Open Fields

Electra

He smiled a little, still staring at her happily. "If that was what the price to have you back was, I think it was completely worth it. Besides, I kind of like it. But maybe you'll be able to control it or change coloration at some point. Aren't there some plants that can do that," he asked curiously. He wrapped his arms around her, leaning back himself as they snuggled back on the couch. Ah, this was a good moment. But he blinked and paused a long while at her question. "Um...well, when I was freed, I, err, was going to go." He moved past that quickly. "Taylor told me to stay, that you might not be really gone. So, I was rather...insistent and gated us all here immediately." He shrugged one shoulder a little, not wanting to disturb her lying against him. "So, it's still sitting there, buried deep in the snow. No, I didn't destroy it. Nor do I intend to," he said softly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why not?" Stesha asked in surprise. "If it's something like what we destroyed in that lab, it's a terrible thing. I could see how it was hurting you and draining you. What if someone found it and figured out how to use it? They could hurt you! I think we should toss it back into space where it belongs." She nodded firmly to punctuate the sentiment.

He shook his head slightly. "This whole thing taught me a few things. And one of them is how dangerous I can be. If something were to go wrong, if i were controlled somehow, or if I became more like...Him, there needs to exist a way to stop me. The prison is a perfect solution. I'll give it to someone for safekeeping of course, but I won't destroy it." He shrugged, thoughtful. "You know, there is the hero out there. Brilliant man but he's walked, and possibly crossed, the line a long while. No powers, just skill and intelligence. He mentioned once having to stop some of us if we went 'evil'. Not me," he said. "And I disagreed with him. That we were all heroes and would never do such a thing. But I wonder if he was right. Some of us, like me I suppose, are simply too...powerful I guess," he said, never really seeing himself that way, "for conventional means to deal with. Just having the option there to stop someone like me might be the best for everyone. I can't...I don't think I could live with it if I did what he did; hurting or risking the world, killing people...killing you. I just...can't risk that."

Stesha moved then, abruptly tipping them both over so that he was flat on the couch and she was pinning his shoulders with her hands. "That's probably the stupidest thing I ever heard," she opined, looking down into his face with her hair tumbling around both of them. "Just because you met a bad version of you doesn't mean that you're going to go bad, or that you'd kill me or anyone else. I know you better than that. Deciding to keep around some, some torture device just out of this misguided idea that you might end up being dangerous, it's just crazy. Even thinking about you inside that thing makes me sick inside, can't you understand that? Can't we just get rid of it? If something bad did happen to you, mind control or something, we'd find another way."

Derrick shook his head in denial, even as he looked up at her. "I don't want to upset you. Never. But I'd rather you be a little upset with me than risk hurting you ever again, let alone the rest of the world. I would rather be dead than risk that. And I'm not going to just leave it as it, as a way to torture and kill me. I might be planning ahead, but I'm not completely daft. Some modification to make it just a prison again will be fine. That way you can find another way. Give yourself the time needed." He looked up and met her eyes. "I don't think I will ever 'go evil' or anything like that. I do sincerely believe everything will work out. But its smart to plan ahead. Not to mention...he's not dead. Just gone. I'm just trying to do the right thing here my love."

"It's not the right thing!" Stesha maintained loudly, giving his shoulders a little shake for emphasis. "That thing we destroyed was designed to steal your energy and kill you. Not only would you be dead, whatever had control of you would have a huge amount of power to do whatever they wanted! I don't care how trustworthy the person is who you give it to, they could be mind-controlled too, and then what..."

Stesha trailed off as the rest of what Derrick had said started to sink in. "Wait... you mean he could come back? He's not gone for good?"

Derrick shrugged, just a little since she was pinning him still. "My life for yours, or the worlds? I'll accept that trade without pause. How could I not? It's my responsibility to make sure I never endanger anyone if something were to happen. We'll adjust the thing so it doesn't drain me, just hold me. But it needs to be done! I was thinking Ace, or maybe Taylor and Jack. It's the right thing to do Stesha!" He nodded as she realized what he'd said. "He's me. Just a different version. We're effectively the same power-wise though. I possess the power of creation, the energy of a star. We can have that energy dispersed for a time, but it is isn't permanent. It's rather difficult to destroy energy. Whether that prison is used on me, or on Him, I won't risk anyone by destroying it," he said firmly. "I'm sorry. I don't want to upset you or worry you. I'll know when he reforms I think. He won't catch us by surprise ever again."

Stesha let him go, rolling to sit up on the opposite side of the couch. She fiddled with her hair, braiding it into segments with distracted fingers. "I still don't like it," she said, though the idea that the evil counterpart could come back had subdued her quite a bit. Even thinking about it made her scared to the point of nausea. She shifted the conversation instead. "Anyway, since when do we trust Jack? I can't think of anybody in Freedom City who calls themselves a hero that I would trust less with a huge amount of power."

