was too late but that didn't stop his hurried movements. He had heard too late to get here in time; unable to do more than check for survivors really. He'd have to chase down some of those ships and see if anyone could be saved. But for now, he had to check the planet first.

He moved towards the planet below, letting his senses extend. Given his abilities, it wouldn't take too long to search the decimated area.

The search did not take long as a signal soon turned up. Many of the Elderri we're found scattered around the planet, killed off in the assault that came and went. However, among a battlefield of downed or deceased Grue lay a living being, weak but improving over time.

Jyad'Arun awoke in great pain. He found himself lying in a barren and bloody field that was once his home planet rich with resources. He struggled trying to stand, noticing one of his arms was partially cut off and regenerating. He saw his body holding hundreds of cuts that we're healing, and he could not see any of the other members of his species in sight, only fallen Grue as far as he could see. Speachless, he had guessed the Grue came back, this time to destroy the planet.

The parasite in his body kept him alive after the massacre, but the planet took the fall due to his inability to protect it, which was the goal that the Arun's held. In dismay of his failure, he started wandering to see what else was there aside from his fallen adverseries, with a mentally broken heart and will inside him.

Dark Star would have wept had his form been able to. Still, he grieved at the destruction and loss of life that covered the little planet. The people here had not been nearly advanced enough to even have a chance. They would have been slaughtered either way but it was a pointless struggle.

He searched the world the major areas over as fast as he could, but there was little to go on. There could be some still in hiding out in isolated area, but it would take more time. He had been about to change course when he finally picked up on a form moving slowly. He changed his direction, zooming over to arrive in moments. He slowed to a stop over the long survivor, waving a hand to regenerate what wounds remained, before he even came to a stop.

To see the loss of your people was grieving. To see the loss of the people you promised to protect is even worse. Jyad had felt all lose of hope at the revelation of this. The only spot of hope came was a soothing wave that came from behind, one that suddenly healed the wounds and scars that was once on the superpowered Enderri.

Jyad turned to see a sudden figure zipping past him. He turned around again to see a figure standing before him, one black as night. A color that may seem appropriate for such a time like this, but for Jayd, it was a sign of relief that he thought was destroyed along with what was once the resources and people of the planet.

Slowly, Jayd spoke, "Dark...Star..." He was quiet in his words, in shock of this meeting. They had met before, a time before this awful event had occured. It was a time that Jyad had enjoyed, more so than ever. He had learned a little about Earth and the humans there, a place of wonder was that Jyad though of. He wished that Dark Star would come visit again, to tell more about Earth. And he did, but not in a state like this...

Dark Star nodded just a little. "I'm so sorry," he said softly. "I didn't hear they were coming until it had already happened." Yet another problem he could have averted, or at least helped avert, if he had been paying attention. He shook those thoughts from his head. It wasn't he who was truly hurting here anyway. He didn't ask what had happened. He knew well enough; he'd seen it before. Someday he was going to have to bring the fight to them; he tired of the senseless violence and death.

"Rest now. There may be others who have survived by being in the outskirts and simply missed in all of this. It will take me some time to search the entire planet though."

Jyad was very quiet as Dark Star spoke. When a chance offered, he tried speaking, "I... I..." He found it difficult to speak, for more than one reason. He thought to himself "What do I say to him?" Jyad was confused as whether Dark Star could have prevented this. If so, was he to blame? If not, could he have helped spare a couple Elderri lives? Or would he too, fall the the army of the Grue? Did the blame not fall on Dark Star, but rather Gehlanna's guardian, Jyad?

Jyad did not speak for a time, just nodded at Dark Star's suggestion as he sat down, trying to calm down, keeping hope that there was someone, anyone else alive on this planet. The parasite-wielding Elderri was confused, and angry. Angry at himself, the parasite, Dark Star, and the Grue, yet he did not have the will to take it out on anyone or anything. For now, he could only rely on the dark, cosmic being that he had met years before.

Dark Star nodded, given the poor man time. He moved around, retrieving some food and water to set near the grieving man. Cleaning up was as pointless as it was horrifying so he didn't. The invaders would almost certainly be back eventually to strip the planet bare and leave nothing behind when they had the time. He would have to search the planet thoroughly to make sure any survivors would safely relocated. But that was for later, now was for taking care of the poor fellow before him.

Dark Star was not good with words, never had been. He gave the man several long minutes before speaking up. "Come. We must leave this place. I will take you away from here and then return. But you cannot stay here."

The lone Elderri started to feel a little better as Dark Star gave him some food and water. "Thank. You." He spoke slowly, using the English language rather than the his own or the Grue, which he was much more familiar with. Having something to eat helped him out of the depression Jyad was currently in, and sprung hope that there was another survivor on the planet.

A quiet couple minutes passed as Jyad waited on as if Dark Star had some bad news. The part about Jyad leaving with the cosmic being had surprised the Elderri, with mixed feelings. Did he want to leave the planet, even though there may be nothing left? Should he stay in case of survivors? Where would Dark Star take him anyway? And then Jyad remembered about the planet Dark Star mentioned.

"Take me away? To... Earth?" while he felt more open to speak now, Jyad could tell his English needed work, it was understandable, but rather jaggering and almost robotic in speech. Still, if Dark Star would take the lone Elderri to Earth, Jyad would need all the practice he could get.

