Opposites Attract [IC]

Mona whistled at the breadth of Dr. Schwarzschild's interests. "That's quite a set of credentials there. Those Germans and their science, always discovering something," she teased, "What did he discover in General Relativity? Keep in mind that high school physics and A Brief History of Time are the limits of my knowledge."

She watched Viktor power up the pad and silently wondered why super-tech usually required so many controls. The thing didn't look that complicated, but then again maybe he had to run diagnostics, manually adjust settings and assign destinations. For all she knew the thing would put you on the moon if you didn't play nice with it. Just for the record she tried to memorize the sequence and decipher the controls. Just in case. One didn't deal with super-tech without a few safety precautions.

"Of course," she replied with a smile, breaking out of her revelry. Hand-in-hand onto the pad she stepped. "I think SWAP is a great name, and yes, it is an accurate name too, from a certain perspective." Taking a deep breath for calm, she glanced sidelong at him, "You're getting more and more playful. This next stop must be good."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He calculated some exact solution vhere Einstein himself had only produced approximate solutions," he said as Fulcrum began to feel a tingling sensation, "in regards to certain gravitational fields, such as de point at vhich a spherical object becomes so dense it becomes a singularity, a black hole."

Let me take over, soon enough I'll be measuring the radius of her-

Shut it!

The tingling sensation rapidly intensified, and Fulcrum's vision blurred. There was a sudden sensation of rapid movement, as if she had been flung across the room like a rag doll; flashes of light streaked by her, like what was shown on that Candian sci-fi program when they moved from world to world. Wait, was Archeville taking her to another planet?!

Just as quickly as the sensations hit her, it was over, and her vision returned. She was outside, on a large and well-lit helipad, which was attached to... a castle! Looked to be off the 3rd floor of the castle, though there were more levels above, including a massive tower in the center! The skies were dark -- no sun, and considerably more cloud than what they'd had in Freedom. Colder, too -- it had to be below freezing out here! There was even patches of snow here and there!

Ah, good to be home.

Oh, I hope everything is ready!

It had better be!

Fulcrum felt her hand begin squeezed, and realized Archeville was still holding it. He was looking at her and grinning. "Steady on your feet, ja?"

Date: January 16th, 2010 (Saturday)

Time: Around 7:00pm (local); sunset at 4:02pm. 26oF, S wind 10 mph, overcast skies.

The sensation was...different. Somehow it didn't feel completely alien, as if she had experienced something akin to it. Since nothing came quickly, she filed that tidbit away as well and glanced around the area. She froze, although not literally. Her mouth dropped open in awe. She wasn't the fairy tale type, but this place certainly did look like a fairy tale castle! Even had the high tower!

The man really does have his own castle. Holy ****.

The hand squeeze brought her out of the shock. She smiled to Viktor, one of those happy, wondrous smiles, "Yes, thank you. It's just...this place...is amazing. Your ancestors actually lived here? It's beautiful!" Realizing a ramble coming on, she stopped mid-stream and chuckled.

"Your attempts at impressing me are working swimmingly," she added momentarily, "Give a lady the special tour please?"

As is often the case, a display of overwhelming force is the way to victory!

This is not a display of force! This castle is as much a university and hospital as it is a private residence!

"Vell...." he began coyly as he lead her inside through the massive double doors, "sort of. It vas originally a minor keep, merely a five-story tower, avarded to von of mein ancestors -- Virgil Hartwig Archeville -- who had served in many battles during de eighteenth century. It remained in de family for three generations, but vas lost vhen his grandson, Varian Hoffman Archeville, vas caugt trying to play Austria und Prussia against de ozher for his own benefit."

The first thing to catch Mona's eye was he massive medical center to her right, behind large glass walls. Through it she saw a few doctors and researches working, some of whom looked up and either waved or quickly ducked back down into their work; Archeville smiled and waved at them all. To the left was a Quarantine Center (also glass-walled, and, mercifully, empty), and up ahead, where the hall met at a t-intersection, were living quarters. Her host pointed to the right, but headed left.

"Down dat vay, past de staff qvarters, are de main life science research und development laboratories, as vell as de main surveillance center for internal affairs. Dis vay, dough, is de elevator, vhich will take us down to de second floor. Dat is vhere de banquet hall is; I hope you are ready for a meal fit for... vell..." He chuckled, "not a king, but somevon doing vell enough."

