Sage

• 2 weeks later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

A mute, teenage, psychic bloodhound from an exceptionally wealthy but completely altruistic family whose psychic members have been fighting the good fight for hundreds of years.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Sage

What is your full birth name?

Eve Alexis Martel

Where do you live?

I live on campus at Claremont Academy though on the weekends I sometimes return to my brother's home (and my legal residence) in North Bay.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I was born 11 April 1994, and I am sixteen.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female

How would you describe your heritage?

French

How tall are you?

5'0"

What is your body type?

Athletic. Compact and powerful

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I am mute.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I am, or was, a professional gymnast. I am quite graceful and can be quite stealthy.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I have fair skin, green eyes and white hair.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

It is worn loose, but normally kept at chin-length. And no, no facial hair (gross!)

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

It isn't something I have really thought about and what others think is hardly relevant.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I have my ears pierced, of course.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

No, not really. Myself, maybe? I was well known in my age bracket but I am not certain I could be considered famous.

Do you have a dominant hand?

No, I am ambidextrous.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

My preference tends to vary with my mood and the social setting.

Do you wear makeup?

Sometimes, but it is usually rather understated. It is far too easy to have makeup look overpowering with my complexion.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I had a soft and lyrical soprano. Now I have nothing.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

No, I do not.

History

Where do you come from?

From a large, wealthy and influential family.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Yes, I recently moved from France.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Not especially. I am French and proud of this, but I am also a citizen of the EU and the world in general. I have not really thought much about the government of my country. I suppose I should but I have more important things to worry about at the moment.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I love it, mostly in part because my family is there. But also because the history and the location and it's just wonderful.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Orléans, France. And it is beautiful (and not that far from Paris.)

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

They were either family or fellow countrymen, I would say that their influence was a positive one.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I have always been athletic. Since a very young age I trained in gymnastics and competed at a national and international level. I once aspired to the Olympics.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not in my early years, no. But recently (as of two years ago) the manifestation of my psychic ability has left its scars.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

The 2000 Olympics. It was then, at the age of six that I knew I wanted to be a gymnast. It took me a little while to convince my mother and father that this was what I wanted to do, but by the age of nine they knew I was seriously focused on this and allowed me to withdraw from school to practice full time.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Nothing that I can really think of off hand. Though it could be said that it was foolish to "put all of my eggs in one basket" as the saying goes. Now that I am banned from competition (at least competition that mattered to me) I am feel as though I wasted half of my life.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I was tutored at home. I enjoyed it, but I generally considered it as a break between visits to the gym.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Various medals and trophies that I won. I'm not sure why I keep them, the memories associated with them are now bittersweet.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

About four, maybe five months after my fourteenth birthday. Which is four to five months after my abilities manifested. My family is very supportive, those of us without psionic ability (as I thought I was at the time) do their utmost to make those with abilities comfortable. But we Martel's as a whole devote ourselves to the quiet protection of this world.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I don't give people my reason for becoming a hero, I am not that good of a liar. As for why I don't mention it, it is to protect the family.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

I should be fine so long as nobody figures out that Sage is Eve Martel. I would hate for my family to have that sort of exposure.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

No.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

We Martels already have an issue with the Psions. It would be terrible if the rest of the family drew the attention of some other less than kind organization or individual. Especially for the family members who aren't powered.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Leon and Josephine Martel

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They are well regarded in the community. My father is a geneticist and CEO of Martel Enterprises and my mother is a neurosurgeon.

Where are your parents now?

France.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We generally stay in one place. But that one place is spread across many parts of the world. We are a rather large and tightly knit family.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I got along great with my parents and still do.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I hope they would be proud of me.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

I have an older brother and sister. Nicholas Marius Martel and Isabel Jade Martel. I didn't grow up around Nicholas so our relationship isn't as close as it could be. But Issi and I are nearly inseparable when in each others company. She has the most beautiful voice.

What was your birth order in the family?

Nicholas, then Isabel and then me.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Nicholas is in Freedom City and last I knew Isabel was in Japan. Both are involved with the family business.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Well I am currently staying at Nicholas' place in North Bay. I usually use email to keep in touch with Isabel but she has her methods of contacting me.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I adore Isabel, but generally I love all of my family equally.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Isabel got me through the most difficult times after my powers manifested.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

No.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Not an easy question to answer. Do I mention just Charlemagne, his grandfather Charles Martel or the entire Carolingian Dynasty? It has had a profound affect on me and my family. We still have Paladins...