He sat up, looking at her. He hated upsetting her, especially after what she'd gone through. And he hadn't really want to say anything at all. But she had asked and he couldn't lie about it. He knew this argument was likely going to haunt them for a while, but all couples argued a little, didn't they? Not that he would really know given his limited social experience. Still, it seemed logical enough.

"And I'm sorry. I really am. I just...it is the right thing to do." And then she brought up Jack, as he knew she would. He doubted she'd ever forgive him, not that she should have to. He generally sided with her of course, how could he not? But this was a bigger issue. "I trust him. I understand that's he's done things. Things which I strongly disagree with. But under it all, he's a good man. He just...looses himself sometimes." He shrugged one shoulder. "Besides, it wouldn't help him anyway. Such knowledge and power concepts are far outside his worldview or ability to manipulate." Of course the fact that Jack would likely 'pull the plug' on a dangerous Dark Star to protect the world or the ones he loved was not entirely lost on Derrick either. That was the part of the point after all. "Not to mention that if we entrust this to Taylor, and I think we should, Jack is almost certainly going to learn of it anyway. Stesha, who else would you have me entrust it to? Ace, Taylor and Jack are all heroes. They are good people. They are our friends. They would do the right thing."

"This is so stupid!" Stesha burst out, rising from the couch and glaring at him. "One minute you're saying you want to be with me until the stars go out, the next minute you're telling me that you're keeping what's basically a suicide booth handy just in case! That doesn't sound like planning on forever to me! And then on top of that, you want to give it to the worst hero in Freedom City, the one I wouldn't even trust alone in the dark, much less to make life and death decisions about you! What exactly are you trying to say, here? If you want forever, I'll give you forever, but I don't want your forever with all these caveats and what ifs and worst case scenarios! Why can't you just plan on being happy?" A few more tears rolled down her cheeks now, but she brushed them aside impatiently.

Uh oh. I think I upset her a little there. Wasn't I supposed to be helping make her feel better? "It's NOT a suicide booth. The draining aspect can be shut off and removed. Make it just a prison again. And I DO want to be with you forever, nothing will change that. Ever!" He was trying to stay calm, the voice of reason, not get agitated as well. But he couldn't just stop talking. "Who should I entrust it to? I'm not so daft that I want it to be a known fact. But if He comes back, don't you think we should be prepared? I thought Ace and Taylor knowing, besides you, would make you more comfortable with it." He was so very unhappy with the direction this conversation was going. "What do you want to say or do? You know how I feel about what we do, about my views. I can no more give those up than give up my powers! I do plan on being happy. With you. For as long as you'll have me. But I can't just quit on everyone. What would you have me do?"

"Get rid of that awful machine!" Stesha insisted. "We chased off your double once, we can do it again without keeping that thing around. It's evil, and we should destroy it right now." She turned away from him, walking stiff-legged over to the plants that were bristling at him in agitation. "It upsets me how little faith you have in the rest of us, that you think you need to do this. Should I make provisions to destroy myself if I ever get mind controlled? I have superpowers too, you know. What makes you so special that you have to make a martyr of yourself?"

Derrick stood as well. "It's not evil. It's just a machine. A cell, like any other. We have prisons to hold all sorts of dangerous people, even temporarily until they can be fixed/saved/cured. But beyond this one, I haven't found one for someone like me. I'm no different from anyone really. I'm no one special! I shouldn't be singled out at all; I should be treated the same as everyone else! If anyone can be locked up for breaking the law, shouldn't that possibility extend to me as well? Am I suddenly above the law? I have no intention of doing it of course, but its not just for me. Its for someone like me! I have COMPLETE faith in you to fix any problem! That's what this is for. To give time to fix a problem if it comes up! And I'm not going to martyr myself! But why is me taking precautions against someone who hurt you bad thing!? What do you want me to do? Just not bother to take precaution and not make sure it will never happen again?"

"He could lock you up as easily as you could lock him up, and then you wouldn't be there, again!" she lashed back, even as the plants rustled menacingly. "Keeping that thing around isn't going to stop him if he got out of it once, but it locked you up well enough. And then when you got out, you were just going to leave? That prison's not going to stop anything, it just makes things worse."

"That's why I'm not keeping it! So it'll be safe with someone we trust! He got out because it was broke and he fixed! Sorry that I'm not as devious as that! That damn prison is to protect you!" So much for remaining calm and collected. That one stung... "I was going to leave, that's right. There was no reason to stay. Not when every damn thing on the planet would just serve as a painful reminder of the only thing in the damn universe that truly matters to me!"

