Revelations: Meeting the Parents

Cyroa

Stesha looked slightly pained. "That was a little different, Mom," she pointed out. "I don't want to keep secrets from you and Dad, but I need a secret identity if I want to have a normal life. Plus, it keeps all of you safer as well. I try to stay out of trouble, but there are some really bad people out there. Maybe we could tell the adults, quietly, but not the kids. And not Chloe, not yet." Chloe was technically an adult, as of last year, but she was still the baby of the family and often acted the part. "But the more people who know, the less secret it is."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We'll talk about that tomorrow," Paul suggested, with a significant glance at his wife. "What's important is that you both know that we support the decisions you've made, and we're very happy for you. Our family embraces all lifestyles." He smiled, clapping his hand on Derrick's shoulder. "Welcome to the family, I suppose."

Derrick missed the look and just assumed they agreed to Stesha's words. They were perfectly reasonable ones after all. He nodded with a smile. "Well, it is Stesha's lifestyle really. I've pretty much adapted to hers," he said honestly. That was a lot easier to say than to mention he spent very little time as solid being if it wasn't with her. He nodded at her father with small small. "Thank you sir." Which was hopefully a good sign as far as Derrick was concerned. It would make the private conversation he needed to have with the man much easier. He hoped.

Very relieved, Stesha gave both her parents a hug. "Tomorrow sounds good," she told them. "I know everybody's wiped out from the party today anyway. Besides," she added with a grin, "if I stick around here, I'll just be down and in the refrigerator for leftovers at 3am, and I'd probably bump into Dad." All three of them laughed at the truth in that statement. "We'll be back at breakfast time, and you and Derrick can get better acquainted too. I've been waiting for this for a long time."

On that happy note, everyone made their plans to depart. Paul insisted on getting out a meter to measure Stesha's departure, promising not to publish anything without using her name. "Not without telling you first, anyway," he added, a little absent-mindedly. "Just think of what we could do with a plant transportation network..."

It was wonderful to return to their quiet and nearly empty place. They were nice people and a lovely family but for someone like Derrick who had none, it was a whirlwind of chaos. The quiet tranquility of just the two of them was a wonderful way to close the evening. The fact that her parents took it all rather well only helped to relieve the tension and stress that had been plaguing them (well, Stesha anyway).

The next day, they popped back to Chicago none the wiser for another crazy event; breakfast. The house became far less hectic as the hordes dispersed for various points and activities afterwords however. Stesha and her mother were off gardening while others went shopping. Her father, not quite as hands-on, was in the kitchen when Derrick walked up to him.

"How are you and Mrs. Madison handling the news?" True, it hadn't quite been a full day since they had learned, but Derrick wasn't exactly good at this sort of thing anyway and he needed somewhere to start now that they were alone.

"About you and Stesha? It's quite a leap," Paul admitted. "But it's good to know our little girl is doing something good with her life. And to know that she's doing it alone. Her mother and I would be very worried about her if we thought she didn't have a support system." Sizing Derrick up for a moment, Paul added, "You know, Derrick, that wasn't the news we were expecting to hear."

Derrick nodded. "She's amazing. Far better and more valued than she thinks sometimes. And she does have quite a few people there to assist in all manner of things."

Despite the fact that Derrick was probably a little older than Stesha's father, give or take a few years, he sighed and shifted a little, slightly nervous and unsettled. Why he wasn't exactly certain. He'd faced down alien armadas, demonic invasions, all manner of threats with a steadfast bearing. Yet talking to Stesha's father at the moment was a little unsettling for some reason. It kind of made his response come out a bit hasty and rushed.

"Yes sir, I'm aware of that. I'm sure you were expecting a proposal announcement. And we've talked about marriage and the repercussions and everything that goes with it given our respective professions, powers and whatnot. But I haven't asked her. It's not that I don't love her," he said hurriedly. "I do. More than just about anything really." He swallowed and gamely continued on. "But I'm, uh...a little old fashioned I guess you could say." Some people probably had other words to describe his personality and sense of honor and integrity of course. "Before I ask Stesha to marry me, I wanted your permission to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage. And I couldn't very well do that until after we'd been introduced. I've wanted to ask her for a couple months now, easy. But we haven't been able to come up here what with one problem or another. And asking your before I was introduced would be extremely forward and rude. I probably should have waited a few more weeks before even asking as I think about it. That just seemed too long to wait despite the patience I've developed over the long years," he ended his blurting reply with a shrug.

Paul gave Derrick a level look. It wasn't an unfriendly one, necessarily, but it was certainly a sharp one. It was the sort of look, Derrick remembered from his college years, that you got from particularly inquisitive professors. "Derrick, my daughter is an adult and she knows her own mind. If she wants you to marry her, I'm sure she'll say yes when you ask. In fact, I'm fairly certain she will. But that's her business, not mine. You don't need my permission, just my support: and that I'm happy to give you. I've only seen you with her for a few hours, but all her letters home tell me what a good man you are. I'd be very happy if she allowed you into our family."

