Stat Yourself [Elseworlds/What If?] [IC]

Heridfel

The surrealness of the situation was not lost on Tony. For the last thirty minutes he had been walking in a living nightmare. Lost and confused, he had jus picked a direction and started heading that way. Better to actually do something than wallow in self doubt.

However, there was only just so much a person can take before he just looks at the sky and scream. And that is exactly what Tony does...a long and inarticulate scream vented at the top of his lungs aimed skyward.

As his voice winds down, Tony notices a man running towards him.

"Are you ok?"
asks the man. Tony just stares at him for a moment, unsure how to answer, when he hears him mutter,
"Captain Thunder..."
and glances up, to where the stranger is looking...in time to see a blue speck move by at high speed...a human shaped speck.

"No...can't be...Tony whispers himself, a sudden realization dawning up him. Before he can say another word, Tony witnesses something so startling that his eyes nearly pop from his head. Flowing up from the sidewalk, a being of concrete and glass forms. Dr. Metropolis has arrived in his peculiar and signature way. The stranger had his back to the arrival...but he turned at teh sound of the gravelly voice,

"It is still dangerous here. You should head indoors."

Both watch as Dr. Metropolis repairs the damages...picking up the streetlight and placing it back upright...the cracks in the glass mending themselves. Mumbling to himslef, getting louder with each syllable, "Freedom City....I am in Freedom City."

Turning towards the young stranger Tony looks him in the eye, "I am In Freedom City?"Shaking his head, Tony thrusts a hand out to the young man, "My Name is Tony....Tony Peters. And I beleive that I am very...very lost."

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The surrealness of the situation was not lost on Tony. For the last thirty minutes he had been walking in a living nightmare. Lost and confused, he had jus picked a direction and started heading that way. Better to actually do something than wallow in self doubt.

However, there was only just so much a person can take before he just looks at the sky and scream. And that is exactly what Tony does...a long and inarticulate scream vented at the top of his lungs aimed skyward.

As his voice winds down, Tony notices a man running towards him.

"Are you ok?"
asks the man. Tony just stares at him for a moment, unsure how to answer, when he hears him mutter,
"Captain Thunder..."
and glances up, to where the stranger is looking...in time to see a blue speck move by at high speed...a human shaped speck.

"No...can't be...Tony whispers himself, a sudden realization dawning up him. Before he can say another word, Tony witnesses something so startling that his eyes nearly pop from his head. Flowing up from the sidewalk, a being of concrete and glass forms. Dr. Metropolis has arrived in his peculiar and signature way. The stranger had his back to the arrival...but he turned at teh sound of the gravelly voice,

"It is still dangerous here. You should head indoors."

Both watch as Dr. Metropolis repairs the damages...picking up the streetlight and placing it back upright...the cracks in the glass mending themselves. Mumbling to himslef, getting louder with each syllable, "Freedom City....I am in Freedom City."

Turning towards the young stranger Tony looks him in the eye, "I am In Freedom City?"Shaking his head, Tony thrusts a hand out to the young man, "My Name is Tony....Tony Peters. And I beleive that I am very...very lost."

"Are you okay!" Lila exclaimed. She quickly stooped to help Bailey to her feet.

"Are the comics ok?"

"I'm sorry!" Lila said. "There was a storm . . ." Still apologizing, Lila stooped and began helping the man collect the fallen comics. "Sorry," she repeated once she and the man were face to face kneeling on the floor. When the comics were collected, Lila rose again, and, for the first time, got a good look around the shop. The oddity of the changes that she saw in the shop were eclipsed by the fact that Sam and Dylan were missing. "Where's Sam? Where's Dil?" Lila pushed open the door to the comic shop and looked outside. "Sam?"

"Are the comics ok?"

"I'm sorry!" Lila said. "There was a storm . . ." Still apologizing, Lila stooped and began helping the man collect the fallen comics. "Sorry," she repeated once she and the man were face to face kneeling on the floor. When the comics were collected, Lila rose again, and, for the first time, got a good look around the shop. The oddity of the changes that she saw in the shop were eclipsed by the fact that Sam and Dylan were missing. "Where's Sam? Where's Dil?" Lila pushed open the door to the comic shop and looked outside. "Sam?"

"Are the comics ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Bailey said, looking a little embarrassed at being made a fuss over.

"Where's Sam? Where's Dil?" Lila pushed open the door to the comic shop and looked outside. "Sam?"