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

I have no partner and no children (I'm far too young for that)

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I haven't really considered it. I suppose it's possible but that's so far off into the future to answer definitively. Having children is unlikely (a male is required) but I suppose I could always adopt.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I really don't know.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Not really. It's hard to get close to people.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

See the previous question. It's hard to get close to people, especially talking people.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My brother and sister, my cousin Faith. Pretty much my entire family. Maybe my schoolmates.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Sorry, nope!

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

No, no enemies. I haven't been doing this long enough to have them.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Not sure. I can usually sense people coming, so maybe find some way to nullify my powers?

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Ban me from gymnastics. My physical abilities are my own, they weren't enhanced when my powers manifested. That still hurts.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

To home (wherever that is at the time), my family, my friends, myself and then the world. Time, space and the fabric of reality comes far behind.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My family members. We're all in this together.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I don't really despise anyone or anything. All that negative emotion isn't healthy.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Confidence in themselves. I used to have it in spades, but it's something that took a hit recently. I'm rebuilding but it's agonizingly slow.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Not so much hate but I don't care for selfish people. And I suppose I do, as I would do nearly anything to speak again.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

You mean aside from being Sage or Eve Martel? No, no secrets like that.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Being on a team is wonderful. Granted you all have to pull your weight. I can lead or follow as the case may be. It all depends on an individuals strengths and how they apply to the situation.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No, I'm not on a super team.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

No, I'm avoiding that sort of thing for now.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Too numerous to count, but the people who risk their lives each day to make this world a better place. Especially the ones that do it through sheer willpower and ability. I feel those of us with powers kind of cheat.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

It's fun. Besides, there is so much stuff you get to see that you don't get to as a civilian.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

No, not at all.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Refine my control. I leak emotion like a sieve and I haven't figured out how to control that yet.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

That's too far ahead to think about.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Losing my powers. GAINING them cost me a career and my voice. Losing them would be devastating.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

If a bunch of people would be harmed if I did not.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

The family has more money than God, but we spend a lot of it on charity work. Improving hospitals, providing schools and medicines. Food, clean water. The Martels are committed to building a better world and a brighter future.

How do you generally treat others?

As I would myself.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

This question is, honestly, a little silly. I'm a telepath, and I can read minds. If someone is lying to me I could tell (usually). So I guess yeah, I am a trusting person. If I can't tell they're lying then I'd trust them.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Somewhat introverted now but I'm getting better. It's just that seeing and hearing someone speak makes me a bit sad.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Distant I suppose. I don't think they would be interested in a person with a disability.

What are your most annoying habits?

I generally read about half a dozen or more books at a time and they tend to start crowding and cluttering up various surfaces. Bugged the heck out of my sister.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Human supremacists. I wish they would give us metahumans a break.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Crepes. Breakfast is just fun.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Tea, in general.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Ice cream! I loooove ice cream.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not too fond of yams.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I'm partial to vibrant jewel towns. Pastels just strike me as half-hearted and.. just ugh.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I like all sorts and don't particularly hate anything.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I love the smell of jasmine.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Nope.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

My passport. Each stamp is a memory, and they are usually good memories. Also I couldn't leave the country without it.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

It's not for me.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Only if the job was completely pointless. Like move a pile of rocks from one spot to another. Wasted time and effort is just irritating.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Not really.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Nope. Just sort of happened that way.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I don't belong to an organization.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I haven't, and I hope I never have to make that decision. I don't know if I could.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

Life is precious. We're supposed to be preserving it, right?

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

It all comes down to the needs of the many.. but the situation had better be dire.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

The reaction would be the same. Unless it was, beyond a doubt, the only possible action that could result in the most good I'd find it abhorrent.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I'd find it and take it back, and probably punch the person that stole from me. Maybe.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I'd be devastated. You probably wouldn't see me for another two years.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I.. don't know. I never had this happen to me and contemplating it right now is just something I don't want to do.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Murder. Robbing someone of their life is just... it's the worst thing possible.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Say goodbye to my family. Finish up any schoolwork I had remaining. Pack up all of my belongings so it won't be difficult to move (and other people wouldn't have to do it so it'd be easier on them emotionally. Pick a fight with some criminal element and try to take them down in a blaze of glory. And have a nice, quiet meal with someone close to me.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Some. I had some of the other empowered Martels teach me how to get a handle on my powers.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Too many people to list, most of them family. So I'd say the relationship is pretty good.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I can find anyone on the planet, no matter where they are hidden. It's just one of the many things I picked up from learning to tune my mind to the thoughts of others. Each persons thought waves are like a fingerprint, completely unique. I can hone in on this.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I WAS a gymnast and a student. Now I'm just a student. I'm thinking maybe genetics work like my father but it's still too early to decide what I want to do. Maybe lawyer like my brother?