Derrick nodded emphatically. "Yes sir. I understand that. And I don't doubt she will either. But I'm doing my best to be traditional which is why I wanted to talk to you first. Until recently I'd never even thought about this sort of thing. Now I just want to try to do it right. And I do thank you, very much, for your blessing. It does mean a lot. Not enough to stop me from marrying her if you said no, but I'm still very glad you're happy with this," he blathered, despite the fact that Paul had already said 'yes'. He sighed. "I'm really bad at this," he muttered half to himself.

"You don't have to be good with me," said Paul, patting him paternally on the arm. "You just have to be good with my daughter. I'm sure you'll come up with just the right words for her when the time comes," he added with a wink. "In the meantime, why don't you start making preparations? Do you have a ring? If so, you should probably propose while you're here. It would make Stesha's mother very happy."

Derrick nodded, doing his best. He blinked at the man's request though for a long moment. Propose here? It honestly hadn't occurred to him. He had been thinking something for just the two of them, something private. Derrick thought of the dozens of hours he'd invested in setting up it up. Moving asteroid and adjusting orbits, planning for that perfect event, to make it unique and just for her. All wasted. He gave a little sigh as he readjusted. He couldn't very well refuse the man.

"Um, yes, I do. Not on me though. Well, I can get it in a minute. I hadn't actually planned on proposing in front of people, even her family. Not sure I'd know what or when to do it. I don't want to choke up or stumble over this. I'm not to good with this social conversation bit obviously. But, I suppose it would make her happy to have her family here," he said with resignation. Now he just needed to figure out how...and when...and how...

"Do what you think is best," said Paul reassuringly. "You two are the ones getting married, not her mother and I." He laughed, looking a little amused at his prospective son-in-law's embarrassment. "It'll be all right, Derrick. Just do what you think will make my daughter happy. I proposed to her mother in her home village in Russia when I joined her family there for an extended visit; that was quite a treat. But I'm sure you don't need to go that far, even if you do have superpowers."

Derrick nodded, his mind already trying to come up with plan B. Or was it C? Or maybe something considerably farther down? Didn't matter, he had some adjusting to do. He'd think of something special to do and still do his best to make Stesha's parents feel included and happy. "Thank you sir. I'm certain it'll work out for the best," he said with honest belief. "I don't think we'll be going to Russia though," he said with a chuckle. "I bet your wife's family were quite pleased by that though. Being included I mean," he said.

Paul reminisced about good memories with Derrick, telling him about a small Siberian village and a long journey by train with a carefully smugged diamond ring in his pocket. When all was said and done, he wished Dark Star good luck again, adding, "Just remember, make sure we get to hear what happens! Something like this should be a memory that lasts through both lifetimes. Make sure you do it right."

Stesha and her mom were still working in the garden by the time Derrick emerged from the man-to-man chat, and indeed she had hardly seemed to notice he was gone. She got that way sometimes when she was really concentrating on gardening. Since a shopping trip had taken most of the family out to Woodfield, she was showing off her powers a little, growing up some of the plants her Annie had been having trouble with, and weeding with the snap of a finger. Derrick played pack mule till dinnertime, helping move buckets of dirt and ornamental rocks for a new flower bed and earning some points with Stesha's mom.

Dinner was another noisy affair, with the rest of Stesha's siblings returned for Round Two of Memorial Day weekend. This time the meal was indoors, with all the adults crammed cheek-by-jowl at one very long table while the kids had a smaller table in the kitchen. It was crowded, noisy and carefree, and the food was excellent. Even though Stesha and her siblings squabbled like birds on a roost sometimes, it was obvious that the whole family was very close.

After the chaotic dinner and family events, and the only slightly less chaotic after-dinner part, the family dispersed and/or began to settle down. It was as crazy as some of the major battles he had been in. Only less violence and more food. But it certainly seemed quite crazy and hectic and loud at the time. Finally, by the time it was over, the silence was almost deafening. He needed to switch to Dark Star just to unwind. He couldn't imagine growing up with all that. How would he have ever gotten his studying done? "I love you and your family...but wow," he said with a smile. "Need to get a breath of fresh air and some quiet time."

But once everyone had left or gone to bed, he transformed. He stretched his metaphoric muscles a moment in relief before opening a wormhole. Of course this wormhole opened up to a nice secluded beach somewhere. But he did say he wanted a some fresh air. He stepped through right after her and resumed his human form with a sigh.

Stesha looked around, wondering if this was the beach they'd vacationed on before, but there was no way to tell in the dark. She didn't see any of those furballs, anyway. The memory of that made her smile as she kicked off her sandals to dig her toes in the sand. "Decided we needed a break?" she asked Derrick teasingly. "I know my family can be a little much. But they really like you."

