Gold Status: 3/30

Character's Name: The Curator

Alternate Identity: Edward Elphinstone

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 140 lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Description:

Edward Elphinstone usually looks just like a normal member of boring academia - tweed jacket, dark slacks, slightly mussed hair, and a book in front of his face. Even with out the book in the way, his features are not particularly memorable. His thin frame reflects a tendency to forget to eat when engrossed in research. Even though his parents moved to Freedom City when he was very young, Edward's mixed accent reflects his Scottish heritage and the years he spent at Oxford.

When adventuring as The Curator, on the other hand, Edward triggers a simple spell to don a black domino mask and convert his clothes into a snappy, modern grey suit with a blue tie, which admittedly looks a little odd when you notice the winged sandals. He carries himself much more confidently in his heroic guise, but it is still clear that, under the mask, Edward is just more comfortable with books than people.

History:

When he was six years old, Edward Elphinstone's parents immigrated to Freedom City from Scotland, so that his father, Wallace, could accept a post as a Professor of English Literature at Freedom City University. Edward grew up quiet, reserved, and academic from the start, but any child growing up in Freedom City is bound to have dreams of being a hero now and then.

Eventually, his studies took him to Freedom City University, where he double majored in Art History and Anthropology, and then to Oxford, where he wrote a thesis on the use of magic in the crafts and rituals of ancient civilizations. Rather than follow in his father's footsteps and become a teaching professor, Edward decided he'd rather get his hands dirty, and spent several years participating in archeological digs across the world. Eventually, he returned to his home, Freedom City, and accepted a position working for The Hunter Museum of Natural History. He relished the opportunity to work with Daedalus and Eldritch in dealing with the various magical artifacts and relics housed in the museum, and was their first pick to be the new curator when elderly Mr. Gloucester retired.

Not long after his promotion, Edward found himself working late one night at the museum, examining an exquisite sword that supposedly had been wielded in the crusades. Hearing a crash from down the hall, he snatched up the sword and ran to confront the intruders. "Who ARE you?" they asked, as he struck the would-be thieves with his priceless weapon. "Well, ah, I'm the curator," he said, bemused.

The next morning's headlines amused him: "Mysterious New Hero - The Curator - Stops Robbery at Local Museum"

After that incident, Edward realized that somebody really ought to put all the magical trinkets and such in the museum to good use, for the good of the city and to keep them out of the hands of villains. He talked it over with Daedalus, and together they picked out a solid collection of magical equipment for Edward to wield. Edward Elphinstone now fights evil, protects the museum, and keeps priceless artifacts where they belong, all under the name of THE CURATOR!

Personality & Motivation:

Edward is quiet and bookish, with an excellent memory and a tendency to avoid any unnecessary socializing. His primary reason to become a hero was to protect the museum and to keep items of magical power out of the wrong hands. However, it's also a fulfillment of boyhood fantasies, and a way for the normally shy man to break out of his shell a bit. His idea of being a hero is somewhat idealistic, and certainly a bit cheesy, but he's honestly giving it the best he can, because he really does care about his home town.

The Relics:

Edward has a few items worth describing in more detail here:

-The Sword of Mercy: A steel longsword of medieval European design. It was wielded by a pious crusader who asked God to help him show mercy to his foes. Miraculously, his sword became seemingly invulnerable, but would no longer cut flesh or cause any harm beyond knocking an enemy unconscious.

-The Shield of Heracles: A large, round shield made of wood and covered in bronze in the Greek style, with an elaborate battle scene engraved upon it. Supposedly, this shield was crafted by the god Hephaestus and wielded in battle by Heracles himself.

-A pair of winged sandals: These ancient sandals with small, white wings attached to the heel were found in the tomb of roman magician who was apparently executed for impersonating the god Mercury. The wings flutter when the wearer flies with them.

-Magically reinforced suits: Imbued by Eldritch, these clothes have been made impervious to mundane harm, providing Edward with an extra bit of protection that he can wear anywhere and everywhere. Edward keeps several such outfits at home, although most of them are just variants on the same tweed jacket and slacks he is accustomed to wearing.

Powers & Tactics:

The Curator's primary combat tactic is to bash his opponents with his sword and shield, using his winged sandals to make up for a lack of any ranged offence. Additionally, his massive collection of magical trinkets allows him to gain extra protection from a specific opponent's attacks or pull out just the trick he needs to save the day. Outside of battle, Edward is an excellent researcher, and a somewhat competent investigator.