All shall call me Meister in due time.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

"Anyvay," he continued as they approached a large elevator at the end of the hall, "Varian lost it, und his son -- Victor, mit a c, a glass-blower und silversmith by trade -- never could gather de money or clout to reclaim it. His son, Verrill, mein grandfazher, vas..."

Images of newsreels covering the atrocities his grandfather committed during World War II filled his mind for a moment. Which, for his super-fast mind, was far, far too long.

"... preoccupied mit ozher tasks to pursue reclaiming it." The elevator slid open noiselessly, revealing a plush interior with more classical music piping through. "Varian lost it, und his son -- Victor, mit a c, a glass-blower und silversmith by trade -- never could gather de money or clout to reclaim it. His son, Verrill -- mein fazher -- never tried to reclaim it. After I turned sixteen, und mein intellect vas clearly evident to de state organization vhich had raised me, I vas offered de chance to reclaim it, provided I vorked on certain projekts for dem."

Fools, thinking they could buy my genius with such sentimental gift.

We did take the offer.

Well, I didn't say it was a bad move. Quite clever, actually, almost worthy of me.

Once they entered, Archeville pushed a shiny brass-rimmed button, and the elevator gracefully moved down.

"I accepted, of course, und mitin a year had most of de new superstructure in place. De main tower you saw is actually built directly atop und around de original tower."

When the elevator opened, Fulcrum was greeted by a vast empty hall. Ahead of her were open double doors through which she could see a hallway and another equally large hall. Along the top of the hall they were in now -- which she could easily see being used as a throne room, and the hall beyond as a grand ballroom -- was a balcony. She noted that along the top of the walls, under the balconies, were numerous hooks and fasteners, which could be used to hold a variety of items, like paintings or tapestries, though at the moment the walls were bare. The hall they were in was empty, but Mona thought she saw some movement in the hall beyond.

Mona appeared pleased at the sight of the biomedical research facilities. True, she didn't know much about the specifics, but the use of the castle grounds for such noble endeavors was quite refreshing. She waved at the few researchers that fully noticed the giant in their midst.

From their previous conversations, Mona knew well enough why Viktor hesitated at the mention of his grandfather. She reached over and patted his hand in her own. On the topic of his childhood, in fact the first solid reference thereof, she hesitated and continued listening to Viktor's exposition on the history of his home/laboratory.

Once they stepped out of the (quite comfy) elevator, she hovered about the great hall and toward the other rooms. "So if Verrill was your grandfather, did you know your father? Seems odd, even tragic, to be detached from your history," she asked. Glancing back to him, she added, "If you don't mind me asking of course."

Mona, having noticed the movement further afield, waited for Viktor and hovered alongside him as they entered what she suspected was the banquet hall. Not that she really ever became hungry, but she swore she felt a little rumble at the thought of a likely lavish and exotic meal.

"Ah, not dat vay, liebchen," Archeville called as Fulcrum began hovering into the great hall beyond. "Our destination is actually down de hallvay, to de right."

The hallway between the two great halls lead off in opposite directions, and the direction he indicated took a sharp turn around the hall Mona had begun to enter. As she followed her host's directions to yet a third great hall, she saw what was clearly a great banquet hall, with a grand fireplace on one side (with roaring fire), and a long table filled with an assortment of delectable foods, including an entire roast pig! A handful of staff, all apparently human (or else exceedingly lifelike androids) hastened to put the finishing touches on the setting, lighting candles, doing a quick final count on the silverware, and arranging the dishes in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Lazy slugs! This should all have been ready by now!

They are fine, it is fine... in fact, this is actually better, as it shows a bit of imperfection, of vulnerability.

Bah!

Archeville said something in German -- praise, judging by his tone and the pat on the back he gave one of the servants -- and they all exchanged a few brief words. They finished the tasks they were working on, then left out the double doors at the far end of the hall. Mona could swear she'd seen a few of them passing knowing glances and winks amongst each other.

"I told dem I dought sey had done a fine job," he said as he pulled out a char for his guest, "und reqvested a bit of privacy for de evening. Now, as to your qvestion: I did know mein fazher, Varick Heinrich Archeville."