He chuckled as he sat down on the sand. "My family dinners were small and quiet. No major gatherings. Serene comes to mind when I compare them to yours. They are a great family but wow...like barely organized chaos in there. A little break seemed like a great idea," he said. He checked his watch before tossing his coat down. He laid back upon it, looking up at the stars. He shifted, letting her lay down next to him/rest on his arm. It was a good night; calm, peaceful and quiet.

As they lay there, Stesha noticed something was wrong with the stars. Not the stars but a trail of them...comets or maybe the rings of the gas giant they orbited were wrong. It took a moment of watching as thing slowly slid in their orbits. What was an odd and irregular jumble of shining lights in the sky slowly resolved into words. 'Stesha, will you marry me?' was written quite clearly across the stars themselves. With the right equipment (and time for the light to travel that far), it would be visible many lightyears away. It had taken him months of planning and effort to get everything to align correctly, but it was worth it.

When she looked over at him, she could see a little jewelry box sitting open on his chest. The ring glittered as it sat nestled in the box under the moonlight.

Stesha stared at the sky, rubbed her eyes, then stared again. "Oh my god... is that real?" That question was subsumed as she looked over at Derrick and saw the ring box and him looking at her. "Oh my god," she said again, half a laugh in her voice as she sat up and looked down at him. "You must be crazy... but I love that about you." Taking the ring box off his chest with one hand, she leaned down and kissed him thoroughly. It wasn't a yes or no answer, but it conveyed her feelings pretty clearly.

Some time later, when they broke for air...

Derrick smiled happily at her, and not just because of the kissing and...stuff though that was always really nice too. He still tended to stumble when it came to the talking bit of course (possibly a minor reason for the grand layout). "Of course it's real. It's for you. It took a little planning and effort sure but you're worth it and so much more besides. I've had it all ready for weeks honestly. Actually I wanted to ask your for months now but I wanted this to be special." He continued on, babbling. "And I had to talk with your dad first too. But he and your mom really wanted me to propose in front of the whole family I think. And I don't want to disrespect them at all, I don't. I just wanted this to be special between you and me. I had this whole romantic weekend thing planned out. There was even a comet pass I needed to adjust to time it all just right. But I talked to your dad today and I didn't want to disappoint him or your family, I know they mean that much to you. So I kind of went with an abbreviated version. I hope you're not too disappointed," he said looking a little sheepish. He really did just want her to be happy and wanted this to be a special event for her. And her to marry him obviously!

Stesha chortled. "You rearranged the sky for me and ask if I'm disappointed that you didn't get elaborate enough? I think we need to work on your sense of proportion, sweetheart. And thank god you didn't ask in front of my family. Neither of us would've been able to hear anything. And I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable doing this..." Wrapping her arms around him, ring box still in one hand, she kissed him again, taking her time about it. "This is the best day of my life." Pulling back for a moment, she opened the box to actually get a look at the ring in the bright moonlight.

He gave a little apologetic smile...after the kissing. "It seemed like the right thing to do; or it didn't seem like too much to do for you. Just wanted something unique that no one else had done to show you that I loved you." He gave a little chuckle. "I'll concede they do seem a bit on the loud and boisterous side." He nodded emphatically. "Pretty much every day since I met you has qualified as the best day." There were a few notable exceptions of course, her dying being right up there, but others it was honest truth as always.

The ring was a lustrous gold band and setting. There was a single, and quite sizable, flawless diamond prominently shown atop of a unusual cut. The really unusual part was that in the center of that diamond, somehow inside it, looked to be a small emerald which was a deep and healthy green. It almost had a faint glow to it as it sat suspended inside the larger stone. To her plant attuned senses, she could feel that the emerald was actually some kind of healthy seed of an unknown plant.

"Oh Derrick, it's beautiful..." Stesha lost no time in putting the ring on, mesmerized by the sparkle and glow. "I've never seen anything even a little bit like it." She cuddled in next to him, holding up her hand and turning it this way and that to examine it from all angles. "Where did you find it? And what's the seed inside of it?"

He smiled, glad she found it pleasing. "The stone I found on a planet towards the far rim-ward side of the galaxy. It's a mostly normal diamond though its properties are a little different. It's effectively one large molecule that needed to be shaped by some fellows I met. Kind of xenophobic but excellent craftsman. The whole thing is pretty much unbreakable. The seed I bargained for and had to insert myself with a little," he waved one hand vaguely, "cheating with my powers. Couldn't figure any other way to get it in there and in stasis basically. It's from this tree the local species called their 'Life Tree'. It kind of mirrors and reflects the quality of life and happiness around them. Kind of like a psionic reflector I guess. The happier and healthier the people are, the healthier the tree becomes and even emits a faint glow."