Complications:

Nothing Without His Stuff (Most of his major items can be summoned or kept on him at all times, but if they are taken far enough away, placed behind magical barriers, or otherwise made unavailable, Edward will be left nigh-powerless)

Responsibility (Edward is the Curator of a major metropolitan museum that houses objects of magical power, and has all the responsibilities that job entails)

Abilities: 0 + 0 + 0 + 8 + 4 - 2 = 10 pp

STR: 10 (+0)

DEX: 10 (+0)

CON: 16 (+3) (6 Enhanced)

INT: 18 (+4)

WIS: 14 (+2)

CHA: 8 (-1)

Combat: 6 + 8 = 14pp

Attack: +3 base, +5 Melee, +9 Sword

Grapple: +5

Defense: +9 (+2 Flat-Footed)

Knockback: -2

Initiative: +0

Saves: 2 + 3 + 4 = 9pp

Toughness: +5 (+3 con, +2 Magic Suit)

Fort: +5 (+3 con, +2)

Ref: +3 (+3)

Will: +6 (+2 wis, +4)

Feats: 11pp

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 2

Benefit 1: Well-off

Connected (archeologists and art dealers)

Dodge Focus 1

Eidetic Memory

Luck

Ritualist

Power Attack

Skills: (40r = 10 pp)

Computers 1 (+5)

Concentration 3 (+5)

Investigate 1 (+5)

Knowledge:

-Arcane Lore 11 (+15)

-Art 6 (+10)

-Earth Science 1 (+5)

-History 6 (+4)

-Theology/Philosophy 1 (+5)

Notice 3 (+5)

Profession (Museum Curator) 6 (+10)

Search 1 (+5)

Equipment: (all accounted for by wealth/profession):

-Smartphone

-Laptop

-Camera

-Archeologist's tools

-Sensible car

Headquarters: The Museum (free, as a public place and Edward's 'real' job)

-Size +2 (large)

-Lab

-Library

-Fire Prevention

-Security

Powers: 4 + 14 + 5 + 3 + 14 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 52pp

Comprehend Languages 2 (speak one at a time, understand all) [4pp]

Strike 5 ("The Sword of Mercy" [Holy, Artifact], Extras: Penetrating 5, Feats: Accurate 2, Affects Insubstantial, Improved Critical 2, Drawbacks: Non-lethal only) [14pp]

Container 1 ("The Shield of Heracles" [Crafted by Hephaestus] [5pp]

-Shield 4 (+defense) [4pp]

-Power Feat: Stunning Attack

Flight 1 ("winged sandals" [Roman, Magic], Extras: Duration (Continuous)) [3pp]

Gadgets 1 ("magic trinket collection" [magic], Variable Power, Any Power, Multiple Powers At Once, Hard to Lose) [14pp]

-Flameward Amulet (Immunity 5 - Fire Damage [5pp])

-Mask of Veritas the Elder (Super-Sense - Sight Counters Concealment, Counters Illusion [4pp])

-Wanderer's Stone (Teleport 5, Flaws: Long-Range Only, [5pp])

Enhanced Con 6 ("amulets of health and protection" [magic]) [6pp]

Impervious Protection 2 ("magically reinforced suit" [magic]) [4pp]

Morph 1: (costume [magic]; Extra: Duration/Continuous) [2pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed: 15/Toughness

Sword: 19/Toughness

Stunning Attack: 14/Fort

Total: 10 + 14 + 9 + 11 + 10 + 52 = 105/108pp

I see nothing wrong here, but Impervious Toughness 1 is a waste of points. You have to meet or beat Impervious. Sure it protects you from things with +0 damage, but then again, who has that? I'm not saying you have to get rid of it, I'm just saying you should know your options. Give me your answer and then I will stamp.

I see nothing wrong here, but Impervious Toughness 1 is a waste of points. You have to meet or beat Impervious. Sure it protects you from things with +0 damage, but then again, who has that? I'm not saying you have to get rid of it, I'm just saying you should know your options. Give me your answer and then I will stamp.

Having Impervious 1 on your suit is something I picked up from a friend. It mainly represents that his clothes/costume will never get damaged by mundane stuff. When I was GM'ing for this friend, I told him once something like "... and the food spills all over your suit. That's gonna leave a nasty stain."

"No it won't," he told me, "my suit is Impervious 1."

So, yeah, sort of a flavor thing in my mind. Don't really have anything else I'm desperate to put 1 point into, and besides, I can upgrade it later as he grows. I could see the suit eventually hitting Impervious Protection 3 or 4 by the time he's PL 10.

• 2 months later...