I wish I were detached from that man -- he was the one weak link!

Our father was not weak!

"Mein mother, Cynthia, died due to complications during childbirth," he continued, somberness creeping into his voice,"leaving him to raise me by himself. He... fell seriously ill vhen I vas thirteen, und vas unabe to care for himself, or for me. I had no ozher family, und adoptions are tricky at best, so I vas -- to use de American term -- a vard of de state for several years."

"Thank you," Mona replied as she sat. Listening to his obvious sadness at the subject, she regretted even bringing it up, again, and frowned, squeezing his arm gently, "I apologize for even bringing the subject up. Your family is your own business. Still, that's a shame to hear. Must have been very hard on you." Left unsaid was the admission that she would dearly like to meet the people that produced Viktor. Very interesting folks she guessed.

She glanced toward the servant's door, almost again her better judgment, and turned back to the table. For the moment, the large feast laid out before them was the center of attention. The look on her face said everything. She didn't know what to make of the spread, or the fact that the centerpiece went whole hog, literally. Pleasantly surprised perhaps expressed the emotional mix well. In any event, this particular preparation of the (once forbidden) flesh of the swine look tantalizing.

Once Viktor was seated, Mona smiled, "I see you decided on a light lunch, or dinner, if we are where I think we are." Leaning towards a particularly foreign-looking dish, she continued, "Now I've studied German cuisine a bit, but a few of these are still unidentifiable. Lots of pork obviously."

• 2 weeks later...

Food time is now!

Hold on, hold on! Need to find out what she would like first!

Archeville grinned and began pointing out dishes, always happy to share knowledge of... well, anything, but especially of the bounty of his homeland. "Pork is de most common, as de Spanferkel -- de suckling pig -- well shows, but ve enjoy all manner of meats. Beef, chicken, duck, goose.. game meats, such as boar und venison. In fact, dere should be... ah, ja, dere it is," he pointed to one small stew pot, "Hasenpfeffer, or rabbit stew. Und, of course, sausages -- Frankfurters, Bratwürste, Rindswürste, Knackwürste, Bockwürste, und others."

Sooo hungry...

Patience, patience...

"A vide selection of fish, too," he continued, indicating another section of the table. "Trout, pike, carp, herring, perch, und salmon. Und a number of potato dishes -- boiled, fried, as salad. Ve tend not to be big on ozher vegetables by demselves, instead incorporating dem into stews und vhatnot. Und an assortment of cheeses und breads, all made locally. Vell, semi-locally; dere are sixteen states in de country, each mit much to contribute. For example, dose cheeses dere," he indicated a plte with slices of yellow, reddish-brown, and black cheese, "Milbenkäse, is produced only in Würchwitz, a small village in de state of Saxony-Anhalt. Dat is in de north-eastern part of de country; ve are in Baden-Württemberg, in de south-vest."

Enough of geography! Let's eat!

But I have not gotten to the beverages yet.

Mmmm... beer...

"Und to drink, a vide assortment of beers, vines, udn ozher spirits, und some coffee."

The Doktor turned back to Mona and smiled broadly, "so... see anyding dat has your mouth vatering?"

Wait, I thought you were focused on the food?!

Food, innuendo, I can do both at once.

Whether she caught the innuendo or not, she certainly didn't react to it. In fact her attention looked completely focused on the bounty. Choosing a starting course looked to be difficult. The bit about vegetables caught her off guard initially, but the recovery was shift. Her expression said volumes. To her a meal without a variety of delicious and/or colorful vegetables as a mainstay was basically a meal not worth eating. Still from the lip smacking, this fare had the look of good, old-fashioned comfort food, and she was going to enjoy it.

Finally she smiled and pointed at the stew, "The hasenpfeffer sounds wonderful. I have a taste for rabbit. The milbenkäse sounds too interesting to pass up, and as for refreshment, how about beer. What's your favorite?" Amazingly or amusingly, the German forms were pronounced correctly, if not in the standard tone.

Glancing back at the pig, she quipped, "I better leave the spanferkel out when I tell my mother about this meal. Not that it's any big secret, given my tastes for alcohol, but she'd probably have a coronary at the thought of such a thing!"

