First Blood (IC)

Jack stared at her, so long Anya almost thought she'd said the wrong thing. "It's an easy life, isn't it? You never have to think past that night. The pleasures, the pain...it's all yours." He sighed softly, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, Anya. I can't undo what was done to you. All I can I do is give you my protection, and help you start your life again. Do you have living family?"

Anya eyes glossed over and she looked down as she nodded her head wistfully. She had thought about her family. She really didn't want to put them in danger. They say you can never go home, this is one of those sayings that rang true. "Yeah," her voice cracked a bit as she looked up to him, she cleared her throat and spoke up, "Please, I don't want her to have bargaining chips. My family doesn't deserve to be dragged into this." She made a note to call them later. If there was a later. She just didn't want them dead. Sure they weren't the best at parenting, but they were hers. She felt overly possessive. Was that a vampire thing? Every feeling magnified? Or was it because Jack made her feel like she had a kindred spirit? She didn't know, but she felt like she had found the right man to help her.

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm going to take you somewhere," said Avenger, making a decision as they both stood up. "It'll be a safe place." He certainly wasn't going to take a new vampire to his apartment, particularly with a new baby there, but he had plenty of safehouses she'd be able to use. "You'll have food there, and you'll be able to get yourself on your feet. And then we'll talk about what you want to do with your life."

Anya smiled and quickly embraced her new friend around his torso and laid the side of her head on his chest. "Thank you so much," she said in a relieved tone before letting him go just as quick. Well, hopefully he was a friend and not leading her into a trap. If so, this was some of the most beautiful bait ever. "Tell me more about this place," she began to cautiously query, "Are you going to be there too? Are there any more vampires like us?" She stopped herself before she just started blurting everything that was on her mind. After a nervous chuckle, she spoke softly, "Forgive me for being uppity."