Insomniac Activity [IC]

Nyrath

Ashley hears the resolve and determination from her roommate. Aiko seemed ready to move on, to not linger and suffer with the past she had. Ashley was jealous of this, she couldn't stop herself from thinking back, angsting on the inside about what had happened to her, and letting others feel her suffering that she had put on herself. It was almost ironic how she uses her father's uplifting speeches yet refuses to follow them herself. But hearing such words from Aiko, who had suffered worse in one year than Ashley had in her entire life reminded her that she could get over it, that she could press onward to the sky, using the wind as her guide. She just needed to work for it.

Showing a surge of motivation, Ashley calmly said, "Aiko... if the time ever comes, may I be your aid when you face Doctor Otaku? I just want you to know that I can and will support you, no matter what happens between us." "Geez, this is sounding really corny, coming from me of all people..." She thought.

For once a genuine calm smile dawns upon Aiko's face. Corny line or not, she seems relieved that Ashley would be willing to help her that far. "Thank you Ashley-san, your words are much appreciated. And if you should require help yourself, you need but ask. Now then, let us see if we can't repair my optic sensors." Picking up the video camera Karakuri points it at herself, and turns it on. "Kami-sama, well it is not as bad as I feared but worse than I hoped. And at least the link works." Handing the now active camera towards Culdis she asks "Could you hold this? I need both hands from here on out."

Relieved that the past conversation was over, Ashley grabbed the camera and carefully held on, trying to keep a clear look for Aiko so she could repair herself. Seeing little talk going on, Ashley asks, "Karakuri-san, how difficult is it to repair yourself without assistance?" trying to learn a little more about her roommate.

Just before Ashley asked her question Aiko closed her remaining eye and released the seals and locks holding her head securely fastened to her head. When she answered there was a slight but noticeable artificial quality to her voice. "Depends on the damage that needs to be repaired." The gynoid lifts off her head and gently sets it down. "This is actually fairly simple, but your help certainly helps. Camera on the damage please." With the head in front of her Karakuri gently lifts away the upper part of her cranium, getting a much clearer view of the area to be fixed, and the fact that there's a fair bit of wasted space inside the skull.

Seeing a body operating on its own detached head was probably a bit macabre, but Aiko wasn't thinking about that at the moment. Instead she was, ever carefully and gently, picking out the damaged pieces of her ruined eye. "A little to the left please Ashley-san." And similar slight guidances occasionally get said as the gynoid begins to reassemble her occular sensor from whole components. All in all the headless robot is remarkably fast and steady in her work. Before long the repairs are done and Aiko is able to lift the head back into place. Still, around her newly repaired eye the skin is visibly damaged. "Ah, seems I will have to wait until tomorrow to repair the synth-skin." Almost sheepishly Karakuri looks over at Ashley. "It wouldn't be good if someone saw me with this split skin. Perhaps, would you be able help me with some make-up? I have never acutally used it myself."

Finishing the repairs, Ashley commented, "You look much better now." having a tone of relief in her voice. "Um... makeup, uh... where can we get it? I could head back to my house, but..." She turned around in embarrassment, "Sis found me out as I tried to leave the first time, she will be expecting me if I try to head back."

Turning back to Aiko, she said, "Karakuri-san, would you like to know about my cousin Danielle, who I call 'Sis"? trying to see if Aiko had any interest.

Aiko perks up a little at the mention of Ashley's cousin. "Sounds interesting, I would like to hear about her. And please, and this stage I believe you may adress me as Aiko-san. At least when we're not in a crowd or so. But I'm sidetracking, do please tell me of your cousin."

Ashley made a smile, "Alright Aiko-san."

Ashley told her roommate what she knew about her cousin. "I meet Danielle when I first arrived here, some time after my mother was killed trying to get me to her sister's house. I called for help and she and another officer came out and took me to my home in West End." She left a pause before continuing, "I've always been close to her, calling her "Sis" like she was actually my sister. She cared for me and understood my issues I had that time ago. I've always looked up to her, trying to be like her, strong, optimistic, and brave." Ashley wondered if she was up to par with Danielle in those aspects now.