"Dat can be our little secret, den," he replied, winking, as he served up a bowl of the hasenpfeffer. Mona did make out some vegetables in the dish, onions and potatoes and carrots; though the smell was quite different, someone going solely by appearance could mistake it for a basic pot roast.

It smells... acceptable.

Oh, this is an outstanding feast, and you know it!

"De Milbenkäse may not be to your liking -- even de younger, lighter vons," he said as he fixed her a small plate with the three different colors of cheese, "haff a strong flavor, mit bitter notes but a zesty aftertaste; de darker und older samples even moreso. Den dere is de unique process it undergoes vhen being made, vhich... actually makes it fall into a legal gray area. See, most cheese are made mit de aid of bacteria, or mold, but dis cheese is made mit de aid of Tyroglyphus casei, a type of mite; their digestive juices ferment de milk, und some of dem cling to de rind even vhen served. European Community regulations allow for de sale of foodstuffs containing living animals, if dey are 'prepared for placing on the market for human consumption,' but, cheese mites or their digestive juices are not explicitly permitted as additives for cheese under de German Zusatzstoff-Zulassungsverordnung -- de 'Additive Approval Regulations' -- und de Käseverordnung -- de 'Cheese Regulations'."

"Dere is only von ozher cheese in de vorld made mit mites, und dat is Mimolette, a French cheese."

Mite-eating surrender-monkeys!

Quiet, you.

Less talking, more drinking!

"Ah, de beers!" He dashed over to another part of the table, and in a flash brought back two dark bottles and two steins. "I prefer de darker lagers, like Bocks -- more food energy und nutrients. Many monasteries in Europe brewed deir own beers to consume during fasts, since dey vere sufficient to sustain them through deir daily routines even vhen fasting. A bit too heavy to serve mit a meal, dough, especially von as full as dis, sooo...." Another flash of movement, and he was back with two glasses and three bottles. "As I promised earlier, ve haff here Apfelkorn, Bärenfang, und Ratzeputz. Oh, und...." another flash, and he was back with a darker bottle, "Schwarzbier, someding of a 'national beer of Germany,' und vhich I can mit authority say goes exquisitely vell mit Hasenpfeffer."

Beer me!

Only because it will get you to be quiet... but we are not getting so much you slip out more than I permit.

"So... you say your mother vould disapprove of dis feast," he said in a warmer, more conversational tone as he poured them both a Schwarzbier. "Vhat of your fazher? Brothers or sisters?"

Something about Viktor's enthusiasm for teaching made her smile. It was the sort of smile that just crept up the face, Cheshire Cat-like. She listened thoughtfully, nodding and processing the information as a good guest did. Of course the mite cheese gave her pause. A lot of odd foods had popped up over the years, even extra-terrestrial ones, but this cheese was something new. Which of course made her determined to at least it.

Once the beer was served, she replied, "Thank you, Viktor. You're a most knowledgeable host." A healthy drink followed, and she sat there, making contemplative faces, critiquing the beer. The beer apparently past muster, and she nodded her approval. "While it lacks the quirkiness of local micro-brews, the woody richness of the malt, robust head and perfect accompaniment of hops gives this recipe a distinctly refined palate. I daresay this one is definitely standardized, yes, but certainly with the methodical care typical of well-regarded German beers."

Then the conversation turned to her family. She hesitated, even after changing the subject briefly. Given that she already brought them up, she elucidated further, "I never knew my biological father. We lost him in the Iranian Revolution. My mother, Afareen, was able to escape, but he stayed behind to help some colleagues." Judging from tense look about her, she didn't want to elaborate. "Thankfully, I have a wonderful stepfather by the name of Mahmoud Zandipour. You may recognize him actually. He was on the design team that rebuilt downtown alongside Daedalus and Dr. Metropolis. I have a sister too, Fatima. She's a real handful. We're about 12 years apart, but I feel like I've known her all my life. She'd really love this place."

Instead of continuing, she clarified, "My mother wouldn't disapprove of the feast, per say. Just the pork and alcohol. She's still a practicing Muslim. Really she'd probably be asking you every question under the sun about the recipes. She loves cooking."

Archeville seemed truly impressed at Mona's critique of the brew. "I see I am not de only knowledgeable von!," he said, beaming, and clinked his glass to hers.

Wow... she really is something altogether different!

