Simulating Poverty

Heritage

Hi, brand spankin' new to these fine forums, and I come with character concept in tow! My PL6 heroine is something of a street rat who uses her powers to protect the 'honest lowlifes' of the city; she lives on the street or in squats (she's Immune to cold) and owns few if any possessions. Is there a way to simulate this sort of thing in the rules, or should I just roleplay it? Mind you, she's also a former shoplifter, and may not have fully abandoned her ways... :?

Hi, brand spankin' new to these fine forums, and I come with character concept in tow! My PL6 heroine is something of a street rat who uses her powers to protect the 'honest lowlifes' of the city; she lives on the street or in squats (she's Immune to cold) and owns few if any possessions. Is there a way to simulate this sort of thing in the rules, or should I just roleplay it? Mind you, she's also a former shoplifter, and may not have fully abandoned her ways... :?

I'd personally go with either a complication or a 1 point draw back. It doesn't seem too intense, and she can conceivable get out of poverty. But it is a Role Play situation, so I lean more toward complication. Earn those hero points.

Yeah, complication sounds about right, since as you say it won't always be a problem for her, and it's sort of a personal choice - thanks!

I'd personally go with either a complication or a 1 point draw back. It doesn't seem too intense, and she can conceivable get out of poverty. But it is a Role Play situation, so I lean more toward complication. Earn those hero points.

Yeah, complication sounds about right, since as you say it won't always be a problem for her, and it's sort of a personal choice - thanks!

Welcome!

I'd like to hear from some other Refs before we make this "law," but I like the idea of going with what the Core book suggests:

-To reduce your wealth bonus to +4 ("struggling" - probably no car, live in low-income housing, etc.) is a 1 PP drawback.

-To reduce your wealth bonus to +0 ("impoverished" - living on the street, in a homeless shelter, etc.) is a 2 PP drawback.

Wealth is not a big deal around here, but since some players are spending as many a 6 PPs to be rich, I think it stands to reason that there should be some PP drawback for being poorer than middle class.

Welcome!

I'd like to hear from some other Refs before we make this "law," but I like the idea of going with what the Core book suggests:

-To reduce your wealth bonus to +4 ("struggling" - probably no car, live in low-income housing, etc.) is a 1 PP drawback.

-To reduce your wealth bonus to +0 ("impoverished" - living on the street, in a homeless shelter, etc.) is a 2 PP drawback.

Wealth is not a big deal around here, but since some players are spending as many a 6 PPs to be rich, I think it stands to reason that there should be some PP drawback for being poorer than middle class.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Thank you, kind sir or madam! Discovered this site last night from the link on RPoL - looks very cool!

Hmm, okay. Free power points? Twist my arm! ;)

This is for my character Grimalkin (see her write-up in the Character Bank), who I see as being Impoverished, largely by choice as she wants to stay connected to those she protects. I honestly don't know what I'd spend the 2 pp on, possibly Smell/Tracking to make her more of an urban hunter, or get some of her combat abilities up a bit higher. Hurmm...

Welcome!

Thank you, kind sir or madam! Discovered this site last night from the link on RPoL - looks very cool!

This is for my character Grimalkin (see her write-up in the Character Bank), who I see as being Impoverished, largely by choice as she wants to stay connected to those she protects. I honestly don't know what I'd spend the 2 pp on, possibly Smell/Tracking to make her more of an urban hunter, or get some of her combat abilities up a bit higher. Hurmm...

Welcome!