Bailey looked around. "I don't know!" She turned to the two men in the comic shop. "Did you guys see the two girls with us. Short with black hair and tall with blond hair." Bailey held out her hand just above her head to approximate Sam's height. "They were just here . . ." Bailey took a step to the side to look down the isles of comics. She looked concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Bailey said, looking a little embarrassed at being made a fuss over.

"Where's Sam? Where's Dil?" Lila pushed open the door to the comic shop and looked outside. "Sam?"

Bailey looked around. "I don't know!" She turned to the two men in the comic shop. "Did you guys see the two girls with us. Short with black hair and tall with blond hair." Bailey held out her hand just above her head to approximate Sam's height. "They were just here . . ." Bailey took a step to the side to look down the isles of comics. She looked concerned.

James looks at Tony, tilting his head at the strange behavior and disbelief evident in Tony's voice. He starts thinking fast.

"So what you mean to say is that you weren't in Freedom City a little while ago?" James asks. His voice catches, and he glances back to his car.

"I think you'd better come with me. I'm not... a local, myself, either," he says. "We might need to stick together. I don't know what happened, but Doctor Metropolis," and he laughs a little nervously as he says the name, like he can't believe what he's saying either, "was right about here not being safe right now. Besides, there may be others."

He hits a button on his keys, and the lights on his car flash as it unlocks.

"I need to make a few calls, Tony. By the way, the name's James," he says as he pulls out his phone and starts redialing the last received call.

"Dr. Macleod? No, middle of a storm; not the standard meteorological kind from the sound of it. Everyone was indoors. Where's the next closest point - I'll make my way there," he says quickly, barely giving the other person time to answer.

He hangs up the cell and pulls himself into the car. He takes a deep breath and looks to Tony.

"Sorry. I don't know what happened, but if there... this is a comic book to you, right?" he asks.

Darren laughs, "No, Jerry doesn't get so many girls in here that he'd forget them. You're the only two to come in here in the last hour, and I figure that's because of the storm, right?"

Jerry looks a little more concerned about where Dylan and Sam might have gone.

"Did you check outside? Maybe they ran for cover somewhere else. They said it might rain today, but it wasn't supposed to be thunder and lightning. Could be Captain Thunder's fighting someone," he says. The last part is said in total seriousness, and actually, it sounds like he also has a bit of fanboy hopefulness in him.

James looks at Tony, tilting his head at the strange behavior and disbelief evident in Tony's voice. He starts thinking fast.

"So what you mean to say is that you weren't in Freedom City a little while ago?" James asks. His voice catches, and he glances back to his car.

"I think you'd better come with me. I'm not... a local, myself, either," he says. "We might need to stick together. I don't know what happened, but Doctor Metropolis," and he laughs a little nervously as he says the name, like he can't believe what he's saying either, "was right about here not being safe right now. Besides, there may be others."

"I need to make a few calls, Tony. By the way, the name's James," he says as he pulls out his phone and starts redialing the last received call.

"Dr. Macleod? No, middle of a storm; not the standard meteorological kind from the sound of it. Everyone was indoors. Where's the next closest point - I'll make my way there," he says quickly, barely giving the other person time to answer.

He hangs up the cell and pulls himself into the car. He takes a deep breath and looks to Tony.

"Sorry. I don't know what happened, but if there... this is a comic book to you, right?" he asks.

Darren laughs, "No, Jerry doesn't get so many girls in here that he'd forget them. You're the only two to come in here in the last hour, and I figure that's because of the storm, right?"

"Did you check outside? Maybe they ran for cover somewhere else. They said it might rain today, but it wasn't supposed to be thunder and lightning. Could be Captain Thunder's fighting someone," he says. The last part is said in total seriousness, and actually, it sounds like he also has a bit of fanboy hopefulness in him.

"A comic book? Yeah...you could say it was something like that," answers Tony as he slides into the seat next to James. Looking over at the young man, Tony realizes that James seems a bit nervous himself. Like he was unsure of himself, a feeling that Tony could sympathize with greatly.

Pulling the seat belt down and around himself, Tony collects his breath and and wits before proceeding," Look...less than an hour ago I was DRIVING in a snowstorm...during a whiteout. The next thing I know I wake up in an alley...here....without my car."

