The Sounds of Science! [IC]

Archeville was holding his invention in one hand, covering one ear with his other, and had his head turned a bit so he could cover the other ear with his shoulder. "Ja, I haff got some great readings!"

Oh, what a racket!

Cease your complaining, you weakling! If it's too loud, you're too old!

The Doktor shook his head a bit to clear it, then approached Rift. "So, ah, vhich vould yo like to test next: your flight, or your force field?"

Force field! Force field!

So you can shoot him?

For Science!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmmm..." Rift thought about it for a moment, trying to work out which would be better. He could easily see what could go wrong with Force Field testing, but something was always going to go wrong with any one. In the end, the Teen shrugged. "We can probally do Force Field next. So long as I come out in once piece." He said with a smile as he switched his guitar off.

Blast him blast him blast him blast him blast him blast him blast him

Cut it out!

Cutting cutting cutting cutting cutting cutting cutting cutting cutting

Stop it!

"Very vell, den, ve shall test your force field..." Archeville began, though somewhat stifled, as if holding back laughter.

And then it burst out, a full head-tossing, torso-shaking Evil Laugh. "Mit lasers! Muah hah hah hah hah hah hah!!!"

Ohh, that felt good.

Yes, now, back in your cage...

What? NO-!

The Doktor cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head, then a huge grin spread across his face. "Ahem... ja, sorry, all part of de image. 'Mad Scientist' und all dat. So, if you vould just take a stand over dere, in de firing range, ve can get started..."

"Oh, can you tell me vhat sort of attacks your force field has protected you from before? Small arms fire, machine guns, blasts or strikes from known Metahumans und supervillains, dat sort of ding."

"Uh....Huh." was the only thing to come from rift after that hasty cover up. He was starting to get the feeling he might regret this part of the test. He hoped his sound barrier could hold up to what the doctor was going to throw at him. Slinging his guitar over his shoulder, he approached the spot Archevile indicated and without a though, the air started to distort around Rift into a sphere of sound.

"I actually don't know doc. I mostly hang back and take care of them from a distance. This is the first time I'm actually taking a hit of some sort for the first time." His voice sounded distorted, but not enough to imped his speech. "I think the fact I'm using a guitar is leading to criminals passing me off as a minor threat...Or something, I dunno."

After a few quick keystrokes on the console, an array of firearms popped up on the table before Archeville.

"Lasers vill come later; for now, basic firearms, de type you vould be most likely to encounter. First, a small 'pocket pistol'" the Doktor said as he aimed a small black pistol at Rift. Three shot rang out in quick succession; the second managed to make it through and grazed Rift's ear.

"Fascinating... according to de scanners, de second bullet made it through by following in de sonic vake of de first bullet. Okay, now, someding a bit larger." The Doktor aimed a slightly bigger gun at Rift, and fired three more shots. Again, one bullet made it through, nicking Rift's other ear.

Ha! Now ya match!

Do not gloat, this is for Science.

"Alright, something a bit larger now." The Doktor aimed an even larger handgun at Rift, and fired just once.

That one had considerably more force, and a considerably bigger sonic boom trailing with it, and slightly ahead of it. It slammed into Rift's shoulder, knocking him off-balance; his field fell.

"Oh! Are you alright, Herr Rift?"

The young hero indicated he was well enough, and wished to continue.

Now Rift knew better what to expect, and could better set his field to compensate for the sonic booms that canceled his field and allowed the potentially deadly bullets through. The second shot made it through, but most of its force was dispersed; the third shot was completely halted.

"Excellent, Herr Rift, excellent! You are really getting de hang of dis!" the Doktor cheered. "Ready for someding more?"

Rift indicated in the affirmative. The Doktor then pulled out a shotgun.

"Now let us see how you handle multiple projectiles."

Rift did not do nearly as well. The first shot was as bad as the first heavy pistol shot, multiple pellets getting through and knocking him off-balance. The Doktor waited for him to regather himself and re-erect his force field before firing again... and the second shot almost knocked Rift to the floor, and caused some very nasty torso wounds.