Hey, watch it, you're spilling my beer!

"Und as for your mother," he said between a swallow of beer, "I shall be sure she gets copies of de recipes. Vell... some of de recipes," he added with a wink.

German recipes with a mid-East twist? Ooh, that would be something!

Something terrible, I'm sure!

"Ah, mein condolences on de loss of your fazher... but, ja, I do recognize Zandipour's name!" he said, slapping the table. "Helped design the new cultural center near de spot vhere Centurion d... rove back Omega, ja?"

Heh, smooth recovery there.

Hush up, I am nervous enough without you heckling.

"Your sister... vould be entering college in de fall, ja?" he asked as he portioned out a helping of hasenpfeffer for himself, as well as a few choice slices of the Spanferkel. "Is she strong in de sciences?"

"Thank you, Viktor, on all accounts," she replied after another post-clink quaff. "Ah, nothing like a good beer with dinner."

A closer examination of the cheese plate followed. The idea of mite cheese still sounded a bit off, but again she was determined to see it through to the bitter end. Taking up a nibble of the lighter colored variety, she taste tested the selection and nodded to Viktor, "Yes, that cultural center is his pride and joy. Not every day an architect gets a blank check to build virtually anything he wants." If the slip about Centurion bothered her, no reaction was forthcoming, although she didn't really look at him or say much at the time. "If you haven't had a chance to visit it, the center is completely worth your time. Beautiful architecture and a message of diversity you rarely see in this world."

Another bite of cheese in hand, she commented, "This cheese is really good. You're right though, it is very strong. Has quite a bite to it, even past the unusual preparation. I wonder how the inventors ever came up with such an idea." A statement, not a question, for Viktor, probably to help make him more comfortable. After all he seemed most relaxed when expounding on some topic.

"No, she isn't in college yet, but at the rate she's going, she'll be there a year early," she began, before stopping and looking off into the distance a moment, "She definitely has her father's brains. Err...yes, to answer your question, she is strong in the sciences. I've heard talk of a chemistry major and maybe medical school." She feel silent then, quietly nibbling more of the cheese before tasting her stew.

"I haff not seen as much of de city as I vould like," Archeville confessed between small bites of the Spanferkel,

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

Well, at least I will not have to hear any cutting remarks from you, for a few minutes at least.

MOAR!

Whoa, small bites! Small bites!

"but it is someding I keep meaning to do. I try not to confine meinself solely to de laboratories und universities, I know dere are many vays I can help improve conditions for all. It is vhy I funnel a considerable portion of ArcheTech's resources into programs for social reform, as vells as scholarships und grants so dose less vell-off can afford to further deir education."

Though he displayed fine manner while dining, Mona could see a hunger in his eyes, and sense that a part of him wanted to just tear into the feast before him, like a football fan at a Sunday buffet. Or... was it something else he wanted to tear into?

"It is also vhy I built dis place," he continued, making a grand sweeping motion his arms. "You see, Schloss Wissenschaft is not just a branch of ArcheTech, designed for display as vell as research und development. Nor is it a 'home avay from home' for me, dough dat is vhat de top half of de massive central tower is. It is also a school, mit facilities to accommodate hundreds of students! Of course, ve haff to keep de classrooms und de research laboratories vell separated from von anozher, und de students who come here tend to be de curious sort vho delights in roaming de corridors after curfew und poking deir noses in places dey ought not... but dat is vhat de state-of-de-art infirmary is for," he chuckled.

"No robot gorillas I hope," she chuckled between bites. Her manners were likewise polite, although they lacked the voracious undertones. To that she said nothing and enjoyed her dinner. "Dedicating so much of your fortune to science and progressive social programs is wonderful, Viktor. Amazing too. I honestly imagined this place as just that, your home away from home. Where do you go to relax and get away from it all? Do you have a place in Freedom City?"

Once the cheese was gone, the stew followed suit. The contented look on her face said volumes, "I must make this recipe sometime. This is definitely what I'd call comfort food. Tastes like the rabbit was marinated, but I can't place in what."

"Fatima would love this place," she noted offhandedly, looking around the grand dining hall.