What is your preferred combat style?

Stealthy and acrobatic. Fluid movement, feinting to confuse the enemy and just staying on the move. Movement is safety.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Several. I was a very, very good gymnast.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I will still hone my acrobatic skill, in the hopes that one day I can compete again.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Try to learn! Someone will always be better than you, so you should use that as a motivator to get better.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I'm a student. So a typical day is attending class and then hitting the gym to work out. Some nights I go on patrol but I usually tag along with someone else for that. I don't know my way around the city much. Interruptions to routines happen, that's life. That's why I don't really want to predict twenty years into the future. I'd feel mighty silly if I was way off course with my predictions.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Painting. A picture is worth a thousand words and I currently have none. I always liked to draw when I was younger and while I don't do much painting I always found it to be relaxing. I also play the piano and the violin. Those are just hobbies to me though and my parents were always supporting of whatever caught my eye.

What do you do for fun?

Read, swim, work out at the gym. Pull pranks on classmates. Life itself is fun.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Yes I do. It's primarily black and sleeveless. A broad stripe of blue runs down both sides of the costume and it cinched with a yellow belt. I have a pair of fingerless gloves that I wear with the costume. The costume runs up my neck and encloses me face in a somewhat open "mask."

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Depends on the occasion. It's usually casual though.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Umm.. I'd rather not say.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No, I do not.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I have a safety deposit box at the bank.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Depends on the distance. The train is nice but the rail system here in America leaves much to be desired. Car is nice for local travel

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, I'm still a minor. That's up to my parents.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

DNA?

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

For those that I helped, I'd like to be remembered for helping them. For the world.. I don't really do this for any sort of glory.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Yes. When my powers manifested I hurt a lot of people.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My mind, hah!

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I'm a beacon of psionic energy. I practically radiate power and emotion and I fear someone will be able to exploit that one day.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Sage, don't let what happened in the past cloud your future. You're a bright kid, with a big heart and you can let people people get closer.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

://[bg=black]PENUMBRA/PROJECT MIMIR/MIDNIGHT INVECTIVE[/bg]

://[bg=black]ORCON, HUMINT, PSIINT[/bg]

[floatr][/floatr]

Sage, [bg=black]Eve Martel[/bg], herein referred to as Subject was observed to possess superior telepathic and telekinetic abilities. Subject first detected by multiple Eye-in-SHADOW mutates located in Europe 14 April 2008.

Initially thought to be rebirth of The Scarab search for Subject was reduced in priority when The Scarab surfaced in Freedom City, United States. A decision easily facilitated by the difficulty in narrowing down Subject location.

Early 2010 saw Subject psychic signature vanish from Europe and reappear in North America, around time of Grue invasion. Visual confirmation of Subject and matching of civilian identity was made shortly after.

Subject emotional state is visibly indicated when manifesting telekinetic abilities, with color shifting and fluctuation indicating little if any conscious control. Consult chart for color/emotion mapping.

• 2 months later...

Eve Martel

Gather Information

DC 10
Eve Alexis Martel, born 11 April 1994. Eve was a Junior (International) Elite Gymnast and was considered an eventual Olympic contender. She suffered an injury in 2008 after an apparent loss of concentration during a competition and hasn't competed since.

DC 20
Eve Martel is a known psychic metahuman, and this is the reason why she has not competed since. She is effectively banned from gymnastics due to her telepathic and telekinetic ability.

The Martel Family

Gather Information

DC 5
The Martels privately control one of the largest, if not the largest, biotechnology corporation.

DC 15
The Martel family is extensive. Though the majority of the family is in Europe (France, mainly) a significant minority is located in the United States, split (almost) equally between the Atlantic and Pacific coast.

DC 40
A significant number of Martel family members are psychically gifted.

Knowledge (History)

DC 30
The Martels can trace their lineage through the Carolingian Dynasty to Charles Martel, the grandfather of Charlemagne.