In a flash, Archeville was by his side, working to get the shot out.

Ha! That was fun!

Oh, shut up and help me get these out!

Aw, don't go too fast -- the boy'll want some scars! Chicks dig scars!

By this point, Rift was in agony. He clearly underestimated just how powerful (not to mention painful) the shots were going to be. The teen was mostly just spewing out a long list of profanities that were best left unmentioned. All the while he berated himself for the sheer idiocy of it all...And hoping his ears were still intact.

He made a note to never willingly allow a mad scientist shoot him again. It did tell him that he should improve his skills with erecting the barrier. Sonic distortions were going to be a problem in the future if he wasn't careful.

Archeville worked quickly on the wounds he'd inflicted, using his Electromagnetic Screwdriver to remove the numerous shotgun pellets with focused beams of magnetic energy, cauterize the wounds with a precision laser, and then a mix of infrared radiation and magnetic energy (and a few other rare EM wavelengths he'd noted Dark Star used when he did his healing thing) to promote healing.

Now, that is a far better use of Science!

So now I can shot him again, right?

No. No, you will not.

"An excellent performance, Herr Rift!" the Doktor exclaimed as he helped him up. He was grinning like a madman... and perhaps Rift was concerned about just how much of the "Mad Scientist Act" was really an act. "Even better dan I had anticipated! I vas sure de heavy pistol vould be de von to take you down, but no! You vere able to adapt to it! Und mit practice, I am confident you can deflect a wide shotgun-like blast just as easily!"

Rift grunted as he managed to get up. He didn't feel any burning lead in his body anymore, but he was still pretty sore from the assault. "Thanks Doc...Think I'll work on that as soon as possible" He said as he rubbed his ears. At least the cartilage was there. He did not want to explain why parts of his ears were missing to anyone. He was starting to wonder what would have happened if the doctor actually was evil. Though with a name like Archevile wasn't meaningful, he didn't know what was. "I take it the remaining tests don't involve a firing squad?"

God I hope not.

"No, no," Archeville assured as he waved the techno-wand over Rift's shoulder. The graze quickly healed. "de next vould involved a speedometer und altimeter."

And then I shoot him with the ArcheTech Anti-Aircraft Gun!

No! And ArcheTech does not even have an Anti-Aircraft Gun!

"But first, let me patch you up, please," the Doktor said, smiling. "Dere is no reason you should leave her mit such injuries... dough it is better to haff suffered dem in a controlled environment, razher dan on de streets, ja?!"

"Ja Doc." Rift replied, not realizing that for a split second he mimicked Archeville's voice. "You're gonna need plenty of space. I can get moving quite fast with this thing." He said pointing to his guitar. He did pause for a second as he examined the Doctors Screwdriver. He had heard of this particular device, though no one outside of Archetech knew how it works exactly. "Hmm...Electromagnetic waves, Heat amplification and some sort of radiation? What do you use to power that Screwdriver doc? Dakata Crystals or an alternate energy source?" From what could be seen, the Teen guitarist was quite interested in the operation and design of that particular device.

"Oh, do not vorry about space, ve vill-," Archeville began then paused suddenly. "Ah, I see vhat you mean about de voice mimicry. Very good."

I told you we couldn't use simple voice-print analyzers for the secure locks!

Okay, okay, we will make it voice print plus a specific code phrase. That way a would-be thief would need more than just our voice.

"As I vas saying, de flight test vill actually be done outside, so dere vill be plenty of room."

When Rift began asking about the Electromagnetic Screwdriver, the Doktor appeared quite surprised at the evidence of the teen's technical expertise. Pleasantly surprised, one might say. "Indeed!" He held the techno-wand up so Rift could get a better look, though was clearly not ready to simply hand it over. "Dis started as a simple electromagnetic blaster, but in time I refined it to harness de entire EM spectrum for a vide variety of uses. Daka crystals, ja, in de focusing chambers -- three of dem, in fact -- but dey merely serve as de main component in channeling und manipulating de energies. De source of de energies is-"

Silence, fool! We still know little of him, where he is from or who he associates with!