"No, de robot gorilla is in mein house in Hanover," Archeville replied nonchalantly. "Betveen dere, here, und de ArcheTech facilities across de globe, und assorted ozher duties, I haff little time to meinself. But vhat time I do get, I prefer to spend on ArcheStern or Fjölnirskraft -- I find de cool metal corridors und de hum of mein machinery... soothing."

Don't you dare tell her about-

I know, I know. Just... just eat your meal.

"Dough I try not to let such remote places affect mein vision. Now, as for dis place," he continued between small bites, "Schloss Wissenschaft -- 'Science Castle' -- is highly automated, mit a permanent staff of only 50 people, und approximately 300 robots. I could streamline operations more -- less humans und less robots, via more automation -- but I chose not to, because people coming here expect to see robots, und appreciate seeing ozher people. Und in case you are vondering," he added, grinning, "de people you saw earlier, setting de table, vere all real people, not androids."

Les talking, more eating! More drinking!

Slow down, if you choke me you choke yourself!

"I am glad you haff taken to de hasenpfeffer," he said, smiling warmly. "It is von of mein favorite dishes, dough von I do not haff often. De secret to making a good batch is twofold: cooking low und slow, und de marinade -- de right vine und spices, as vell as a bit of de hare's own blood."

The Doktor's eyes went wide for half a moment, then bit his lip, then settle back into a relaxed smirk. "Alcohol, pork, und blood -- three strikes against halal laws. Ja, I am going to be really popular mit your mozher...."

"'Castle Science'? That is what Schloss Wissenschaft means?" she quipped, after of course nearly spit taking her dinner and wiping her face, "Excuse me. I'm sorry. You caught me off guard there. Castle Science sounds like a theme-park attraction, but Schloss Wissenschaft sounds like the set for a Frankenstein movie. All spooky and serious and very East European."

Mona snickered, "I suspected they were real people, or at the very least, some of the most life-like androids I've ever seen. I think they were gossiping about us earlier. Don't hold that against them though." Between snippets of conversation, the contents of the bowl steadily drained. Once she had regained a little composure first.

As for the comment about her mother, Mona simply waved the comment aside with a smile, "I see you smiling there, but really, don't worry about it. Mom accepts that I'm not a believer anymore. When you meet her, she'll be more interested in asking semi-inappropriate personal questions. I really just brought her up to break the ice. Besides I have a feeling she'd like you. I know Dad and Fatima will too."

"What type of wine do you use?"

Archeville was chuckling, "ja, most people find dat dings in mein native tongue sound much more intimidating dan dey really are. Dose two vars may haff had someding to do mit it. But," he continued, without missing a beat, "I like to dink dat, given all de musicians und philosophers und scientists dat mein homeland has produced, it also sounds rich und historical und hearkens back to a... a more enlightened time."

and powerfully authoritative!

I thought you were focusing on the beer?

"Plus, mit de, as you said, 'theme-park' name, it puts de locals in a more receptive mood. Vhen I first started remodeling de place, I had initially intended for it to be a home for meinself, nutzing more. But mein family has... a reputation in dese parts, so I hit upon de idea of opening it to de public, und helping to educate dose who came here. Having if also act as a branch of ArcheTech vas also a natural progression."

An odd mix of emotions raced across Archeville's face when Mona mentioned meeting her mother. Too fast for most to see, but Mona was not like most.

Oh! She said 'when' I meet her mother! 'When', not' if'! She must think this is going well!

Or she's telling you what you'd want to hear.

She would not do that, and you know it!

... yeah, you're probably right. Which makes it all the more sad she won't get to meet our mother... or dear old dad.

... shoot! But... well... no, she... she would understand. It is not our fault he is the way he is.

Or that he tried to kill you.

Tried to kill you!

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Of course, the hospital may not let her in to see him anyway...

Excuses, excuses! You wanted this relationship, and you knew that'd require opening up and sharing things. Things like him, and me!

I know that! But... well... there is no need to rush into that all now, on our first date.

I suppose some warming-up is prudent... make sure this farce has a chance of actually working out or not.

Oh, fine advice coming from the one whose idea of commitment is a full weekend with one girl!

I've never been with just one girl for an entire weekend; it was always at least two.

"I... am not sure vhich vine de chefs used, but I can check. A local vintage, I am sure." He turned slightly and made a sweeping gesture towards the table, "care for seconds? Dere is plenty left, dough be sure to save room for dessert!"