Dark Star nodded a little. "If you like. There are many places in the galaxy you could go. Earth is just one. You would be expected to live and behave as any other there, not that it would be a problem. But Earth is something of a Haven for displaced people," he said, thinking of some of the non-Terrans living there. "It isn't the most peaceful planet in the galaxy but it is a good place with good people."

Jyad was quiet in thought as Dark Star spoke. He had heard of much outlandish things about Earth, but it felt more as a positive thing. Seeing new sights, people and exploring was something Jyad had always wanted to do since his first meeting with Dark Star. He had the opertunnity to do it now, but he realized what he would be sacrificing to achieve it.

With a pause and a quiet sigh, Jyad responds, now speaking in Grue for familiarity."I would like to come to Earth. The things you have said have interested me. He paused to think a moment, then went back to English. "I wanted to explore the... universe, ever since you have told me about it. Jyad took a quick look around the wrecked area before continuing. "If this will be my only chance to do so..." his voice trembled in sadness, "Then I will take it. But... it will be hard... to leave everything behind."

Dark Star nodded in understanding. "Exploring the universe can be exhilarating. But obviously there is plenty of dangers out there." He shook his head and sighed before returning to the topic. "I wish I had more comforting words for you. But there just aren't any for your situation; none that I know of at least. Earth is a good place to rest, to heal, to find yourself."

Jyad's face of sadness stayed, but his voice started showing signs of recovery. "I do not have fear of danger, just fear of destruction." He took a final look around before stating, "I would like to be taken to Earth, away from this world..." Jyad looked up to Dark Star, almost with pleading eyes, "I have seen enough of this, please... Take me to Earth." He started to sound more desperate, even though his tone still sounds as emotionless as before.

He simply nodded as he gestured, forcing open a wormhole across the vast distances. On the other side, verdant pastures awaited them. He moved them both through, into small fields and light forests. "You will need to find employment, a place to live as well as learn the customs. I can help you for a little while or I can take you to an agency that can. As much as I'd like to, I'm not set up for this kind of thing really."

While Jyad was a little skeptical about entering a wormhole, but realized it was simple and easy, just walk through. On the other side, the field of flowers and trees came as a welcoming sight for the Elderri, especially after the previous area they had just left. The beautiful view almost made Dark Star's line fail to reach Jyad. "That would be great Dark Star." he answered, sounding better than he had all day. "I can do well at building and carrying. Would there be a job that does that?" He thought for a moment while looking at the scenery again before saying, "Is there a job that builds homes? I have experience with that." Jyad still had a rather emotionless voice, but it was getting better.

Jyad's eyes were absorbed in the scenery, but his ears were still open to listen. "Con..stution, At... luss?" Some of the names were difficult for him to speak. "I won't mind meeting him, if I knew where he is."

Jyad started walking off in a random direction, perhaps to find the construction site, or to have a change of scenery. "Which way do we head?" he asked Dark Star, finally turning around to the black cosmic being as he walked.

He nodded. "You'll get the hang of it. And I'm not entirely sure where he is. I'm not always on Earth and I loose track of where they might be. I'm certain if you ask around, you'll find him at some point. He's hard to miss after all," he says with a wry chuckle.

"First, we aren't walking anywhere. I can't stay long. But I figured I'd show you where Freedom Hall is. They are the premier heroes of the world and the ones best able to help you get situated in your new life here." He gently lifted the new immigrant and slowly flew them towards the city, taking his time instead of instantly arriving so Jyad could absorb what he was seeing.

Jyad, now starting to break a bit of a smile, said, "Okay, thank you Dark Star." He then found himself flying the skies of the new planet, checking out the new scenery and views. Some of which seemed alot like Gehlanna, others were completely alien to the Elderri. The most alien to Jyad however, was Freedom City, an incredibly high-tech place in a world that seemed to blend amazing technology with beautiful, lush areas devoid of machinery.

Seeing the city, Jyad asked Dark Star, "So this is Freedom City? I didn't really know what it would look like, but it seems really... grey? He wasn't sure of what words would be appropreate for this situation. "So," he said, trying to change the subject, "How many heroes does this city have?"

Dark Star pulled Jayd along as they slowly flew. "It is indeed. This world's base level of technology is somewhat farther along than what you're familiar with. It shouldn't take long to adapt I hope. As for the color? Honestly I'm not sure humanity ever really though about coloring some of these buildings. Some are quite beautiful and striking, but colorful buildings aren't common on this world." He shrugged his shoulders a little. "I have no idea really. Some come and go, some are more subtle than others. Quite a few I would think. I'm considered a hero of this city despite my spending over half my time elsewhere on this world or in the galaxy."

Tank was the buildings as they flew, slowly starting to lower as they began reaching their destination. Tank was the variety of buildings now, not just Grey. He could see trees, parks, construction fields, schools. It was all new to Tank, but he believed that Dark Star would be right that the Elderri would fit in well. Tank was rather quiet at the time, rather prefering to watch the city than ask more questions to Dark Star.

Dark Star brought them to a stop, landing out front of Freedom Hall. "This is it. They will help you get settled and set up. I wish you well Jayd. I'm certain I will see you around. But for now...welcome to your new world." With a final nod, he rocketed upwards, vanishing from sight in moments.

Covering his sadness with a smile, Jyad says "Thank you Dark Star. I don't know how to repay you." as Dark Star took his leave. Jyad looks at Freedom Hall, thinking, "This is my new life... my new world." It was sad for the alien to leave it all behind, but he knew that he had to make due with what he had. "Now," he thought, "Where do I get a job at building stuff?"