But he seems so nice! And he is clearly intelligent as well as curious, and such traits should be encouraged!

I'm sure Daedalus said the same about Solo Takashi!

... alright, alright, I will not reveal everything.

"... is not really important right now." He flashed a big grin, "dis is about you, und your abilities!"

"Could turn myself into a one man band if I get enough practice." Rift said with a shrug and a smile. It was an interesting idea after all.

Rift studied the screwdriver while it was still in plain view. He was aware that most scientist would kill just to get any info about the inner workings of it. At least now he got some addition info on it. While he was disappointed by the doctors reluctance to reveal the power source, he was at least glad his estimation were not completely off. Maybe another time. Not every scientist is willing to reveal every discovery they make. Still, a better portable power source would be better for the guitar. Several small rechargeable Ion batteries can only go so far.

"Well, we might as well get that part of the testing out of the way. Standard flight first then assisted?" The teen asked.

"Assisted?," Archeville asked as he led Rift out of the firing range, but the his light bulb went off as he voiced the question, "ah, your guitar aids your abilities. Ja, ja, some tests on your own inherent capabilities first, den of vhat you can do mit your instrument."

Is it really aiding him, or is it more of a psychological thing?

Give me five minutes with him and his instrument, I can find out!

... no.

Moments later, they were just outside the ArcheTech building.

"Alright, Herr Rift, let us start out slowly." He adjusted his techno-wand again, "a few laps around de building, at a casual pace to start."

Rift just shrugged. "Doesn't sound too hard Doc." He said as he drifted up from the ground. Archevile could faintly see the air around Rift vibrate as he levitated himself about halfway up the building and started to do a few laps around it.

Well, he certainly knows what he is talking about so far. He thought as he twisted in the air and watched the sky, taking his time as he thought through the test so far. Pulled the Mad Scientist card a few times...Then again, someone with the name Doktor Archeville is not gonna be the most stable person on the planet now that I think about it.

Rift's internal 'radar' pinged, alerting him of Archeville's take off. He hovered a good distance away, making sure not to get in the teen's way as he took readings with his techno-wand, but after a minute or so zipped in closer.

"Excellent control!," the Doktor shouted over the winds whipping past. "Now, care to show me how fast you can go? Unassisted first, of course!"

I wonder if he can exceed the sound barrier; most sonic manipulators cannot.

You wonder all you want, I'll actually make observations and do science!

The Doktor pointed east, towards the open water, where there would be little risk of collision or other damage.

"Will do Dok." Rift replied. Within moment, rift had stopped moving at cruse speed and flew forwards as fast as he could. The Doctor eventually caught him going at 500MPH just before he stopped, drifting slightly forward due to inertia. He turned around and waited for Archevile to appear.

He seems to use some sort of sound tech as well. Either that or they generate ultrasonic frequencies as a by product. I should make a mental note and look into that at some point. No, he probably wouldn't let me take a close look yet...Damn I am way to curious for my own good

Archeville had had no trouble in keeping up. When he saw Rift begin to slow, he arched up into a cloud bank, and planned to come down ahead of the teen.

"Not bad," Rift heard from behind him. Turning, he saw the Doktor, holding out his techno-wand. "A bit over 65% de speed of sound!"

Pft, slowpoke. He couldn't even hit Mach 1 on his own!

I am sure he is still growing into his powers. With more practice, more training, he could do great things!

Blah, blah, blah...

"Now," he nodded towards the guitar, "show me vhat you can really do, ja?"

"Thanks dok." Rift replied. He was glad his duster wasn't made of leather, or else it would be murder on the outfit. Wait, I'm Vain now? Costumes are doing weird things to me... He took a deep breath a swung his guitar from his back and flicked a switch on it. "Well, here we go." He said as he pulled out a guitar pick from inside his duster. In one fluid motion, he summoned up his sound shield and brought the pick to his guitar.