Mona did indeed hesitant mid-sentence but only for a moment. The first thought was that he was uncomfortable, perhaps, with the notion of her mother asking probing questions. Another perhaps considered the religion issue, and yet another focused on his general hesitation at meeting her family. Considering the confessed speed of his thought processes, she estimated that probably all of those topics and more past through his head in that mix of emotions.

Hoping to defuse the situation, she pushed her empty bowl to the side and tapped her fingers, "Oh, no need for inconvenience. I probably couldn't obtain a bottle in Freedom City anyway. Now, as for seconds," she began slowly, inspecting the other dishes, "that Spanferkel is calling my name. If I may..."

Standing, she pulled up the carving utensils and went to town on the succulent meat. Her technique couldn't be called masterful, but she did manage to get at the good bits. Turkey carving looked like the basis of her experience. Still she managed, and held up a steaming slice, "For you?"

"Well, when I think of Germany, I think of industry, science and music first. Especially considering that what is roughly modern Germany didn't unify until just a few generations ago. So many 'German' geniuses had more varied backgrounds than modern boundaries suggest. If anything up to the last couple of hundred years it was France that periodically went crazy and started a war." She chuckled.

"Danke," he said as he took the offered roast beast, "oh, do be sure to get some of de cheek -- dat is de most succulent part! As for finding de vines used, vell, I do keep a very vell-stocked vine und beer cellar in mein home at Hanover. Helps to make de place feel more like home. It also makes me qvite popular at de local block parties!"

And given the sorts of experiments you do, we need all the good will we can get.

If you're referring to that incident with the giant cockroach-

Among others!

It only attacked because they were trying to reason with it....

That... that does not make any sense!

Doesn't it, though? Doesn't it?

... no!

As Mona went on about her thoughts on Germany, Archeville's grin spread, and his eyes got that twinkle again. When she ended with her observation on France, though, he actually let out a knee-slapping laugh, nearly choking in doing so! "Too right!," he howled before taking a few gulps of beer. "Dis may sound odd coming from a German, but I haff never understood de bizarre reputation of de French 'surrendering mitout putting up a fight'. De French Resistance alone, not to mention Layfayette, de Gaulle, Leclerc..."

von Richtofen... Göring... Rommel... Kaltenbrunner...

We are not going there.

Fine, let's talk more about the French. Like how they made they most delightful little sounds when grandpa experim-

Hush up.

"In fact, de Norman-Saxon conflicts can be seen even on de dinner table! Look... ahh... ah, here!" He looked around the table for a moment, and brought over a bowl of chicken and dumplings. "Now, see how de dumplings here are small, flat, und slightly chewy? Dat is common in mein homeland, as vell as southern England -- both settled by de Saxons -- und vhich carried over to de South of de United States. Compare dem to de dumplings you vould find in Northern cities und states -- such as Freedom City -- und you vould find dem to be big und fluffy und light, like de vons from de northern parts of England, und northern France... vhich de Normans conquered."

With their plates full, cheek meat and all, Mona smiled and beheld the spectacle of Dr. Viktor Archeville perhaps relaxing a bit. The process was enlightening to say the least. He seemed so much happier, strangely, when not talking about his business or research. The oddity of that realization did not escape her. In any event she had done her homework and thankfully had brought up the right topic. Which meant that instead of continuing her exposition, she settled back into her second course and enjoyed his culinary history.

That too was a learning experience, and between bites she sized up the dumplings, "Honestly, I had no idea! Dumplings were dumplings, and these particular ones look very good," as she offered up a serving, "Speaking there of, would you like some?"

The dumplings added a little color to her own plate. "Really, Viktor, if not for manners, I could finish off everything in this room and still go out for coffee." Arching an eyebrow in thought, she smirked, "What is the history of coffee then? Specifically its development upon arriving in Germany?"

Archeville nodded at the offer of dumplings, taking a break from pontificating to savor some more beer. "Coffe, eh? Vell, for dat, I believe ve haff your own family's religion to dank for de vide spread of it. I believe it vas first used in Ethiopia, around de 15th century; writings attributing its discovery to a 9th-century goatherd are largely believed to be apocryphal. From Ethiopia, it vas introduced into de Arab vorld through Egypt und Yemen; by de 16th century, it had reached de rest of de Middle East, Persia, Turkey, und northern Africa. It den spread to-"

An intense flash of light outside the window, accompanied by a thunderous BOOM, interrupted the Doktor. Lightning and thunder? The skies, while cloudy, were not the sort to carry rain, and lightning was rarely a sickly green color.