Looking out the window of the car as it proceeds down the street, Tony cannot help but be a littled awed. None of this should be real. None of this exists in the real world...his world. For a moment, Tony is silent.

"Seeing HIM rise out of the sidewalk...that...well, that isn't something even possible where I am from. HE isn't even real...James, I KNOW I am not where I started from," Tony chuckles for a moment, "Hell...that didn't come out right. James...I know this is not MY world anymore. And that means one of two things. One: I have gone crazy...broken from reality and I am living in my own fantasy world. OR, Two: The impossible DID happen. So...Tell me James...Am I crazy?"

"A comic book? Yeah...you could say it was something like that," answers Tony as he slides into the seat next to James. Looking over at the young man, Tony realizes that James seems a bit nervous himself. Like he was unsure of himself, a feeling that Tony could sympathize with greatly.

Pulling the seat belt down and around himself, Tony collects his breath and and wits before proceeding," Look...less than an hour ago I was DRIVING in a snowstorm...during a whiteout. The next thing I know I wake up in an alley...here....without my car."

Looking out the window of the car as it proceeds down the street, Tony cannot help but be a littled awed. None of this should be real. None of this exists in the real world...his world. For a moment, Tony is silent.

"Seeing HIM rise out of the sidewalk...that...well, that isn't something even possible where I am from. HE isn't even real...James, I KNOW I am not where I started from," Tony chuckles for a moment, "Hell...that didn't come out right. James...I know this is not MY world anymore. And that means one of two things. One: I have gone crazy...broken from reality and I am living in my own fantasy world. OR, Two: The impossible DID happen. So...Tell me James...Am I crazy?"

Lila pushed open the door further and walked out onto the sidewalk.

"Sam! Dylan!" she yelled.

"This is Dylan's fault! That girl..." Lila's thought was interrupted by what she saw outside. She reached inside the door, grabbed Bailey by the arm, and yanked her outside.

"Uh, what happened to Richmond?"

"This is Dylan's fault! That girl..." Lila's thought was interrupted by what she saw outside. She reached inside the door, grabbed Bailey by the arm, and yanked her outside.

James shrugs, his eyes on the road as he drives. "I don't know if you're crazy. I just met you. But if you are, it's not because you think you're in Freedom City. That definitely is the case," he says. He grins suddenly and widely. "And here, I apparently work for ASTRO Labs. My analog does, anyway. When I came here, I was wearing his clothes, with his wallet and all the rest. You check yours yet? It might have an address."

He continues to speak as Tony checks his wallet for information, or doesn't, as he prefers. "I guess I sound like I'm used to this. Really, I'm not. It was probably a little over an hour ago that it happened to me. I was on a roller coaster, and then I was in Freedom City. I think I was the first, but it sounds like there were several others besides us," he says. "It could be worse. I was a big fan; posted a lot on one of the forums by the name of Herid Fel... so at least I know what Freedom City is. It sounds like you do too; you looked like you recognized Doc Metropolis, and he isn't one of the big names like Captain Thunder."

James shrugs, his eyes on the road as he drives. "I don't know if you're crazy. I just met you. But if you are, it's not because you think you're in Freedom City. That definitely is the case," he says. He grins suddenly and widely. "And here, I apparently work for ASTRO Labs. My analog does, anyway. When I came here, I was wearing his clothes, with his wallet and all the rest. You check yours yet? It might have an address."

He continues to speak as Tony checks his wallet for information, or doesn't, as he prefers. "I guess I sound like I'm used to this. Really, I'm not. It was probably a little over an hour ago that it happened to me. I was on a roller coaster, and then I was in Freedom City. I think I was the first, but it sounds like there were several others besides us," he says. "It could be worse. I was a big fan; posted a lot on one of the forums by the name of Herid Fel... so at least I know what Freedom City is. It sounds like you do too; you looked like you recognized Doc Metropolis, and he isn't one of the big names like Captain Thunder."

seanavatar.jpg

Sean glanced around over shoulder, his fingers lying still on the keyboard. His focus still on the door behind him, his right hand slowly crept across to the mouse. Grasping it, the cursor made it's way down to the bottom of the screen maximising the window hidden there - now he had to work fast! His fingers raced over the keys, trying to get out the lastest post in an ongoing supers game he was rather enjoying. He glanced back over his shoulder and the coast was still clear, for now. He finished the last sentence - can't check over the post for spelling errors; no time, no time! - and then Sean clicked the previously maximised window to open in, revealing a rather boring data input screen - phew. At that very moment the door burst open and a large, heacy set man sauntered in, barking, "Sean!" Sean almost fell off of his chair with surprise. He swiveled his chair around, trying far too hard to be non-chalant, "Yeah boss?" The bigger man was looking around, as if he could smell something was wrong. He narrowed his eyes at the man attempting to look casual in the swivel chair. There was a moment of silence so profound it was only broken by a bead of sweat dripping from the bigger man's perspiring face that impacted the ground, then the bigger man spoke, "Lunch."