What happened next was what could be best described as a massive explosion of sonic forces and distorted power cords as the spot rift was occuping moments ago was left with nothing but ripples in the air and a very, very faint figure in the distance rapidly vanishing into the horizon at speeds of 1,000,000mph! Doktor Archeville's readings indicated that Rift was rapidly destroying and recreating the sound barrier around him and using his powers to focus to direct and enhancing the power of several sonic booms to propel himself forward at tremendous speeds well beyond those of a normal sonic controller.

A few seconds later, Rift came to a sudden halt in front of the good Doktor, a faint whine of song notes hung in the air before fading away. "And thats how fast I can go." He said as he put the now chipped guitar pick back inside his Duster.

Archeville tried keeping up with Rift, as he did before.

The teen proved too fast.

What are you doing? Catch him!

He... he is going too fast! This... this is amazing! Think of the breakthroughs in acoustics I can make by studying-

Studying what? He's too far away!

Well... even using the Screwdriver to amp up the flight function of the Belt... he would still be going twice as fast as we could go.

Is that all? Bah! I can bypass the safety protocols, and exceed that!

But this is not a race! It is a test, of his abilities! Besides, would you not rather simply hover here, and wait for him to come to you?

When Rift returned to their starting point, Dok was quickly returning to it. And... laughing? "Incredible, Herr Rift, simply incredible! I haff never seen a phonokinetic fly dat fast!

"You can be surprised what Speed Metal can do Dok." Rift said witha grin a he switched off his guitar and slung in over his shoulder. "But yeah, I'm surprised others never did go that fast...Well, the G-Forces can be a pain without the shield." As that comment was spoken, Rifts Force field flickered and just vanished out of existence.

"So then, whats next?"

"'Speed Metal,' eh?," Archeville asked, tapping his chin in thought. "Is dat de only kind of music you use? Haff you experimented mit ozhers?"

Strike him down! We can harvest his brain and study all those wonderful little mutations in there!

No! No organ harvesting, no vivisection!

What abou-

NO!

But just a littl-

NO!

"Vhat next? Vell, vhat vould you like to do next? Dis is about testing you -- vhat do you vish to know about yourself?"

"Speed, gothic, industrial, Heavy metal, Alternative Metal, Thrash, Grind, Death, Black, Hard Rock. That sort of thing." Rift said as he rattled off Genres he knew and could play. He crossed his arms and though about what to do next. "Well, to tell the truth, I'm not sure. There is still plenty I don't know about what I can and cannot do, but That might be something I could find out over time. Besides, I still need to go and figure out a few things I'm working on. Still need to find some parts for a device I'm working on the make stronger metals and plastics." He pointed to his guitar a shrugged. "This does stop working if the strings or neck break after all."

"Oh? Vhat vere you dinking of?" Archeville was smiling again, clearly interested in the workings of the teen's mind. "I am sure ArcheTech vould haff de components you vould need, or can get dem if ve do not haff dem in-house."

No! My stuff!

And if he is willing to pay for components?

Pft, as if he could afford it. He's probably used to working with stuff from a Radio Shack dumpster.

Now I am sure that is not the case. He may not be wealthy, but that does not mean he must resort to scrounging for his equipment. Many components can be purchased fairly cheaply, and-

Bah!

The Doktor began flying back towards Freedom. "Is dat de only instrument you play?"

"Thinking of some enhancements made to the general integrity of matter for lighter and stronger wood, metal and plastic on a sub-atomic level. I have a few components at home, I just lack a catalyst to allow changes to occur. If it works as I have written down, might lead to things such as electronics that won't burn out from high electrical discharges from lightning storms and of course a guitar that won't be rendered useless by the villain of the week." Rift explained as he flew next to the doctor.

"I know a bit about Bass, but I'm mostly a Guitarist. You play anything?"

"Vhat sort of process are you vorking on? Und vhat is eluding you?" Archeville chuckled, "depending on how good your ideas vork, I may offer you a job!"

And then I patent his process and get all the credit for it! Muah hah hah hah hah!

No! That is exactly contrary to one of ArcheTech's core principles -- to give proper recognition to geniuses so they don't turn to crime!

"I do not play anyding routinely, but I am passingly familiar mit most instruments."