"Well I can protect myself!" Stesha shot back. "I'm immortal now, remember? I don't need that damn box, and neither do you. If I learned anything from this, it's that. Ace and Phantom got rid of your double, and I came back all by myself. And I'm not going to just stand around and watch you keep hold of the worst weapon against you because you're afraid of yourself. That's stupid, Derrick. Just like the idea that if I were gone, there wouldn't be anything for you here. What about your friends? What about your sister and your nephew who love you, and all the people depending on you? What if you'd gone and never knew I came back?" She twisted a plant stem hard enough to break it, then absently set it back into place and healed over the broken part. "Why can't you ever take anybody's advice?"

"Just because you're immortal doesn't mean I'm ok with you being hurt! He'd dispersed now but who knows where he'll reform? If we lock him up and toss the key away, we'll never have to worry about him showing up again. Why can't you see that I'm just trying to make sure he never harms you again?," he said with frustrated exasperation, wringing his hands. "Yes, they are my friend. Yes, I do have family. But when I came back to Earth, I never intended to stay. I was just going hang around a few more years until my niece and nephew were older and my sister's life would be easier. But beyond visiting every so often, I wasn't planning on staying on Earth when I got here. I had the entire...It doesn't matter anymore. Things are different now." He frowned and winced, realizing that he might have missed her return if it hadn't been for Taylor. "I do listen. And I do take advice and I do learn. If I didn't we never would have met on that first date. Nor would I be worried about someone hurting you."

"Fine, do what you want," Stesha snapped, stroking the stem of the injured plant with her fingers while it healed up. "Keep the damn box, give it to your best friend Jack, for all I care. You're certainly not listening to anything I have to say right now. Just don't bring it here. I never want to see anything like that again. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go lay down. It's apparently been a long couple of days." She stalked off down the hallway towards the bedroom in a way that made it quite clear her wasn't invited.

"But, I...uh..." he said softly, watching her stomp away. Now he was miserable; it felt like someone had just stomped all over him. And he had no idea why either. What had happened? One minute he'd been so giddy and grateful to have her back, almost blurting out a proposal. And the next, they were not getting along, yelling and mad at each other. What the heck happened?

His face sad and crestfallen, he watched he go until the door shut rather soundly behind her. Still, he watched the door for another long moment, just depressed. Miserable, he released the energy caged inside his human shell. Soon the pathetic looking Derrick was gone, replaced by the faceless Dark Star...who still felt pretty miserable. In no rush to do anything or go anywhere, he slowly floated up and out of the house, concealing himself once he'd be visible. He didn't know where to go now; he just knew she didn't want him here.

It was nearly dark by the time Stesha emerged from the cozy nest of her bedroom, washed her face, and prepared to face the world again. The apartment was empty, which made her feel bad all over again. To make up for it, she started preparing supper, slicing up vegetables that were just starting to wilt after her absence and tossing them into the crockpot. For two people who didn't need to eat or sleep, it didn't really matter if the pot roast was done at midnight.

Cooking kept her busy for a little while, but eventually the roast was cooking and the dishes were washed, and she was out of ideas. Stesha sat down on the couch and turned on the TV, hugging a pillow while she waited.

Dark Star hadn't done much. He'd moved the crux of their argument. He talked with some people. But generally he'd been kind of miserable. Even a quick jaunt through a few neighboring star systems and buzzing the stars hadn't done anything to cheer him at.

Eventually of course he slowly flew back down...both needing and dreading to return. He wanted to see her, needed to. But if she was still mad at him...would she kick him out? Life was so much simpler when it was just him. Not nearly as full of life and joy. But simpler.

He slowly dropped down through her ceiling, becoming visible as he canceled the power. He hovered just off the floor for a minute. "I...just wanted to make sure you're ok. See if there was anything I could do. I can go if you want," he said quietly.

Stesha looked up at him, hugging the pillow tighter. She'd been crying since the initial jag, her eyes were still a little puffy from it. She'd been busy with other things too, though, if the good cooking smells wafting from the kitchen were any indication. "No, don't go," she told him softly. "I'm sorry we fought earlier. I shouldn't have yelled at you, it's just... everything was so overwhelming, all at once."

It took a little concentration given his turbulent emotions, but soon enough Dark Star was gone and Derrick remained. "I'm sorry. No, it's my fault. You were upset and dealing with a huge thing. I shouldn't have brought it up or pushed. I just wanted to help and screwed everything up. I'm sorry I made things worse," he said, stepping close.

She reached out for his hand, tugging him down to sit next to her on the couch. "It was hard for both of us, I know. Let's just forget about it for right now. It's good to know we can fight and, and still be there for each other when the fight is over. That's important." She rested her head on his shoulder and sighed. "It really has been a hell of a day, hasn't it."

He gently squeezed her hand as he sat beside her. Sliding his arms around her, he sat back. Derrick let out a little sigh, releasing some of that buildup of tension as they settled back and he held her close. He nodded a little. "Always. But yes, it's been an awful several days really. I think it's safe to say it's been some of, if not the, worst ones I've ever had. Don't' ever any of us want to go through this again."