Sean had gotten out of there as quickly as he could and made his way past the news desks, through the editing suits and onto the elevator. Just before the doors closed, Sean made sure to salute the large picture of Peter Jones (their channel's head reporter) as he always did. Lunch was disappointing, the cafeteria never really catered for vegetarians, and so he made his way back up the elevator with a bowl of hot chips, plain rice and, of course, a bottle of sweet, sweet coke-a-cola. On the way up, a strange thing happened - the elevator stopped and lost all power. Everything went black for a moment, but Sean didn't have time to worry as he felt as if he'd been kicked in the stomach. He held his lower abdomen, doing his best not to spill his food or, more importantly, his coke. After a few moments, it all seemed to pass - the lights in the elevator came back on and physically, Sean felt much better. He looked at the coke and remembered his New Years resolution to go easy on the stuff - he answered the memory by taking a swig of the black gold as the elevator began is rise once again.

It only took him a few seconds after the elevator doors opened once again to realise something had changed. Where was Peter? Hanging on the wall in Peter's place was a man Sean had never seen. He cocked his head to one side and took a closer look at the framed photo, hm - guess you're in and out in this business. He shrugged and made his way off down the hall, hoping to sneak into one of the unused edit suits to acess his site again and call his girlfriend, unfortunately he was accosted on the way by his boss... who semed now to be wearing a pink shirt. Must keep a spare - he does sweat a lot. The heavy set man was barking as usual, doing his best to remind Sean of every bulldog he'd ever seen, "Sean! What're you doing here? Haven't you finished lunch yet? I sent you half an hour ago! Here, take this to Sam before you leave." He hands Sean a manilla folder and takes his plate of potato and rice from him. Sean has halted, looking confused. There was something about the way the man was speaking that irked him. His boss seems to take this as a personal insult, "What're you waiting for? Go!" Sean walks quickly away. Who's Sam? He gets into the elevator again, eyeing the changed picture suspiciously and not saluting. The elevator begins moving by itself, having been summoned by someone on another floor, and when it opens Sean recognises the garage, but not the tall, thin man waiting for him in cameraman's gear, "Sean, hey! Took your time." Seems this man is in a rush too, but he has a much nicer way about him, "C'mon, we better go..." Sean follows him out into the garage toward a camera van. The thin man motions to a news camera standing next to the van. "Can you stick that in the back?" Sean complies, and begins strapping the camera in the back of the van. The thin man comes around the back, "We've just got to shoot some overlay until the reporter arrives. Strap yourself in." And with that, the thin man closes the doors of the van, locking Sean inside. A few moments later and the van is driving through the garage with a very confused passenger in back.

seanavatar.jpg

Sean glanced around over shoulder, his fingers lying still on the keyboard. His focus still on the door behind him, his right hand slowly crept across to the mouse. Grasping it, the cursor made it's way down to the bottom of the screen maximising the window hidden there - now he had to work fast! His fingers raced over the keys, trying to get out the lastest post in an ongoing supers game he was rather enjoying. He glanced back over his shoulder and the coast was still clear, for now. He finished the last sentence - can't check over the post for spelling errors; no time, no time! - and then Sean clicked the previously maximised window to open in, revealing a rather boring data input screen - phew. At that very moment the door burst open and a large, heacy set man sauntered in, barking, "Sean!" Sean almost fell off of his chair with surprise. He swiveled his chair around, trying far too hard to be non-chalant, "Yeah boss?" The bigger man was looking around, as if he could smell something was wrong. He narrowed his eyes at the man attempting to look casual in the swivel chair. There was a moment of silence so profound it was only broken by a bead of sweat dripping from the bigger man's perspiring face that impacted the ground, then the bigger man spoke, "Lunch."