"Danielle is an assistant to police officers. She helps the other officers keep their notes organized, run a couple tests like blood samples... at least that what Sis has told me." She left another pause. She was at the hardest part to talk about. "Sis doesn't want me to work as a superhero. She believes that I'll get myself killed recklessly trying to save the day." She took a sigh before wrapping it up. "I understand what she says, but I became one to prevent more tragic deaths like my mom's. I don't want people to feel alone when they need help, I want to protect them, as someone that I can be proud of."

Ashley almost jerked a tear. She was beginning to hate talking about these, and she knew she was getting off topic, but... "I've told Danielle my motives for being one, and despite that, she still rejects the idea of me being a superhero, believing I should have a normal life to be happy while she does all the work for me."

Aikos listens attentively as Ashley tells of her cousin, her mind filing away information as it is revealed. "I can see both your own and your sisters perspectives here. Heroing as a rule comes to involve combat, super-powered combat at that. And such activity is dangerous. I'm designed with that in mind have still ended up scrapped more times than I care to count. Granted, a lot of that was due to my own, and the worm Otaku's foolishness. But still there's supers out there who can rip tank armour like sheet paper and hit harder than a battleship, though few are even half that powerful. So I can certainly understand your sisters dislike of the thought of you going out in a costume to fight criminals, super-powered or otherwise." Karakuri very tentatively reaches out and lays one hand on Ashley's shoulder. "But. It is your life, your decision to make. Just make sure to get good training, good gear and hopefully good backup so you come back in one, living, piece. I'll happily help you with anything I can, though I hope I won't need to build you any replacement limbs at any time."

Having a tender smile on her face, Ashley says "Thank you Aiko-san..." She tried to keep her composure as she speaks. "I know I'm not in the league of many of the other heroes here, power or experience-wise. But..." She takes a moment to calm down before continuing. "But I've always felt that I can help others, that I want to, so no one else suffers like I did when my..." She stops, sighs, then turns away. "Actually, I'd rather not talk about what happened that day. I need a minute to think..."

Ashley took a minute to calm down and think, "I've always told myself that this is what I will do... But is it something I will stick to? Is Danielle right about what she says?" She then remembers Aiko's line about making your decisions and decided. "I have people who will support me here, and my family will also give their blessings. Even if Danielle doesn't agree with my actions, she will always pray for my safety." She put another smile on her face as she turns back to Aiko, "If I know that I can stand by my friends when I fight, then I don't regret my decision."

Ashley started walking towards the door outside. "I don't know the time, but the sun may be coming up sometime soon. Aiko-san, Do you want to come back to our dorm room, or shall we head somewhere else? I've had enough of this area for one night."

"Good to know you are at peace with yourself." Aiko said while following Ashley towards the door. "Perhaps we could catch the sunrise before heading back to our dorm room? It is quite beautiful after all." Effortlessly overtaking the brunette Karakuri gets to the door first and holds it open for her friend. "I have been meaning to watchKannazuki no Miko today, you are of course welcome to join me Ashley-san."

Ashley watches her gynoid roommate pass by her, not that she minded. "I would enjoy seeing the sunset Aiko-san," She responds, adding "Always reminds me that a new day begins."

Ashley puts on a joyful smile as she passes the door, looking at Aiko. "I don't believe I have heard of that show before, but I would be glad to watch." As the two make their way to check the sunrise, Ashley thinks, "Danielle will want an explanation for earlier... Better not worry about it now, she's probably asleep." as she checks behind her to see Aiko following her at their own speed.

She thinks back to her father's words again, "Let the wind guide the path of the earth that will reach to the sky, but never let the sky overtake the earth. Let the earth be the top priority." and decides to follow his wisdom, to let the present lead to the future, without being overcome by the future.