Who DARES?!

It is always something...

Mona was just getting into her dumplings when the fixtures rattled. As the green light registered, only one conclusion came to mind. It was the worst conclusion she could imagine at the moment. The date was going so well! What sort of disaster could have followed them to Germany of all places!? Pushing away thoughts of putting the party crasher in orbit, she zipped over to the window in a split second and scanned over the area.

Grumbling, her form blurred momentarily, and she appeared in costume, "Looks like you have some uninvited guests. You tipped the caterers, didn't you?" she teased, although her face looked more stern.

Where exactly did she keep that costume? Some questions you never ask a lady. Especially one that just had her dinner interrupted by, of all things, villains. Should be a law against that!

Mona's super-fast scan revealed many things. First off, none of these guy were known to her -- if they had followed them from Freedom City, they must be very, very new. Second, she realized the 'window' she was looking out of had two images, one superimposed on the other. This was no mere window, it was also a viewscreen, tied to cameras all over the castle! The window looked out on the rear of the castle, while the video feed showed the main gate at the front!

At the main gate was a quartet of men, all in colorful costumes. In the back was a man in battlearmor, gold with green trim, with a golden gun. The gun was no a standard firearm, but was some manner of glue-gun, as the numerous gummed-up and bound guards had learned firsthand. His helmet's faceplate is divided in two vertically, giving it a vaguely insectile appearance. Next to him was a powerfully built man with slate-gray skin in a dark gray costume, with a black star on the chest and a matching star on his belt buckle. His gloves, boots, and belt are gold, but his mask matched the rest of his costume. He also wore a high-collared golden cape.

Before them, their hands still sizzling with energy form the blasts they'd unleashed on the main door, were two others. One was in a featureless, skintight, red containment suit; sections of the gauntlets were open, allowing sickly green energy to escape. The other wore a charcoal-black bodysuit with red boots, belt, gloves, and a red M on his chest; lightning crackled at his hands and in his eyes.

The armored one was clearly giving orders to the others, though the video feed did not come with matching audio, so she did not know what they were saying. Their intent was clear, though: breaking and entering, and they'd already got half of that done.

A purple-blue streak raced by along the ground around the Castle, which stopped beneath Fulcrum's window just long enough for her to make out the silver swirl design on his chest... and a rather handsome Portuguese face, looking up at her, and winking! In a flash he was gone, and Fulcrum knew that only her own super-speed allowed her to see him in the first place.

"Mein Gott," Archeville exclaimed as he joined Fulcrum at the window/viewer. "It is dem... de Finsteres Wissenschafts-Geschwader -- de Sinister Science Squad!"

Dammit, I was going to score tonight!

No, you were not.

"Dey are a team of misanthropic geniuses," he explained as he began making adjustments to his Electromagnetic Screwdriver, "all from Central or Vestern Europe. All picked on, snubbed, ignored, or scorned, seeking to strike back at de society vhich 'rejected' dem. Dey haff tried to recruit me more dan vonce..."

"De von in de armor, dere, in de back, is Binder, deir leader. Gifted German chemist, genius mit adhesives. Next to him is Schwarzstern, Blackstar, a Swiss physicist who can alter his density, und takes perverse joy in bullying ozhers after having been bullied for much of his life. Before dem are Munja, Thunderbolt, a brash Serbian who not only generates und controls electricity, his body is electricity, und Radium, a Frenchman whose containment suit holds back lethal radiation. Now, dere should be von ozher..."

A silver blur zoomed past at supersonic speeds. Thanks to the observer's superhumanly fast minds, though, they could make out the source, a man in a very aerodynamic suit of armor, with airfoil "wings" on the back and streamlined weapon barrels along the arms.

"Ah, Cyclone, de French jet engineer. De showoff!" he yelled out the window.

"Since it it highly unlikely any of dem knew ve vould be here tonight, dey are likely here to steal research und components from de laboratories. Or, vorse, take hostages!"