Sean had gotten out of there as quickly as he could and made his way past the news desks, through the editing suits and onto the elevator. Just before the doors closed, Sean made sure to salute the large picture of Peter Jones (their channel's head reporter) as he always did. Lunch was disappointing, the cafeteria never really catered for vegetarians, and so he made his way back up the elevator with a bowl of hot chips, plain rice and, of course, a bottle of sweet, sweet coke-a-cola. On the way up, a strange thing happened - the elevator stopped and lost all power. Everything went black for a moment, but Sean didn't have time to worry as he felt as if he'd been kicked in the stomach. He held his lower abdomen, doing his best not to spill his food or, more importantly, his coke. After a few moments, it all seemed to pass - the lights in the elevator came back on and physically, Sean felt much better. He looked at the coke and remembered his New Years resolution to go easy on the stuff - he answered the memory by taking a swig of the black gold as the elevator began is rise once again.

It only took him a few seconds after the elevator doors opened once again to realise something had changed. Where was Peter? Hanging on the wall in Peter's place was a man Sean had never seen. He cocked his head to one side and took a closer look at the framed photo, hm - guess you're in and out in this business. He shrugged and made his way off down the hall, hoping to sneak into one of the unused edit suits to acess his site again and call his girlfriend, unfortunately he was accosted on the way by his boss... who semed now to be wearing a pink shirt. Must keep a spare - he does sweat a lot. The heavy set man was barking as usual, doing his best to remind Sean of every bulldog he'd ever seen, "Sean! What're you doing here? Haven't you finished lunch yet? I sent you half an hour ago! Here, take this to Sam before you leave." He hands Sean a manilla folder and takes his plate of potato and rice from him. Sean has halted, looking confused. There was something about the way the man was speaking that irked him. His boss seems to take this as a personal insult, "What're you waiting for? Go!" Sean walks quickly away. Who's Sam? He gets into the elevator again, eyeing the changed picture suspiciously and not saluting. The elevator begins moving by itself, having been summoned by someone on another floor, and when it opens Sean recognises the garage, but not the tall, thin man waiting for him in cameraman's gear, "Sean, hey! Took your time." Seems this man is in a rush too, but he has a much nicer way about him, "C'mon, we better go..." Sean follows him out into the garage toward a camera van. The thin man motions to a news camera standing next to the van. "Can you stick that in the back?" Sean complies, and begins strapping the camera in the back of the van. The thin man comes around the back, "We've just got to shoot some overlay until the reporter arrives. Strap yourself in." And with that, the thin man closes the doors of the van, locking Sean inside. A few moments later and the van is driving through the garage with a very confused passenger in back.

seanavatar.jpg

As Tony listened to James, he took his advice and reached for his wallet. Pulling it out, Tony noticed that is was noticably thinner than usual...and that is was a different color. Tony stopped for a moment, holding the wallet like it was a dangerous animal. This, more than any of the other things, scared Tony. His life, or at least parts of his life were in this wallet. Slowly he opens the wallet...

And finds that not everything has changed. Beathing a sigh of relief, Tony stares at the photo of his wife...their wedding picture...his daughter, bith as a baby and her current picture. His Grandparents...all of the pictures were right. Flipping back to the front, Tony looks at his Driver's License. It also was the right one. His past...his former self was still there. Only NOW was different.

Looking over at James, Tony studies hims for a moment...then he hears the name Herid Fel. I know that name...Looking back forward, Tony chooses his next words carefully, " I know the name Herid Fel...Freedom City News....The Fan Site. James...I am Nightshyft. I post there also."

As Tony listened to James, he took his advice and reached for his wallet. Pulling it out, Tony noticed that is was noticably thinner than usual...and that is was a different color. Tony stopped for a moment, holding the wallet like it was a dangerous animal. This, more than any of the other things, scared Tony. His life, or at least parts of his life were in this wallet. Slowly he opens the wallet...

And finds that not everything has changed. Beathing a sigh of relief, Tony stares at the photo of his wife...their wedding picture...his daughter, bith as a baby and her current picture. His Grandparents...all of the pictures were right. Flipping back to the front, Tony looks at his Driver's License. It also was the right one. His past...his former self was still there. Only NOW was different.

Looking over at James, Tony studies hims for a moment...then he hears the name Herid Fel. I know that name...Looking back forward, Tony chooses his next words carefully, " I know the name Herid Fel...Freedom City News....The Fan Site. James...I am Nightshyft. I post there also."